planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 am 

Is it me or are comments like this likely to mothball a promising career? Surely if even if Max was wrongly penalized, making a statement like this is just going to hamper his career in the long run?

There must be a lot of businessmen in the Liberty Media chair board thinking hmmm maybe we should start finding the next big thing already before this guy blows everything? Let's just put more decisions against him in the future so he quietly fades away.....

Or has Max already reached the Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton/Trump status of whatever he says or does can only make him more famous and immune to punishment?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:45 am 

Yes, those comments were extremely offensive and should have never been uttered. But this comes out of the mouth of a 20 year old who just learned that 3rd had been taken away from him.

How many other drivers say very stupid and offensive crap under those circumstances? I can easily think of both Vettel and Hamilton saying very stupid things at certain points in their careers. Going by this logic the FIA should have started dumping on Hamilton in 2011 after he offended the stewards in Monaco.

Everyone in the sport, from the FIA to the drivers to teams understand that emotions can run high immediately after a race. A lot of fans fail to grasp the reality that these are insanely competitive young men who sometimes go off the boil and get salty when things go wrong.

Thoroughbreds are considered "hot-blooded" horses that are known for their agility, speed, and spirit.

Besides, drama attracts attention, and the net result is a larger viewer base. Just ask the Kardashians. If you do not believe me just look at the forum topics. Most cover drama, and there are few threads on actual racing without the emotional uproars.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 am 

there are some explanations for why Max said it, several of them in fact.. from youth to frustration.

However, I can think of no justifiable reason for him to fail to apologize for it and say that he doesn't really mean it.

He should also apologize, publicly, to the steward he called names. Just as when Vettel let loose, the apology was forthcoming, so too should it come from Max. Not because Seb did it, but because it is what is right. If he can't, then the other reasons go out the window. Yes, he is young, but he is also a multi-millionaire F1 driver on display world wide when he speaks of the sport.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 am 

Blake wrote:
there are some explanations for why Max said it, several of them in fact.. from youth to frustration.

However, I can think of no justifiable reason for him to fail to apologize for it and say that he doesn't really mean it.

He should also apologize, publicly, to the steward he called names. Just as when Vettel let loose, the apology was forthcoming, so too should it come from Max. Not because Seb did it, but because it is what is right. If he can't, then the other reasons go out the window. Yes, he is young, but he is also a multi-millionaire F1 driver on display world wide when he speaks of the sport.

Agreed. His comments at the time weren't particularly mature, but his failure to apologize (including bizarrely insisting that he didn't gain an advantage) is certainly disappointing. Although not surprising; why anyone claims Verstappen is unusually mature for his age is beyond me. He's unusually quick, but that's it.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 am 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:

Agreed. His comments at the time weren't particularly mature, but his failure to apologize (including bizarrely insisting that he didn't gain an advantage) is certainly disappointing. Although not surprising; why anyone claims Verstappen is unusually mature for his age is beyond me. He's unusually quick, but that's it.

I agree. Although expecting a 20 year old to make mature comments after being stripped of a podium isn’t really fair. He’s still a kid and spoke from the heart. I wouldn’t hold him to his comments. I wouldn’t hold any driver to their comments after 90 minutes in the cockpit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 am 

I understand being angry and disappointed and saying things that he probably shouldn't have said in the heat of the moment, but to continue insisting that he's in the right and no advantage was gained days later is a different matter. By now he ought to have had time to think things through and come up with at least some form of apology.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 am 

Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:
his failure to apologize is certainly disappointing.

Remmirath wrote:
By now he ought to have had time to think things through and come up with at least some form of apology.

Well, he has apologized.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BauxaxSgCAF/

Quote:
Further to what I said during the FIA press conference earlier today, I would once again apologise for the language that I used following the US Grand Prix. My comments were made in the heat of the moment, I know that the words I used were inappropriate and they were not directed at any one person. I certainly did not mean to cause any offence and I hope we can move on and enjoy this race weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 am 

Needed an apology, I didn't realise he had done that, so why wasn't this equally reported by the F1 press then?

He really needed to do this as some of his comments in the dutch press were extremely offensive, best to read it here rather than post it I feel.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=228&t=1702468&i=840

Last edited by Option or Prime on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:37 am 

He apologized for the word he used.

