planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:42 am 

No one in MotoGP struggles with lack of fitness esp Lorenzo

Wouldnt miss Sachsenring at all if/when it gets dropped. Only 1 line available so all 3 races were boring with no weather intervention

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 am 

Zazu wrote:

Wouldnt miss Sachsenring at all if/when it gets dropped. Only 1 line available so all 3 races were boring with no weather intervention

That's clearly not true given that he had a fuel tank especially made for him to alleviate that specific problem he was having.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:

That's clearly not true given that he had a fuel tank especially made for him to alleviate that specific problem he was having.
My opinion is that his tyres started to go off earlier then the others. You could see that he was struggling to get the bike stopped into turn 1, and lost two places in separate laps there.
I actually like Sachsenring and probably will miss it - it does pose its own challenges for the riders. On the other hand, a new circuit will be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:

My opinion is that his tyres started to go off earlier then the others. You could see that he was struggling to get the bike stopped into turn 1, and lost two places in separate laps there.
I actually like Sachsenring and probably will miss it - it does pose its own challenges for the riders. On the other hand, a new circuit will be interesting.

Yeah it did seem that way, regarding his fitness that's something that's been put out there in the paddock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:02 pm 

pokerman wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:

Yeah it did seem that way, regarding his fitness that's something that's been put out there in the paddock.

I think you're misinterpreting the situation slightly. It wasn't about his personal fitness. It was about the ergonomics of the bike and how it clashed with his riding style. He was wearing down physically but it was due to his riding position putting too much stress on his upper body. With the new tank pad, this was supposedly solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting the situation slightly. It wasn't about his personal fitness. It was about the ergonomics of the bike and how it clashed with his riding style. He was wearing down physically but it was due to his riding position putting too much stress on his upper body. With the new tank pad, this was supposedly solved.

No it's being said since then, I'm guessing the Ducati would be a different beast to the smooth riding Yamaha he had before?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm 

Great racing! What a fabulous finish and fight amongst Dovi, JL, and MM. I have a lot more thoughts to expound upon later, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that one yesterday, as a racing fan first, and Ducati fan second.

Gutted for Cal, Rossi pulled out an outstanding move on him on the last corner of the last lap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm 

Cold Gin wrote:
Great racing! What a fabulous finish and fight amongst Dovi, JL, and MM. I have a lot more thoughts to expound upon later, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that one yesterday, as a racing fan first, and Ducati fan second.

Gutted for Cal, Rossi pulled out an outstanding move on him on the last corner of the last lap.

Hmmm was it really, how much racing could the riders actually do on the high deg tyres, the first half of the race was a precession, also no coincidence to see the tyres benefit the Ducati the most and in particular Lorenzo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 pm 

good race at the end. impressed with lorenzo in that race even without winning. seemed to pace himself better and great move on Marquez on last lap. showed plenty of fight which is a good sign for next year. if he likes the honda hes gonna give Marquez a serious test. Marquez is already a great, but lorenzo will show us how great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 pm 

Zazu wrote:

That’s a VERY interesting statement in that even without additional fitness sessions, just riding alone provides a full body workout and keeps your core strong and fit like nothing else!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 pm 

Zazu wrote:

That’s a VERY interesting statement in that even without additional fitness sessions, just riding alone provides a full body workout and keeps your core strong and fit like nothing else!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:39 am 

Another great race. Top four were stars. Even when Rossi doesn't have a bike capable of winning the race, he's still able to fight to the end and pull out some magic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:28 am 

Toby. wrote:
Another great race. Top four were stars. Even when Rossi doesn't have a bike capable of winning the race, he's still able to fight to the end and pull out some magic.

Horses for courses I suppose?

My thinking was even though he didn't have a bike capable of winning the race Marquez still got on the podium.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:

Hmmm was it really, how much racing could the riders actually do on the high deg tyres, the first half of the race was a precession, also no coincidence to see the tyres benefit the Ducati the most and in particular Lorenzo.

Not sure what you are watching, dude. Yeah, it was a great race, and I would never call a motoGP race, especially at Brno, which is a fabulous track, a procession. Are they going as fast as they possibly can each lap? Of course not---Then again, they never do, and cannot. There has to be some conservation efforts to allow them to attack in the second part of the race, which you saw Lorenzo do, Marquez usually does well, as does Dovi. To suggest the first half was a procession reeks of hyperbole when there was plenty of overtaking and riders changing position. In particular, Rossi had a great race until his rear tire dropped too much, which is problem the Yamaha has with the way their bike accelerates and spins, causing them to burn the tire a bit more than others and costs them the ability to drive out of corners later.

