19. Marcus Ericsson 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
20. Pascal Wehrlein 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 193
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

I probably would have finished fourth in that Mercedes.

I would have finished 3rd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

Inappropriate comment removed

Last edited by Mod Blue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post not in line with forum rules.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 pm 

Herb wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Is 4th actually that special for a Mercedes to finish? Considering the fact he started from the pit lane because of his own mistake, he did gain quite a bit by the safety car and other retirements very quickly. But yes, his recovery drive was very good, but not quite sure yet if I could vote him. Still thinking though. For the cars's pace and considering Ricciardo got spun, 4th, is pretty much the lowest position he should have finished. So is it really that unexpected? He also did lock up which possibly cost him a better result. I'm thinking that I will most likely go for Massa, Vettel and Alonso.

This is driver of the day. What happened yesterday is irrelevant when considering your vote.

Certainly the SC was obviously a benefit, but I thought I heard the commentators say he was up to 14th by then already. I think he was in the pack already.

Relating to what the commentates said, I don't think it was quite right. He was up 15th really quickly and all that was only because of Vandoorne, Magnussen and Ocon retiring. And Grosjean loosing time because he touched Ocon. Ricciardo also lost out because Magnusson hit him. So all those places and the safety car certainly saved Hamilton a bit of time at the start.

Just after the first few corners, you could just see Hamilton following the driver in 19th. But the gap looked quite big, though it did soon decrease. My main point is that I did think he had a little luck with the retirements, spins and early safety car going on just ahead of him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:33 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Is 4th actually that special for a Mercedes to finish? Considering the fact he started from the pit lane because of his own mistake, he did gain quite a bit by the safety car and other retirements very quickly. But yes, his recovery drive was very good, but not quite sure yet if I could vote him. Still thinking though. For the cars's pace and considering Ricciardo got spun, 4th, is pretty much the lowest position he should have finished. So is it really that unexpected? He also did lock up which possibly cost him a better result. I'm thinking that I will most likely go for Massa, Vettel and Alonso.

How many seconds did Hamilton finish behind the winner?

Don't you already know? I know he wasn't far off. But he locked up and cost himself a better position. His recovery was very good indeed, but he only had to do it because of a mistake of his own making. I certainly can understand why some will vote Hamilton, but I find it a bit surprising that he got DOTD as soon as the race finished officially. I'd say Alonso, Massa and Vettal all did a better job on the whole, but I guess I should respect other peoples views. Hamilton certainly was still extremely strong and a lot quicker than his team mate in the race.

This is DoTD and has nothing to do with what happened yesterday, I sense a double standard.

But I am talking about what he did today. And the fact there were several cars retiring as well as a safety car no doubt will have helped him get a little closer to Verstappen and Kimi sooner than he did. So I think it was down to this that gave him an opportunity to get Kimi. But he still finished 4th which basically is the lowest he should have finished. But in terms of pace, Yes, I can agree he should have several votes, I just can't understand why he has more than anyone else.

He only finished 5 seconds behind Vettel.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

I'll see your 3rd and raise you to 2nd. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

How many seconds did Hamilton finish behind the winner?

Don't you already know? I know he wasn't far off. But he locked up and cost himself a better position. His recovery was very good indeed, but he only had to do it because of a mistake of his own making. I certainly can understand why some will vote Hamilton, but I find it a bit surprising that he got DOTD as soon as the race finished officially. I'd say Alonso, Massa and Vettal all did a better job on the whole, but I guess I should respect other peoples views. Hamilton certainly was still extremely strong and a lot quicker than his team mate in the race.

This is DoTD and has nothing to do with what happened yesterday, I sense a double standard.

But I am talking about what he did today. And the fact there were several cars retiring as well as a safety car no doubt will have helped him get a little closer to Verstappen and Kimi sooner than he did. So I think it was down to this that gave him an opportunity to get Kimi. But he still finished 4th which basically is the lowest he should have finished. But in terms of pace, Yes, I can agree he should have several votes, I just can't understand why he has more than anyone else.

Fourth may be the lowest that Lewis should have finished but Valtteri would likely not have finished even that high given the same handicap at the start of the race. Most of the drivers on the grid could not have done what Lewis did today even in the Mercedes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 am 

Bottas - saturday
Hamilton - sunday
Vettel - the weekend

Although I would only give Hamilton the Sunday through a lack of candidates and typically I think drives from the back are over rated especially if a SC comes out. Hamiltons race was effectively a start from P14 once the SC went in.

Vettel was good, but he said he pushed all race and he only beat Kimi by 4 seconds. So either Kimi had his best race pace all year or Vettel wasn't that strong in the race - probably a bit of both.

