All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:41 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Noni wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Just read 1 atrocious if not silly rumour!!!!

As per reports in Belgium, Ocon will replace Vandoorne at McLaren from Belgian Grand Prix onwards.

I feel sorry for Vandoorne, don't think his talents has been justified. However, I do like Ocon though, would be great to see him knock the pants off Alonso :lol: .... I am a Alonso fan, but really he has no-where to go other then McLaren and since he's there, will only score a few points here and there. He should leave and move to America IMO... Now Kimi's contract seems to have been concluded for another year, if Alonso leaves, then it will leave only 1 veteran left in F1...

I'd reckon both Hamilton & Vettel would be classed as veterans these days.

The next to go. ;) I have a feeling that Hamilton will leave in 2021.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
There are a lot of rumours about drivers moving seats before next race, so many that I think we should consider the possibility. Stroll taking over Force India has changed the landscape and the grid could look very different come next race even.

Surely certain contracts are in place that can't be broken?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Noni wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

As per reports in Belgium, Ocon will replace Vandoorne at McLaren from Belgian Grand Prix onwards.

I feel sorry for Vandoorne, don't think his talents has been justified. However, I do like Ocon though, would be great to see him knock the pants off Alonso :lol: .... I am a Alonso fan, but really he has no-where to go other then McLaren and since he's there, will only score a few points here and there. He should leave and move to America IMO... Now Kimi's contract seems to have been concluded for another year, if Alonso leaves, then it will leave only 1 veteran left in F1...

In particular Hamilton, is he not the next oldest driver behind Alonso and Kimi?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:42 am 

Noni wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Noni wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

The next to go. ;) I have a feeling that Hamilton will leave in 2021.

That's very possible, maybe depends on the new regs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 pm 

Fernando Alonso has tweeted with a date - 14th August:

Seems he'll be announcing his next move!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:33 pm 

Fernando makes an announcement on Tuesday that'll be interesting...... (if it happens)

he stays on at McLaren
Indycar with Andretti
Retires but takes part in the 500 again and maybe World Endurance

Also I've thinking about Carlos Sainz options.

Red Bull
McLaren
Haas
Force India
Toro Rosso but wouldn't he rather join someone like Haas than go back to T.R?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:18 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
No! No! No!!! I hope this is just a rumour.

http://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-kimi-ra ... ish-media/

That's a shame because LeClerc is probably better than Vettel nevermind Raikonnen. Ferrari need to get adventurous in their driver selections otherwise they will continue to lose to Mercedes even if they have a better car. Kimi has put in his usual extra effort when he thought his seat was at risk, now it's probably back to autopilot cruise mode ! Both Vettel and Raikonnen have serious flaws, start getting the youngsters in now especially when they are talented and fast !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Fernando Alonso has tweeted with a date - 14th August:

Seems he'll be announcing his next move!

Hope it's Indy for McLaren/Andretti so he can come back to F1 if they ever get competitive. I really would like him in Indy so he can have a competitive car and so we can truly start calibrating their drivers especially given his propensity to race any style of car fast. He would also add a lot of shine to their series given his star quality. Anyway he looks happy with his choice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 pm 

iano wrote:
Noni wrote:

Though I like Alonso, I think his days are numbered. Whether McLaren are keeping him for experience and talent, then I respect that. For Alonso to pick up a few points here and there is a waste of talent IMO. If they do another Indy 500 as they did last year, well you never know?.... Would love to see fresh blood and see both Kimi and Alonso leave... They are both 2 drivers from a different era of F1 and should open the doors to newer talent.

Of course his days are numbered. It is called a calendar.

I chuckled :lol:

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
In case anyone was still thinking about it, Horner has ruled out Alonso for Red Bull in the podcast. He said something like respecting Alonso's achievements but not at all being charmed with the chaos he leaves behind in each team he drives for.

yes, confirmed here:

“I have got huge respect for Fernando. He’s a great driver, a fantastic driver," Horner said.

“But I think it’s very difficult to see… he tends to cause a bit of chaos wherever he’s gone. I’m not sure it would be the healthiest thing for the team for Fernando to join the team.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/902973/1/red-bull-unlikely-sign-chaotic-alonso-2019-horner

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 am 

paulsf1fix wrote:
Fernando makes an announcement on Tuesday that'll be interesting...... (if it happens)

he stays on at McLaren
Indycar with Andretti
Retires but takes part in the 500 again and maybe World Endurance

Also I've thinking about Carlos Sainz options.

