planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Over the past couple of months we have implemented a few additional features to posts in the forum, and improved a few others, and we thought it would be a good idea to give a run down on how to use them. In this post I will attempt to explain how to use most of them, if anything is unclear, you can click "quote" on this post to see the BB code that I used.

Treat this thread as a guide, and if you have any questions or suggestions on how to improve, or potential new tags feel free to add them as a reply. Note, we will only add new posts if we think there will be a strong demand for them, and if we can be sure that there is no potential for the tag to be used to insert malicious code. That's why the Facebook one is limited to only posting video posts at the moment.

Obviously, there are the standard mark up controls, such as bold, italic, underline, strike-through for decorating text.

There is also the color style tag if you want to make your text look all pretty, and you can change the size so it is bigger or smaller and Even combine multiple tags if you so wish...

That's fairly standard stuff.

I'm also assuming people know how to add images:

from giphy

Or link to stuff either by pasting a url:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid

Or putting it between URL tags (kind of redundant)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointless

Or using the URL= tag to give it a nice pretty name.

You can also create lists using the List tag, using the * tag for each bullet.

• Explain basic formating tags
  • Explain img tag
  • Explain url tag
  • Explain list tag
  • Explain fancy new tags

That's it for the standard phpBB tags, but here at PF1 Forum we like to give you more options where possible, so here are a few additional things for you.

The spoiler tag
We have improved the spoiler tag, so it is easier to use and looks more in keeping with the forum style as seen below:
Spoiler (click to show)

You can also post spoilers with titles using the spoiler= tag:
This will spoil Star Wars for you (click to show)

The clicktoshow tag
This is basically another spoiler tag, but for when you only need to censor one word or a sentence. It works by redacting the text, but it can become visible if the user clicks on it (you can click to recensor it) like so:

The text either side is perfectly readable but you you can't read this, unless you click on it and so is this, but you need to click on the black rectangle to read what's hidden.

We did have a discussion about whether or not to implement it because it could be used irresponsibly. For example:

I can't believe that Lewis Hamilton won the race!

However, there are often times where using the full spoiler tag is a little clunky and we believe that having options is always good. If in doubt, err on the side of caution and use the spoiler tag

You can also combine these tags for:
super (click to show)

The Highlighter Tag
Sometimes, when quoting, you want to highlight a specific part of someone's post, to indicate what you are responding to. Typically, people chop down a post, or use bold tags, or put in a different colour. But no more! Introducing the new highlighter tag for drawing attention to something like you drew a new bright highlighter pen over it!!

You can implement it using either the highlighter tag, or, for those in a hurry, just put an h tag:
Code:
[highlighter]This would be highlighted[/highlighter]
[h]This would be highlighted too, but using 20 less keyboard presses![/h]

The Social Media Tags
Finally, adding YouTube Videos, Facebook Videos, Instagram Posts and Tweets to your posts.

youtube
With YouTube you need to use the video id number

for the url below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWNFUX_G7o

it's the part after the v=

HrWNFUX_G7o

place that between your youtube and /youtube tags to produce the following:

fbvid
To add Facebook Videos, use the fbvid tag. Much in the same way

for the url

https://www.facebook.com/BadParentingMo ... 550922606/

take everything after the facebook.com/ so:

BadParentingMoments/videos/10154586550922606/

tweets
Tweets work much the same way, just grab the tweet number and put it in some tweet tags, so from the tweet url:

https://twitter.com/F1/status/941291789650223104

take the number and put it between tweet and /tweet:

instagram
Instagram is predictably similar. Take the url for the Instagram, eg:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcscPb5lp7Z/

take the id from the url (after the /p/ - not including the last /) - ie:

BcscPb5lp7Z

...and wrap it with instagram and /instagram, like so:

An Instagram Post from

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:36 pm 

Good stuff. Any word on tapatalk integration, by any chance? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

mds wrote:
Good stuff. Any word on tapatalk integration, by any chance? ;)

I'm not sure this is something I can implement with my access rights, but I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I've looked into the Tapatalk thing, and it's not possible to do with our level of access. We (the mods) don't have server or FTP access, and the version of phpBB installed doesn't allow me to remotely install or modify themes without FTP access, or install plug ins.

However, I have found a loophole to allow me to do some modifications of the existing site layout, however it's very much a hack, so I don't have complete freedom. I can essentially inject some CSS and Javascript into the page to modify the layout - however the limited markup of the template with virtually no classes or ids, means that I have to be very sneaky to get the results I want.

However, that said, if people do have any requests for making the site work better on mobiles, I can look at integrating them into a mobile friendly responsive update.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

I have created a subforum where you can see the beta of the responsive layout I have been working on. Keep in mind it is a prototype and will have glitches that need ironing out as it is manipulating a layout that was probably designed for Windows ME users running Internet Explorer 5.

You can't post in it, only view, but you can see it in action here:

viewforum.php?f=12

Note, when providing feedback on any bugs you find, please give information regarding your Operating System and Browser. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am 

https://i.imgur.com/zJGBy3s.png Here little layout bug.

https://i.imgur.com/JzNdGaH.png And here the links and buttons are messy. They need to be bigger/easier to click on the phone and more organised. Lots of wasted space on top too. Also a you can see at the bottom of 2nd pic, it's a bit difficult to tell where actual post starts. It's just big nickname some little info and text. No visible division between text and all other post info like author, data etc.

Android 7.0.
Resolution: 1080x2160.
Text size: normal (whatever it means...)
Chrome 64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, there will be a lot of stuff like this, as implementing CSS changes to a structure I can't modify and wasn't designed or marked up for this type of styling is very tricky. A lot of members who have tried writing custom style sheets for the forum in their own browser have ended up beating their head against a brick wall.

However, I can inject some Javascript to smooth over some of the problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 pm 

I understand it's very difficult. Thanks for your work :D