Bottas wasn't that impressive as his pace on the soft was poor and his defence at the start cost him the win, Hamiltons stint on the soft was very strong and the Mercedes suited that tyre all weekend.

Kimi was good and close to Vettel, but then he nearly got beat by Hamilton who started effectively P14 and didn't make any progress during the race.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Vettel ... he did exactly what he had to do and drive a near-immaculate race
Bottas ... he also drive an excellent race. Yes, he got mugged in turn one, but did not surrender any positions after that.
Raikkonen ... for a guy some fans proclaim is well past his due date, was very quick and managed the entire race very well.

Why not Hamilton? His drive through the field was stellar, he definitely earns points for that. But he started with tires of his choice, in a car that (because it was removed from park ferme) tuned to the extreme for race pace, and had what was definitely the most overpowered engine seen this year. It and all parts were brand new, and since there were spares for Abu Dhabi, he could burn it to the ground with maximum power settings the entire race. And the first lap shunts that required the pace car, any fuel savings for all went out the window. The vast majority of his passes were the easy DRS ones, and any others were other drivers not contesting position. And in the end, he did not manage his tires, and had nothing left for the last two laps.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a situation Vettel has been in for the last few races. He got 2 new engines in Malaysia. So given that he didn't race in Japan. That is 2 new engines to do 5 races.

So whilst Hamilton will have an engine advantage for these last 2 races over the field. Vettel has already had it for the last 5 races and will have an advantage over everybody else bar Hamilton in AD too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 am 

lamo wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Vettel ... he did exactly what he had to do and drive a near-immaculate race
Bottas ... he also drive an excellent race. Yes, he got mugged in turn one, but did not surrender any positions after that.
Raikkonen ... for a guy some fans proclaim is well past his due date, was very quick and managed the entire race very well.

Why not Hamilton? His drive through the field was stellar, he definitely earns points for that. But he started with tires of his choice, in a car that (because it was removed from park ferme) tuned to the extreme for race pace, and had what was definitely the most overpowered engine seen this year. It and all parts were brand new, and since there were spares for Abu Dhabi, he could burn it to the ground with maximum power settings the entire race. And the first lap shunts that required the pace car, any fuel savings for all went out the window. The vast majority of his passes were the easy DRS ones, and any others were other drivers not contesting position. And in the end, he did not manage his tires, and had nothing left for the last two laps.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a situation Vettel has been in for the last few races. He got 2 new engines in Malaysia. So given that he didn't race in Japan. That is 2 new engines to do 5 races.

So whilst Hamilton will have an engine advantage for these last 2 races over the field. Vettel has already had it for the last 5 races and will have an advantage over everybody else bar Hamilton in AD too.

Yes, and Vettel won. But for Interlagos, Hamilton had the fastest and best car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 am 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

I would have won. How slow are all of you? 8)

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:26 am 

If Lewis had really the fastest car how come bottas didn't fly away into the lead by 70 seconds? I ask you that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 am 

f1madman wrote:
If Lewis had really the fastest car how come bottas didn't fly away into the lead by 70 seconds? I ask you that.
He wasn't driving Lewis' car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

I would have won. How slow are all of you? 8)
Position zero for me! Go on, then...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 am 

f1madman wrote:

1. Lewis had a fresh engine and a somewhat different setup
2. Bottas is slower than Lewis

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am 

I understand, although disagree with, how people wouldn't have Hamilton as DOTD. But c'mon, with Kimi included?

Vettel did exactly what he had to do. Bottas screwed his start, and didn't ever really trouble Vettel on track. Kimi finished off the pace of his teammate.

So yeah - I understand the people not giving Hamilton too much credit, but how can you then include Kimi who couldn't even get near his teammate or the slower Mercedes and turned out with a guy who started from the pitlane all over his tail at the end? Are we really giving him so much credit just for not being completely embarrassed by his teammate now?

EDIT - to add, I went Hamilton, Vettel & Alonso. Honourable mention to Massa.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 am 

Ennis wrote:
I understand, although disagree with, how people wouldn't have Hamilton as DOTD. But c'mon, with Kimi included?

Vettel did exactly what he had to do. Bottas screwed his start, and didn't ever really trouble Vettel on track. Kimi finished off the pace of his teammate.

So yeah - I understand the people not giving Hamilton too much credit, but how can you then include Kimi who couldn't even get near his teammate or the slower Mercedes and turned out with a guy who started from the pitlane all over his tail at the end? Are we really giving him so much credit just for not being completely embarrassed by his teammate now?

Ignore MasterRacer. He wouldnt have voted for Hamilton even if he had won starting from the back in a Sauber with three wheels.

