planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which team would you choose to dominate?
Mercedes 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Ferrari 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Force India 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Williams 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Renault 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Toro Rosso 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Haas 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
McLaren 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Sauber 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 45
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am 

It's always a shame when a team is dominant, but some more than others. So if dominance was guaranteed in 2018 but you could choose which team it was, who would you choose?

Feel free to order them from best to worst too. Personally:

1. Red Bull
2. McLaren
3. Force India
4. Renault
5. Toro Rosso
6. Haas
7. Sauber
8. Williams
9. Ferrari
10. Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am 

Although my favorite drivers are at Ferrari and RBR they're two of the teams I'd prefer to the lest to dominate just because of all the whinging and whining that would ensue. So I'd rather it be newer teams, teams that have been around for awhile but never top tier, or a return to glory from a former top team that has suffered at sea for years.

Haas
Sauber
Williams
Force India
Renault
STR
McLaren
Red Bull
Ferrari
Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am 

Not keen to see anyone dominate, but if I had to choose it would be McLaren. It's been too long since they've been at the top and I'd really like to see them back there, where (IMO) they belong.they've been a force in F1 since as long as I can remember and I think it's a little sad that they are now relegated to 2nd tier status

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am 

Haas would have been cool, something new and fresh

1. Haas
2. Williams
4. Toro Rosso
5. Renault
6. Force India
7. Sauber
8. Ferrari
9. Red Bull
10. Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 am 

I've never personally known a period of McLaren dominance, so I'd go for that.

But only for a season or two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 am 

1. Force India
2. Renault
3. Red Bull
4. Haas
5. Mercedes
6. Sauber
7. Williams
8. Toro Rosso
9. Ferrari
10. McLaren

I don't really have an affinity towards any team (I suppose I could argue Sauber, since I drive an Alfa and really rate Charles Leclerc) so for me, if a team has to dominate then I'd prefer it to be one where the drivers are closely matched so we at least get some racing at the front. I'd also give some weight to a team's reliability as it's no good having two closely matched drivers if one of them is going to fail to finish four/five races more than the other. Force India seem to be the most reliable car where the drivers are pretty evenly matched, then the Renault pair (arguably more evenly matched, but with a less reliable car) and Red Bull. McLaren bottom because they're so unreliable with Ferrari just above them on the basis that I think Seb would be their WDC elect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 am 

I liked 2009 as Brawn were a one-off team who had an amazing season

I would like Mclaren to do the same but if they are as good as they say that dominance could continue for the coming seasons which wouldn't be good

I accept that the last few years of Mercedes winning is bad for some but as a Hamilton fan i think it's been great

So if 2018 had a dominant team other than Mercedes i would go for one unlikely to repeat it such as Toro Rosso, Haas or Sauber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm 

Someone completely unexpected as that would be fun in itself. So Sauber or FI.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm 

Toro Rosso - Honda would be funny.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
I liked 2009 as Brawn were a one-off team who had an amazing season. I accept that the last few years of Mercedes winning is bad for some but as a Hamilton fan i think it's been great

Agreed...

1. Mercedes
2. Everyone else. Seemingly Brawn-like random works (although Brawn caught everyone with their pants down)... Sentimentalism doesn't...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:33 pm 

I'd have to vote Williams. Purely sentimental. They are the team I support (despite them trying hard to lose support from fans based on their driver choices!), and the team I will continue to support. I have done since the mid 80s when I started watching F1.

Based on the fact that it's highly unlikely that this will happen in the near future, if ever again, I'd like to see an unexpected team (Toro Rosso, Force India, Sauber etc) do a "Brawn" and catch the others by surprise.

All that said, if my team aren't winning (which they haven't done for blimmin' years now!), I'm happy as long as the quality of racing is good, regardless of who the winner is :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 pm 

Not taking into account the current driver pairings and who would likely end up winning the WDC because of it:

1. Ferrari
2. McLaren
3. Williams
4. Red Bull
5. Renault
6. Sauber
7. Haas
8. Force India
9. Toro Rosso
10. Mercedes

Taking that into account:

1. McLaren
2. Red Bull
3. Force India
4. Sauber
5. Ferrari
6. Renault
7. Haas
8. Williams
9. Toro Rosso
10. Mercedes

I'm just tired of Mercedes either way, I guess. :lol: I voted for Ferrari, because when you get down to it, I care more about teams than drivers... even if I wouldn't be thrilled about Seb's sadly likely easy time of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm 

For me, personally? McLaren, of course. As a McLaren fan, it's been far too long since I've seen a 1-2. Actually, it's been so long I can't even remember for sure when it was, but probably some time in 2010! x(

Objectively however, it should be a team where a) both drivers are equal enough that it would be a season-long fight and b) both drivers have (in my opinion) earned a WDC. On that basis, it's hard to argue with Red Bull - Ricciardo and Max would make for an exciting battle for the title, and I feel that both are WDC-caliber and would deserve the title if they take it. Force India would probably be a close second in that regard, although I think the pairing is overall weaker.