Red Bull
McLaren
Haas
Force India
Toro Rosso but wouldn't he rather join someone like Haas than go back to T.R?

I'm just wondering why you think he has all those options?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:08 am 

Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
In case anyone was still thinking about it, Horner has ruled out Alonso for Red Bull in the podcast. He said something like respecting Alonso's achievements but not at all being charmed with the chaos he leaves behind in each team he drives for.

yes, confirmed here:

“I have got huge respect for Fernando. He’s a great driver, a fantastic driver," Horner said.

“But I think it’s very difficult to see… he tends to cause a bit of chaos wherever he’s gone. I’m not sure it would be the healthiest thing for the team for Fernando to join the team.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/902973/1/red-bull-unlikely-sign-chaotic-alonso-2019-horner

I can't help feel that's a bit like being called into the office to be told you are sacked only for you to reply no I resign. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:19 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

yes, confirmed here:

I can't help feel that's a bit like being called into the office to be told you are sacked only for you to reply no I resign. :)

Is there any indication at all that Alonso was trying to get into Red Bull?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 am 

pokerman wrote:
spacejock wrote:
I reckon Red Bull should put Hartley in the seat alongside Verstappen next year. He's older, wiser and more experienced than Max, and I doubt he'd rock the boat (unlike Sainz or Gasly, who are Max/Dan Baku incidents just waiting to happen.)

I don't think Hartley's had a fair chance this year, with a lot of issues that weren't of his own making. And if it doesn't work out, they can always switch him with one of the TR drivers next year.

It would be unusual to promote the slower driver, that's not how it normally works.

Yeah, I agree. It just depends if they want a Max in each RB car.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

yes, confirmed here:

I think it's a dig at Honda TBH.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 am 

pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:
There are a lot of rumours about drivers moving seats before next race, so many that I think we should consider the possibility. Stroll taking over Force India has changed the landscape and the grid could look very different come next race even.

We're all expecting some driver line up changes for 2019 but what are the chances of some drivers getting replaced in this summer break before Spa?

Am reading ridiculous rumours here & there. The most recent being Stroll will replace Ocon before Spa & Ocon will replace Vandoorne at McLaren! I know contracts are like rubber bands which can be stretched enough to breaking point but it all depends who wants to stretch & at what cost.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am 

Here's the link backing up the rumours! As per La Derniere Heure, these are the changes happening before the Spa weekend:

Force India - Perez / Stroll
Williams - Sirotkin / Kubica
McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2258/stroll-to-spark-line-up-changes-in-belgium/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

yes, confirmed here:

Given the grief he gave Honda then for various reasons there's no way he would be putting his name forward, but given the choice would you want to drive a Red Bull or a McLaren?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm 

spacejock wrote:
pokerman wrote:
spacejock wrote:
I reckon Red Bull should put Hartley in the seat alongside Verstappen next year. He's older, wiser and more experienced than Max, and I doubt he'd rock the boat (unlike Sainz or Gasly, who are Max/Dan Baku incidents just waiting to happen.)

I don't think Hartley's had a fair chance this year, with a lot of issues that weren't of his own making. And if it doesn't work out, they can always switch him with one of the TR drivers next year.

It would be unusual to promote the slower driver, that's not how it normally works.

Yeah, I agree. It just depends if they want a Max in each RB car.

Well I don't believe that STR was set up as a vehicle to place their better drivers in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

yes, confirmed here:

No, but why let this come in the way of an opportunity to write something negative about Alonso?
;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

yes, confirmed here:

I think it's a dig at Honda TBH.

Oh I agree, if Red Bull did come calling though do you think Alonso would turn them down?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

We're all expecting some driver line up changes for 2019 but what are the chances of some drivers getting replaced in this summer break before Spa?

Am reading ridiculous rumours here & there. The most recent being Stroll will replace Ocon before Spa & Ocon will replace Vandoorne at McLaren! I know contracts are like rubber bands which can be stretched enough to breaking point but it all depends who wants to stretch & at what cost.