As far as your suggestion that Ducati somehow benefits from the selection of tires, which, are chosen for all rounds BEFORE THE SEASON starts, I don't know what to say to that. This particular track suited the Ducati more, then say Assen with high speed corners or long radius corners. The temperature is a consideration that has to be discussed as well. Brno had very high temps, nearly everyone had to go H/H, otherwise they would likely fade badly. Rossi was the only one out of the top five that didn't go H/H. Nevertheless, Marquez would have tried to win it if it he had the pace to do so. I don't think he did, and he was smart not to try and fight to the death to win with so many good points on offer, which he rightfully took.

If you've got more substance to your tire theory, I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 pm 

Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:

Not sure what you are watching, dude. Yeah, it was a great race, and I would never call a motoGP race, especially at Brno, which is a fabulous track, a procession. Are they going as fast as they possibly can each lap? Of course not---Then again, they never do, and cannot. There has to be some conservation efforts to allow them to attack in the second part of the race, which you saw Lorenzo do, Marquez usually does well, as does Dovi. To suggest the first half was a procession reeks of hyperbole when there was plenty of overtaking and riders changing position. In particular, Rossi had a great race until his rear tire dropped too much, which is problem the Yamaha has with the way their bike accelerates and spins, causing them to burn the tire a bit more than others and costs them the ability to drive out of corners later.

As far as your suggestion that Ducati somehow benefits from the selection of tires, which, are chosen for all rounds BEFORE THE SEASON starts, I don't know what to say to that. This particular track suited the Ducati more, then say Assen with high speed corners or long radius corners. The temperature is a consideration that has to be discussed as well. Brno had very high temps, nearly everyone had to go H/H, otherwise they would likely fade badly. Rossi was the only one out of the top five that didn't go H/H. Nevertheless, Marquez would have tried to win it if it he had the pace to do so. I don't think he did, and he was smart not to try and fight to the death to win with so many good points on offer, which he rightfully took.

When the riders at the back are able to set fastest laps then you know that the front runners were cruising, they dare not push the tyres until they were halfway through the race.

I didn't say the tyres were being brought to deliberately favour Ducati just that when the tyres are marginal then it suits Ducati.

So every time there are concerns about tyres lasting the race don't be surprised if Ducati do well in those races.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 pm 

Good win for Lorenzo after an epic battle with Marquez but Marquez extends his lead by 10 points.

A Lorenzo/Ducati line up could have been a potent line up for the title next year but unfortunately things came together a race too late, maybe it's better for Marquez that Lorenzo is to be his teammate next year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm 

never been a lorenzo fan really but thoroughly enjoying watching this version of him. seems more feisty then ever. yamahas terrible again. rossi as usual a sunday rider. vinales the worst starter and worst first lap rider i can remember. s**t bike or not. seriously needs to sort it out or hes gonna fade into obscurity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm 

Great ride from Lorenzo! He finally understands that you don't win by running away from the field on the Ducati. You have to allow the tires to slowly come into their window and not push until about half way through the race.

Honestly, I think Ducati have had the best bike three years running now. Okay, it's not an easy bike to wrap your head around but I think it has been the fastest more often than not since 2016. Losing Lorenzo is a disaster for Ducati! It just took too long for him to figure out the bike and for them to understand what he needed. Without question, Ducati will NOT have a rider of his caliber next year and they will lose out because of it. For me, they should be aggressively pursuing the likes of Vinales, Zarco, Oliveira and/or Bagnaia. They are squandering an era of strength!

The Moto2 race was a real treat. It's definitely a two-horse race for the championship now and the top two riders really put on a show. I'm not sure who I like for the championship right now but I think it will come down to consistency. Whoever can remain on the bike and avoid catastrophe will win it IMO.

I think Martin did an astonishing job in Moto3 considering the fracture he was racing with. I think he'll hang on and still win the title assuming he is able to avoid aggravating the injury for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:12 pm 

Glad I didn't forget there was a race on this time; I completely forgot about Brno. :blush: Gladder still to see Lorenzo win; I have always had a soft spot for him, for the way he went up against Rossi from the moment he came into MotoGP. Slightly worried by how he and Dovi don't seem to be able to work together.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Glad I didn't forget there was a race on this time; I completely forgot about Brno. :blush: Gladder still to see Lorenzo win; I have always had a soft spot for him, for the way he went up against Rossi from the moment he came into MotoGP. Slightly worried by how he and Dovi don't seem to be able to work together.

