planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:48 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
God, I wish Merc would just say chocolate fudge cake it and sign Alonso alongside Hamilton. Surely worth it for the exposure.

They won't even with Dan so no chance with Alonso I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 pm 

What to make of this?
https://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo ... -red-bull/

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

It's starting to become quite a strange situation. No one in either Mercedes or Ferrari appears to be even remotely interested in signing Ricciardo and he (and/or the media) keeps on insisting he somehow has a shot in landing a seat there. He needs to sign at Red Bull and he can't even ask for the big money. He has nowhere else to go...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:44 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
It's starting to become quite a strange situation. No one in either Mercedes or Ferrari appears to be even remotely interested in signing Ricciardo and he (and/or the media) keeps on insisting he somehow has a shot in landing a seat there. He needs to sign at Red Bull and he can't even ask for the big money. He has nowhere else to go...

It's a really odd situation. All F1 teams are being so cautious about driver choices. They so rarely change drivers now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:59 pm 

iano wrote:
Perhaps a complication for Hamilton and Mercedes is.... how long does Hamilton want to stay in F1? How long does he commit for, and if it is not for that long do Mercedes need to start looking for their next hero?

I always thought that Hamilton would sign for 2 years which takes him to the big rule change, he then can see what it's all about and if he wants to be any part of it, this also coincides when Vettel's contract runs out at Ferrari so he would have that option as well.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
God, I wish Merc would just say chocolate fudge cake it and sign Alonso alongside Hamilton. Surely worth it for the exposure.

None of the top 3 teams are interested in Alonso with talk of past histories with 2 of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

It's a really odd situation. All F1 teams are being so cautious about driver choices. They so rarely change drivers now

It's not odd as neither Hamilton nor Vettel are leaving their respective teams. Both of them are well settled with their no. 2 team mates. Ricciardo would want equal status & would only fight for wins!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

:thumbup:

I haven't seen any reports whatsoever that indicate either of the top 2 teams being interested in Ricciardo (except for that late "of course he's an option" comment from Wolff) - the only way this will happen (IMO) is if Raikkonen is dropped and Ferrari signs him. Looks increasingly to me that Hamilton doesn't want him as a team-mate, and that Merc will either retain Bottas or promote Ocon instead of signing Danny Ric.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if at the end of the musical chairs they all remained exactly where they are right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

None of the top 3 teams are interested in Alonso with talk of past histories with 2 of them.

You honestly still think that's the reason? What about Dan? Does he have some history we're not aware of because his phone ain't ringing either.

It's actually really weak to hide behind a 10yr old story because you don't want to put two top guys together, just come out and say it already instead of pretending your interested in signing the best available. (Them not you)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm 

Lance Stroll has impressed Claire enough to say he has lived up to expectations! He'll probably continue to spearhead Williams into 2019:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/stroll-set-to-stay-at-williams-for-2019/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

Well Red Bull at least are and he was getting more of a mention than Alonso.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:54 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Lance Stroll has impressed Claire enough to say he has lived up to expectations! He'll probably continue to spearhead Williams into 2019:

Still wanting the dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

Very impressive driver - I mean look at his qualifying results vs Massa in 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

They expected a bucketload of cash from his dad. They got it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

A.J. wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

:thumbup:

I haven't seen any reports whatsoever that indicate either of the top 2 teams being interested in Ricciardo (except for that late "of course he's an option" comment from Wolff) - the only way this will happen (IMO) is if Raikkonen is dropped and Ferrari signs him. Looks increasingly to me that Hamilton doesn't want him as a team-mate, and that Merc will either retain Bottas or promote Ocon instead of signing Danny Ric.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if at the end of the musical chairs they all remained exactly where they are right now.

Yes it sounded like it might be Hamilton who doesn't want Ricciardo there.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

And was Vettel pursued by Merc last year and is Hamilton being pursued by Ferrari and Red Bull this year?

If not, along with the fact that both Merc and Ferrari have had numerous opportunities to upgrade drivers, you have to wonder of the reason Alonso not getting hired by them is because of a decade old feud or because both Vettel and Hamilton refuse to have another cock in the hen house.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

I like Lewis but it's clear he didn't want Dan and if he's giving it the big one about vetoes to Seb in public while trying to block drivers himself in private then he should be getting pulled up on it to be fair.

Marko's comments aren't confirmation of course but he's been weird when asked about Dan and I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like from those random answers that he didn't want him there and if that's Marko's go to glib response then I think it's likely been referenced to Marko before that Lewis didn't want him there.

