planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:50 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/por ... d-1024214/

Pretty impressive time. Sure it's not being restricted by regulations anymore, and F1 cars are, but great to see what can be unleashed from the LMP1s when the rules are relaxed.

I've thought for several years now that LMP1 should be what F1 becomes. The look, the racing and the culture (in my opinion) is leagues above the best F1 can provide.

I hope they release an onboard lap video.

Quote:
Among the changes made to the 919 'Evo' are an enlarged front diffuser and rear wing, the addition of DRS at the front and rear, and considerably more power, with Jani reaching a top speed of 359km/h (223mph) thanks to the 2.0-litre V4 engine being tuned to produce around 720bhp - compared to the 500bhp it had previously due to LMP1 fuel flow regulations.

The hybrid system has also been tweaked to deliver an additional 40bhp compared to the 2017 version.

Last edited by Toby. on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am 

The record will be broken again in a few months when F1 returns to the circuit. I actually think the future of F1 should be something of a ix between the LMP1 designs and F1 designs. Sort of like those Red Bull concept cars in the GT games.

BTW did you catch Jenson finishing second in Super GT int he first race!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h1m3QiTc0I

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 am 

It's impressive, and interesting to be able to put a number to what you lose due to restrictions.

I wonder how many seconds Mercedes could shave off with a similar approach to the rules and a PU designed to last only one race? :twisted:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 am 

Not something I thought would happen even with the modifications. Stunning performance by Porsche. I hope they release the in-car footage!

They'd probably outpace an F1 car round Monza as well, some other track(s) maybe too?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:25 am 

Nice PR stunt. Such a company like Porsche have resources to build prototype that can beat all track records. I would have been shocked if they didn't beat any records in such a custom car. It reminds me of Sebastian Loeb Pike Pikes hill climb record where they basically used very heavily modified LMP1 prototype. With such a big resources of former LMP1 team it was not question whether they would beat that record, but rather by what margin they wanted to beat it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxa8d0YM_10