Quite frankly, Vettel did the job on Sunday (for a change) and Hamilton drove a stonking race from the back to finish only seconds behind the winner. Both very different performances but both worthy of driver of the DAY votes (and I say this as someone who cant stand fingerboy)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 am 

Ennis wrote:

Not that I voted for him, but Kimi didn't do too bad in the end and did a good job fending off Hamilton in a quicker car.

Kimi didn't have a great first stint, but said he had problems with the tyres. But on his second stint he was fairly respectable and never let the leaders get away. I must admit I thought he was a goner when Hamilton caught him but he defended well, against pretty high pressure, so I can see where he might get votes.

Agree that Vettel did what he needed to do. Great start, but after he was never really troubled. I don't think it was a special drive in any way

I voted for Hamilton, not because he finished 4th, as I think his car was well up to the task, even allowing for where he started. But the fact that he managed to catch and pressure Kimi for 3rd was quite impressive in my book

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am 

Ennis wrote:

*Snip

Last edited by Mod Blue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am 

angrypirate wrote:
Ennis wrote:

*snip*

and people will continue to make dumb comments...

Last edited by Mod Blue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inappropriate quote removed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 am 

Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, maybe Massa and Ricciardo

All in all a mostly uninteresting race. Even the charges through the field (Hamilton, Ricciardo) played out in a very predictable way.
That includes the often seen phenomenon that at the end of a stint the charging driver manages to get close to a basically relatively equal strong car but cannot mount a serious challenge anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am 

Zoue wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Ennis wrote:

*snip*

and people will continue to make dumb comments...

The reason why I say this about a certain person, is that in Mexico where Vettel clearly had the fastest car (the only person within .5 sec of him in qualy was Max) and proceeded to make a mistake in the first lap sending him (plus Hamilton) to the back of the field.
The comment made with regards to driver of the day was "Seb was the best"

This race, Hamilton had the best car, was starting from the back due to a mistake on Saturday, all we hear is
"There was nothing surprising or special about Hamilton getting up to fourth place".

Most people on this forum manage to give credit to where its due, even to drivers who they dont like. *snip*

Last edited by Mod Blue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 am 

I've tidied a few comments up in this thread.

Can I please remind everyone that both trolling AND accusations of trolling are against the forum's rules.

There is a report function on every post in this forum, if you suspect someone is breaking the forum rules, rather than quoting them, please report them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

Mod Blue wrote:

Can I please remind everyone that both trolling AND accusations of trolling are against the forum's rules.

There is a report function on every post in this forum, if you suspect someone is breaking the forum rules, rather than quoting them, please report them.

Has your moderating actually worked? I'm seeing strange messages in the moderated posts and some comments are still present. Just letting you know in case something went wrong there. I guess it's a feature I'm not used to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm 

Invade wrote:
Mod Blue wrote:

Has your moderating actually worked? I'm seeing strange messages in the moderated posts and some comments are still present. Just letting you know in case something went wrong there. I guess it's a feature I'm not used to.

Yes thanks - I removed only the selected bits of posts that actually broke rules, and left the rest untouched.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm 

Vettel, Hamilton and Massa.

I do find it somewhat amusing how what Vettel did a few weeks ago was "standard" and "nothing remarkable", while from the same side I now see Hamilton getting hailed for an unbelievable drive. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

mds wrote:

I do find it somewhat amusing how what Vettel did a few weeks ago was "standard" and "nothing remarkable", while from the same side I now see Hamilton getting hailed for an unbelievable drive. ;)

Are we referring to Mexico? I couldn't vote for Vettel then because he damaged his race during the first 3 corners. The drive thereafter was splendid and his overtaking was often breathtaking but ultimately he went from P1 to P4 in the race.

Mod Blue wrote:
Invade wrote:
Mod Blue wrote:

Yes thanks - I removed only the selected bits of posts that actually broke rules, and left the rest untouched.

:thumbup: I appreciate such nuanced moderation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm 

Invade wrote:
mds wrote:

Are we referring to Mexico? I couldn't vote for Vettel then because he damaged his race during the first 3 corners. The drive thereafter was splendid and his overtaking was often breathtaking but ultimately he went from P1 to P4 in the race.

I think he`s most likely referring to Malaysia where Vettel started dead last to finish off 4th, same as Hamilton this last race... but unlike Hamilton, Vettel did not win the DotD for Malaysia.
Personally, I do believe Hamilton's charge yesterday was a bit more impressive than Vettel's Malaysia (partly because it was easier to overtake in Brazil in comparison with Malaysia based on number of overtakes by other drivers too), but not as much as to warrant a complete overturn, or at least, not with the current poll margins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm 

Mod Blue wrote:

Apologies Mods. I got a bit wound up unnecessarily.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 pm 

Ennis wrote:

Here's the thing, in Formula One they have this thing called air and if you get too close to another car, the "air" makes it VERY difficult to pass, yet alone get close enough to attempt one. The finishing order was Vettel, Bottas 2.762 seconds behind Vettel, and Raikkonen 1.838 seconds behind Bottas. The race required 1:31:26.260 to run, and Raikkonen was 4.6 seconds behind the winner. I am not even going to break out the calculator, that was a heck of a lot less than one percent difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 pm 

Migen wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:

I think he`s most likely referring to Malaysia where Vettel started dead last to finish off 4th, same as Hamilton this last race... but unlike Hamilton, Vettel did not win the DotD for Malaysia.

