planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:38 pm 

So, is the shark fin now gone, or just the T-Wing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm 

According to F1, the shark fin is gone, but not necessarily a kind of T-wing.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/technical/2018/1/tech-insight---how-the-t-wing-could-return-in-2018.html

Edit: also interesting: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/technical/2018/1/what-are-the-new-f1-technical-rules-for-2018-.html

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm 

Fiki wrote:

Well, that's garbage. The T-wing was the only one I wanted gone! :x

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 pm 

I thought Mclaren had 'Veto'd' loosing the wing as they wanted to put a sponsor on it?

Was it not only to be dropped this year if there was unanimous consent, otherwise it would be next year?

(I know that seems to be an official page, but I thought.....)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am 

moby wrote:
I thought Mclaren had 'Veto'd' loosing the wing as they wanted to put a sponsor on it?

Was it not only to be dropped this year if there was unanimous consent, otherwise it would be next year?

Yes, I thought the same

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am 

Exediron wrote:
Fiki wrote:

It should be much more difficult to see by the looks of the pictures I've seen, kinda looks like it will be hidden by the rear tyres/wing.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moto ... 98971/amp/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am 

Exediron wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I can't imagine anybody liking the square shark fins. I didn't mind the pointed ones, but the square ones even make look the sports prototypes like flattened vans.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

moby wrote:

They vetoed keeping the shark fin for 2018, either to increase visibility to the rear wing for potential sponsors or just to mess with teams who had designed their cars with the full shark fin in mind and steal a bit of a march there. Never confirmed exactly which one it was but those are the two theories I read.

The main T-wing was just outright banned but the little lower ones like the one Williams ran could still be there.

Plus we'll have some aero details on the Halo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
moby wrote:

They vetoed keeping the shark fin for 2018, either to increase visibility to the rear wing for potential sponsors or just to mess with teams who had designed their cars with the full shark fin in mind and steal a bit of a march there. Never confirmed exactly which one it was but those are the two theories I read.

The main T-wing was just outright banned but the little lower ones like the one Williams ran could still be there.

Sorry, I put wing, but intended the one we all call shark fin.

As above, there seems to be a position outside the restricted area where the T wing can still be used though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 pm 

Fiki wrote:
I can't imagine anybody liking the square shark fins. I didn't mind the pointed ones, but the square ones even make look the sports prototypes like flattened vans.

Well then you've met your match, because I liked it.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 pm 

moby wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
moby wrote:

Sorry, I put wing, but intended the one we all call shark fin.

As above, there seems to be a position outside the restricted area where the T wing can still be used though.

:?

Yeah I addressed both there, McLaren vetoed bringing back the bigger shark fin like we had last year so it's still banned for this year and there may still be some Williams like T-Wings lower down near the monkey seat (The pic above Black Flag posted) but the main T-wing which could sit at the top of the now smaller shark fin is still banned.