planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 pm 

I think some people are being too harsh on Bottas. He clearly ran out of time. The one opportunity he had would have been a crazy divebomb attempt on the inside, which many people on here actually frown upon. So I'm just going to give him a pass on that one. He needed more laps to get the job done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:59 pm 

Invade wrote:
Yeh, Bottas was very underwhelming in the end,

He bottled it with that look down the inside of turn 1 on the last lap which was a nothing move and just compromised his entry into turn 1 and 2.

What was clear from the previous laps was that Vettel was stronger in S3 and was able to get enough of a gap to remain relatively safe down the pit straight. However, he really struggled in the turn 1,2, and 3 sequence. Therefore, on the final lap Bottas should have been trying to take a wide entry into turn 1 in order to nail the exit of turn 2 and have a go at Vettel into turn 3.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:01 pm 

dsf1 wrote:
gregs51 wrote:
Attack on Vettel came too late. I’ve said it before but I think Mercedes are strategically vulnerable when the pressure is on. Governed entirely by timing screens and not what’s actually observable on track. The race was there to be won today and they dropped it.

I've thought this for a couple of years now. Considering how many people they have analysising the race data they do seem to make plenty of strategy errors.

Think Bottas was probably given the hurry up too late but he still had a chance there. When he put the hards on, I got him at 8/1 to win the race so I'm pretty disappointed he didn't throw it up the inside at turn 1

Once Kimi pitted, it was clear that Vettel was going to 1 stop. From that moment, Mercedes should have been telling him to push.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:03 pm 

It's a shame that Kimi and Ricciardo retired - the race would have been really exciting if we had 3 one stoppers vs 2 two stoppers.

Unfortunately the midfield is too far behind that it doesn't matter what they do. No chance of a Canada 2012 like surprise due to different tyre strategies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:03 pm 

Good race. Vettel did a good job, Bottas should have passed him, Hamilton making what will probably be the overtake of the year, Gasly hugely impressive, great job by Honda, great drive from Ericsson.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:08 pm 

pc27b wrote:
minchy wrote:
Is it not possible to still service the car by pushing it backwards if it hasn't left the pit lane?

i believe, but am not positive, they could have pushed it back and changed the tire. problem is they had a guy laying in the pit box with a severely broken leg. that needed to be dealt with. sucks for kr, but nothing to be done about it. sucks worse for the mechanic, obviously
Apart from feeling my own ankle remembering being broken (I hope that's not the case for the mechanic today, but I fear the worst), I didn't understand why Räikkönen wasn't sent out to rack up the test laps.

But that pitstop accident is simply ridiculous; why we have mandatory pitstops is beyond me.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

Have to say Kimi's attitude was disappointing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 pm 

Sappher wrote:
j man wrote:
Gav25182 wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
erm..... Kimi

Also, depends what happened. If the light went green, there's no fault from the driver.

I'm sure the light was green. I checked.

Yep, light was green, and as mentioned, just by looking at the slow mo of the pit stop, leg is broken just below knee. Kimi was fuming inside the car once he stopped, he has closing in on Bottas before the stop.

I think it's time to scrap the automated traffic lights. The 2s pit stops are an impressive feat, but they are dangerous.

I agree. The mechanics' safety should be taken just as seriously as the drivers', and these automated systems are demonstrably dangerous and have resulted in too many incidents of cars being wrongly released.

Yeah, they've haven't really ironed out the gremlins since these systems were introduced. I think they said on channel 4 it works on the torque readings from the wheel guns. In the past I think the mechanics had to press a button when their wheel was fitted. Pit stops should remain somewhere that mistakes can happen to make things exciting but it seems to me they've gone too far with these traffic light systems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:15 pm 

Other issues cause me to have to watch a delayed/taped broadcast on Direct TV (recorded).

A few comments - bad deal for Ferrari mechanic/tire-changer - agree with others in that "someone" live should be calling the release of cars NOT some dang electronic devices.

Kudos to Vettle for he carried the day for Ferrari with his "skill" on tires that were defiantly toasted, long before the race ended - Bottas should have had him for breakfast and missed an excellent opportunity today.