And like Blinky said, drama is what they can use in this sport. No fake actions but real passionate drivers who speak from the heart after such a race. Americans love it. You saw that with how they presented the drivers. It actually was fun to see and also really in the style Hamilton likes it :)

Max is no Vettel. No disrespect but he has showed already being more mature on track. After the race, yes some words might come out that he doesn't mean to say like that. This will come with age and Vettel is better after the race when he has more calmed down. During the race sometimes the emotions get the better of him with the comments. This is also something that is pure to him and what could create some drama's. At least he is no robot and far from boring. They both are far from boring when it comes to racing and how they give comments. F1 needs personality more then ever now. Kimi, Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Max...they will bring crowds to the tribunes when drivers like Bottas, Grossjean, Massa etc. do not. Again, no disrespect to these drivers but it is a difference to F1 is you can sell personalities or just drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:51 am 

They should ask Horner and Marko should the fans come next year to Austin and the thing will be settled. Max, who obviously is not mature enough with 20 years old, is their Protege, so they should save the day. But Horner only added more fuel to it.

That saying of Max was so kiddish, as if it comes from a sandy children's playground.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:58 am 

Verstappen33 wrote:
Max is no Vettel. No disrespect but he has showed already being more mature on track.

Just to add a caveat here: I have this idea that we only fully know how a driver acts when he is actually fighting for a title. The transformation from plucky up-and-coming challenger to full-blown title contender can completely alter a driver's behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:44 am 

mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:
By now he ought to have had time to think things through and come up with at least some form of apology.

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:
Further to what I said during the FIA press conference earlier today, I would once again apologise for the language that I used following the US Grand Prix. My comments were made in the heat of the moment, I know that the words I used were inappropriate and they were not directed at any one person. I certainly did not mean to cause any offence and I hope we can move on and enjoy this race weekend.

Hahahahaha, does he mean that the words about always being ONE idiot steward were not directed at any ONE person?

Jesus, he may as well have kept his mouth shut.

He reminds me of Hamilton a lot on that respect. Awesome talent that ran his mouth before he could think clearly. Thankfully Hamilton has worked on this and now he is generally much better. Hopefully Max will get a leaf out of Lewis's book

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 am 

Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

Hahahahaha, does he mean that the words about always being ONE idiot steward were not directed at any ONE person?

He reminds me of Hamilton a lot on that respect. Awesome talent that ran his mouth before he could think clearly. Thankfully Hamilton has worked on this and now he is generally much better. Hopefully Max will get a leaf out of Lewis's book

Come on, he does apologise, no need to slam him for not being in the exact form you would like. No, he may not as well have kept his mouth shut, this is an apology which is obviously better than keeping shut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 am 

mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

Come on, he does apologise, no need to slam him for not being in the exact form you would like. No, he may not as well have kept his mouth shut, this is an apology which is obviously better than keeping shut.

Look, I don't want to be unfair, I'm glad he wrote something and it does take a bit of courage to do so. And I'm not looking for a specific form.

But he should cut the cr*p. When Vettel swore at Whiting, he apologised to him. The fact that Max directed his fury to a specific person and then denies it was so in his apology, leaves a bad taste to me at least, sounds a bit like an empty apology. If you apologise, make it sincere, otherwise it's not worth it; I'd be happier if he didn't do a PR apology and stood his ground since he felt wronged

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:36 am 

Siao7 wrote:

Look, I don't want to be unfair, I'm glad he wrote something and it does take a bit of courage to do so. And I'm not looking for a specific form.

But he should cut the cr*p. When Vettel swore at Whiting, he apologised to him. The fact that Max directed his fury to a specific person and then denies it was so in his apology, leaves a bad taste to me at least, sounds a bit like an empty apology. If you apologise, make it sincere, otherwise it's not worth it; I'd be happier if he didn't do a PR apology and stood his ground since he felt wronged

Well he does still say he feels he was wronged. But he apologises for badly chosen words. That doesn't sound insincere if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Yes, those comments were extremely offensive and should have never been uttered. But this comes out of the mouth of a 20 year old who just learned that 3rd had been taken away from him.

How many other drivers say very stupid and offensive crap under those circumstances? I can easily think of both Vettel and Hamilton saying very stupid things at certain points in their careers. Going by this logic the FIA should have started dumping on Hamilton in 2011 after he offended the stewards in Monaco.

Everyone in the sport, from the FIA to the drivers to teams understand that emotions can run high immediately after a race. A lot of fans fail to grasp the reality that these are insanely competitive young men who sometimes go off the boil and get salty when things go wrong.

