planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2519
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

Well, he won an award (two, actually), which might account for his attendance. The only other F1 alumni to receive an award - Derek Warwick - was, surprise, surprise, also there. Not sure why other drivers should have been there?

edit: another British World Champion was there - Brendon Hartley, 2017 FIA World Endurance Champion. His WEC winning team mates, Earl Bamber and Timo Bernhard, although they're not British so I guess don't qualify.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1829
Zoue wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

Well, he won an award (two, actually), which might account for his attendance. The only other F1 alumni to receive an award - Derek Warwick - was, surprise, surprise, also there. Not sure why other drivers should have been there?

edit: another British World Champion was there - Brendon Hartley, 2017 FIA World Endurance Champion. His WEC winning team mates, Earl Bamber and Timo Bernhard, although they're not British so I guess don't qualify.


Hartley is from New Zealand.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
Herb wrote:
Zoue wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

Well, he won an award (two, actually), which might account for his attendance. The only other F1 alumni to receive an award - Derek Warwick - was, surprise, surprise, also there. Not sure why other drivers should have been there?

edit: another British World Champion was there - Brendon Hartley, 2017 FIA World Endurance Champion. His WEC winning team mates, Earl Bamber and Timo Bernhard, although they're not British so I guess don't qualify.


Hartley is from New Zealand.

Oh, fair enough. He's a member of the BRDC so I figured he might have a British connection. Wonder which other British World Champions shoot999 was referring to, then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 5869
Location: Nebraska, USA
Ennis wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:
Part of the reason I like Hamilton is because he's a bit of a bad donkey non-conformist. Part of the reason I don't like him is he went to fashion show last night instead of the FIA hall of fame induction. I still like him but I feel to be an all time great, you have to be an ambassador for your sport or else it seems like you do it for the money and fame.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/12/05 ... l-of-fame/


And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.


NO, he won't.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1701
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:
Part of the reason I like Hamilton is because he's a bit of a bad donkey non-conformist. Part of the reason I don't like him is he went to fashion show last night instead of the FIA hall of fame induction. I still like him but I feel to be an all time great, you have to be an ambassador for your sport or else it seems like you do it for the money and fame.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/12/05 ... l-of-fame/


And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.

Don't see that, really. How will that raise F1's profile?


Lewis Hamilton is currently the only superstar F1 has with a significant reach outside of motorsport. Like it or not, and I don't, but people tune in to celebrity. His celebrity will get people interested in, and talking about, F1 when they normally wouldn't be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5371
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:
Part of the reason I like Hamilton is because he's a bit of a bad donkey non-conformist. Part of the reason I don't like him is he went to fashion show last night instead of the FIA hall of fame induction. I still like him but I feel to be an all time great, you have to be an ambassador for your sport or else it seems like you do it for the money and fame.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/12/05 ... l-of-fame/


And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.

Don't see that, really. How will that raise F1's profile?


Lewis Hamilton is currently the only superstar F1 has with a significant reach outside of motorsport. Like it or not, and I don't, but people tune in to celebrity. His celebrity will get people interested in, and talking about, F1 when they normally wouldn't be.

First and foremost every driver should also pay his/her respects to the sport that made him/her a celebrity in the first place. And F1 doesn't really need any celebrity reach, does it? Just see how many celebs of different backgrounds trot around the pitlane every race weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am
Posts: 310
Hamilton will retire as soon as Mercedes is no longer the best car by a big distance. Ferrari closed the gap a bit, but it would been another spectacular failure if Hamilton didn't win the title this season. Hamilton has always raced F1 in a car capable of winning races unlike Seb and Fernando. He's had it very easy career-wise and will give up the moment he's no longer in a car that is easy to win in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1701
Siao7 wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:
Part of the reason I like Hamilton is because he's a bit of a bad donkey non-conformist. Part of the reason I don't like him is he went to fashion show last night instead of the FIA hall of fame induction. I still like him but I feel to be an all time great, you have to be an ambassador for your sport or else it seems like you do it for the money and fame.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/12/05 ... l-of-fame/


And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.

