planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm 

Image indycar.com

Sometimes, strategies could backfire when yellows are in the way. But this weekend, there was no stopping Alexander Rossi by going to 2 pit stops and overwhelming the field to a 2nd win of the season from pole at the Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Race Course at Lexington dominating Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens by 12 seconds. This is also a 1-2 finish for 2 former Marussia drivers. Will Power would take the last podium spot.

It all began right before the green when Rossi brake-checked the field causing a small jam. That is where Rossi would hammer down. Officials were reviewing the start if Rossi was impeding the start. but no action was taken. After a great qualifying for Max Chilton, his race went south when he spun Takuma Sato in lap 2 thus he had to serve a penalty for avoidable contact. With all the drivers opting for 3 stops, Rossi was in a class of his own and surviving back markers along the way by only taking 2 stops without looking back.

Josef Newgarden and Scott Dixon finished in the top 5. They were followed by Sebastian Bourdais who came from the back to finish 6th, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Simon Pagenaud, Graham Rahal, and Zach Veach completed the top 10.

With the win, Rossi trimmed 1/3rd of Dixon's points lead from 69 to 46 (494-448), Newgarden is in a distant 3rd followed by Power and Hunter-Reay in the top 5.

The series will have a long summer break before heading to Long Pond, Pa for the ultimate tricky Pocono triangle.

Report:
https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/07/07 ... ecap-final

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... FICIAL.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 pm 

Dominant performance by Rossi, certainly tossing his hat quite strongly into the ring of championship contenders. Driver of the race for me would have to be Bourdais, though - brutal overtakes and pace! :thumbup:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 am 

Bourdais around the outside passes should be played over and over on here as a reminder on how big balls and skill can overcome tough to pass track. Very good race with lots of excellent overtakes which shows that with the right rules overtakes can happen. Take note F1.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:53 pm 

F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!

Indy cars have been doing it all year, both on road courses and ovals. It has been fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 pm 

Blake wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

Indy cars have been doing it all year, both on road courses and ovals. It has been fun to watch.

I think IndyCar has got it about right with this year's aero kit. There was certainly racing for position, but it wasn't like you could just drive past without having to work for it; Will Power spent some time holding up faster cars, and he was far from the only one. Really only Newgarden and Bourdais seemed able to consistently make moves on cars with similar tyres, and it came down to skill and bravery when they did so.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

I think IndyCar has got it about right with this year's aero kit. There was certainly racing for position, but it wasn't like you could just drive past without having to work for it; Will Power spent some time holding up faster cars, and he was far from the only one. Really only Newgarden and Bourdais seemed able to consistently make moves on cars with similar tyres, and it came down to skill and bravery when they did so.

Totally agree. I still like F1 to be sure, but find the Indy racing better than F1 this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 pm 

.[/quote]
Totally agree. I still like F1 to be sure, but find the Indy racing better than F1 this year.[/quote]

That was some of the best racing i've seen all year, at the moment F1 is not even close.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

As an American, I don't compare Indycar to F1. Indycar is spec racing... everyone uses the same chassis and aero package... might as well have all teams racing the same Porsche 911 derivative (read: Boring) So the racing is logically closer, depending only on which driver is having a good day. Alonso will fit into Indycar quite well.

F1 has some elements of spec racing to it. Regrettably, he regs are (now) so tight that design is channeled into standardization, so innovation is discouraged (no 6-wheelers on the horizon, for example, no longer a variety of engine configs.) But at least the teams design and build their cars from the ground up (less consumables like tires, brakes). Fans who appreciate this technical pursuit accept the seeming processional nature of the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:59 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
As an American, I don't compare Indycar to F1. Indycar is spec racing... everyone uses the same chassis and aero package... might as well have all teams racing the same Porsche 911 derivative (read: Boring) So the racing is logically closer, depending only on which driver is having a good day. Alonso will fit into Indycar quite well.

F1 has some elements of spec racing to it. Regrettably, he regs are (now) so tight that design is channeled into standardization, so innovation is discouraged (no 6-wheelers on the horizon, for example, no longer a variety of engine configs.) But at least the teams design and build their cars from the ground up (less consumables like tires, brakes). Fans who appreciate this technical pursuit accept the seeming processional nature of the sport.

good post. i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic

i don't think hardcore f1 fans would be happy with a totally spec series, and i don't think hardcore indy car fans would be happy with a constructors series. i can enjoy both for what they both are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 am 

pc27b wrote:
i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic

It sadly says a lot for the state of the sport that people continue to use the race of the midfield cars as a selling point.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:23 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
pc27b wrote:
i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic

It sadly says a lot for the state of the sport that people continue to use the race of the midfield cars as a selling point.

I Would say it shows the state of the sport when mid field does not seem to matter. Every team and car is there to race.
The leaders get all the TV coverage, so more advertising revenue, the tail enders who are struggling with cost anyway get blue flagged out of the way which costs them far more time than their lack of performance does.

(not picking on you Jezza, its everyone. In particular the ones in charge of which cameras gets to air)