planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Don't trust Spanish news, especially Marca.

It's highly unlikely Verstappen has a veto or something like that. If Sainz doesn't get chosen, it's because Red Bull thinks he isn't good enough. Renault apparently wasn't that impressed either. Sainz will be lucky to get a seat anywhere.

Don't think anywhere has suggested a veto, but that he doesn't want him there. Pretty sure no team really wants fireworks between their drivers, I remember seeing some suggesting Max's promotion was partially due to the issues between drivers at Toro Rosso as well as his skills and Kyvats issues - if this was true then (if), would Red Bull really want to pair them now?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:18 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

It's highly unlikely Verstappen has a veto or something like that. If Sainz doesn't get chosen, it's because Red Bull thinks he isn't good enough. Renault apparently wasn't that impressed either. Sainz will be lucky to get a seat anywhere.

Don't think anywhere has suggested a veto, but that he doesn't want him there. Pretty sure no team really wants fireworks between their drivers, I remember seeing some suggesting Max's promotion was partially due to the issues between drivers at Toro Rosso as well as his skills and Kyvats issues - if this was true then (if), would Red Bull really want to pair them now?

Generally speaking it just shows that you can't afford to be a prickly character or make enemies, somewhere down the line it might narrow your options.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

"Red Bull have the Spaniard under contract until September 30 and yet won't take up the option to sign him, due to Max Verstappen's veto on a driver who the Dutchman considers to be a threat to his status in the team."

From the source article: http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/201 ... b4634.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:48 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

"Red Bull have the Spaniard under contract until September 30 and yet won't take up the option to sign him, due to Max Verstappen's veto on a driver who the Dutchman considers to be a threat to his status in the team."

From the source article: http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/201 ... b4634.html

I can understand the problem with them not getting on with one another but I'm puzzled how that would change Verstappen's status in the team especially from a driver who most expect to be slower? :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:03 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

I expect he's at least as good as Gasly and probably better but he made a real effort to go to Renault, he wanted out of Red Bull and I think that probably left a sour taste.

I feel sorry for him tbh, manages to get out only to have the drive he wanted taken a year later and the drive that probably would have been his if he had stayed at Toro Rosso this season is reportedly off the table now. I hope he can find a seat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:42 pm 

Personally I don't see Max getting along with anyone who challenges him at any time at all. Daniel is one of the most easy going drivers out there and he got tired of Max's antics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
Personally I don't see Max getting along with anyone who challenges him at any time at all. Daniel is one of the most easy going drivers out there and he got tired of Max's antics.

I think probably more tired of Helmet’s antics.
The whole ‘we will build the team around Max’ comment hit a bit too close to home for us Aussie’s that remember the Webber/Vettel years all too well.

Dan wanted a fresh start and he is now getting paid a fortune. Probably number 1 status too.
He was only on about 1 million for his first year at Red Bull in 2014, so now is time to set himself up for life!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am 

He took matters in own hand. Yes it's a gamble but a good gamble at that. Renault improves and it really looks like it's a fresh team fun to race for. With Hulk he get's a nice guy as a team mate. A strong one too and not a guy who play's tricks or mind games.

Better to go to Renault in this stage then to switch teams when it might be a little too late.

Helmut is crazy about Max, Dieter is crazy about Max. They don't pretend they are not at speak about winning with him judt like they did with Vettel. It would be weird for Ricciardo to keep driving thete knowing they are so in favour of Max. They support Ricciardo of course and really are fond of him but it's clear they see a future with Max more than with Ricciardo.

A good move for him and a fun new chapter begins in his F1 career :)
Renault got more interesting now with these two in a team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 pm 

I think they only way to get 2 drivers in a team who would be more amiable towards one another than Ricciardo and Hulk you'd have to find another Canadian to partner Stroll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:50 pm 

Anyone heard about this?

https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/06/f1- ... gradation/

If it is true, then that's b*llcr*p.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:10 pm 

The last line of the article "The FIA has also told tyre suppliers they can suggest changes to the proposed targets for tyre performance."

After all of the flak that Pirelli got for making the tires they were asked to make I'd have to say the any manufacturer the tenders a bid will want to change those parameters, a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Oh dear... What on earth is happening to my No. 1 sport...

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Until everyone starts complaining again and they go back to durable tyres, rinse, repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

oh ffs x(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Generally speaking it just shows that you can't afford to be a prickly character or make enemies, somewhere down the line it might narrow your options.

So, I guess Verstappen would be without a drive...

Sainz seems the stable, reasonable good guy of the two, and not a huge deal slower. It just shows that if you are the sport's blond new poster boy it doesn't really matter how many times you crash into your teammate (or others if your teammate is not close by...)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Sainz seems the stable, reasonable good guy of the two, and not a huge deal slower. It just shows that if you are the sport's blond new poster boy it doesn't really matter how many times you crash into your teammate (or others if your teammate is not close by...)

And how do you get to be the sports poster boy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Until everyone starts complaining again and they go back to durable tyres, rinse, repeat.