Don't see that, really. How will that raise F1's profile?


Lewis Hamilton is currently the only superstar F1 has with a significant reach outside of motorsport. Like it or not, and I don't, but people tune in to celebrity. His celebrity will get people interested in, and talking about, F1 when they normally wouldn't be.

First and foremost every driver should also pay his/her respects to the sport that made him/her a celebrity in the first place. And F1 doesn't really need any celebrity reach, does it? Just see how many celebs of different backgrounds trot around the pitlane every race weekend.


It's not about celebrity reach, its about reaching people who follow celebrities. Including making Lewis Hamilton, an F1 driver, a celebrity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:
Part of the reason I like Hamilton is because he's a bit of a bad donkey non-conformist. Part of the reason I don't like him is he went to fashion show last night instead of the FIA hall of fame induction. I still like him but I feel to be an all time great, you have to be an ambassador for your sport or else it seems like you do it for the money and fame.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/12/05 ... l-of-fame/


And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.

Don't see that, really. How will that raise F1's profile?


Lewis Hamilton is currently the only superstar F1 has with a significant reach outside of motorsport. Like it or not, and I don't, but people tune in to celebrity. His celebrity will get people interested in, and talking about, F1 when they normally wouldn't be.

Still not convinced that going to a fashion show will raise the profile of F1 one iota. I only heard about it because I follow F1, but otherwise it would have passed me by completely.

This is not a judgement on him going, but I just don't see how the sport benefits. I don't think every action he undertakes is for the benefit of F1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5371
Ennis wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:

And rather bizarrely, he'll do a lot more for the sport of F1 going to fashion shows than he will an FIA award ceremony.

Don't see that, really. How will that raise F1's profile?


Lewis Hamilton is currently the only superstar F1 has with a significant reach outside of motorsport. Like it or not, and I don't, but people tune in to celebrity. His celebrity will get people interested in, and talking about, F1 when they normally wouldn't be.

First and foremost every driver should also pay his/her respects to the sport that made him/her a celebrity in the first place. And F1 doesn't really need any celebrity reach, does it? Just see how many celebs of different backgrounds trot around the pitlane every race weekend.


It's not about celebrity reach, its about reaching people who follow celebrities. Including making Lewis Hamilton, an F1 driver, a celebrity.


So please answer honestly:

Do you think many people follow the fashion show awards ceremony with vigour? Tune in and watch this show and think "oh, what a nice chap in this red suit, I'll be an F1 fan now"? And that way Hamilton reached to them?

Or do you think that the reigning WDC should have honoured the greats of the sport that has made him famous?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1829
MasterRacer wrote:
Hamilton will retire as soon as Mercedes is no longer the best car by a big distance. Ferrari closed the gap a bit, but it would been another spectacular failure if Hamilton didn't win the title this season. Hamilton has always raced F1 in a car capable of winning races unlike Seb and Fernando. He's had it very easy career-wise and will give up the moment he's no longer in a car that is easy to win in.


Then he would have already retired, the Merc wasn't the best by a big distance. It was overall better, but not by much. Similar to some of Vettel's championship winning cars.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1701
Siao7 wrote:

So please answer honestly:

Do you think many people follow the fashion show awards ceremony with vigour? Tune in and watch this show and think "oh, what a nice chap in this red suit, I'll be an F1 fan now"? And that way Hamilton reached to them?

Or do you think that the reigning WDC should have honoured the greats of the sport that has made him famous?


What about none of the above?

It's not as simple as "oh I'm an F1 fan now" - but yes, over a time his celebrity will bring more people to the sport. In fact, the guy he shared a table with is a fantastic example of this. The amount of fans McGregor pulled in to MMA who previously couldn't name a single person involved...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1701
Zoue wrote:
Still not convinced that going to a fashion show will raise the profile of F1 one iota. I only heard about it because I follow F1, but otherwise it would have passed me by completely.