....and finally after all the angst I had over the switch over to ESPN for F1 coverage here in the US -one big terrific ATTA BOY for ESPN2; for this is first time many years that I have been able to watch "every-single-second" of the race (as there was not one commercial from "lights-out" to the checked flag). Can't say I'm all that enamored with the commentating, but I'll take 100% coverage any day of the week - it is fun knowing ya never missed any of the action - hope they keep this programing up. I found this to be absolutely incredible on ESPN's part - even with my disappointment over my expectations for Kimi in the race, whom I was hoping would have a banner day, (suspect it really sucks to be him having not only to suffer the DNF, but to have possibly ended the career of one of his teammates as that appeared to be a very bad hit), hope he recovers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 pm 

I saved the clip showing what really happened in that failed Raikkonen pit stop. I hate seeing that kind of crap.

The consequences are that Ferrari will get (and deserve) a powerful fine. Another result I anticipate is that the FIA will clamp down even further on pit activities. We will never see refueling, and it is a good thing everyone is forced to wear protective helmets. But I also anticipate that no team will be allowed to throw dummies as we witnessed Mercedes doing. If the crew has to come out in the pit lane, they cannot cancel it, they must follow through with a pit stop. I expect that to happen.

I also expect that from now on, positioning of body parts by crew members will be monitored, it seems genius in hindsight, but from now on, no one can stand (or place any body part) directly in front of any car part (with the exception of the front jack man). This will slow down pit stop times, but it will affect all teams equally.

The methods in how team release their cars will be studied, and this too I expect changes. We should never have a repeat of that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm 

kleefton wrote:
I think some people are being too harsh on Bottas. He clearly ran out of time. The one opportunity he had would have been a crazy divebomb attempt on the inside, which many people on here actually frown upon. So I'm just going to give him a pass on that one. He needed more laps to get the job done.

Respect that someone thinks similar to me. It isn't just because I'm a fan of Bottas that I'm against all the people saying he didn't do enough. He got closer every lap. But got closer by a smaller margin each lap. Even though his tyres were newer and clearly in better condition, he will have been affected by dirty air. And although Bottas was quicker at that stage, lets remember Ferrari certainly have had the better car all weekend and Bottas was a fraction off Vettel in both qualifying and the race. I also think that overall, he did a slightly better job than Hamilton over the whole weekend. If the team had let Bottas flaw it just 2 laps sooner, I think he will have won. He did not have a bad race and I can't understand all these negative comments. Hamilton looked to struggle on more occasions if I'm honest. Although Hamilton ended pretty close to Bottas, it was clear that the team had told Bottas to manage his tyres as when he was told to push, his change in pace was simply huge. Then when he hit dirty air, it clearly showed. I think he did the best he could do and had a very solid weekend. But Vettel certainly was better. One reason why I think it makes Bottas look worse than he really was. IMO, this drive by him was better than a lot he had last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm 

Toto unhappy with Bottas?

I thought he drove an OK race.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm 

I really thought renault would be doing better this season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
I knew Bottas was a useless driver, but jeez, that is a totally another level of incompetent driving.

I know it was against a top, top, top drawer driver, but still.

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:18 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I saved the clip showing what really happened in that failed Raikkonen pit stop. I hate seeing that kind of crap.

The consequences are that Ferrari will get (and deserve) a powerful fine. Another result I anticipate is that the FIA will clamp down even further on pit activities. We will never see refueling, and it is a good thing everyone is forced to wear protective helmets. But I also anticipate that no team will be allowed to throw dummies as we witnessed Mercedes doing. If the crew has to come out in the pit lane, they cannot cancel it, they must follow through with a pit stop. I expect that to happen.

I also expect that from now on, positioning of body parts by crew members will be monitored, it seems genius in hindsight, but from now on, no one can stand (or place any body part) directly in front of any car part (with the exception of the front jack man). This will slow down pit stop times, but it will affect all teams equally.

The methods in how team release their cars will be studied, and this too I expect changes. We should never have a repeat of that.

I think the FIA have done what they can already to outlaw throwing dummy pitstops, in that I believe the team have to demonstrate that they at least intended to make a pitstop.