I am afraid Dovi, nice as he is, just realized a few months ago he would not beat Lorenzo this year. He played his cards and got to stay at Ducati. Trying now to save face, he has antagonised Lorenzo with some weird comments... I kind of understand it, but it has created the bad atmosphere... Nobody is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Great ride from Lorenzo! He finally understands that you don't win by running away from the field on the Ducati. You have to allow the tires to slowly come into their window and not push until about half way through the race.

Honestly, I think Ducati have had the best bike three years running now. Okay, it's not an easy bike to wrap your head around but I think it has been the fastest more often than not since 2016. Losing Lorenzo is a disaster for Ducati! It just took too long for him to figure out the bike and for them to understand what he needed. Without question, Ducati will NOT have a rider of his caliber next year and they will lose out because of it. For me, they should be aggressively pursuing the likes of Vinales, Zarco, Oliveira and/or Bagnaia. They are squandering an era of strength!

The Moto2 race was a real treat. It's definitely a two-horse race for the championship now and the top two riders really put on a show. I'm not sure who I like for the championship right now but I think it will come down to consistency. Whoever can remain on the bike and avoid catastrophe will win it IMO.

I think Martin did an astonishing job in Moto3 considering the fracture he was racing with. I think he'll hang on and still win the title assuming he is able to avoid aggravating the injury for the rest of the year.

With Bagnaia in the Pramac ride next year, the factory Ducati team will certainly have an excellent look for the future if he can impress on it. Petrucci is on a one-year deal starting next year, so there is a window for them to seek a replacement should he not work out. Petrucci is on the hottest seat in the paddock, and he knows it. If he doesn't produce podiums at minimum, I don't think he stays there. I think the most likely target for Ducati in 2020 is Maverick Vinales. He is clearly disillusioned with Yamaha, they aren't much helping him, and he is contracted through the end of next year. If he isn't challenging at the front, there is no way he stays, and even if he is, it doesn't mean he's staying.

The Vinales situation is perplexing, honestly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:

When the riders at the back are able to set fastest laps then you know that the front runners were cruising, they dare not push the tyres until they were halfway through the race.

I didn't say the tyres were being brought to deliberately favour Ducati just that when the tyres are marginal then it suits Ducati.

So every time there are concerns about tyres lasting the race don't be surprised if Ducati do well in those races.

My mistake then mate, I was thinking you were suggesting there was something behind the scenes going on.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion, but the track still has a lot to do with it. The point and squirt type tracks will suit the Ducati with the insane amount of power they have, especially in 4th,5th,6th gear. Fast corners though, they still have issues with as they burn the tires more than the Yamaha or the Honda, I think, which causes them to fade. Jerez and Assen are examples of this. I think of the tracks left that the series is going to, San Marino, Valencia, and Australia could cause Ducati difficulties. Motegi, Sepang, Silverstone, Aragon, and *I think* Thailand will be favorable. I don't know much about Thailand other than playing the MotoGP video game regarding layout, and it is a pretty simple circuit. But what do I know? We've been lucky to see so many surprises.

I really like watching Oliveira ride; I hope he can produce quality next year. KTM in general, really. I am excited and hopeful that they will be able to challenge for top 6 finishes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm 

Great Moto2 Race but what a ride from Lorenzo! That was laying a marker for next year, definitely. It was like watching a different rider - not so much the speed, but the aggression and confidence. Brilliant to watch and a reminder that Lorenzo isn't just all about that unreal consistency with lap times. Always thought he should have "The Metronome" across his backside a la "The Doctor".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm 

I was incorrect, Vinales is contracted through 2020. No wonder he's so downtrodden, this year is blown, and he wants significant improvement for next year, obviously. Hope Yamaha gets him and Rossi engine improvements.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm 

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... factories/

Love these race write-ups from this website.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 am 

After yesterdays pile-up at Stowe due to aquaplaning, the MotoGP race at Silverstone will take the Moto3 slot and start at 1130 this morning to avoid the worst of the expected weather.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am 

Looks like the resurfacing work done at Silverstone is a disaster, as well as the surface having ripples in it also it doesn't drain away the water, so any reasonable amount of water then the track is like a skating ring, this also might be a problem in future with F1?

