planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver of the weekend: US GP
Poll ended at Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 am
Hamilton 51%  51%  [ 27 ]
Bottas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vettel 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Raikkonen 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Ricciardo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Verstappen 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Massa 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stroll 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Perez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ocon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Sainz 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
Gasly 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Palmer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alonso 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 53
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6722
Driver of The Weekend 2017 - USA

Cast your vote for the 2017 US Grand Prix!


Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position



Standings after Japan
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Hamilton    |   47   |
2  |  Vettel      |   30   |
3  |  Ricciardo   |   13   |
4  |  Bottas      |    9   |
5  |  Verstappen  |    9   |
6  |  Stroll      |    5   |
7  |  Alonso      |    5   |
8  |  Sainz       |    4   |
9  |  Perez       |    3   |
10 |  Ocon        |    3   |
11 |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
12 |  Vandoorne   |    3   |
13 |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
14 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
15 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
16 |  Grosjean    |    1   |


Honourable mention to Hamilton who didn’t put a foot wrong but I’m giving this one to Sainz who impressed me massively after changing teams and pulled off probably the overtake of the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12304
Went with Sainz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3563
Harsh on Lewis but I'm going with Sainz for the team switch and being right on it straightaway.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1114
Hamilton. Apart from being jumped at the start, he had a near-immaculate weekend and harvested the maximum result and points.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am
Posts: 10
Quote:
Hamilton. Apart from being jumped at the start, he had a near-immaculate weekend and harvested the maximum result and points.


I love to see Hamilton race and he did very well (again) this weekend, but this was also a clear show of Mercedes power. Ferrari could never challenge the Merc. They could of Bottas, but he truely has issues to figure out ;).

What about Verstappen? On the same strategy as Vettel, gaining and gaining all race long.
A true marvel of a maneuvre at the second-to-last corner (which was illegal), but the sheer balls on that guy... Even though 'it doesnt count', shouldn't actions like that be rewarded by unofficial statistics as 'driver of the weekend'.

The fact that Hamilton won and did nothing wrong... kind of shows by the official classification and results ;).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: UK
I voted for Sainz. A superb performance all weekend in his first race with the team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1522
Vivec wrote:
Quote:
Hamilton. Apart from being jumped at the start, he had a near-immaculate weekend and harvested the maximum result and points.


I love to see Hamilton race and he did very well (again) this weekend, but this was also a clear show of Mercedes power. Ferrari could never challenge the Merc. They could of Bottas, but he truely has issues to figure out ;).

What about Verstappen? On the same strategy as Vettel, gaining and gaining all race long.
A true marvel of a maneuvre at the second-to-last corner (which was illegal), but the sheer balls on that guy... Even though 'it doesnt count', shouldn't actions like that be rewarded by unofficial statistics as 'driver of the weekend'.

The fact that Hamilton won and did nothing wrong... kind of shows by the official classification and results ;).



It's a fine enough choice though. Hamilton was pretty metronomic throughout the entire weekend. He makes it look easy (and a lot of it is him) and it's easy to miss the worth, the value. However, given the circumstances, I could go for Sainz, even if in raw relative performance I doubt he outdid Hamilton over the weekend nor is as good as him.

Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3014
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else. His had both Ferraris - and would have had both Red Bulls had Ricciardo finished - between him and his team mate.

This was probably Hamilton's strongest weekend. Between this and Silverstone. Kudos to Sainz though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20916
Sainz. History has shown time and again how difficult it is to join a team halfway through a season, yet he blitzed it. Impressive performance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
Invade wrote:
Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Why not? Would put him at least level, just like Hamilton he has absolutely maximized whatever there was to pick up, even with a sizeable grid penalty.

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else.


Although he was very good at that this weekend, it's not really true. Ocon made them last 5 laps longer, Sainz just as long, Kimi ran them just one lap less. The soft tyre was very durable and quite a few riders made them work for a long stint.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
I'm still making up my mind between Sainz and Ocon.

Sainz for doing an excellent job in a new car. However, the Renault was a faster car than the FI on the day, which is why I'm doubting to go for Ocon who outperformed Perez on Saturday and really left Perez in the dust in less then a stint on race day.

Hamilton very closely behind them, then Verstappen who, although outqualified, put in the best performance on race day.

Ocon doesn't get even close to what he deserves in this poll to be honest.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 494
It was between Lewis and Sainz Jr for me.
As Hulk had a weekend of issues that were not down to him, and therefore, I had no benchmark to judge Carlos against, I went with Lewis.
He looks at the very top his game at the moment and had a stellar weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5323
Sainz for me. Can't vote for Verstappen, as he was out qualified and he got a perfectly avoidable/st*pid penalty.

