planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ocon In Jeans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am 

Am I the only one who was horrified at the cut of Ocon's Jeans in Brazil? When he was walking over to the pit wall it appeared as if he had wasted away to nothing from the waist down. I know he is tall for his weight but DANG what happened to you buttocks man!

Post subject: Re: Ocon In Jeans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 pm 

Yeah I noticed that too.

But what I usually think is that they're highly trained physical athletes who endure everything a GP throws at them...so it doesn't matter what size they look like, it must be all muscle.

It's like how you should never underestimate a heavyweight boxer that doesn't look like Anthony Joshua.

Also, I think most of the strength is core and upper body so the legs probably get less treatment in the gym - only pushing pedals innit ;)

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm 

LBET wrote:
Am I the only one who was horrified at the cut of Ocon's Jeans in Brazil? When he was walking over to the pit wall it appeared as if he had wasted away to nothing from the waist down. I know he is tall for his weight but DANG what happened to you buttocks man!

Given his height I wouldn't be surprised if he has to cut weight to be competitive.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm 

As someone who is 6' tall and ranges between 145-155 pounds depending on how soon my next marathon is I can tell you it takes a lot of work to have any kind of backside with that sort of build. In my 30s I was doing weight lifting and martial arts instead of running and even when I was more in the 165-170lbs range and still had no butt even though I worked the dickens out of my legs to develop power.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm 

No doubt his legs look thin but as long as he's as fit as any driver on the grid, it shouldn't hamper him much. However, in overalls, it's not so noticeable.

Source - www.motorsport.com

Source - www.motorsport.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm 

Geeezusssss! LOL

Talk about skinny! I think I'll stop referring to my oldest as my Beanpole! Haha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Geeezusssss! LOL

Talk about skinny! I think I'll stop referring to my oldest as my Beanpole! Haha!

Exactly, from an engineering standpoint were looking at a hi CG with potential structural stability issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

I have now removed and deleted all of the off topic remarks. Any further discussion or referring to them must take place in the feedback thread. The matter is closed for discussion in here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 am 

In terms of overall physique (but emphatically not facial characteristics), Lt. Saru comes to mind.

PS. I suspect I'm a bit too thick to understand what Mod Aqua is getting at, so who knows in which direction this (light-hearted and innocent) post will warp. :-| ;) :-P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 am 

At Ocons height, he must really need to cut weight, and surely must always have been quite slight. He simply wouldnt have a chance in making it through Karts and getting picked up via that if he was giving away any sort of significant weight.

He is 6'2 and walks about weighing not much over 10st - he can't be carrying much fat. It isn't like a boxer boiling down over a few days to make weight, he just weighs that.

I'm 6" shorter, and even getting down to Ocons weight would almost certainly make me quite ill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am 

Sorry but I simply do not understand why peoples clothing, size, weight, hair, jewellery is so subject to comment even ridicule I doubt Ocon's proportions would vary too much but can see why he might need to ensure he doesn't carry excess.

To be honest though, weight should not be an issue in F1, it should be a sport where physical attributes are neutralised. In a machine developing of the order of 900 horse power moving a few extra pounds around the circuit should have no effect on the results in my opinion. It should be a sport where all shapes and sizes can succeed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
To be honest though, weight should not be an issue in F1, it should be a sport where physical attributes are neutralised. In a machine developing of the order of 900 horse power moving a few extra pounds around the circuit should have no effect on the results in my opinion. It should be a sport where all shapes and sizes can succeed.

That can really only be accomplished by upping the minimum weight so as to accomodate for differences in driver weights. And then you get comments like these by Hamilton: http://en.f1i.com/news/285696-hamilton- ... -year.html

"The car is going to be a bus next year, it is going to be so heavy, like a NASCAR. The braking distances get longer, the brakes are always on fire, on the limit," he lamented.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am 

mds wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

That can really only be accomplished by upping the minimum weight so as to accomodate for differences in driver weights. And then you get comments like these by Hamilton: http://en.f1i.com/news/285696-hamilton- ... -year.html

"The car is going to be a bus next year, it is going to be so heavy, like a NASCAR. The braking distances get longer, the brakes are always on fire, on the limit," he lamented.

You could mandate that the driver seat combo has a minimum weight while keeping the car weight the same, may increase overall weight while the engineers sorry weight saving but not increase the minimum allowed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am 

Problem then is the engineers would still prefer a lower centre of gravity so the driver would have to lose weight and the seat would be made heavier accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm 

Remote driving then, weight of the driver becomes irrelevant. Drivers to sit in comfy reclining chairs, cars fitted with cameras on track. The drivers can argue face to face when they run each other of the rack.

No need for the hideous halo...all problems sorted. :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:41 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Remote driving then, weight of the driver becomes irrelevant. Drivers to sit in comfy reclining chairs, cars fitted with cameras on track. The drivers can argue face to face when they run each other of the rack.

No need for the hideous halo...all problems sorted. :smug:

One step removed from sim racing. I prefer to witness the competitor actually occupying space and time in the car.

As far as Ocon, I am very close to his height, but weighed slightly more. And at one time I had an afro, I looked like a dandelion seed. A little self depreciating humor for one who sympathizes with Ocon's predicament.

But I also look at his neck, and it's very stout, indicating he has done his physical training. Yes, he does not have a large pelvic girdle. So what?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHWLtg3XgAEb9Ud.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Sorry but I simply do not understand why peoples clothing, size, weight, hair, jewellery is so subject to comment even ridicule I doubt Ocon's proportions would vary too much but can see why he might need to ensure he doesn't carry excess.

Maybe so, but bigger guys will struggle to ever get to F1. If you are a bigger kid, you will really struggle to do well at karts - especially when you get to the better levels.

When I did karting, it was very hard to compete with people 15-20kg lighter than you, without a big difference in talent or machinery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:14 am 

I am 6.1 like Ocon, at 158. he is 148.

I am sub 100 min half marathon and have better physical condition than 99% of the people I encounter.

So yeah, it may look a bit creepy, but that is what a healthy body looks like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

you have got to be s****g me. So practically all the hours ones put to be always fit and clear minded, should have no relevance what so ever. :lol: