18. Carlos Sainz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
20. Pascal Wehrlein 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 194
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm 

For me,

Vettel, Massa & Gasly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:44 pm 

Alonso, Ricciardo, Hamilton in that order.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 pm 

Ricciardo messed up at the beginning of his race. I'll take Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel.

Stroll for worst driver of the day.. well, slowest - maybe Grosjean was the worst.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 pm 

Hamilton, Vettel and Massa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm 

Vettel, Hamilton & Massa

Honourable mention Alonso

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm 

Hamilton.

Followed closely by Alonso and Massa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 pm 

Vettel, Massa, Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm 

Gasly and Massa.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm 

Hamilton, Raikonnen and Vettel for me.
Thought Hamilton's race craft was very fluid as he went through the field and his pace was amazing.
Vettel to me started behind a car that was faster than him, but he took the lead and won the race. I knew he would find a way and he did, under much harder circumstances than I could predict.
Kimi actually pulled away from Max and was able to fend off Hamilton, so I thought he was very feisty today and put the car where it belongs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 pm 

Is 4th actually that special for a Mercedes to finish? Considering the fact he started from the pit lane because of his own mistake, he did gain quite a bit by the safety car and other retirements very quickly. But yes, his recovery drive was very good, but not quite sure yet if I could vote him. Still thinking though. For the cars's pace and considering Ricciardo got spun, 4th, is pretty much the lowest position he should have finished. So is it really that unexpected? He also did lock up which possibly cost him a better result. I'm thinking that I will most likely go for Massa, Vettel and Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Is 4th actually that special for a Mercedes to finish? Considering the fact he started from the pit lane because of his own mistake, he did gain quite a bit by the safety car and other retirements very quickly. But yes, his recovery drive was very good, but not quite sure yet if I could vote him. Still thinking though. For the cars's pace and considering Ricciardo got spun, 4th, is pretty much the lowest position he should have finished. So is it really that unexpected? He also did lock up which possibly cost him a better result. I'm thinking that I will most likely go for Massa, Vettel and Alonso.

How many seconds did Hamilton finish behind the winner?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Hamilton couldn't have done more than he did. You could also hear how proud he was of his race in the post-race interview. The best he could have done was get a move done very early on Kimi with some extraordinary lap to position himself before the juice in his tyres were gone.

Alonso, Hamilton, Massa got the most out of their race, and Vettel did a great job.

edit:

BTW did Ricc actually lose it at the beginning or was it not his fault? I was under the impression from commentary he lost control himself but apparently he got hit and I missed the replays early.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Don't you already know? I know he wasn't far off. But he locked up and cost himself a better position. His recovery was very good indeed, but he only had to do it because of a mistake of his own making. I certainly can understand why some will vote Hamilton, but I find it a bit surprising that he got DOTD as soon as the race finished officially. I'd say Alonso, Massa and Vettal all did a better job on the whole, but I guess I should respect other peoples views. Hamilton certainly was still extremely strong and a lot quicker than his team mate in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:30 pm 

Invade wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Hamilton couldn't have done more than he did. You could also hear how proud he was of his race in the post-race interview. The best he could have done was get a move done very early on Kimi with some extraordinary lap to position himself before the juice in his tyres were gone.

Alonso, Hamilton, Massa got the most out of their race, and Vettel did a great job.

edit:

BTW did Ricc actually lose it at the beginning or was it not his fault? I was under the impression from commentary he lost control himself but apparently he got hit and I missed the replays early.

At first, Sky didn't think Ricciardo got hit. But then on the replaces it looked like he did and they changed their view on it. I think Ricciardo did go wide on his own, but spun due to contact from near him. I'm not totally sure as I haven't seen enough replays either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm 

Ricciardo deserves a shout if it wasn't his fault given the creativity and execution of his passes. He has to be more fancy with that conservatively applied third best engine on the grid. I still can't really give it to him though... Max showed the sort of pace the Red Bull could have and Ricc wasn't even close to him despite Max taking an extra stop, whereas Lewis was a few seconds off the lead. I think Lewis was the fastest man out there even relatively speaking to the other drivers, accounting for equipment - so that includes Massa + Alonso.

Last edited by Invade on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:33 pm 

Hamilton & Vettel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

This is driver of the day. What happened yesterday is irrelevant when considering your vote.

Certainly the SC was obviously a benefit, but I thought I heard the commentators say he was up to 14th by then already. I think he was in the pack already.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 pm 

VET
RAI
MAS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:54 pm 

I'm really interested to hear how Kimi has 4 votes. Anyone brave enough , please enlighten me as I've missed something I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:54 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I would say that more impressive than the fourth position was the way the gap closed to the leaders. The safety car came early on in the race and even then Hamilton had to pass all that traffic and caught right up to the top 3.

Not necessarily saying it makes him driver of the day (these drives from the back tend to get overrated). But there is certainly more to it than just finishing fourth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
I'm really interested to hear how Kimi has 4 votes. Anyone brave enough , please enlighten me as I've missed something I'm sure.