This is not a judgement on him going, but I just don't see how the sport benefits. I don't think every action he undertakes is for the benefit of F1


I don't know you, but are you in any way interested in celebrity? I'm not, I only know this happened because I'm a fan of F1 & MMA and I seen pictures of the biggest name in each sport at the same table (plus a few Facebook posts having a dig at Rita Ora).

I'm not claiming that Hamilton will capture everyone, but over a period of time his celebrity will get people at least slightly caring who wouldn't otherwise care.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Still not convinced that going to a fashion show will raise the profile of F1 one iota. I only heard about it because I follow F1, but otherwise it would have passed me by completely.

This is not a judgement on him going, but I just don't see how the sport benefits. I don't think every action he undertakes is for the benefit of F1


I don't know you, but are you in any way interested in celebrity? I'm not, I only know this happened because I'm a fan of F1 & MMA and I seen pictures of the biggest name in each sport at the same table (plus a few Facebook posts having a dig at Rita Ora).

I'm not claiming that Hamilton will capture everyone, but over a period of time his celebrity will get people at least slightly caring who wouldn't otherwise care.
I'm not, no. I don't really understand it, tbh.

But if I hear that e.g. Roger Federer was at a Grand Prix, it wouldn't inspire me to watch tennis, in the same way that Mike Tyson attending one years ago didn't have me searching the boxing schedules. So I don't get how a celebrity from any sport turning up at an unrelated event would convert anyone to watching that sport. I think the whole ambassador thing is overblown outside of official events.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1701
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Still not convinced that going to a fashion show will raise the profile of F1 one iota. I only heard about it because I follow F1, but otherwise it would have passed me by completely.

This is not a judgement on him going, but I just don't see how the sport benefits. I don't think every action he undertakes is for the benefit of F1


I don't know you, but are you in any way interested in celebrity? I'm not, I only know this happened because I'm a fan of F1 & MMA and I seen pictures of the biggest name in each sport at the same table (plus a few Facebook posts having a dig at Rita Ora).

I'm not claiming that Hamilton will capture everyone, but over a period of time his celebrity will get people at least slightly caring who wouldn't otherwise care.
I'm not, no. I don't really understand it, tbh.

But if I hear that e.g. Roger Federer was at a Grand Prix, it wouldn't inspire me to watch tennis, in the same way that Mike Tyson attending one years ago didn't have me searching the boxing schedules. So I don't get how a celebrity from any sport turning up at an unrelated event would convert anyone to watching that sport. I think the whole ambassador thing is overblown outside of official events.


And you won't get it, because you're not particularly drawn to celebrity.

Sports do well on the back of big names. Thanks for mentioning Tyson, cause boxing is a prime example of this. With individual events, you see the really stark differences between boxing events dependant on the names involved. Now boxing addicts will tune in for the skill & the talent, but those huge Pay per View events? You need to have 'celebrity' to excel you to those heights.

Hamilton needs to play the celebrity. Turning up to events like this, particularly off-season, is what maintains and adds to his celebrity. All us F1 die-hards will still be here regardless, but there will be people drawn in by his overall celebrity. It is just much more difficult to measure than in boxing as F1 doesn't have the Lewis Hamilton show, and has so many other moving parts which makes it more difficult to measure (varying TV deals, general competitiveness, TV schedules, many other drivers..).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Still not convinced that going to a fashion show will raise the profile of F1 one iota. I only heard about it because I follow F1, but otherwise it would have passed me by completely.

This is not a judgement on him going, but I just don't see how the sport benefits. I don't think every action he undertakes is for the benefit of F1


I don't know you, but are you in any way interested in celebrity? I'm not, I only know this happened because I'm a fan of F1 & MMA and I seen pictures of the biggest name in each sport at the same table (plus a few Facebook posts having a dig at Rita Ora).

I'm not claiming that Hamilton will capture everyone, but over a period of time his celebrity will get people at least slightly caring who wouldn't otherwise care.
I'm not, no. I don't really understand it, tbh.

But if I hear that e.g. Roger Federer was at a Grand Prix, it wouldn't inspire me to watch tennis, in the same way that Mike Tyson attending one years ago didn't have me searching the boxing schedules. So I don't get how a celebrity from any sport turning up at an unrelated event would convert anyone to watching that sport. I think the whole ambassador thing is overblown outside of official events.


And you won't get it, because you're not particularly drawn to celebrity.

Sports do well on the back of big names. Thanks for mentioning Tyson, cause boxing is a prime example of this. With individual events, you see the really stark differences between boxing events dependant on the names involved. Now boxing addicts will tune in for the skill & the talent, but those huge Pay per View events? You need to have 'celebrity' to excel you to those heights.

Hamilton needs to play the celebrity. Turning up to events like this, particularly off-season, is what maintains and adds to his celebrity. All us F1 die-hards will still be here regardless, but there will be people drawn in by his overall celebrity. It is just much more difficult to measure than in boxing as F1 doesn't have the Lewis Hamilton show, and has so many other moving parts which makes it more difficult to measure (varying TV deals, general competitiveness, TV schedules, many other drivers..).

I get people are into celebrity, but I don't agree that seeing a celebrity at any given event will motivate people to either take up or otherwise follow the sport in question. For many of these people it's enough that the individual is a celebrity and what (s)he actually does is largely irrelevant. I think the correlation between seeing a celebrity and following their sport is more imagined than real


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
MasterRacer wrote:
Hamilton will retire as soon as Mercedes is no longer the best car by a big distance. Ferrari closed the gap a bit, but it would been another spectacular failure if Hamilton didn't win the title this season. Hamilton has always raced F1 in a car capable of winning races unlike Seb and Fernando. He's had it very easy career-wise and will give up the moment he's no longer in a car that is easy to win in.


Always good to back up opinions with facts;

Race winning cars in full seasons-

Vettel - 9/10 seasons - 90%
Hamilton - 11/11 seasons - 100%
Alonso - 10/17 seasons - 59%

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 1:00 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Paris
lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Hamilton will retire as soon as Mercedes is no longer the best car by a big distance. Ferrari closed the gap a bit, but it would been another spectacular failure if Hamilton didn't win the title this season. Hamilton has always raced F1 in a car capable of winning races unlike Seb and Fernando. He's had it very easy career-wise and will give up the moment he's no longer in a car that is easy to win in.


Always good to back up opinions with facts;

Race winning cars in full seasons-

Vettel - 9/10 seasons - 90%
Hamilton - 11/11 seasons - 100%
Alonso - 10/17 seasons - 59%


Backing up opinions with fact is always good, but yours lacks depth. In fact, Vettel's 2008 season at Toro Rosso (1 win) has the same weight than his 2013 season (13 wins), yet there is a huge difference between both cars.

_________________
« Violent delights have violent ends »


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5371
Ennis wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

So please answer honestly:

Do you think many people follow the fashion show awards ceremony with vigour? Tune in and watch this show and think "oh, what a nice chap in this red suit, I'll be an F1 fan now"? And that way Hamilton reached to them?

Or do you think that the reigning WDC should have honoured the greats of the sport that has made him famous?


What about none of the above?

It's not as simple as "oh I'm an F1 fan now" - but yes, over a time his celebrity will bring more people to the sport. In fact, the guy he shared a table with is a fantastic example of this. The amount of fans McGregor pulled in to MMA who previously couldn't name a single person involved...

I was a bit sarcastic, granted. But you seem to misunderstand one thing.

I am not upset with Hamilton for attending a fashion show that would attract fans. I applaud this, kudos for spreading the word, even in a silly (in my opinion) gala like that.

I am not even upset with someone missing it. Hell, Lauda, Fitipaldi, Piquet, Hakkinen all of them (10 WDC's combined) gave it a miss as well.

It's about Hamilton being the first ambassador of the sport as the reigning WDC. When he chooses to go see some models instead of paying homage to his trade, I find it a tad disrespectful. You may not think so and I respect that.

And McGregor's example is different as he didn't snob an MMA celebration to attend the fashion show, so I don't think it is comparable


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2519
Siao7 wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

So please answer honestly:

Do you think many people follow the fashion show awards ceremony with vigour? Tune in and watch this show and think "oh, what a nice chap in this red suit, I'll be an F1 fan now"? And that way Hamilton reached to them?

Or do you think that the reigning WDC should have honoured the greats of the sport that has made him famous?


What about none of the above?

It's not as simple as "oh I'm an F1 fan now" - but yes, over a time his celebrity will bring more people to the sport. In fact, the guy he shared a table with is a fantastic example of this. The amount of fans McGregor pulled in to MMA who previously couldn't name a single person involved...

I was a bit sarcastic, granted. But you seem to misunderstand one thing.

I am not upset with Hamilton for attending a fashion show that would attract fans. I applaud this, kudos for spreading the word, even in a silly (in my opinion) gala like that.

I am not even upset with someone missing it. Hell, Lauda, Fitipaldi, Piquet, Hakkinen all of them (10 WDC's combined) gave it a miss as well.

It's about Hamilton being the first ambassador of the sport as the reigning WDC. When he chooses to go see some models instead of paying homage to his trade, I find it a tad disrespectful. You may not think so and I respect that.

And McGregor's example is different as he didn't snob an MMA celebration to attend the fashion show, so I don't think it is comparable


The reigning WDC champion is Rosberg isnt it?

Although you reference the fashion show he also attended the BRDC Awards in London that day. Are you saying he should have skipped the BRDC to attend the FIA?





Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
Fantaribo wrote:
lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Hamilton will retire as soon as Mercedes is no longer the best car by a big distance. Ferrari closed the gap a bit, but it would been another spectacular failure if Hamilton didn't win the title this season. Hamilton has always raced F1 in a car capable of winning races unlike Seb and Fernando. He's had it very easy career-wise and will give up the moment he's no longer in a car that is easy to win in.


Always good to back up opinions with facts;

Race winning cars in full seasons-

Vettel - 9/10 seasons - 90%
Hamilton - 11/11 seasons - 100%
Alonso - 10/17 seasons - 59%


Backing up opinions with fact is always good, but yours lacks depth. In fact, Vettel's 2008 season at Toro Rosso (1 win) has the same weight than his 2013 season (13 wins), yet there is a huge difference between both cars.


Indeed.

But if the distinction is "race winning car" that is what you end up with. The same for Hamilton with his 2 wins in the 2009 Mclaren and the 17 wins the 2016 Mercedes managed.

The most "inflated" figure in that list is Alonso by far, who's cars won a single race in 2003,2004 and 2011 and just 2 races in 2013,2012 and 2008.

If you change it to at least 3 wins -
Vettel - 6/10
Hamilton - 10/11
Alonso - 4/17

If you change it to more than 6 wins-
Vettel - 4/10
Hamilton - 7/11
Alonso - 3/17

Both Hamilton and Vettel have been spoilt for machinery. But until 2014, Hamilton had never had the best car. Alonso's statistics are ridiculous. He has the worst ratio of talent to quality of cars driven in F1 history. So much talent, such poor cars overall.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
^^^

That's not to even mention that the 2009 McLaren counts as a "race winning car" but the 2016 Ferrari does not. The car isn't really what this list is looking at.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12365
Yes, it's a bad comparison. Very few drivers would have won in the 20008 STR for example.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
1 2 3 3 4 4 5 9 10 10 11
0 0 1 3 5 5 5 11 13

This is the best way to display it, I can't remember the name of this type of table and the formatting kills it a bit. But Hamilton is top row. Vettel bottoms. Number of wins in each season. Note in one of Vettel's 0, DR won 3 race hence the difference in data to above.