I just don't see how you can annul contracts like these without consent, Ocon is not an employee of Force India as such he drives for them because they have a paid up contract with Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Here's the link backing up the rumours! As per La Derniere Heure, these are the changes happening before the Spa weekend:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2258/stroll-to-spark-line-up-changes-in-belgium/

Well I will believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:04 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
yes, confirmed here:

No, but why let this come in the way of an opportunity to write something negative about Alonso?
;) :lol:

I think Horner started that ball rolling?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
yes, confirmed here:

Given the grief he gave Honda then for various reasons there's no way he would be putting his name forward, but given the choice would you want to drive a Red Bull or a McLaren?

The question changes when it's "would you want to drive a Red Bull-Honda or a McLaren-Renault" after having endured a 3-year nightmare with Honda

If it was any other engine I would fully expect him to have been on the phone and for Horner's comments to actually mean something

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

Before his home GP? Ouch

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

Me too. It makes more sense to me to swap Stroll and Ocon. Mercedes keep their man, and sets up the chance to develop the B Team relationship with Mercedes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

I just don't see how you can annul contracts like these without consent, Ocon is not an employee of Force India as such he drives for them because they have a paid up contract with Mercedes.

Any contract can be purchased if the incentive is high enough. Look at the Sainz move last year. He had a contract with Red Bull to drive for STR until Renault offered them something they'd prefer. Mercedes have already said they won't stand in Ocon's way so that's easily sorted and Williams would let Stroll go for a bit more cash I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

The question changes when it's "would you want to drive a Red Bull-Honda or a McLaren-Renault" after having endured a 3-year nightmare with Honda

If it was any other engine I would fully expect him to have been on the phone and for Horner's comments to actually mean something

It only changes because of what Alonso said about Honda so he's hardly going to have the temerity to ask to drive a Honda powered car.

However if Red Bull approached Alonso does he turn down a car that can get him some podiums and maybe the occasional win and stay in a car were he would be lucky to finish in the top 6, if it's the latter then what's Alonso staying in F1 for, just to collect a pay cheque?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Any contract can be purchased if the incentive is high enough. Look at the Sainz move last year. He had a contract with Red Bull to drive for STR until Renault offered them something they'd prefer. Mercedes have already said they won't stand in Ocon's way so that's easily sorted and Williams would let Stroll go for a bit more cash I'm sure.

Sainz was still under contract to Red Bull though plus Sainz wanted to go to Renault and possibly make a career there?

Will Ocon want to go to the struggling McLaren team mid season?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

This is one of the rare times we're in complete agreement. I'll be shocked if that's actually the lineups at Spa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

This is one of the rare times we're in complete agreement. I'll be shocked if that's actually the lineups at Spa.

I think these sillier silly rumours are flying in the air because no one still knows the immediate & long run targets of the consortium that bought FI. No doubt, this is the most exciting silly season wave we're riding on.

We're bound to see a new / changed driver lineup at:

Red Bull, Force India, Williams, Toro Rosso, Sauber & Haas. Ferrari could be in the mix but Raikkonen will probably stay put.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:10 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

I think these sillier silly rumours are flying in the air because no one still knows the immediate & long run targets of the consortium that bought FI. No doubt, this is the most exciting silly season wave we're riding on.

Red Bull, Force India, Williams, Toro Rosso, Sauber & Haas. Ferrari could be in the mix but Raikkonen will probably stay put.

Yeah, the part of the rumor I don't believe is the McLaren element. Ocon is a Mercedes driver; McLaren doesn't have Mercedes engines. Why should they give Vandoorne the boot at his home track to give a Mercedes driver a seat?

I can see it with Williams, since I doubt they're in any position to say 'no' if Merc asks. But I just don't see why Macca would do it. And beyond that, what driver would be crazy enough to want to get dumped mid-season into an underperforming car as Alonso's teammate? That's just asking to look terrible, something I doubt Ocon has any interest in doing.

Far more likely, Kubica once again doesn't get the call-up and Ocon and Stroll swap seats directly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 am 

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

Yeah, the part of the rumor I don't believe is the McLaren element. Ocon is a Mercedes driver; McLaren doesn't have Mercedes engines. Why should they give Vandoorne the boot at his home track to give a Mercedes driver a seat?

