planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

f1guyus wrote:
My conclusion after watching the race replay? The 22 best racing drivers in the world can’t complete a lap of racing from a standing start.

Did Manor make it to the grid?

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

Hamilton himself said that he was at a major advantage having a new engine and not having to mollycoddle it like the guys at the front. See the BBC website if you want to read what he said. So nothing particularly exciting about him getting up to fourth when you think about it... he was a sole point of interest in a dull race, made duller by the lack of a championship to care about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
wire2004 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Grosjean continues to act like an entitled idiot, always the first to moan about other drivers before sticking it in the wall (or in today's case another car).

To be fair. Today was a racing incident
If you really wanted to be picky. Ocon should be given a grid drop for Abu dahbi. Why was ocon still racing when the safety car message came through on the screen ocon and grosjean were not yet at turn 6 when the display was put out on the tv screen.

I don't think it was a racing incident. Grosjean was left 75% of the track and still lost control of the car and slid into Ocon.

Neither do I. I just can't fathom how any of the expert pundits and commentators think it was anything other than Grosjean's fault. Ocon left him plenty of room and it was hardly a surprise lunge around the outside. Ocon was on the outside and slightly ahead for a good few seconds before they reached that corner, Grosjean had plenty of time to back off if he couldn't control his car.

Well grosjean confirmed to will Buxton that he had a slow puncture from the turn 1,2,3 incident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 pm 

wire2004 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
wire2004 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Grosjean continues to act like an entitled idiot, always the first to moan about other drivers before sticking it in the wall (or in today's case another car).

If you really wanted to be picky. Ocon should be given a grid drop for Abu dahbi. Why was ocon still racing when the safety car message came through on the screen ocon and grosjean were not yet at turn 6 when the display was put out on the tv screen.

I don't think it was a racing incident. Grosjean was left 75% of the track and still lost control of the car and slid into Ocon.

Neither do I. I just can't fathom how any of the expert pundits and commentators think it was anything other than Grosjean's fault. Ocon left him plenty of room and it was hardly a surprise lunge around the outside. Ocon was on the outside and slightly ahead for a good few seconds before they reached that corner, Grosjean had plenty of time to back off if he couldn't control his car.

Well grosjean confirmed to will Buxton that he had a slow puncture from the turn 1,2,3 incident

True. Grosjean was having a slow puncture, which is now confirmed, and the way he lost control clearly shows that.
And, as far as I know, SC was announced before they reached that corner, thus meaning Ocon's move on the outside had to be cancelled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

$0.02

Penalty for Grosjean was harsh, so once again the majority of the fans and commentators disagree with the stewards. Stewardship needs to be more transparent, as with other sports. The current system is not working very well.

If Hamilton qualified where Bottas was, odds are Hamilton would have won the race. Therefore, it can't all be about the car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm 

Longnose wrote:
$0.02

Penalty for Grosjean was harsh, so once again the majority of the fans and commentators disagree with the stewards. Stewardship needs to be more transparent, as with other sports. The current system is not working very well.

If Hamilton qualified where Bottas was, odds are Hamilton would have won the race. Therefore, it can't all be about the car.

I think that when a car gets crashed out of the race then the stewards have to look at culpability, Grosjean lost control of his car and crashed out Ocon, I'm happy with the penalty, KMag might have got penalised for crashing out Vandoorne if he had not retired also?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm 

Longnose wrote:
$0.02

Even if Hamilton was on pole i still reckon it would have been a race to the first corner for the win. The Ferrari has been a good starter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

I think that when a car gets crashed out of the race then the stewards have to look at culpability, Grosjean lost control of his car and crashed out Ocon, I'm happy with the penalty, KMag might have got penalised for crashing out Vandoorne if he had not retired also?

So how did Grosjean "cause" the collision, it seemed like he lost control and it was because Ocon was in a risky position on the outside thru the corner that there was a collision?

Race stewards need more transparency because they seem inconsistent. Why for example are the rules different for the first few corners than later in the race?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm 

Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

So how did Grosjean "cause" the collision, it seemed like he lost control and it was because Ocon was in a risky position on the outside thru the corner that there was a collision?

Race stewards need more transparency because they seem inconsistent. Why for example are the rules different for the first few corners than later in the race?