A few cancelled races and then you have to worry about the future of Silverstone or maybe I'm just being a bit over dramatic?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm 

Wow, they actually cancelled the race! Never seen that before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:41 pm 

Rain was far worse in 2015 and all the races went ahead

Complete catastrophe for Silverstone. Unless they refund tickets cant see many people who went on Sunday buying tickets for future events

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:40 pm 

True, Zazu, but the track was far better. Not sure how it is possible, but the recent resurfacing has made the drainage infintiely worse, the bumps were worse, and the conditions deplorable. Much as I wanted them to race, and as shocking as it was that they didn't, I don't think anyone can argue that it was safe.

The fact that they couldn't run it the next day, when the circuit stated they could retain the bare-bones version of staff and to run the race, is even worse. I feel that DORNA should have forced them to run on Monday. I know teams had testing scheduled, etc., but they shouldn't lose sight of the big picture so easily.

Of course, I was at Indy 2005 for F1. I know the feeling of getting robbed. That was a bit different, but it left a horrible taste in my mouth, and I felt like it was a lot of money wasted.

What was particularly bad was the fact that Crutchlow looked very formidable, to say nothing of Dovi and Lorenzo. I feel like we could have had an epic race, and all of us were robbed of that.

What a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 pm 

It's being suggested that track needs resurfacing again, I wonder if there's any recourse to the original contractors who have made such a poor job of the resurfacing work?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 am 

Cold Gin wrote:
True, Zazu, but the track was far better. Not sure how it is possible, but the recent resurfacing has made the drainage infintiely worse, the bumps were worse, and the conditions deplorable. Much as I wanted them to race, and as shocking as it was that they didn't, I don't think anyone can argue that it was safe.

The fact that they couldn't run it the next day, when the circuit stated they could retain the bare-bones version of staff and to run the race, is even worse. I feel that DORNA should have forced them to run on Monday. I know teams had testing scheduled, etc., but they shouldn't lose sight of the big picture so easily.

Of course, I was at Indy 2005 for F1. I know the feeling of getting robbed. That was a bit different, but it left a horrible taste in my mouth, and I felt like it was a lot of money wasted.

What was particularly bad was the fact that Crutchlow looked very formidable, to say nothing of Dovi and Lorenzo. I feel like we could have had an epic race, and all of us were robbed of that.

What a bummer.

Don't think a Monday race is an option at all. Qatar is unique because theres minimal spectators to worry about and they'll happily pay for new travel arrangements for the paddock (which will be a flyaway setup rather than the full European rounds set ups)

The silverstone layout is a great for good races.

The surface last year was dreadful buts its incredibly they can resurface an entire track and get it so hideously wrong. Even in the dry the bumps were a farce. When the motogp race initially got delayed in most parts it was only drizzle!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm 

Simeon to ride Rabat's bike, Ponsson drafted in to ride Simeon's bike.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/90476 ... tia-ducati

Let's hope they race this weekend. Still experiencing a bad hangover from Sliverstone!!! :x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 pm 

Marquez and Rossi having a bit of fun,I'd guess.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/90479 ... -handshake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:36 pm 

Marc is an absolute entertainer. He crashed his bike with 5 mins remaining in Qualifying, and got up, ran to the pits for spare bike and completed the session albeit with no improvement. We need more characters like him in F1 too.

Edit : Youtube video embedded

Last edited by robins13 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

robins13 wrote:
Marc is an absolute entertainer. He crashed his bike with 5 mins remaining in Qualifying, and got up, ran to the pits for spare bike and completed the session albeit with no improvement. We need more characters like him in F1 too.
https://youtu.be/8seNVgPR0Bw

He did something similar in COTA 2015 too.

Edit : Youtube video embedded

Last edited by robins13 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 pm 

robins13 wrote:
https://youtu.be/8seNVgPR0Bw

Unfortunately since spare cars were banned it wouldn't be possible. Remember Brundle legging it back to the pits during a red flag as the start of a race to find Sid Watkins, get cleared for the restart and jumping in the spare. Now he be left with no car...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:48 pm 

shoot999 wrote:

:uhoh:

I wonder what the appropriate penalty is for attempted murder?