Thoroughbreds are considered "hot-blooded" horses that are known for their agility, speed, and spirit.

Besides, drama attracts attention, and the net result is a larger viewer base. Just ask the Kardashians. If you do not believe me just look at the forum topics. Most cover drama, and there are few threads on actual racing without the emotional uproars.

I don't recall Hamilton abusing the stewards by either swearing at them or calling them names, he just made a lame Ali G joke relating to his own race.

It wasn't needed or called for but then again I guess there's probably not many on here that have grown up with racial abuse or with a feeling that your presence isn't wanted?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:05 pm 

Remmirath wrote:
I understand being angry and disappointed and saying things that he probably shouldn't have said in the heat of the moment, but to continue insisting that he's in the right and no advantage was gained days later is a different matter. By now he ought to have had time to think things through and come up with at least some form of apology.

Apparently he's apologised on instagram but he still believes he did no wrong quoting other drivers going off the track but not one driver did what he did, he gives Sainz as an example of cutting the corner against one of the Force India's but apparently Sainz gave the place back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

I would say he's being a bit dishonest saying that the comments were not directed at any one person.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

pendulumeffect wrote:
Is it me or are comments like this likely to mothball a promising career? Surely if even if Max was wrongly penalized, making a statement like this is just going to hamper his career in the long run?

There must be a lot of businessmen in the Liberty Media chair board thinking hmmm maybe we should start finding the next big thing already before this guy blows everything? Let's just put more decisions against him in the future so he quietly fades away.....

Or has Max already reached the Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton/Trump status of whatever he says or does can only make him more famous and immune to punishment?

Hopefully next year MAX won't come. He's a petulant child and I'm happy that he was penalized.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Must take some balls to post an 'apology' on Instagram....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

I would say he's being a bit dishonest saying that the comments were not directed at any one person.

Possibly, but admitting they were may land him in potentially even deeper water with the FIA, so no doubt he's trying to minimise the fallout.

It's my opinion that these apologies are largely PR scripted anyway, and rarely come from the heart. Just a product of the times, I think

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:11 pm 

mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

It's an apology because he was forced to do it, the fact that he lied in part of the apology that was targeting one person shows the need to fend off any sanction against him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:13 pm 

mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Well he does still say he feels he was wronged. But he apologises for badly chosen words. That doesn't sound insincere if you ask me.

The badly chosen words is fair enough, the not targeting one person is just a lie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm 

ALESI wrote:

Indeed like dumping your girlfriend by text.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I don't recall Hamilton abusing the stewards by either swearing at them or calling them names, he just made a lame Ali G joke relating to his own race.

It wasn't needed or called for but then again I guess there's probably not many on here that have grown up with racial abuse or with a feeling that your presence isn't wanted?

I don't recall Hamilton abusing the stewards by either swearing at them or calling them names either. But suggesting that their decisions may have been influenced by racism is definitely VERY offensive. Please stop defending Hamilton. Two wrongs do not make a right, and although I am sure Hamilton has suffered because of racism, playing the Ali G card was nothing but a low blow that can not be justified.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Blake wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Remmirath wrote:

Well, he has apologized.

Quote:

Possibly, but admitting they were may land him in potentially even deeper water with the FIA, so no doubt he's trying to minimise the fallout.

It's my opinion that these apologies are largely PR scripted anyway, and rarely come from the heart. Just a product of the times, I think

Yes I have also implied why he actually did it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm 

Could go either way. TBH, I thought it had already faded to obscurity, but here it is again. If the media choose to make a 'thing' of it, it could damage him. Fortunately for him, he has just signed a new contract, so in 3 years time it will not matter. His team do not need to be concerned about sponsorship either, so I think he dodged the bullet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I don't recall Hamilton abusing the stewards by either swearing at them or calling them names either. But suggesting that their decisions may have been influenced by racism is definitely VERY offensive. Please stop defending Hamilton. Two wrongs do not make a right, and although I am sure Hamilton has suffered because of racism, playing the Ali G card was nothing but a low blow that can not be justified.

He was penalised many times in 2008 without problem, I think there was something wrong with his state of mind in 2011 that made him react like he did and it was partly said as a joke, albeit a very poor joke at that.