I don't think Mercedes deliberately threw a dummy today, they really just wanted Bottas to do the opposite of what Vettel did that lap. So they needed to be ready for the possibility that Vettel didn't pit and in which case Bottas would have done. I don't think it's fair to ban that sort of tactic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:44 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

Merc nailed the strategy, and Bottas totally dropped the ball what should've been a win. Do you want Toto to dance instead?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:51 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Merc nailed the strategy, and Bottas totally dropped the ball what should've been a win. Do you want Toto to dance instead?

How exactly did he drop the ball according to you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 pm 

Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
I knew Bottas was a useless driver, but jeez, that is a totally another level of incompetent driving.

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

I also dont understand the hate Bottas es getting right now.

The guy comes from a DNF in Australia so its important for him to get a good finish, gets P3 on qualy over Hamilton, manages to get second at the start and hunts down Vettel at the end, could not make a pass but only just and still gets flamed. I think he drove well, took a look to pass but was not there and brought the car home. He is not at Seb or Ham level but he did his job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 pm 

Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Why don't you re-watch the race and see it for yourself? I am not here to do a recap of the race for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:11 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

The guy comes from a DNF in Australia so its important for him to get a good finish, gets P3 on qualy over Hamilton, manages to get second at the start and hunts down Vettel at the end, could not make a pass but only just and still gets flamed. I think he drove well, took a look to pass but was not there and brought the car home. He is not at Seb or Ham level but he did his job.

Maybe it got even not that much with Bottas himself to do. But with Vettel-Hamilton rivalry,and Bottas being a collateral damage here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:11 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Why don't you re-watch the race and see it for yourself? I am not here to do a recap of the race for you.

Nice...

You made the statement... back it up with your thoughts. I was wondering how he "dropped the ball" as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm 

Blake wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Nice...

You made the statement... back it up with your thoughts. I was wondering how he "dropped the ball" as well.

I´m guessing he can´t. Unless we count arguments like "he shooda won".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:21 pm 

Prema wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

Maybe it got even not that much with Bottas himself to do. But with Vettel-Hamilton rivalry,and Bottas being a collateral damage here.

Exactly this.

They are upset Bottas did not stop Vettel from inflicting maximum damage on Hamilton.

The same people arguing last year Bottas was better than Rosberg its just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:22 pm 

Prema wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

Yeah, that crossed my mind, maybe some fan bias, Bottas was the last hope some had for preventing a Vettel win, Bottas could not take the win away so he must be trash. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
Prema wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Just pathetic.

Overreact much?

Yeah, that crossed my mind, maybe some fan bias, Bottas was the last hope some had for preventing a Vettel win, Bottas could not take the win away so he must be trash. :uhoh:

It doesn´t help when the Sky team (mostly Brundle) was rooting for Bottas during those last laps like some typical Vettel hater / Hamilton fan from this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:29 pm 

Covalent wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Prema wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Overreact much?

It doesn´t help when the Sky team (mostly Brundle) was rooting for Bottas during those last laps like some typical Vettel hater / Hamilton fan from this forum.

well, speaking as someone who preferred Vettel to win, I don't think Bottas was great today. I don't think he was poor, exactly - after all, he stayed in touch with Vettel's Ferrari, which is more than Kimi managed! - but I think a better driver would have managed to make a better attempt at mugging Vettel at the end. Driving fast is only half the expectation of an F1 driver in my book: he also needs to show he can create opportunities, too

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:49 pm 

Euro 50 000 for Ferrari. A joke IMO - that's virtually nothing for them. And it will not change anyones approach regarding mechanics safety.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 pm 
Hamilton might have won that if he started 4th, but he was already 14 seconds behind Vettel on lap 3.

People saying Kimi had a bad race, he was 2.5 seconds behind Vettel after lap 1 (field spread) and on lap 35 when he retired was 6.2 seconds behind. He lost 3.8 seconds in 35 laps to Vettel.

Ferrari played a smart move though, having 1 car on one stop and one on 2 stops. Kimi had a very good chance to win the race if he didn’t have his problem.

He was on SS to the end. 1-2 compounds softer than everyone else with 15-17 lap fresher tyres, my calculations have win winning or at least in the train with Bottas and Vettel at the end.

