Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magnussen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 45
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 pm 

Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Mexico

Cast your vote for the 2017 Mexican Grand Prix!

Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Standings after USA
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Hamilton    |   52   |
2  |  Vettel      |   30   |
3  |  Ricciardo   |   13   |
4  |  Verstappen  |   10   |
5  |  Bottas      |    9   |
6  |  Sainz       |    7   |
7  |  Stroll      |    5   |
8  |  Alonso      |    5   |
9  |  Perez       |    3   |
10 |  Ocon        |    3   |
11 |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
12 |  Vandoorne   |    3   |
13 |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
14 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
15 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
16 |  Grosjean    |    1   |

Verstappen for me I think, don’t normally vote for someone who had an ‘easy’ race up front but hard to pick a standout and he looked on it all weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:59 pm 

Max.
Would have been great to see a race.
Seb had other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm 

Has to be Max, no?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 pm 

Max's pace didn't let anyone else get 'in the race'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 pm 

Lol. How can someone vote Vettel?
He either has no insight to where his competitors are on track, or he still doesn’t know the dimensions of his car. Yes he overtoke those (slower) cars, but he was there through a fault of his own.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 pm 

Knuppel1983 wrote:
He either has no insight to where his competitors are on track, or he still doesn’t know the dimensions of his car. Yes he overtoke those (slower) cars, but he was there through a fault of his own.

Hamilton struggled to get past anyone despite having the best car. Seb made it look easy, but it definitely wasn't. Some of his overtakes were spectacular in the moments of the season category.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 pm 

This thread is already turning out to be hilarious. In past weeks we have had Hamilton get several Grand Chlemens, lead from lights out to flag and various people find every excuse possible to give driver of the weekend to someone else, because Hamilton didn't have to work for his totally dominating weekend.

When it's not Hamilton, who ever has an easy weekend leading the field gets driver of the weekend.

Utterly. Transparent. Hate. For Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:46 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

Hamilton struggled to get past anyone despite having a damaged car. Seb made it look easy, but it definitely wasn't. Some of his overtakes were spectacular in the moments of the season category.

There, I fixed that for you.

Were you asleep during the Alonso pass BTW?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

Hamilton struggled to get past anyone despite having the best car. Seb made it look easy, but it definitely wasn't. Some of his overtakes were spectacular in the moments of the season category.

Yeah he clearly had the best car. That’s why he started from pole.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:27 am 

MasterRacer wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

So that's one of the votes, I wonder who the second was.

You did see the state of Lewis's diffuser after Seb rammed him?

I would agree with one of your points though, his overtake on Lewis on lap 1 was a moment of the season insofar as it put the final nail his WDC battle.

Deliberate move or not we'll never know as there was no chance of a penalty that would have sealed the WDC on lap 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:29 am 

Max Verstappen -- and frankly, he should have more points than he currently does for the season voting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 am 

I think it's closer than many think but I had to vote for Max. I do think we were cheated to a sensational battle between him, Vettel and Hamilton because of Vettel's mistakes.

Hamilton's car was a little damaged and he was in mad scramble mode for a bit too long before he gathered himself to then begin overtaking people. Had he found his bearings immediately after his first pit stop he would have finished higher, possibly duking it out with Vettel again.

In regards to Vettel's mistakes, can anyone imagine what would be said about another driver crashing into 2 guys like that?
He drove superbly after that but considering the pace he had all day, had he chosen to be a little ore patient there, he could have stalked them both to get himself back in front.
He had the speed to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:05 pm 

Very clearly Ocon for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:09 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Knuppel1983 wrote:

That was in part because of the damage that Vettel inflicted on Hamilton's car, I know you are proud of Vettel because you believe he did it on purpose.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 12th

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
This thread is already turning out to be hilarious. In past weeks we have had Hamilton get several Grand Chlemens, lead from lights out to flag and various people find every excuse possible to give driver of the weekend to someone else, because Hamilton didn't have to work for his totally dominating weekend.

When it's not Hamilton, who ever has an easy weekend leading the field gets driver of the weekend.

To be fair the voting for Hamilton has been very fair in this thread, you need to be posting in DoTD.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 12th

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I think it's closer than many think but I had to vote for Max. I do think we were cheated to a sensational battle between him, Vettel and Hamilton because of Vettel's mistakes.

Hamilton's car was a little damaged and he was in mad scramble mode for a bit too long before he gathered himself to then begin overtaking people. Had he found his bearings immediately after his first pit stop he would have finished higher, possibly duking it out with Vettel again.

In regards to Vettel's mistakes, can anyone imagine what would be said about another driver crashing into 2 guys like that?
He drove superbly after that but considering the pace he had all day, had he chosen to be a little ore patient there, he could have stalked them both to get himself back in front.
He had the speed to do so.

I think Vettel looked really bad there to be honest. Hamilton left him plenty of room and Vettel just steamed through the curb and plowed into his tire. It was so good to see the battle between Hamilton and Alonso toward the end of the race as you saw the way it should be done. Both raced hard but both raced fair. Neither pushed the other completely off and Lewis made the pass while keeping two wheels on the track at all times.

With the first lap incident, we saw Vettel push Max completely off the track despite the fact that Max was actually slightly ahead of him. We then saw Vettel just keep his foot down through the third corner despite the fact that Hamilton had clearly passed him and left him plenty of room to make the corner. Really sloppy from Vettel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm 

Ocon for outqualifying a Red Bull and finishing in the best position possible

I get the feeling Max should have had pole. So I dock him a mark for that

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:41 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:

I am not quite sure where to start.

First, the previous DOTW thread for Austin has Hamilton with 51%, I don't get where that "hate" you are talking about comes from. Secondly, a Redbull being fast and consistent all week-end isn't common isn't it ? Now, add the fact that Ricciardo had troubles and lacked pace, Max' daring move at T1, a spotless race afterwards and several lap records along the way and you got some reasons why he is currently leading DOTW.

I can even add the fact that nobody during the race was that impressive (at least, more than Max) : Vettel and Hamilton fought their way up the field but Seb screwed up a bit and Lewis was not that fast all weekend, Ricciardo and the Renaults broke down. Maybe Ocon and Magnussen, but still, no match for Max this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:56 pm 

As much as Verstappen gets too many official Driver of the day awards, he deserved to get it in this race. Vettel's recovery was really good but it was a clear error that made it necessary.

Marcus Ericcson deserves an honourable mention. Bottas quietly did an improved job, although being beaten by that margin is an eye opener.