What he said however was not said in anger against the officials like we saw with both Vettel and Verstappen were abuse was used and I think there you have a big difference which put puts the sport into disrepute.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:32 pm 

moby wrote:
Could go either way. TBH, I thought it had already faded to obscurity, but here it is again. If the media choose to make a 'thing' of it, it could damage him. Fortunately for him, he has just signed a new contract, so in 3 years time it will not matter. His team do not need to be concerned about sponsorship either, so I think he dodged the bullet.

You thought what he said had already faded into obscurity after a few days?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 pm 

If this was written by a PR person they should be fired.

First off it's a mealy-mouthed apology when you couch it in terms like "I certainly did not mean to cause any offence" or the oft used "I'm sorry if what I did hurt someone." By saying it that way you're not taking any responsibility for your words or actions having an impact on someone else or in this case the organization that you're a part of. Adding "I hope we can move on and enjoy this race weekend." is like saying it's not a big deal just drop it and move on.

Secondly has there been any contrition for wishing ill will on the race and the venue? His words affected more than just one steward.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm 

mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Sorry mds, can't see it, where does he say that he still feels that he was wronged?

He says he wants to apologise once again (did he apologise before?) and he apologises for the language. He then proceeds to lie about the "not directed to one person" part.

As far as insincere apologies go, this is quite bad when you lie about the very thing you apologise for, wouldn't you agree?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:54 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
If this was written by a PR person they should be fired.

First off it's a mealy-mouthed apology when you couch it in terms like "I certainly did not mean to cause any offence" or the oft used "I'm sorry if what I did hurt someone." By saying it that way you're not taking any responsibility for your words or actions having an impact on someone else or in this case the organization that you're a part of. Adding "I hope we can move on and enjoy this race weekend." is like saying it's not a big deal just drop it and move on.

Secondly has there been any contrition for wishing ill will on the race and the venue? His words affected more than just one steward.

Yes, fully agree. It feels like brushing under the carpet that a) he swore at an official and b) he wished ill future for the venue. What message does that relay to the public?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:05 pm 

ALESI wrote:

Well said. He should apologize directly to those he offended.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
ALESI wrote:

How do you know he hasn't?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 pm 

A lot of very sensitive souls on this thread. Verstappen was silly and petulant. Thats about it. People have said far worse. I don't know what it is about people with ultra talent that makes otherd so delight in criticising their every indiscretion. I can see Verstappen is becoming the new Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
A lot of very sensitive souls on this thread. Verstappen was silly and petulant. Thats about it. People have said far worse. I don't know what it is about people with ultra talent that makes otherd so delight in criticising their every indiscretion. I can see Verstappen is becoming the new Hamilton.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

"Sensitive souls"?
There is nothing sensitive about calling someone out when they say or do something stupid, and the same goes for when an apology that's insincere is given.

When you screw up you've got 2 choices. You either embrace it and double down by saying you were right and not apologize, or you give and apology that says "I'm sorry my actions did harm" not "I'm sorry if my actions did harm."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

True that. I feel a lot of people want someone to do something because they feel that person needs to do it.

Max did say he regrets that particular word he chose. He would do it differently if he could do it again.

He doesn't need to do anything because some people want that of him. Like him or not, that is what makes him him.

He will learn more and more when the years go by. There will always be people or so called "fans of the sport" that don't like him but so be it.

The guy is no chicken, will drive against any driver on the grid and nothing will come in his way to stop his succes. That's hiw he works and yes you will not make evedr person happy witu that attitude but it is what defines him and he should stay the way he is and add some useful skills he will learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
A lot of very sensitive souls on this thread. Verstappen was silly and petulant. Thats about it.

Agreed, that's what's been discussed here if you didn't get it.

mikeyg123 wrote:
People have said far worse. I don't know what it is about people with ultra talent that makes otherd so delight in criticising their every indiscretion. I can see Verstappen is becoming the new Hamilton.

Ah, ok. So people can only discuss stuff if they are more serious than what others have done in the past?

Got you.

I didn't see any sensitive souls here and it certainly doesn't matter if Max is an ultra talent or a De Cesaris. Max said some things, then backtracked and lied about it. That's what was pointed out. I don't see any pitchforks and no one asked for blood. We can still chat about what drivers say and do, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:18 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
ALESI wrote:

How do you know he hasn't?

If you publicly castigate someone, the honorable thing to do is to publicly apologize. I dont know if he has done so in private but I would be my money on it that he has not.