Last edited by lamo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 pm 

lamo wrote:
Hamilton might have won that if he started 4th, but he was already 14 seconds behind Vettel on lap 3.

People saying Kimi had a bad race, he was 2.5 seconds behind Vettel after lap 1 (field spread) and on lap 35 when he retired was 6.2 seconds behind. He lost 3.8 seconds in 35 laps to Vettel.

Ferrari played a smart move though, having 1 car on one stop and one on 2 stops. Kimi had a very good chance to win the race if he didn’t have his problem.

He was on SS to the end. 1-2 compounds softer than everyone else with 15-17 lap fresher tyres, my calculations have win winning.

I don't think that Vettel was originally on a 1-stop with Kimi on a 2-stop, I think that situations determined their strategy in race.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm 
Blake wrote:
lamo wrote:

He was on SS to the end. 1-2 compounds softer than everyone else with 15-17 lap fresher tyres, my calculations have win winning.

I don't think that Vettel was originally on a 1-stop with Kimi on a 2-stop, I think that situations determined their strategy in race.

Indeed, but they played it smart. Splitting the cars at the moment they decided to pit Kimi. They realised Kimi could not get Bottas so switched him to 2 which meant if every bodies tyres went he would likely win.

Last edited by lamo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm 

lamo wrote:

Kimi's second stint was poor. He mad very little in road to Bottas despite being on faster tyres that didn't need to last anything like as long. He should've been way quicker than Bottas at that time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 pm 
mikeyg123 wrote:
lamo wrote:

Kimi's second stint was poor. He mad very little in road to Bottas despite being on faster tyres that didn't need to last anything like as long. He should've been way quicker than Bottas at that time.

That is assuming Kimi was on a 2 stopper all along, how do you know that? He took 3 seconds out of vettel in the 2nd stint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Euro 50 000 for Ferrari. A joke IMO - that's virtually nothing for them. And it will not change anyones approach regarding mechanics safety.

50,000 may not be anything but the loss of one car from the race will hit them harder. Nobody is trying to botch a pitstop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 pm 

Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I thought that Valtteri could have taken the fight to Seb sooner. If he had pushed Seb earlier, Seb would have to have driven more laps on what were junk tires at the end of the race. I can't say that Valtteri would have had the car or tires to take the fight to Seb earlier but I remember wondering as early as lap 40 why Merc and Bottas weren't already pushing him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:04 pm 

Covalent wrote:

Someone's looking too much into it, it's called racing and surely most fans wanted a dramatic ending to the race. It's not that often fans get to see a race for the win and it doesn't always have to involve Hamilton however much it seems like you want it to be so you can have a moan.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:04 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I thought that Valtteri could have taken the fight to Seb sooner. If he had pushed Seb earlier, Seb would have to have driven more laps on what were junk tires at the end of the race. I can't say that Valtteri would have had the car or tires to take the fight to Seb earlier but I remember wondering as early as lap 40 why Merc and Bottas weren't already pushing him.

I think that's Merc more than Bottas. Bottas was clearly driving to a delta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I think that's Merc more than Bottas. Bottas was clearly driving to a delta

:nod:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:09 pm 

lamo wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
lamo wrote:

That is assuming Kimi was on a 2 stopper all along, how do you know that? He took 3 seconds out of vettel in the 2nd stint

cos he was on the Softs and they weren't designed to go that long. Vettel changed his strategy to a one stop on the fly, but initially both he and Kimi were looking to do two stops

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 pm 
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
lamo wrote:

cos he was on the Softs and they weren't designed to go that long. Vettel changed his strategy to a one stop on the fly, but initially both he and Kimi were looking to do two stops

Indeed, so they were both 2 stopping and Kimi was quicker than Vettel and closed him from lap 1 of the 2nd stint... yet Kimi was slow in 2nd stint. Not aimed at you, but Mike.

Also Bottas on a compound harder was catching Vettel, so its not like he was slow. He was easily the fastest man on track at that moment.

Last edited by lamo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm 

Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

Remember too that when Vettel (and Kimi) came back on track after the pitstop they were not driving as though they were saving their tires to last 40 laps. That makes me even more surprised that Vettel's tires lasted as long as they did.