^^ this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Here's the thing, in Formula One they have this thing called air and if you get too close to another car, the "air" makes it VERY difficult to pass, yet alone get close enough to attempt one. The finishing order was Vettel, Bottas 2.762 seconds behind Vettel, and Raikkonen 1.838 seconds behind Bottas. The race required 1:31:26.260 to run, and Raikkonen was 4.6 seconds behind the winner. I am not even going to break out the calculator, that was a heck of a lot less than one percent difference.

Nonetheless, Vettel had enough pace for Bottas and was marginally quicker otherwise Bottas would have been able to get within a reasonable time for a successful undercut attempt and he was unable to do this. He was also unable to apply pressure after the pit stops despite being asked by Mercedes twice (once implicit and once explicit) to get on Vettel. As it was, Bottas was unable to attack Vettel for the entire race. Vettel did what he needed to do and did a fine job but I'd go as far as to say Bottas' inability to put pressure on Vettel was disappointing. Kimi's drive was slightly better, but not so impressive. Bottas was mirroring Vettel's compounds but I don't think that's an excuse for not being able to get within 2 seconds or so, so that an undercut attempt wouldn't be some move of desperation, as Toto put it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Air? Really? I'd never have known that. Thank god nobody told Alonso...

Kimi finished 3rd. Behind his teammate, & behind the weaker of the drivers from their main rivals. The stronger of his rivals turned out on his tail despite a pitlane start. Amongst all of this, Kimi not once really challenged the car in front. Never had to make Bottas check his mirrors, never did Bottas have to make a defensive move, never did anyone even suspect that Kimi is about to have a go at 2nd place here.

I don't even think Kimi performed too badly, but to throw him (& for similar reasons Bottas) in there whilst saying Hamilton doesn't deserve it is a bit too far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 pm 

Ennis wrote:

Kimi finished 3rd. Behind his teammate, & behind the weaker of the drivers from their main rivals. The stronger of his rivals turned out on his tail despite a pitlane start. Amongst all of this, Kimi not once really challenged the car in front. Never had to make Bottas check his mirrors, never did Bottas have to make a defensive move, never did anyone even suspect that Kimi is about to have a go at 2nd place here.

I largely agree with you, but the bit in black makes it sound harder than it was. He effectively had a 14th place start thanks to the SC, and had the advantage of being able to run a stint on fresh supersofts instead of used ones. And on top of that he had a turned up engine.

But of course your point makes sense. I get the distinct feeling Kimi gets DotD votes whenever he runs a decent race.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm 

mds wrote:

Exactly right ! Everyone seems to conveniently forget the safety car after the first lap + his new engine. If he didn't get up to the podium in what is by far the fastest car when the engine mode is turned up, it'd be a joke. Still, all hail King Lewis because, you know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:38 pm 

mds wrote:
Migen wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:

^^ this.

Gotcha. Vettel was much further off the lead which is probably why I was less impressed (I voted Vettel too but Max got my first place vote). But a lot of this is down to Verstappen also who I think had much better race pace on that day than Vettel had in Brazil. Perhaps I underrated Vettel's performance? Who do you think was better on that day out of Max and Seb?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Migen wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:

^^ this.

Gotcha. Vettel was much further off the lead which is probably why I was less impressed (I voted Vettel too but Max got my first place vote). But a lot of this is down to Verstappen also who I think had much better race pace on that day than Vettel had in Brazil. Perhaps I underrated Vettel's performance? Who do you think was better on that day out of Max and Seb?

Vettel didn't have the luxury of a SC bunch up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

mds wrote:

Was not the problem for Vettel being that he crashed into Hamilton?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm 

mds wrote:
Migen wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:

^^ this.

Maybe the difference was how close Hamilton finished to the race winner?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Migen wrote:
Invade wrote:

^^ this.

Vettel didn't have the luxury of a SC bunch up

Which happened on the first lap anyway so made little difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Which happened on the first lap anyway so made little difference.

Eh? It made all the difference. He was already all over the back of the tail by the time the sc was called in. Completely nullified his disadvantage of having to start from the pitlane.