Which if true is disappointing because of all the top guys Dan is the easiest to be put next to, he's done it twice before without much if any drama so it would be purely a block because of performance and Lewis has made such a big deal of other drivers doing it that it would stink a bit but these are competitive guys and they want to win and taking the easiest path is hard to resist when available, I don't know if anyone would welcome that challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
I like Lewis but it's clear he didn't want Dan and if he's giving it the big one about vetoes to Seb in public while trying to block drivers himself in private then he should be getting pulled up on it to be fair.

Marko's comments aren't confirmation of course but he's been weird when asked about Dan and I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like from those random answers that he didn't want him there and if that's Marko's go to glib response then I think it's likely been referenced to Marko before that Lewis didn't want him there.

Which if true is disappointing because of all the top guys Dan is the easiest to be put next to, he's done it twice before without much if any drama so it would be purely a block because of performance and Lewis has made such a big deal of other drivers doing it that it would stink a bit but these are competitive guys and they want to win and taking the easiest path is hard to resist when available, I don't know if anyone would welcome that challenge.

What makes that clear exactly?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Just the recent responses to questions about Dan, just came across as a bit evasive, talking about what Dan needs to do with his team mate, his own team etc.

Clear's maybe the wrong word based on those and a glib comment from Marko but it's what I thought at the time and this just reinforced that initial feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:35 pm 

Things have changed. It used to be commonplace for the top teams to get the top available drivers which meant drivers would switch between teams quite often. Then Red Bull came with their academy and that has made a huge impact on the landscape. In the following years the other major teams have started to create academies of their own, which doesn't mean nothing. It means they are investing big money into the career of young drivers. They need to protect that investment or the whole point of the investment is mute.

Which means that for example Mercedes has Hamilton and Bottas as drivers. I'm sure they'll try to resign them both since Hamilton is one of the goats and Bottas is having a very good season so far. If one of them decides to leave or quit or they can't reach an agreement for whatever reason, Mercedes will put Ocon in that seat. If even he is somehow unavailable or they need another driver they would perhaps even prefer putting Russell in before talking to Ricciardo... and it makes sense. They've been paying these drivers for years and making sure they get prepared for F1 in the best possible way.

Ferrari is clear as well. Vettel is undisputed and has a contract. Raikkonen is okay, but not what he used to be. So they would probably want someone in that second seat. Their lead academy driver is Leclerc, but they might feel he needs another year at Sauber or maybe Haas or whatever. Problem? No, just resign Kimi for another year... and it makes sense. If they wouldn't do that and sign Ricciardo they would have Vettel and Ricciardo for 2-3 seasons more and thereby simply cutting off Leclerc, who happens to be one of the most exciting talents in history (I mean, look at F2 Baku last year and remember that he lost his father a few days earlier, if you're still not convinced I don't get you). So they won't... I doubt they'll even want Ricciardo for a penny. They need to protect their investment.

Red Bull has Verstappen, Ricciardo, Sainz, Gasly, in that order, for the Red Bull team. Would they consider hiring Alonso? No, of course not.

McLaren has Alonso (for now), Vandoorne and Norris who they'll protect. Toro Rosso wanted to snatch Norris and put him in Hartley's seat from Austria and put him in the Red Bull program, but McLaren refused, so he'll be in the seat next season or they can't keep him. (EDIT: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13656 ... istract-me)

Renault has Hulk, Sainz, and if he leaves for Red Bull? Aitken. Or they'll sign Perez.

Moving from one top seat to another will become increasingly rare. It used to happen a few times every season, but it will be very very rare from now on.

... the media just doesn't seem to understand this yet. :)

EDIT 2: Oh, and another thing... all that talk about teams not wanting two top drivers in the same team? All bullshit I think. That's not the reason, the above thing is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Just the recent responses to questions about Dan, just came across as a bit evasive, talking about what Dan needs to do with his team mate, his own team etc.

Clear's maybe the wrong word based on those and a glib comment from Marko but it's what I thought at the time and this just reinforced that initial feeling.

To say that it's clear that Hamilton is against Daniel joining the team is just not true. There is nothing clear about that at all. He's never said that and you are basically putting words in his mouth with your interpretation just so you can offer this baseless criticism.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

To say that it's clear that Hamilton is against Daniel joining the team is just not true. There is nothing clear about that at all. He's never said that and you are basically putting words in his mouth with your interpretation just so you can offer this baseless criticism.

Like I said clear is maybe the wrong word or I should've put a "to me", or appears instead of clear or such like but it wasn't baseless, Marko's comments inferred it and the answers to the Dan questions from Lewis that left that same impression on me sprung to mind is all.

I wasn't the only one that got that impression, read above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:18 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

He's already at Red Bull. Somewhat different scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Like I said clear is maybe the wrong word or I should've put a "to me", or appears instead of clear or such like but it wasn't baseless, Marko's comments inferred it and the answers to the Dan questions from Lewis that left that same impression on me sprung to mind is all.