It shouldn't be a risky position. The guy on the inside shouldn't crash into the guy on the outside. TBF I hear Grosjean had a puncture. If so he has my sympathy's. If not it's about as stonewall a penalty as I have seen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
f1guyus wrote:
My conclusion after watching the race replay? The 22 best racing drivers in the world can’t complete a lap of racing from a standing start.

who were 2 of the drivers? I know 20 of them :lol:
Bernd Mayländer is one, I forget who drives the medical car. ;)

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 am 

Fiki wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
f1guyus wrote:

who were 2 of the drivers? I know 20 of them :lol:
Bernd Mayländer is one, I forget who drives the medical car. ;)

Perhaps the 21st and 22nd best are Kvyat and Maldonado?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

It shouldn't be a risky position. The guy on the inside shouldn't crash into the guy on the outside. TBF I hear Grosjean had a puncture. If so he has my sympathy's. If not it's about as stonewall a penalty as I have seen.

Grosjean thinks he may have had a puncture because he got hit on his left rear tyre, when does he ever admit to actually making a mistake in the various spins he has, there is always something wrong with his car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 am 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

Even if Hamilton was on pole i still reckon it would have been a race to the first corner for the win. The Ferrari has been a good starter.

If Hamilton had been up front and Sebastian had beat him to the first corner, Lewis would have still won the race because he would have made the undercut pitstop work. Valtteri was not quite quick enough to make that strategy come out in his favor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
One conclusion I have drawn is that looking at those speed traps, Torro Rosso-Honda will be battling with Sauber next year.

I am predicting they will be dead last. Sauber will get the updated engine so they will be far better imo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 am 

Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

You've just immediately answered your own question.

There is more leniency on the first lap because the cars become so bunched together and in trying to avoid one car, a driver could inadvertently take out another. In other situations there is just nowhere to go and blame can't really be apportioned to one particular driver.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

Grosjean thinks he may have had a puncture because he got hit on his left rear tyre, when does he ever admit to actually making a mistake in the various spins he has, there is always something wrong with his car.
Well, before wishing Grosjean would admit to making a mistake, you yourself might take a look at the highlights video. https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/11/Race_highlights_-_Brazil_2017.html

In fact, I wish I knew whether the stewards saw this, and whether they tried to find out from Haas if they got an indication of reduced tyre pressure. It might not be decisive in itself, but if anything, the stewards might give Grosjean the benefit of the doubt. Cars going three abreast through corners is a bit crowded.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am 

Banana Man wrote:

You've just immediately answered your own question.

He did :D

That's what's so funny. Lewis lost control of his car during Q1. It's no one else's fault but his. Some times you push too hard and you enjoy the rewards.. if you make a mistake and push too much you can lose grip.. that's it.. the back end goes out. You lose control and take some one else out.

Grosjean lost control and took out another car. Not for the first time and not for the last.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am 

kleefton wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
One conclusion I have drawn is that looking at those speed traps, Torro Rosso-Honda will be battling with Sauber next year.

I am predicting they will be dead last. Sauber will get the updated engine so they will be far better imo.

This is what I predict. Honda won't have access to the same facility or staff that McLaren have. They have also spent recent years making that car around that engine.

Still that engine is better now than it was a while ago...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am 

ALESI wrote:
Hamilton himself said that he was at a major advantage having a new engine and not having to mollycoddle it like the guys at the front. See the BBC website if you want to read what he said. So nothing particularly exciting about him getting up to fourth when you think about it... he was a sole point of interest in a dull race, made duller by the lack of a championship to care about.

The Massa/Alonso/Perez battle would have been great TV if they actually showed it

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am 

mcdo wrote:
ALESI wrote:

The Massa/Alonso/Perez battle would have been great TV if they actually showed it

I actaully said as much when we briefly saw it on the last lap. I could have done with seeing more of that, less of Hamilton inevitably overtaking this car or that (Max and Kimi being exceptions).

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 am 

Exediron wrote:
mcdo wrote:
ALESI wrote:

I actaully said as much when we briefly saw it on the last lap. I could have done with seeing more of that, less of Hamilton inevitably overtaking this car or that (Max and Kimi being exceptions).

Even more surprising that the race director didn't focus on the Massa - Alonso - Perez battle despite it being in Brazil. Usually, a home driver gets loads of coverage during the grand prix weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am 

Teddy007 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

This is what I predict. Honda won't have access to the same facility or staff that McLaren have. They have also spent recent years making that car around that engine.

Still that engine is better now than it was a while ago...