Edit - formatting completely killed the visual part of it. I also messed it up, Vettel should have one 4 too.

Image

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
Schumacher for comparison -

0 0 0 1 1 1 2 3 5 6 6 7 8 9 9 9 11 13

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
mikeyg123 wrote:
Yes, it's a bad comparison. Very few drivers would have won in the 20008 STR for example.

that's quite some prescience you have there!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5371
shoot999 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

So please answer honestly:

Do you think many people follow the fashion show awards ceremony with vigour? Tune in and watch this show and think "oh, what a nice chap in this red suit, I'll be an F1 fan now"? And that way Hamilton reached to them?

Or do you think that the reigning WDC should have honoured the greats of the sport that has made him famous?


What about none of the above?

It's not as simple as "oh I'm an F1 fan now" - but yes, over a time his celebrity will bring more people to the sport. In fact, the guy he shared a table with is a fantastic example of this. The amount of fans McGregor pulled in to MMA who previously couldn't name a single person involved...

I was a bit sarcastic, granted. But you seem to misunderstand one thing.

I am not upset with Hamilton for attending a fashion show that would attract fans. I applaud this, kudos for spreading the word, even in a silly (in my opinion) gala like that.

I am not even upset with someone missing it. Hell, Lauda, Fitipaldi, Piquet, Hakkinen all of them (10 WDC's combined) gave it a miss as well.

It's about Hamilton being the first ambassador of the sport as the reigning WDC. When he chooses to go see some models instead of paying homage to his trade, I find it a tad disrespectful. You may not think so and I respect that.

And McGregor's example is different as he didn't snob an MMA celebration to attend the fashion show, so I don't think it is comparable


The reigning WDC champion is Rosberg isnt it?

Although you reference the fashion show he also attended the BRDC Awards in London that day. Are you saying he should have skipped the BRDC to attend the FIA?


Is Rosberg still the reigning WDC champion? We have a new WDC now, I'm not sure he has collected his trophy yet though.

I do not think I mentioned anywhere that he had to skip the BRDC, did I? It depends I suppose what he thinks is most appropriate to attend, I'm glad that he went to the BRDC to put some smiles to the newbies faces. Unfortunate that it was the same day with the FIA gala, but it is what it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
How does someone retiring make it an opportunity to mock him??? I just don't get this.

You don't think that the post I was referring to was mocking Hamilton, and how exactly did it relate to him retiring?

No, it was most certainly not mocking Hamilton, rather made towards his diehard fans that have to defend him at all times. It's clear to see and I think you missed the whole point

Nobody was looking to defend him at that point, to me that seemed to be the problem in the first place and then the thread needed spicing up.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
Fantaribo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Like Hamilton is seriously looking at racing in FE?

If I was shown that clip I wouldn't know what year it was either, who watches FE anyway?


Don't make a fool of yourself, people do watch Formula E. The HK E-Prix was far more entertaining than the Abu Dhabi GP by the way.

Comparable viewing figures?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Cue certain people being offended that you're discussing the possibility of Hamilton retiring early...

No it looks more like an opportunity to mock Hamilton.

I think you've just proven the point being made?

What point would that be?

It's in the line above you. You're clearly taking objection to the topic. There is no need to go into defence mode whenever Hamilton is discussed

I wasn't referring to the topic but the FE reference.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Cue certain people being offended that you're discussing the possibility of Hamilton retiring early...

No it looks more like an opportunity to mock Hamilton.


I think it's funny tbf.

Like Hamilton is seriously looking at racing in FE?

If I was shown that clip I wouldn't know what year it was either, who watches FE anyway?


It's still funny. And FE is good fun to watch.

As a pastime now and again when I can remember it's on, light hearted entertainment.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
Lotus49 wrote:
I can't see him retiring until he's either in a bad car for a season or two or is completely out of Vettel's reach stats wise. I think he could be in the game for longer than people think.