It doesn't matter if someone else made the same thing up, it's still made up. And to use it to make chastising remarks about hypocrisy is just ridiculous. You don't even have a stitch of evidence that Hamilton has any desire to prevent Ricciardo from joining the team and you want to push some kind of hypocrisy narrative?

What's most likely is that Mercedes are simply not looking to replace Bottas and, assuming Hamilton re-sign's with them, they won't have any need for Ricciardo. The seat isn't available to him and it's not because Lewis has made some kind of secret request. It's because the team don't need him. As I've said before, Ricciardo would be less than ideal as a replacement for Bottas. He's good enough to take significant points off of Lewis and that would only hurt the team in the championships. Now if Lewis were leaving the team, Ricciardo would make an excellent replacement for him but Dan's no #2 driver. Bottas is arguably the premiere #2 driver in F1 today and I think the team are quite satisfied with him.

For Daniel, I think there are worse things than renewing with Red Bull. Sure, they are 3rd best and he'll have to deal with Max but Dan clearly has had the upper-hand in that matchup overall so far and Red Bull are certainly capable of challenging for titles in the near future. I have to imagine that the engine gap will close somewhat over the next 2 years and the possibility of another works deal with Honda makes the future look bright. I think the ideal for Daniel would have been joining either Ferrari or Mercedes but that door doesn't appear to be open. Perhaps in 2 years the seats will be available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:41 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

It doesn't matter if someone else made the same thing up, it's still made up. And to use it to make chastising remarks about hypocrisy is just ridiculous. You don't even have a stitch of evidence that Hamilton has any desire to prevent Ricciardo from joining the team and you want to push some kind of hypocrisy narrative?

What's most likely is that Mercedes are simply not looking to replace Bottas and, assuming Hamilton re-sign's with them, they won't have any need for Ricciardo. The seat isn't available to him and it's not because Lewis has made some kind of secret request. It's because the team don't need him. As I've said before, Ricciardo would be less than ideal as a replacement for Bottas. He's good enough to take significant points off of Lewis and that would only hurt the team in the championships. Now if Lewis were leaving the team, Ricciardo would make an excellent replacement for him but Dan's no #2 driver. Bottas is arguably the premiere #2 driver in F1 today and I think the team are quite satisfied with him.

For Daniel, I think there are worse things than renewing with Red Bull. Sure, they are 3rd best and he'll have to deal with Max but Dan clearly has had the upper-hand in that matchup overall so far and Red Bull are certainly capable of challenging for titles in the near future. I have to imagine that the engine gap will close somewhat over the next 2 years and the possibility of another works deal with Honda makes the future look bright. I think the ideal for Daniel would have been joining either Ferrari or Mercedes but that door doesn't appear to be open. Perhaps in 2 years the seats will be available.

You did notice the "Marko's comments are hardly confirmation" and the "if true", right? I already said I should've used a different word than clear in the opening sentence as well.

What most likely is you have as much idea of what went on as I do. Having Ricciardo only hurts the WDC if the Mercedes is the second best car, it makes little difference if they have the outright best and it obviously helps the WCC whether they have the best or second best.

It may well be Mercedes (And Ferrari) rather than Lewis (And Seb) who doesn't want two roosters in the hen house but it could equally be all 4 are on the same page for lots of reasons, team dynamics, valuing the WDC higher or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 pm 

Invade wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

Very impressive driver - I mean look at his qualifying results vs Massa in 2017.

Lost me. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:02 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

And was Vettel pursued by Merc last year and is Hamilton being pursued by Ferrari and Red Bull this year?

If not, along with the fact that both Merc and Ferrari have had numerous opportunities to upgrade drivers, you have to wonder of the reason Alonso not getting hired by them is because of a decade old feud or because both Vettel and Hamilton refuse to have another cock in the hen house.

Vettel and Wolff were in contact with one another before the 2017 season, confirmed by Hamilton.

In respect to Hamilton he doesn't want Alonso at Mercedes but would clearly love to go up against Vettel, in respect to Ricciardo he's aware of Vettel's situation at Ferrari with respect to Kimi so having what many believe to be a stronger driver than Bottas weakens Hamilton in respect to beating Vettel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:05 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Well you are quoting Hamilton before the start of this season when it was clear to most that Verstappen was quicker than Ricciardo last season, so the context was that if you are slower than Verstappen then how do you expect to beat me?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Well you are quoting Hamilton before the start of this season when it was clear to most that Verstappen was quicker than Ricciardo last season, so the context was that if you are slower than Verstappen then how do you expect to beat me?