McLaren or Ferrari would actually be the two worst from an objective standpoint, since Alonso and Vettel (respectively) would probably end up winning 16 or more races. If it was Alonso I'd find it very satisfying personally, but it's not what the sport needs.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 pm 

Williams, because their driver pairing is so underwhelming that they would probably squander a dominant car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 pm 

Surprised to see so many votes for Mercedes and Ferrari and only my own for Red Bull. I feel the latter would provide one of the most heated head to head fights we've ever seen whilst with the former two we could pretty much crown the drivers champion in March.

Maybe people don't care about WDC fights as much as I thought as this poll has gone the exact opposite way to what I expected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

I'd like to see Williams dominate again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Surprised to see so many votes for Mercedes and Ferrari and only my own for Red Bull. I feel the latter would provide one of the most heated head to head fights we've ever seen whilst with the former two we could pretty much crown the drivers champion in March.

Maybe people don't care about WDC fights as much as I thought as this poll has gone the exact opposite way to what I expected.

I think most people are just voting for their favorite team, to be honest. I myself voted for Macca because it's been so long since they won any sort of title that I'd be happy to see Alonso cruise to the championship: probably a lot of Ferrari fans are voting the same way.

The Merc fans are just being selfish, though. It's not like Mercedes has a title drought of any sort... :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 pm 

I cannot answer that, only which teams I would NOT like to see dominate.

Red Bull, Ferrari and probably Mclaren.

Not because I dislike them but because they are the teams that almost certainly would have team orders decide most races.

Force India allowed the drivers to race, and we have seen Merc allow it. (To a point admittedly)
I Think Renault also would, the others I have no idea.

Personally I thought the Merc years when Hamilton and Rosberg were allowed to race were as good as any inter team battles where there were only 2 teams involved.

With Ferrari when Schumacher was dominant there was no racing with him as when Alonso was the lead driver.
Same really with the Seb years at Red Bull, but maybe not as much as the other two, but always a pre selected winner if the chips were down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 pm 

moby wrote:

Not because I dislike them but because they are the teams that almost certainly would have team orders decide most races.

Force India allowed the drivers to race, and we have seen Merc allow it. (To a point admittedly)

I agree with the point you're making, but I don't really think there's any reason to think Red Bull would use excessive team orders on their drivers - and I don't think McLaren would either, since they never have in the past even when they were fighting for the championship. McLaren has a different problem, in that unless Vandoorne has taken a huge step forward this year he wouldn't be able to challenge Alonso, but I fully believe they would let him if he can.

Ferrari is different, in that I do believe they would use team orders - but they wouldn't need to. Seb would win at least 80-90% of the time anyway, and with a dominant car I think they'd let Kimi snag a couple of wins as a farewell gift.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 pm 

Exediron wrote:
moby wrote:

I agree with the point you're making, but I don't really think there's any reason to think Red Bull would use excessive team orders on their drivers - and I don't think McLaren would either, since they never have in the past even when they were fighting for the championship. McLaren has a different problem, in that unless Vandoorne has taken a huge step forward this year he wouldn't be able to challenge Alonso, but I fully believe they would let him if he can.

Ferrari is different, in that I do believe they would use team orders - but they wouldn't need to. Seb would win at least 80-90% of the time anyway, and with a dominant car I think they'd let Kimi snag a couple of wins as a farewell gift.

I have nothing to back up my 'Theory' except previous years. The extra little kicker this year is how long it is since any of those 3 won the championship, and the need to get the title again. Especially Mclaren. Especially Especially Mclaren with Alonso as a driver. (and no Ron)

Red Bull have been mumbling about withdrawing for a few years now, so there will be some nervous bosses in the team, and they need to keep their high publicity driver who is not always the best over the long run.

Ferrari, Nah, did they let previous long service drivers who were far more deserving win? Even if the thought entered their heads, Seb would soon explain the error of their ways. He loved the record books and if possible wants pole, fastest lap and win every time out.

As I say, just Gut and past practice, but i am reasonably confident. I am not confident the 'let then race' appearance from Merc is really as sincere as they would have us believe though. They are there to win titles, but try to do it with a good press.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I think most people are just voting for their favorite team, to be honest. I myself voted for Macca because it's been so long since they won any sort of title that I'd be happy to see Alonso cruise to the championship: probably a lot of Ferrari fans are voting the same way.

The Merc fans are just being selfish, though. It's not like Mercedes has a title drought of any sort... :?

I think a smile or wink might be more appropriate there. We're not all selfish you know? :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I think a smile or wink might be more appropriate there. We're not all selfish you know? :)

I considered the wink, but I'm actually serious about it. Any Mercedes fan who wants to follow up four years of domination with another year of domination is definitely not thinking of the big picture in F1. There are certainly non-selfish Mercedes fans, I'm just doubting that they're the ones who voted for Merc to get another year of domination.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 am 

Maybe but maybe not

In my view it is hard to look past your direct interest. As a hypothetical question i chose some of the lower teams to dominate

I would remove Mercedes if Ferrari also couldn't win. As a one year only i would accept Red Bull but it's not such a distant memory since they last did

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Are you sure :twisted: I want to see racing, I think that may be selfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am 

Wouldn't mind Hamilton walking away with it..! :]
(And I still haven't recovered from the RB/Vettel dominance... so please not a Vettel/Ferrari dominance!)