Yes... pretty much sums up the personality problem of the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:15 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

They want multiple winners, this and SC lotteries will help to do that, fans of the WWE will appreciate the spectacle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Oh dear... What on earth is happening to my No. 1 sport...

They are looking to increase the audience whilst they think the resident fans will always stick around.

This is actually starting to happen in MotoGP, the last race they were just cruising around because they knew the tyres wouldn't last at full racing pace, so the first half of the race we didn't really have a race, sometimes the bikes near the back were setting fastest laps. Then with about half of the race left to go the riders decided we can go for it now and we finally had a race.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

We actually have a few people that work in the industry that want 2/3 stop races, people like Paul di Resta.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Return of the WTNC (World Tire Nursing Championship)! They don't need this at all. When will they learn FFS!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 pm 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

No, one driver may be the fastest driver in F1 while the other is getting beat by the Hulk, so who do you keep happy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Return of the WTNC (World Tire Nursing Championship)! They don't need this at all. When will they learn FFS!!!!

Suddenly Jenson Button is in great demand again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 am 

I think Alonso will stay with McLaren but spread over F1 and Indy. McLaren just may be the right company fit for Alonso now if they diversify as expected into Indy. The WEC adventure this year and Indy 500 last year while still driving in F1 maybe a taste of Alonso's future and no other F1 team would put up with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 am 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

They want multiple winners, this and SC lotteries will help to do that, fans of the WWE will appreciate the spectacle.

Haha, yeah, Mr McMahon would be proud...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:29 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

They won't it seems. What is the point of making the wings simpler so that it is easier to follow another car without destroying the tires, when they makes the tyres degrade themselves?

FFS indeed. I wish the calendar showed 2nd of April today...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

They won't it seems. What is the point of making the wings simpler so that it is easier to follow another car without destroying the tires, when they makes the tyres degrade themselves?

I guess they feel that they still need to do it to try and offset car performance, give the cars tyres that nobody can drive to the maximum on, you use the extra performance of your car to the detriment of the tyres, being able to closely follow another car and overtake only works if you can keep up with that car in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

I guess they feel that they still need to do it to try and offset car performance, give the cars tyres that nobody can drive to the maximum on, you use the extra performance of your car to the detriment of the tyres, being able to closely follow another car and overtake only works if you can keep up with that car in the first place.

Yeah, sounds like it. So why make any changes anyway then? Just for the sake of people to see something changing? It will be such a shame if they revert to cheese tyres again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

Yeah, sounds like it. So why make any changes anyway then? Just for the sake of people to see something changing? It will be such a shame if they revert to cheese tyres again

Well they want the races to be unpredictable and farcical because they believe that offers great entertainment, even on here how many people complain of races being boring and then when we have a late SC that creates pandemonium, the long time leader doesn't win, the guy running in 5th for most of the race wins the race, people rave about how good the race was.

I mean how many people complain about the fastest car/driver winning the race, in most sports if you're the best you win, in F1 it's not desirable so we will push through whatever rules we can to stop this happening, all sorts of things have been proposed and pushed back like reverse grids which would have ended the time honored qualifying system that is an integral part of the sport, basically a system will be found that makes the races a lottery in the belief that it's great entertainment that people want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 am 

The return to flaky rubber would be an awful backwards step. F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport, but drivers tiptoeing around 8 seconds off of qualifying pace is the exact opposite of that.

I know tyre management is a skill in itself, but it isn't what the best drivers in the world should have to make their number 1 priority.

All they need to do is fix the aero to allow cars to follow each other more closely. Not silly mario kart gimmicks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 am 

Wit Force India being salvaged by Stroll Sr., it's quite obviouss to assume Lance will be in 1 of the seats here. Checo has said he's lucky to have a few options for 2019.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/902967/1/perez-has-couple-options-f1-2019

I too see Checo leaving Force India (for Haas) as Ocon & Stroll get along quite well & keeping Ocon in the 2nd seat will keep the engine suppliers happy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:30 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
The return to flaky rubber would be an awful backwards step. F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport, but drivers tiptoeing around 8 seconds off of qualifying pace is the exact opposite of that.

I know tyre management is a skill in itself, but it isn't what the best drivers in the world should have to make their number 1 priority.

All they need to do is fix the aero to allow cars to follow each other more closely. Not silly mario kart gimmicks.

Fully agree, but unfortunately those in power seem to think that F1 should be part circus, part environmentally-friendly showcase. They appear to have largely forgotten what made it popular in the first place

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

I agree!....

Think it's wrong that F1 is dictated by tyre management and not racing. So many drivers have complained about this. Also I wish we brought back re-fueling into F1 again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Wit Force India being salvaged by Stroll Sr., it's quite obviouss to assume Lance will be in 1 of the seats here. Checo has said he's lucky to have a few options for 2019.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/902967/1/perez-has-couple-options-f1-2019

I too see Checo leaving Force India (for Haas) as Ocon & Stroll get along quite well & keeping Ocon in the 2nd seat will keep the engine suppliers happy.

I wonder how will this be handled by Williams, having Stroll financing a rival team, at least until the season ends. If Lance moves to FI in any of the coming races, which I doubt, will RK get a chance? There seems to be a conflict of interest now.