There's been a few different responses to the possibility of Dan joining. All long winded and all focused on Dan staying exactly where he is.

Those alone obviously didn't illicit a post from me about not wanting to face Dan but that was the impression it left, I'd be lying if I said otherwise. This Marko comment along with it and Lauda saying they've made no contact with Dan was what done it but it's obviously just my opinion on some pretty random comments to be fair so I should've worded it better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And Ricciardo....

He's already at Red Bull. Somewhat different scenario.

Well the reply wasn't specific, could Alonso actually co-exist against Verstappen or any other tier 1 driver without fireworks, journalists saw Ricciardo as a possibility for both Ferrari and Mercedes whilst they saw Alonso as being dead in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:20 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

There's been a few different responses to the possibility of Dan joining. All long winded and all focused on Dan staying exactly where he is.

Those alone obviously didn't illicit a post from me about not wanting to face Dan but that was the impression it left, I'd be lying if I said otherwise. This Marko comment along with it and Lauda saying they've made no contact with Dan was what done it but it's obviously just my opinion on some pretty random comments to be fair so I should've worded it better.

Well like I've already posted Hamilton doesn't fear not being able to beat Ricciardo but the cosy situation Vettel has at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Well like I've already posted Hamilton doesn't fear not being able to beat Ricciardo but the cosy situation Vettel has at Ferrari.

Could well be, your entitled to your opinion of course but the specifics of why he'd want to block, if that was the case, wasn't really the point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:33 pm 

[quote="pokerman"]

But what journalists think is irrelevant. The point is no top drivers have got offered the 2nd Merc or Ferrari drives in years. Saying Alonso is not being offered them because of previous grudges is clearly false. They have no interest in putting a tier 1 driver against Hamilton or Vettel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:57 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lost me. :?

/s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:05 pm 

The landscape of F1 right now just leads to the conclusion that the best chance (or the safest chance) Mercedes and Ferrari have of winning Championships is to keep a pseudo 1-2 dynamic. Mercedes are probably more keen to not have it be that way, but with Ferrari and Vettel strong they feel as though they must fight that fire with indentical fire.

The more I think about it the more sure I am that Ricciardo will virtually HAVE to stay at Red Bull.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Could well be, your entitled to your opinion of course but the specifics of why he'd want to block, if that was the case, wasn't really the point.

Still it's supposition, has Bottas really driven that badly to be dropped, he's certainly out performing Kimi, maybe that's what Hamilton thinks as well although the question he is asked is specifically about Ricciardo and he gives what appears to be a honest answer that then allows people to jump to certain conclusions because he doesn't seem to be welcoming Ricciardo with open arms.

Whereas when Vettel is asked about Ricciardo he says he wouldn't mind him as a teammate whilst we hear stories that in the background he is campaigning yet again for Kimi to be retained so the overview is that it's Ferrari that doesn't want Ricciardo whilst at Mercedes it's Hamilton that doesn't want him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:37 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

But what journalists think is irrelevant. The point is no top drivers have got offered the 2nd Merc or Ferrari drives in years. Saying Alonso is not being offered them because of previous grudges is clearly false. They have no interest in putting a tier 1 driver against Hamilton or Vettel.

Well I can only go by what I read, I'm sure that you are aware that Marchionne was best not pleased with Vettel after the Baku incident last year, he's been quoted as threatening Vettel with signing Ricciardo if he didn't calm down and lead the team as expected of him, no threat of signing Alonso.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

Invade wrote:
The landscape of F1 right now just leads to the conclusion that the best chance (or the safest chance) Mercedes and Ferrari have of winning Championships is to keep a pseudo 1-2 dynamic. Mercedes are probably more keen to not have it be that way, but with Ferrari and Vettel strong they feel as though they must fight that fire with indentical fire.

The more I think about it the more sure I am that Ricciardo will virtually HAVE to stay at Red Bull.

Yes that would be my take on it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Still it's supposition, has Bottas really driven that badly to be dropped, he's certainly out performing Kimi, maybe that's what Hamilton thinks as well although the question he is asked is specifically about Ricciardo and he gives what appears to be a honest answer that then allows people to jump to certain conclusions because he doesn't seem to be welcoming Ricciardo with open arms.

Whereas when Vettel is asked about Ricciardo he says he wouldn't mind him as a teammate whilst we hear stories that in the background he is campaigning yet again for Kimi to be retained so the overview is that it's Ferrari that doesn't want Ricciardo whilst at Mercedes it's Hamilton that doesn't want him.

No my overview would be the same on that front, everyone at both Mercedes and Ferrari want the status quo. And I can see the sense in why too of course.