1. Mercedes / Hamilton
2. RB / Ricciardo
3. McLaren / Alonso / Vandoorne
4. TR / Hartley
5. Ferrari / Räikkönen
6. Don't care
7. Don't care
8. Don't care
9. Don't care
10. Ferrari / Vettel

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:08 am 

moby wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Are you sure :twisted: I want to see racing, I think that may be selfish

Of course! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:54 pm 

Exediron wrote:

I like seeing records being broken. Some might say that is what F1 is all about.

McLaren braking records with 15/16 wins in 1988 was boring as hell to watch, but it was history being made. If you weren't there for that one, the same occurred when Vettel won his 4 WDCs, four years in a row... and when Schumacher won his 7 WDCs in the Ferrari before that.

Unforseen events excepted, Hamilton will approach Schumacher's total wins and WDC records, if not exceed them. History unfolding creating excitement? Maybe, or maybe not. The tension of anticipating what will happen will certainly be seen as boring by others.

Those bored watching it now may tell their grand kids differently in the future. "I watched when Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won all but one..." So, let's not be so quick to assume agendas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 pm 
As a Hamilton fan, Mercedes would be nice.

But as a fan of F1, surely if anybody is to dominate then you would want it to be Red Bull as we would have a genuine title fight. Most of the other teams have a clear stronger driver, so dominance = a none title fight. Mercedes dominated the last 4 years but 2015 is the only year we didn't have a title fight. True dominance like 2004 or 2011 are very very boring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 pm 

lamo wrote:
Most of the other teams have a clear stronger driver

I would love to see Force India scrap it out. It would certainly be exciting!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:25 pm 

What would be nice is dominance and a weak engine. :twisted: (as in 'blows its self up' every few races)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 pm 

Sauber. Simply because of Peter himself and because every fan remembers how good it felt when Toro Rosso scored their first win.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:41 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Sauber. Simply because of Peter himself and because every fan remembers how good it felt when Toro Rosso scored their first win.

Except Stoddard :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm 

Exediron wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I considered the wink, but I'm actually serious about it. Any Mercedes fan who wants to follow up four years of domination with another year of domination is definitely not thinking of the big picture in F1. There are certainly non-selfish Mercedes fans, I'm just doubting that they're the ones who voted for Merc to get another year of domination.

Mercedes were dominant last year?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 12th

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 am 

I'd give Alonso a shot in a dominant car for a year or two as a retirement gift and I think Stoff would be closer than people think but Red Bull would provide the best fight title wise in a dominant car, I agree with those saying that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:11 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
I'd give Alonso a shot in a dominant car for a year or two as a retirement gift and I think Stoff would be closer than people think but Red Bull would provide the best fight title wise in a dominant car, I agree with those saying that.

Alonso deserves his third title, regarding Red Bull if I look at last year Ricciardo would be the new Rosberg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 am 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Not taken in isolation, no. But since they did win both titles, I think it's fair to say the period of Mercedes dominance has not ended yet. Ferrari wasn't dominant in each individual season between 2000 and 2004, but the whole period is still considered to be the dominance of Ferrari. Mercedes dominance will end when they lose a title, not simply the first time they have to actually fight for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Alonso deserves his third title, regarding Red Bull if I look at last year Ricciardo would be the new Rosberg.

I'd love a third so he can go to Indy and do a full season while still in or near his prime yeah.

I can't make an argument for Dan being better than Max last year but I still think it go either way with these softer tyres this year, apparently Dan suffered a bit in getting them in the window like Max could on the harder compounds last year in quali so I want to see another year before putting him in the Nico bracket but I can see where you're coming from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:09 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Not taken in isolation, no. But since they did win both titles, I think it's fair to say the period of Mercedes dominance has not ended yet. Ferrari wasn't dominant in each individual season between 2000 and 2004, but the whole period is still considered to be the dominance of Ferrari. Mercedes dominance will end when they lose a title, not simply the first time they have to actually fight for it.

Alright I understand the wording now, dominance of winning titles rather than having a dominant car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 pm 

moby wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Except Stoddard :twisted:
Except Stoddard? Please explain Moby.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 am 

I didn't bother voting because dominance is part of why I don't like the current F1.

Red Bull have 2 fairly equal drivers, and that would mean you could have a competition between 2 cars/drivers, so they would be the logical team to vote for in that respect, but the Red Bull will be particularly fast around corners, so shorter braking distances and acceleration distances, with wider cars make overtaking using identical cars (without DRS) unlikely except on a few tracks.

When the car dominates and the rules result in cars that are not suited to racing on existing GP tracks, that's a recipe for boring F1.