If Honda is still serious about their F1 effort, and intent on succeeding, then I see absolutely no reason why they would not invest the same kind of time and resources into it and work together closely with STR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm 

Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

He lost control because he braked late into the corner to defend from Ocon who was half a car length in front of him, lack of talent is no excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

He lost control because he braked late into the corner to defend from Ocon who was half a car length in front of him, lack of talent is no excuse.

I thought he had a slow puncture? Could well be that with an intact car there wouldn't have been a collision.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm 

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well, before wishing Grosjean would admit to making a mistake, you yourself might take a look at the highlights video. https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/11/Race_highlights_-_Brazil_2017.html

In fact, I wish I knew whether the stewards saw this, and whether they tried to find out from Haas if they got an indication of reduced tyre pressure. It might not be decisive in itself, but if anything, the stewards might give Grosjean the benefit of the doubt. Cars going three abreast through corners is a bit crowded.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing there that gives proof to Grosjean having a puncture?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
$0.02

I thought he had a slow puncture? Could well be that with an intact car there wouldn't have been a collision.

Is this merely based on the Will Buxton interview that he may have had a puncture because he got hit from behind, Grosjean wouldn't be a driver that needs an excuse?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm 

My take?

The top cars and drivers are so good it doesn't really matter where they qualify, they will beat all but the top 4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
wire2004 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Not dissimilar to Hamilton's qualy mistake really. I'd agree Grosjean's fault.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing there that gives proof to Grosjean having a puncture?
Did I say proof? In turn I might ask you for proof that he didn't, but braked too late in his accident with Ocon, as you claim. For what it's worth, Martin Brundle in the video speaks of oversteer, not braking late.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Is this merely based on the Will Buxton interview that he may have had a puncture because he got hit from behind, Grosjean wouldn't be a driver that needs an excuse?

No he's also said as much on e.g. Twitter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm 

I always feared any Force India car being near Grosjean's car, especially during the race starts. This race he finally did hit one. As for his excuse of puncture, it's better than apologizing, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm 

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Did I say proof? In turn I might ask you for proof that he didn't, but braked too late in his accident with Ocon, as you claim. For what it's worth, Martin Brundle in the video speaks of oversteer, not braking late.

Oversteer if not caused by braking then too much throttle then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
I always feared any Force India car being near Grosjean's car, especially during the race starts. This race he finally did hit one. As for his excuse of puncture, it's better than apologizing, isn't it?

I don't get why you would say this. Grosjean has been terribly average this season (Austria excluded), but has not been that dangerous. Vettel, Verstappen, Raikkonen and Bottas have been as much involved in first lap crashes as him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Longnose wrote:

I have not heard anything of the sort from his team apart from criticising his penalty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm 

Fantaribo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I don't get why you would say this. Grosjean has been terribly average this season (Austria excluded), but has not been that dangerous. Vettel, Verstappen, Raikkonen and Bottas have been as much involved in first lap crashes as him.

And they are not even starting from the mid-field, where the bunching up is more dangerous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:

So, where do you see proof that Grosjean braked too late? Or proof he did NOT suffer a puncture in the accident?

My reading of your comment is that you were unaware of the incident in turn 1, which made you criticise the driver only. It would be nice if you could give him the benefit of the doubt, now that you know there was indeed the possibility of a puncture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm 

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

So, where do you see proof that Grosjean braked too late? Or proof he did NOT suffer a puncture in the accident?

My reading of your comment is that you were unaware of the incident in turn 1, which made you criticise the driver only. It would be nice if you could give him the benefit of the doubt, now that you know there was indeed the possibility of a puncture.

I was aware of Grosjean spinning into Ocon and putting him out of the race at the time it actually happened, I'm also aware of Grosjean blaming all and sundry apart from himself when he spins, crashes or whatever, I've not heard of any telemetry being put forward by the team that Grosjean had a puncture before the crash.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 pm 

Grosjean crashes pretty much every weekend and has an excuse for it every time. How many "benefits of the doubt does he get"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:37 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I have not heard anything of the sort from his team apart from criticising his penalty.

But you have heard it was caused by him running out of talent I presume? If you don't know for a fact there wasn't a puncture you shouldn't be so eager to crucify him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

But you have heard it was caused by him running out of talent I presume? If you don't know for a fact there wasn't a puncture you shouldn't be so eager to crucify him.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary.