planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2345
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Image indycar.com

Sometimes, strategies could backfire when yellows are in the way. But this weekend, there was no stopping Alexander Rossi by going to 2 pit stops and overwhelming the field to a 2nd win of the season from pole at the Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Race Course at Lexington dominating Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens by 12 seconds. This is also a 1-2 finish for 2 former Marussia drivers. Will Power would take the last podium spot.

It all began right before the green when Rossi brake-checked the field causing a small jam. That is where Rossi would hammer down. Officials were reviewing the start if Rossi was impeding the start. but no action was taken. After a great qualifying for Max Chilton, his race went south when he spun Takuma Sato in lap 2 thus he had to serve a penalty for avoidable contact. With all the drivers opting for 3 stops, Rossi was in a class of his own and surviving back markers along the way by only taking 2 stops without looking back.

Josef Newgarden and Scott Dixon finished in the top 5. They were followed by Sebastian Bourdais who came from the back to finish 6th, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Simon Pagenaud, Graham Rahal, and Zach Veach completed the top 10.

With the win, Rossi trimmed 1/3rd of Dixon's points lead from 69 to 46 (494-448), Newgarden is in a distant 3rd followed by Power and Hunter-Reay in the top 5.

The series will have a long summer break before heading to Long Pond, Pa for the ultimate tricky Pocono triangle.

Report:
https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/07/07 ... ecap-final

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... FICIAL.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5570
Location: Michigan, USA
Dominant performance by Rossi, certainly tossing his hat quite strongly into the ring of championship contenders. Driver of the race for me would have to be Bourdais, though - brutal overtakes and pace! :thumbup:

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (3 wins, 12 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 371
Location: b. c. canada
Bourdais around the outside passes should be played over and over on here as a reminder on how big balls and skill can overcome tough to pass track. Very good race with lots of excellent overtakes which shows that with the right rules overtakes can happen. Take note F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:25 pm
Posts: 420
F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6297
Location: Nebraska, USA
mmi16 wrote:
F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!


Indy cars have been doing it all year, both on road courses and ovals. It has been fun to watch.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5570
Location: Michigan, USA
Blake wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!

Indy cars have been doing it all year, both on road courses and ovals. It has been fun to watch.

I think IndyCar has got it about right with this year's aero kit. There was certainly racing for position, but it wasn't like you could just drive past without having to work for it; Will Power spent some time holding up faster cars, and he was far from the only one. Really only Newgarden and Bourdais seemed able to consistently make moves on cars with similar tyres, and it came down to skill and bravery when they did so.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (3 wins, 12 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 1538
Location: Canada
Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
F1 fans should watch this race - if they want to see actual racing for positions!

Indy cars have been doing it all year, both on road courses and ovals. It has been fun to watch.

I think IndyCar has got it about right with this year's aero kit. There was certainly racing for position, but it wasn't like you could just drive past without having to work for it; Will Power spent some time holding up faster cars, and he was far from the only one. Really only Newgarden and Bourdais seemed able to consistently make moves on cars with similar tyres, and it came down to skill and bravery when they did so.

Totally agree. I still like F1 to be sure, but find the Indy racing better than F1 this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 am
Posts: 59
.[/quote]
Totally agree. I still like F1 to be sure, but find the Indy racing better than F1 this year.[/quote]

That was some of the best racing i've seen all year, at the moment F1 is not even close.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
As an American, I don't compare Indycar to F1. Indycar is spec racing... everyone uses the same chassis and aero package... might as well have all teams racing the same Porsche 911 derivative (read: Boring) So the racing is logically closer, depending only on which driver is having a good day. Alonso will fit into Indycar quite well.

F1 has some elements of spec racing to it. Regrettably, he regs are (now) so tight that design is channeled into standardization, so innovation is discouraged (no 6-wheelers on the horizon, for example, no longer a variety of engine configs.) But at least the teams design and build their cars from the ground up (less consumables like tires, brakes). Fans who appreciate this technical pursuit accept the seeming processional nature of the sport.

_________________
Short-time member, Life-Long Fan from 1965 -- More than 550 Grand Prix recorded since 1982 (all but 3), and counting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm
Posts: 528
Location: illinois
MB-BOB wrote:
As an American, I don't compare Indycar to F1. Indycar is spec racing... everyone uses the same chassis and aero package... might as well have all teams racing the same Porsche 911 derivative (read: Boring) So the racing is logically closer, depending only on which driver is having a good day. Alonso will fit into Indycar quite well.

F1 has some elements of spec racing to it. Regrettably, he regs are (now) so tight that design is channeled into standardization, so innovation is discouraged (no 6-wheelers on the horizon, for example, no longer a variety of engine configs.) But at least the teams design and build their cars from the ground up (less consumables like tires, brakes). Fans who appreciate this technical pursuit accept the seeming processional nature of the sport.



good post. i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic

i don't think hardcore f1 fans would be happy with a totally spec series, and i don't think hardcore indy car fans would be happy with a constructors series. i can enjoy both for what they both are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1242
Location: Far side of Koozebane
pc27b wrote:
i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic


It sadly says a lot for the state of the sport that people continue to use the race of the midfield cars as a selling point.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8031
Jezza13 wrote:
pc27b wrote:
i have some indy car only friends who complain how boring f1 is. i point out what you did, f1 makes their own car (for the most part) and the midfield battles are fantastic


It sadly says a lot for the state of the sport that people continue to use the race of the midfield cars as a selling point.


I Would say it shows the state of the sport when mid field does not seem to matter. Every team and car is there to race.
The leaders get all the TV coverage, so more advertising revenue, the tail enders who are struggling with cost anyway get blue flagged out of the way which costs them far more time than their lack of performance does.


(not picking on you Jezza, its everyone. In particular the ones in charge of which cameras gets to air)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group