Certainly think he's got another couple of contracts first and won't retire before 36/7 whatever cars he's got. He's a sharp cookie and be knows he'll be a long time retired and I think he's more interested in breaking records and leading stats than he let on previously.

He's hinted a little at it in recent times and the Merc boss made a comment about stats or records and Lewis's interest in it I believe (I'm paraphrasing heavily, I can't recall the exact wording sorry) so I think he'll be around for a good while yet thankfully.

2-3 years time we could have a grid with Lewis,Seb,Max,Dan,Alo,Leclerc,Ocon,Sainz,Vandoorne and Norris all in pretty competitive shape. Ideally at the 5 biggest budget teams but maybe that's a step too far for the wish list but something like this for 2019/20 would do me..

Mercedes-Ham/Oco
Ferrari-Seb/Lec
Red Bull-Max/Dan
Renault-Alo/Sai
McLaren-Van/Nor

I may have strayed a little O/T sorry.

No I think your post is one of the better replies and more on point than some.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

That's one problem for Hamilton he has to be seen to attend everything whereas for some other drivers no one seems to care that much.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 5869
Location: Nebraska, USA
Ah.... poor Lewis, again the victim.
;)

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

That's one problem for Hamilton he has to be seen to attend everything whereas for some other drivers no one seems to care that much.

any evidence for this? How many are the current WDC, for example? Of course he's going to be in the spotlight.

Honestly, this poor Hamilton the endless victim thing is getting really old


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12365
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

That's one problem for Hamilton he has to be seen to attend everything whereas for some other drivers no one seems to care that much.

any evidence for this? How many are the current WDC, for example? Of course he's going to be in the spotlight.

Honestly, this poor Hamilton the endless victim thing is getting really old


Hamilton drawing unfair criticism RE his lifestyle got old about a 8 years ago tbf.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

That's one problem for Hamilton he has to be seen to attend everything whereas for some other drivers no one seems to care that much.

any evidence for this? How many are the current WDC, for example? Of course he's going to be in the spotlight.

Honestly, this poor Hamilton the endless victim thing is getting really old


Hamilton drawing unfair criticism RE his lifestyle got old about a 8 years ago tbf.

He chooses to have a high-profile lifestyle, which inevitably comes with criticism. Drivers who shun the limelight don't get stories written about them. This is a surprise? He doesn't get singled out in that regard. Look how much flak Kimi used to get in his drinking and partying days. Or Button, for that matter. Or Irvine etc etc. Only none of them get portrayed as victims.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20988
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
No it looks more like an opportunity to mock Hamilton.

I think you've just proven the point being made?

What point would that be?

It's in the line above you. You're clearly taking objection to the topic. There is no need to go into defence mode whenever Hamilton is discussed

I wasn't referring to the topic but the FE reference.

there was no reference to FE in the posts you were replying to?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12365
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Nice to see at least one British World Champion attending the BRDC Award ceremony on the 4th. The others must have been busy elsewhere?


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJdXuW4AAVi4a.jpg:large

That's one problem for Hamilton he has to be seen to attend everything whereas for some other drivers no one seems to care that much.

any evidence for this? How many are the current WDC, for example? Of course he's going to be in the spotlight.

Honestly, this poor Hamilton the endless victim thing is getting really old


Hamilton drawing unfair criticism RE his lifestyle got old about a 8 years ago tbf.

He chooses to have a high-profile lifestyle, which inevitably comes with criticism. Drivers who shun the limelight don't get stories written about them. This is a surprise? He doesn't get singled out in that regard. Look how much flak Kimi used to get in his drinking and partying days. Or Button, for that matter. Or Irvine etc etc. Only none of them get portrayed as victims.


Kimi got flak? I think he got plaudits. Imagine the reaction if Hamilton went back to party with his mates on a yacht in Monaco half way through a Grand Prix.

And why should a high profile lifestyle draw criticism anyway?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Lotus49, SteveW and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group