planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pascal Wehrlein
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 am 

moby wrote:
Slightly tongue in cheek, but you get the idea, if you had to chose between (da-da-da-dattta daa) Pascal Wehrlein, and (oooooh no) Lance Stroll, who would you take in your team?

Me, I would take Stroll without his backing. That tells you what I think :twisted:

What do you think?

I would take Rosenqvist.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:06 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
moby wrote:
Slightly tongue in cheek, but you get the idea, if you had to chose between (da-da-da-dattta daa) Pascal Wehrlein, and (oooooh no) Lance Stroll, who would you take in your team?

Me, I would take Stroll without his backing. That tells you what I think :twisted:

What do you think?

I would take Rosenqvist.

The guy that mentored Stroll in F3.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:10 am 

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
moby wrote:

What do you think?

I would take Rosenqvist.

You know if you don't have money or rich supporters ... ;)

Rosenqvist is better than both Stroll and Wehrlein. That's the point. And there are others that are.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
moby wrote:

What do you think?

I would take Rosenqvist.

You know if you don't have money or rich supporters ... ;)

Rosenqvist is better than both Stroll and Wehrlein. That's the point. And there are others that are.

I think you missed my point, he basically was employed (paid?), to teach Stroll how to drive so Rosenqvist is the driver with the talent but obviously no money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:55 pm 

I agree.

That's why I wrote if I had the choice and money was not an issue I would neither hire Wehrlein nor Stroll but instead Rosenqvist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I agree.

That's why I wrote if I had the choice and money was not an issue I would neither hire Wehrlein nor Stroll but instead Rosenqvist.

An interesting thing about Wehrlein and Rosenqvist is that they were teammates in 2012 in F3, Wehrlein was a rookie whilst Rosenqvist was in his second season, Wehrlein beat him finishing 2nd in the series whilst Rosenqvist finished 4th, however it was quite close between them, there was only 14 points in it.

It actually took Rosenqvist 5 years to win the F3 title, the year before he got beat by F3 rookies Ocon and Verstappen, he is a good driver and like I say better than Stroll but in F1 terms I'm not sure he's a great lost talent as such?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I agree.

An interesting thing about Wehrlein and Rosenqvist is that they were teammates in 2012 in F3, Wehrlein was a rookie whilst Rosenqvist was in his second season, Wehrlein beat him finishing 2nd in the series whilst Rosenqvist finished 4th, however it was quite close between them, there was only 14 points in it.

It actually took Rosenqvist 5 years to win the F3 title, the year before he got beat by F3 rookies Ocon and Verstappen, he is a good driver and like I say better than Stroll but in F1 terms I'm not sure he's a great lost talent as such?

Rosenqvist was mostly clearly quicker though, but had an incredible strike of bad luck while Wehrlein had all the race luck you can have that season.
And, don't forgive, Rosenqvist one the championship in the first season he was in the team to do so. Mücke was not competitive.

Don't get me wrong, Wehrlein has loads of talent. But Rosenqvist is by far the more complete driver - and Wehrlein is not getting as much better as he should with growing experience (maybe becaude of attitude?).

Still, I chose Rosenqvist as an example. You can certainly find more driver names who would deserve their shot at F1 - but remain without a chance due to no rich father and no manufacturer love. And yes, it has always been like this.

Notwithstanding, as a team boss in an ideal world, I would choose Rosenqvist over Wehrlein and Stroll for 2018 - which was actually my only point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I agree.

Rosenqvist was mostly clearly quicker though, but had an incredible strike of bad luck while Wehrlein had all the race luck you can have that season.
And, don't forgive, Rosenqvist one the championship in the first season he was in the team to do so. Mücke was not competitive.

Don't get me wrong, Wehrlein has loads of talent. But Rosenqvist is by far the more complete driver - and Wehrlein is not getting as much better as he should with growing experience (maybe becaude of attitude?).

Still, I chose Rosenqvist as an example. You can certainly find more driver names who would deserve their shot at F1 - but remain without a chance due to no rich father and no manufacturer love. And yes, it has always been like this.

Notwithstanding, as a team boss in an ideal world, I would choose Rosenqvist over Wehrlein and Stroll for 2018 - which was actually my only point.

You seem to know a lot about Rosenqvist, I must admit I'm only googling results.

What of Japanese Super Formula were it appears that Gasly beat him despite having an inferior car?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 pm 

Well, it is more that I follow F3 Euroseries (and its predecessors) very closely and attended virtually every race.

Cannot say anything about Japanese Super Formula - other than googling results. ;-) I could offer talking Formula E, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

I'm going to go ahead and say that Frijns will still beat all of those guys if he ever gets the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and say that Frijns will still beat all of those guys if he ever gets the chance.

Well, not in Formula E.

But I agree, Frijns is another of these names.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Well, not in Formula E.

FE isn't a spec series so hard to compare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Well, not in Formula E.

I agree. Still it'd be a stretch to say Frijns outperformed Rosenqvist in FE ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Well, not in Formula E.

I agree. Still it'd be a stretch to say Frijns outperformed Rosenqvist in FE ...

Hard to tell. They both have had a pretty similar performance gap to their team mate. Frijns is driving a car that he is never going to outscore Felix in.

Frijns certainly had the better junior career by a long way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am 

Exactly, based on FE impossible to tell. That was my whole point.