I didn't vote for him. He did fine, a solid 7.5 out of 10 job really. Nothing special, nothing disastrous.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:04 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Don't you already know? I know he wasn't far off. But he locked up and cost himself a better position. His recovery was very good indeed, but he only had to do it because of a mistake of his own making. I certainly can understand why some will vote Hamilton, but I find it a bit surprising that he got DOTD as soon as the race finished officially. I'd say Alonso, Massa and Vettal all did a better job on the whole, but I guess I should respect other peoples views. Hamilton certainly was still extremely strong and a lot quicker than his team mate in the race.

This is DoTD and has nothing to do with what happened yesterday, I sense a double standard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:

You posted directly below somebody that voted for Kimi.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:

He kept up with the leaders, pulled away from his direct threat Verstappen, defended from a much faster Hamilton.

Sounds like a good drive to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

well you'd have to say that he shouldn't have been able to hound Kimi for a podium, not when he started from the back. I think you may be right that 4th in itself should have been expected, but he still should have been some way down the road

Alonso keeping so close to Massa shows how good that McLaren chassis is, especially since he was a sitting duck on the straight with his power deficit. A pretty impressive drive I feel.

Once Vettel was ahead, it was all over. Bottas was very disappointing, particularly when you see how much pressure Hamilton was able to put on Kimi at the end. I don't think Vettel had a very difficult race today so hard to make him DotD for me.

It's a toss up between Alonso and Hamilton for me. Think I'll go with Hamilton given where he started and ended up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:33 pm 

What's telling about Bottas is that Vettel didn't have it so easy up front in terms of managing his car, so he wasn't operating at any extraordinary pace and yet Bottas couldn't mount even a meek challenge post-pitstops.

So yeah, I'd have to agree that Bottas was very unimpressive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm 

The problem I have with Alonso's drive is that it was his own fault for putting himself in the situation he was in. He let Massa overtake him in the beginning of the race although he was faster. Not sure if he was napping or what, but Massa mugged him and it should't have happened.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 pm 

kleefton wrote:
The problem I have with Alonso's drive is that it was his own fault for putting himself in the situation he was in. He let Massa overtake him in the beginning of the race although he was faster. Not sure if he was napping or what, but Massa mugged him and it should't have happened.

I'm really not sure there was much he could do in that particular situation. The only way he could keep a car that was that much faster in a straight line behind him was to distance them in the middle sector where he and the McLaren were strong. The safety car restart was the one situation where that was impossible. I think it more the case that unless Massa was caught napping it was pretty inevitable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

He kept up with the leaders, pulled away from his direct threat Verstappen, defended from a much faster Hamilton.

Sounds like a good drive to me.

I think he had a decent drive also.
I'm struggling to justify a top 3 drive of the day though.
By the time Hamilton got anywhere near him there was little left in his tyres so not a lot to defend.
Started 3rd, finished 3rd. No drama lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm 

pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

This is DoTD and has nothing to do with what happened yesterday, I sense a double standard.

But I am talking about what he did today. And the fact there were several cars retiring as well as a safety car no doubt will have helped him get a little closer to Verstappen and Kimi sooner than he did. So I think it was down to this that gave him an opportunity to get Kimi. But he still finished 4th which basically is the lowest he should have finished. But in terms of pace, Yes, I can agree he should have several votes, I just can't understand why he has more than anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:09 pm 

Sebastian was perfect. He's the driver of the day.

Hamilton carving through the field in a car that is more than a second quicker than almost everyone else, impressive? No.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 pm 

kleefton wrote:

I think it was the power deficit on the straight, wasn't it? Not too much he could do

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm 

Hamilton by far, started in the ptlane and only finished 4 seconds off the victory while carving up the field on his way there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I agree with you. There was nothing surprising or special about Hamilton getting up to fourth place in that car on this track. But as usual, you have the British press and fans pouring superlatives all over him. He did a good job, nothing more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 pm 

Vettel ... he did exactly what he had to do and drive a near-immaculate race
Bottas ... he also drive an excellent race. Yes, he got mugged in turn one, but did not surrender any positions after that.
Raikkonen ... for a guy some fans proclaim is well past his due date, was very quick and managed the entire race very well.

Why not Hamilton? His drive through the field was stellar, he definitely earns points for that. But he started with tires of his choice, in a car that (because it was removed from park ferme) tuned to the extreme for race pace, and had what was definitely the most overpowered engine seen this year. It and all parts were brand new, and since there were spares for Abu Dhabi, he could burn it to the ground with maximum power settings the entire race. And the first lap shunts that required the pace car, any fuel savings for all went out the window. The vast majority of his passes were the easy DRS ones, and any others were other drivers not contesting position. And in the end, he did not manage his tires, and had nothing left for the last two laps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 pm 

Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso

Bottas, Raikkonen, & Verstappen were only so so.

Vettel only performed up to expectations. No above and beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 pm 

Hamilton was amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 pm 

Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

I probably would have finished fourth in that Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.
He really wasn't.

Only fourth? You undersell yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Hamilton was amazing.

He really wasn't.

Click