planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 pm 

This isn't aimed at yesterday's race (although it was my inspiration for this thread).

What's the most boring race you can think of? Which one race was particularly notable for being devoid of any overtaking, retirements, accidents or even overtakes in the pit lane?

I'll set the bar with the 2011 Indian GP. A routine lights to flag win for Vettel, with the usual suspects following suit in a relative snoozefest. However this race was made far too exciting due to Kobayashi and Glock colliding on lap 1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 pm 

The 2005 Formula One race at Indianapolis where just six cars started.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:57 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Hmm, no because Barrichello nearly passed Schumi in the pits (I think). :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:14 pm 

ALESI wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Hmm, no because Barrichello nearly passed Schumi in the pits (I think). :lol:

I think Schumi overtook him coming out of the pits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm 

The season-opening Bahrain GP of 2010 sticks out in my mind. Not only was it remarkably uneventful, but there was an incredible amount of hype surrounding the start of the season due to the changes that happened over the winter.

Alonso returning to a championship-contending team after two years in the wilderness.
Schumacher coming out of retirement.
Mercedes re-joining the sport after buying the Brawn team (reigning champions, of course).
Three brand new teams bringing the grid up to 24 cars.
A new points system.
A ban on refuelling to promote on-track overtaking.

It was supposed to mark the start of an exciting new era of F1. What a colossal let-down it was. The new teams were well out of their depth, Mercedes were disappointing, Schumacher was slower than his team mate and the lack of refuelling stops combined with Bridgestone tyres that did not degrade over a race distance and the absence of DRS making overtaking all but impossible meant that the cars just followed each other round for an hour and a half.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm 

2017 Russian GP. With the exception of Bottas locking up and Vettel chasing him during the last laps, absolutely nothing happened, because all drivers were separated by more than 2 seconds for 75% of the race.

Absolutely awful race on awful circuit. Nothing can beat it.

Banana Man wrote:
I'll set the bar with the 2011 Indian GP. A routine lights to flag win for Vettel, with the usual suspects following suit in a relative snoozefest. However this race was made far too exciting due to Kobayashi and Glock colliding on lap 1.

Massa-Hamilton battle, Alonso overcutting Webber for podium, nice fights in the midfield.

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Both Ferraris almost collided, that's how close it was and you didn't know who would finish for the first time (and last) on the podium.

j man wrote:
The season-opening Bahrain GP of 2010 sticks out in my mind. Not only was it remarkably uneventful, but there was an incredible amount of hype surrounding the start of the season due to the changes that happened over the winter.

Vettel losing victory and another 2 positions, Hamilton passing Barrichello, Kubica recovering to 11th with some great moves.

Last edited by Armchair Expert on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Schumacher and Barrichello were side by side on the exit of the pitlane when Schumi made his final stop.

More exciting than anything that happened yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 pm 

The Chinese GP of 2005 always stood out in my mind, not sure how it compares to others that have been since.

It was back when it was impossible to overtake and we had large trains, the only opportunity was to overtake via the pit stops with over cutting in this era. However all pit stops were made under the SC.

Yesterdays is also up there, if DR didn't retire, the whole top 9 would have finished were they qualified. 1 stopper with hardly any tyre deg so no chance to over cut/undercut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:32 pm 

j man wrote:

Alonso returning to a championship-contending team after two years in the wilderness.
Schumacher coming out of retirement.
Mercedes re-joining the sport after buying the Brawn team (reigning champions, of course).
Three brand new teams bringing the grid up to 24 cars.
A new points system.
A ban on refuelling to promote on-track overtaking.

It was supposed to mark the start of an exciting new era of F1. What a colossal let-down it was. The new teams were well out of their depth, Mercedes were disappointing, Schumacher was slower than his team mate and the lack of refuelling stops combined with Bridgestone tyres that did not degrade over a race distance and the absence of DRS making overtaking all but impossible meant that the cars just followed each other round for an hour and a half.

Ditto. The 2010's have been a poor era in F1. 2012 was fantastic, 2010 Good. Outside of that, the overall package has been very predictable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:43 pm 

The Hungarian GPs of my youth. Couldn't tell ya which one, so many were terrible

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm 

Bahrain 2010 did pop into my mind but the leader breaking down and dropping to 4th is just too much excitement.

Europe in 2011 was pretty forgettable. Everyone finished, literally no retirements. The only incident of note was Schumacher breaking his front wing against Petrov's Lotus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Europe in 2011 was pretty forgettable. Everyone finished, literally no retirements. The only incident of note was Schumacher breaking his front wing against Petrov's Lotus.

Alonso passing Webber for 2nd, fantastic move by Button on Rosberg, nice battles in the midfield. It certainly wasn't that boring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am 

I have a difficult time remembering even some of the most legendary races I've witnessed, so...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am 

KingVoid wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Schumacher and Barrichello were side by side on the exit of the pitlane when Schumi made his final stop.

More exciting than anything that happened yesterday.

If only they'd taken each other out...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am 

Russia 2017.

I'm struggling to come up with an attempt at an overtake, never mind a successful one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am 

Russia 2017.
I have been watching F1 since 1992. This is the worst.
All the Russian GPs have been rubbish.

Sundays race there was shockingly poor too. A definate top 5 contender.
Russia and Abu Dhabi need dropped.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 pm 

The 1999 Spanish grand prix. Just one overtaking move on the track (Damon on Barrichello). And that move was uneccessary as Reubens was later dq'd.

Edit: I mean one on track overtake after the start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
The 1999 Spanish grand prix. Just one overtaking move on the track (Damon on Barrichello). And that move was uneccessary as Reubens was later dq'd.

Edit: I mean one on track overtake after the start.

Exciting race doesn't necessarily mean overtaking. I can't remember the specific GP, but what I mean is (for example) the '05 Monza race with Alonso and Schumacher was fascinating, even if the overtake never happened at the end. Granted, not the best example, as the race was full of overtakes and even drama with Button's car, but I hope you take the point, it was the best 12 laps or defensive/offensive driving that we saw for a while, even if it didn't result in a pass.