I can see it with Williams, since I doubt they're in any position to say 'no' if Merc asks. But I just don't see why Macca would do it. And beyond that, what driver would be crazy enough to want to get dumped mid-season into an underperforming car as Alonso's teammate? That's just asking to look terrible, something I doubt Ocon has any interest in doing.

Far more likely, Kubica once again doesn't get the call-up and Ocon and Stroll swap seats directly.

Going to McLaren & becoming Alonso's team-mate is like shooting Yourself in the foot twice!

In all these rumours, Ocon's name is appearing more because with Perez taking legal action to salvage the team, he indirectly could've recommitted to the team for 2019 & wouldn't change ship unless he gets a call from Haas or Sauber.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 am 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It only changes because of what Alonso said about Honda so he's hardly going to have the temerity to ask to drive a Honda powered car.

However if Red Bull approached Alonso does he turn down a car that can get him some podiums and maybe the occasional win and stay in a car were he would be lucky to finish in the top 6, if it's the latter then what's Alonso staying in F1 for, just to collect a pay cheque?

It would depend if they wanted him to give up driving for Toyota, if they did then no I don't think he'd be interested at all. Why swap a WEC title to fight Max for 5th place and hopefully some podiums or a win if Honda hit the ground running and the integration goes well?

If it was still RB-Renault with no engine switch then yeah he'd obviously be interested but he knows full well what both Honda and an engine switch can do when it goes wrong so on that alone he might not have any interest at all. Add in possibly giving up the WEC title and I think it's a pretty obvious no thank you.

Only Mercedes and Ferrari have any real shot of title competitiveness every year so he'd have been wanting one of them obviously. Ideally though you want McLaren to come good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

McLaren - Alonso / Ocon

Vandorne gets the boot!

Going to McLaren & becoming Alonso's team-mate is like shooting Yourself in the foot twice!

In all these rumours, Ocon's name is appearing more because with Perez taking legal action to salvage the team, he indirectly could've recommitted to the team for 2019 & wouldn't change ship unless he gets a call from Haas or Sauber.

Well, regarding Perez, I think that depends on whether he acted as an agent for the Stroll consortium or for one of the other biddding groups. In the latter case, I don't think he has a future with FI.

Regarding driver changes, if Ferrari keeps KR, then IMO it is far from certain that we will see changes at Haas and Sauber.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm 

Maybe Indycar have given a hint regarding Alonso?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Maybe Indycar have given a hint regarding Alonso?

I saw that, and was considering making a hype thread for it! :lol:

But we can discuss it here. I'm thinking that, improbably enough, this announcement is going to be real and Alonso is leaving F1. I know it sounds crazy, but I've had the feeling for most of this year that he's done. A full Indy season would be so exciting, and I'd love to see him rejuvenated and away from the shackles of his current situation in F1.

Also, it explains why McLaren is talking about how attractive Sainz is: they're not looking to replace Vandoorne, they know they have to replace Alonso.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It would depend if they wanted him to give up driving for Toyota, if they did then no I don't think he'd be interested at all. Why swap a WEC title to fight Max for 5th place and hopefully some podiums or a win if Honda hit the ground running and the integration goes well?

If it was still RB-Renault with no engine switch then yeah he'd obviously be interested but he knows full well what both Honda and an engine switch can do when it goes wrong so on that alone he might not have any interest at all. Add in possibly giving up the WEC title and I think it's a pretty obvious no thank you.

Only Mercedes and Ferrari have any real shot of title competitiveness every year so he'd have been wanting one of them obviously. Ideally though you want McLaren to come good.

I forgot all about the situation with Toyota, that being the case that the WEC title is so important to him, more important then a drive much further up the F1 grid then why stick around in the F1 midfield anyway unless it's just for the pay cheque?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I forgot all about the situation with Toyota, that being the case that the WEC title is so important to him, more important then a drive much further up the F1 grid then why stick around in the F1 midfield anyway unless it's just for the pay cheque?

What if the reason he thought it was so funny is that he's already decided to retire from F1?

Before now he had a reason to stay in the midfield at McLaren: the hope/belief that they would no longer be midfield once they got rid of the Honda engine. That didn't happen, so now he truly has no reason to stick around where he is.