It is currently Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm 

But at times it will backfire. This is possibly the a re-newed rivalry in the making between former Marussia alumni Robert Wickens (Who had a brief testing in 2011) and Alexander Rossi (who was a reserve in 2014 and raced 5 events in 2015 under the Manor banner). In the end, it was Sebastian Bourdais who became the beneficiary of the collision between Rossi and Wickens to repeat as the winner of the St. Petersburg Grand Prix that ended in a yellow flag with 2 laps to go. It was also an emotional win after surviving the crash during the 2017 Indy Car qualifying last year that kept him most of the 2017 season.

RLLR's Graham Rahal finished 2nd with Rossi taking the final podium. During the race, Wickens started the race from the pole in his Indy Car debut with Schmidt Peterson Motorsport and became the dominant driver of the race as was Ed Carpenter Racing driver Jordan King (Also a former Manor reserve and test driver). and how they put in a show. And so did former British F3 champion Matheus Leist with AJ Foyt Racing right before he suffered a stuck gearbox and a crash on lap 28. It was clear sailing for Wickens from lap 44 onwards with that possible debut win. But the lead disappeared on him when Juncos Racing and Indy Car debutant Rene Binder would also meet the wall nose first in turn 10 on lap 102. The re-start ensued once again on lap 107 and Wickens put distance on Rossi once again right before Carlin's Max Chilton would later lost control. Nearly hitting the wall before stalling. Then on the re-start, Wickens was caught napping before the finish line with Rossi pouncing. But at the 1st turn, Rossi lost his rear-end (Due to the runway paint where it had no grip) colliding with Wickens that would sent him into the wall, in which Bourdais and Rahal passed him with Rossi retaining 3rd.

Wickens' SPM teammate James Hinchcliffe would finish 4th, followed by Andretti Autosport's Ryan Hunter-Reay completing the top 5. Chip Ganassi's Scott Dixon - who was involved in that turn 1 incident with Takuma Sato and got hit with 2 penalties - rallies for 6th. Josef Newgarden finishes 7th for Penske - where they suffered their worst outing outside the top 5. Dixon's teammate Ed Jones gets his 1st top 10 with his new team for 8th. Marco Andretti rallies from 18th to 9th. Will Power rounds up the top 10.

Other notables:

Tony Kannan (AJ Foyt Raving) - 11th
Takuma Sato (Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing) -12th
Simon Pagenaud (Penske) - 13th.

Former Marussia/Manor alumni:
Wickens - 18th
Chilton - 19th
Jordan King - 21st
(King had a great run right before he nudged his right rear on the wall. But let also give Wickens another applause. Both King and Wickens drove a great race. But the issue was the runway paint on turn 1 during the weekend where it has no grip. But at the same time - there could be a rivalry in 2018).

Now - on to Phoenix.

Give your thoughts on the race and the track itself. ... ecap-final ... esults.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 pm 

LOL, this sounds like an article written by Mrs Rossi. Just for the record, I want Rossi to do well in Indycar and was rooting for him to win........, but not like that!!!

This sentence kind of cracks me up, "Wickens was caught napping before the finish line with Rossi pouncing. But at the 1st turn, ROSSI LOST HIS REAR END (Due to the runway paint where it had no grip) colliding with Wickens that would sent him into the wall"

Rossi "Lost his rear-end"? Huh? This reads like the typical person who takes no responsibility for their actions. (I guess society is more and more this way...."I lost my job"...No you didn't you got FIRE!! "I lost my house".....No you didn't, you couldn't make your house payment so you had to move. The list goes on.

At any rate, as a racer, I am a little offended that the issue is treat footed around. Look, painted surfaces never have as much grip, this is racing 101. The surface didn't all of the sudden appear with paint. Lets look at reality, he went too deep into the corner and couldn't get the car to slow quickly enough because of it, which also effected his ability to get the car to rotate. So you are trying to go DEEPER, AND take a sharper apex in an area with less grip on a guy that has been driving better than anyone in the field all day? I call it "STUPID" and frankly, I think he deserved a penalty for it. There was NOTHING about Wickens "napping", what a joke!! Really not cool to take away a dominating performance in his showcase for Wickens. I am still rooting for Rossi, but that was a bone headed move, PERIOD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 pm 

Paul Tracy's take on the end of the race: "... in reality, it looks like he (Wickens) didn't get a great restart, didn't protect the inside, left the door wide open, and I can see it from Rossi's perspective. If it was me, I would have drove it down the f*****g inside as well. You could've driven a Mack truck through there. I would have been disappointed in Rossi if he didn't go for it. Rossi went for it, ultimately, they banged wheel to wheel, and he hip-checked Wickens out of the way. But the door was left open and that's what racing is."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm 

I read an interview with Robert, and Wickens said he had a weaker restart because Indy used a different procedure than they had for all the other restarts in the race. They had up till this restart, had the drivers wait till the lights went out on the pace car. For this restart they verbally advised the drivers that the restart was taking place but the lights on the pace car were left on, which confused Wickens for just long enough. Rossi should have gone down the inside for sure, but he was clearly out of control and sliding when he slid into Wickens. I say Wickens was robbed of a great debut which should have read pole, dominance and a win. But, that's racin'.

I must say that I don't like race endings like that and I also disapproved of how the Daytona 500 finish went where the leader was punted out of the way at the last moment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am 

Great debut by Wickens and Rossi again showing great form, Bourdais again is always there showing he has'nt lost anything after his crash last year. A really good start to the season which looks to have shuffled the pack up a bit. The new Indy car body kit is a beauty so all in all this looks like it's going to be a very entertaining year. I'm more enthused by Indycar this year than F1