planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Haas F1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:16 am 

pc27b wrote:
i just read that steiner is saying it was crossed wheel nuts.
watching both pit stops you can see guys on the left side still working on the tire when the light goes green/car comes off the jack and leaves.
both times the guys immediately waved at the box signaling the tire wasn't on. neither time did the left side signal the car was ready to go, but the light went green

On the second one the guy on the left front throws his hands up in frustration. Looks to me that was taken as the hand up, ready to go gesture.

On another note, how has Haas avoided the usual absurd 10 place grid penalty handed out for these things?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
On another note, how has Haas avoided the usual absurd 10 place grid penalty handed out for these things?

The stewards' opinion notes that Haas stopped the car immediately in both cases, so I assume they took that as a mitigating circumstance. I think the grid penalty is more associated with the wheel actually coming off the car on track, which didn't happen here.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

The stewards' opinion notes that Haas stopped the car immediately in both cases, so I assume they took that as a mitigating circumstance. I think the grid penalty is more associated with the wheel actually coming off the car on track, which didn't happen here.

We've seen it given before without a wheel coming off. I'm glad they've stopped doing it anyway. It was always a ridiculous thing to penalise and served no purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

We've seen it given before without a wheel coming off. I'm glad they've stopped doing it anyway. It was always a ridiculous thing to penalise and served no purpose.

I think it should be a penalty if it endangers anyone else. But if all you did was sabotage your own race, no.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:05 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think it should be a penalty if it endangers anyone else. But if all you did was sabotage your own race, no.

I would say going out of the race is penalty enough. There is nothing to gain for not putting a wheel on properly. Who does giving a penalty for that help? What will it achieve?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I would say going out of the race is penalty enough. There is nothing to gain for not putting a wheel on properly. Who does giving a penalty for that help? What will it achieve?

The same thing a penalty always achieves - add an extra deterrent. I agree with you that nobody is going to do it on purpose anyway, but nobody is going to crash on purpose and you can get a penalty for that. The way the rules generally run is that if it affects only you, no penalty, but if it ruins somebody else's race or puts them in danger you do get one.