Reading Brown's article this morning where he speaks about Alonso and how much he liked Indy and USA, and also Andretti saying they need for Alonso to decide as they need to start setting up, I would expect an announcement soon that Alonso is leaving F1.

This Silly Season, aside from Lance and KMag, is far from defined and very difficult to read. Maybe SV/CS at McL, Perez/KMag at Haas, LS/SO at FI with MV/Gasly at RedBull and Toro Rosso being a guess as they have options, will love to see Robert given a chance at Williams.

This summer break is far from a break for some. I think this will sort out soon, once one goes all will fall into place, do not think it will drag much longer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Well they want the races to be unpredictable and farcical because they believe that offers great entertainment, even on here how many people complain of races being boring and then when we have a late SC that creates pandemonium, the long time leader doesn't win, the guy running in 5th for most of the race wins the race, people rave about how good the race was.

I mean how many people complain about the fastest car/driver winning the race, in most sports if you're the best you win, in F1 it's not desirable so we will push through whatever rules we can to stop this happening, all sorts of things have been proposed and pushed back like reverse grids which would have ended the time honored qualifying system that is an integral part of the sport, basically a system will be found that makes the races a lottery in the belief that it's great entertainment that people want.

Bib: However, if this is all, then why not stopping after qualifying? Or turn qualifying into the race. Goal achieved.

In former times, the answer was about reliability, i.e. who is fastest over a longer distance ("Grand Prix"). In times of near perfect reliability, this answer may be somewhat outdated.

In truth, very few people will enjoy watching a caravan of cars circling for one-and-half hours with ever growing gaps between them every second weekend. My guess is that it will be so few that television/media money will drop to zero and manufacturers will not be interested to invest at all.

So, in reality, it will always be an act of balancing "pure racing" and "entertaining race action". And some ideas will push it more to the first, others more to the latter; not an easy task at all since both extremes are likely to be detrimental to earning money (which is necessary for this sport to survive).

That said, and notwithstanding, I would also prefer to tackle more the dirty air issue and be it with some standardized aerodynamic parts. The reason is that I prefer on-track action (infight and overtaking) over pitstop-strategy-action. But if one prefers the latter (which is fine), then the current tyre regime is completely unsuitable. Every race is a one-stopper nowadays - only changed by SCs or weather ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:27 am 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

We actually have a few people that work in the industry that want 2/3 stop races, people like Paul di Resta.

I wouldn't mind 2/3 stop races either but I don't understand why we need to go down the degrading tyre route. Why can't they just do compulsory stops?

What's the downside I'm missing if they just say here's 3 compounds, you have to use them all in the race with at least 5 laps on each compound. Qualify on one and make two stops. If it rains then no compulsory tyres obviously.

What's the big pitfalls I'm missing, there's bound to be some so I'm genuinely asking as I'd rather have that than degrading tyres they just all nurse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:11 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

I wouldn't mind 2/3 stop races either but I don't understand why we need to go down the degrading tyre route. Why can't they just do compulsory stops?

What's the downside I'm missing if they just say here's 3 compounds, you have to use them all in the race with at least 5 laps on each compound. Qualify on one and make two stops. If it rains then no compulsory tyres obviously.

What's the big pitfalls I'm missing, there's bound to be some so I'm genuinely asking as I'd rather have that than degrading tyres they just all nurse.

That would be great. That thought crossed my mind as well, minus the 5 laps on each compound. But that would be a good rule.

But please, no more show business tires. WTH is wrong with these people?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 am 

kleefton wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Anyone heard about this?

That would be great. That thought crossed my mind as well, minus the 5 laps on each compound. But that would be a good rule.

But please, no more show business tires. WTH is wrong with these people?

Cheers, I'm unsure how many compulsory laps on a compound would be best tbh. One would just be a waste of time and the teams would mess about but any more than 5 and I'm thinking on some tracks it might be too many to do three separate stints. Spa having the 15 laps plus the in and out laps doesn't leave a lot left for anyone to get a rhythm up or chase someone down or just some action in general. Just feels a bit disruptive maybe.

I wish I knew what was wrong with those guys but I think they're just far too reactionary and if they get a random race that fans love they sit there thinking about how they can recreate it in the rules.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:09 am 

In case anyone was still thinking about it, Horner has ruled out Alonso for Red Bull in the podcast. He said something like respecting Alonso's achievements but not at all being charmed with the chaos he leaves behind in each team he drives for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 am 

Llotyhy wrote:
In case anyone was still thinking about it, Horner has ruled out Alonso for Red Bull in the podcast. He said something like respecting Alonso's achievements but not at all being charmed with the chaos he leaves behind in each team he drives for.

yes, confirmed here:

“I have got huge respect for Fernando. He’s a great driver, a fantastic driver," Horner said.

“But I think it’s very difficult to see… he tends to cause a bit of chaos wherever he’s gone. I’m not sure it would be the healthiest thing for the team for Fernando to join the team.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/902973/1/red-bull-unlikely-sign-chaotic-alonso-2019-horner