Hamilton would be the other option, however he got jumped at the start. Plus, meh, give the little guy some credit!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23749
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Why not? Would put him at least level, just like Hamilton he has absolutely maximized whatever there was to pick up, even with a sizeable grid penalty.

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else.


Although he was very good at that this weekend, it's not really true. Ocon made them last 5 laps longer, Sainz just as long, Kimi ran them just one lap less. The soft tyre was very durable and quite a few riders made them work for a long stint.

I think he might be judging by the level of competitiveness, anyone can make the tyres last to an extent but how slow are you going to do it?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
pokerman wrote:
I think he might be judging by the level of competitiveness, anyone can make the tyres last to an extent but how slow are you going to do it?


I think Kimi, Ocon and Sainz did very well given their respective cars. Especially for Ocon we have the benchmark in his teammate not being able to make them last well enough for the entire stint.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
Siao7 wrote:
Sainz for me. Can't vote for Verstappen, as he was out qualified and he got a perfectly avoidable/st*pid penalty.


While I would agree not putting Verstappen above Sainz for the weekend, the penalty isn't really an argument is it? I mean if he hadn't tried it, he would just have been fourth, same as having tried and getting the penalty.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5323
mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Sainz for me. Can't vote for Verstappen, as he was out qualified and he got a perfectly avoidable/st*pid penalty.


While I would agree not putting Verstappen above Sainz for the weekend, the penalty isn't really an argument is it? I mean if he hadn't tried it, he would just have been fourth, same as having tried and getting the penalty.


It's not that he got a penalty, it's that he got a st*pid penalty. An avoidable penalty. It was a mistake, overtaking outside the track, so making a mistake is not really something that makes you shine.

I didn't mean that he should have stayed 4th, but given that Kimi was in severe fuel saving mode, a sitting duck really, he could have tried this overtake somewhere else really.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
Siao7 wrote:
I didn't mean that he should have stayed 4th, but given that Kimi was in severe fuel saving mode, a sitting duck really, he could have tried this overtake somewhere else really.


They were at the end of the lap, Kimi had been protected by getting DRS off Vettel just before that, and it was the last real shot (half a shot, really) he still had. If it wasn't going to happen there, it wasn't going to happen at all.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5323
mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
I didn't mean that he should have stayed 4th, but given that Kimi was in severe fuel saving mode, a sitting duck really, he could have tried this overtake somewhere else really.


They were at the end of the lap, Kimi had been protected by getting DRS off Vettel just before that, and it was the last real shot (half a shot, really) he still had. If it wasn't going to happen there, it wasn't going to happen at all.


Silly me, I forgot it was last lap!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23749
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I think he might be judging by the level of competitiveness, anyone can make the tyres last to an extent but how slow are you going to do it?


I think Kimi, Ocon and Sainz did very well given their respective cars. Especially for Ocon we have the benchmark in his teammate not being able to make them last well enough for the entire stint.

Kimi got caught by 2 stopping cars, Ocon and Sainz didn't have to deal with a competitive 2 stopping car, Hamilton 1 stopped and never looked to be in danger.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9685
Location: Ireland
I'm giving this one to Carlos Sainz. What an absolutely brilliant weekend. Sure, we couldn't get an accurate comparison with his teammate but that doesn't invalidate what a perfect start to his Renault career that was

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I think he might be judging by the level of competitiveness, anyone can make the tyres last to an extent but how slow are you going to do it?


I think Kimi, Ocon and Sainz did very well given their respective cars. Especially for Ocon we have the benchmark in his teammate not being able to make them last well enough for the entire stint.

Kimi got caught by 2 stopping cars, Ocon and Sainz didn't have to deal with a competitive 2 stopping car, Hamilton 1 stopped and never looked to be in danger.


Hamilton didn't have to contend with a competitive 2-stopping car either.

Either way that was not the point, point was making the tyres last, and several drivers did very well on that front even when having to race and battle at the same time while Hamilton could determine his own rhythm and didn't have a lot of dirty air to contend with on that last stint.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
I didn't mean that he should have stayed 4th, but given that Kimi was in severe fuel saving mode, a sitting duck really, he could have tried this overtake somewhere else really.


They were at the end of the lap, Kimi had been protected by getting DRS off Vettel just before that, and it was the last real shot (half a shot, really) he still had. If it wasn't going to happen there, it wasn't going to happen at all.


Silly me, I forgot it was last lap!


:thumbup:

I still agree with your overall conclusion between the both of them though :)

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23749
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I think he might be judging by the level of competitiveness, anyone can make the tyres last to an extent but how slow are you going to do it?


I think Kimi, Ocon and Sainz did very well given their respective cars. Especially for Ocon we have the benchmark in his teammate not being able to make them last well enough for the entire stint.

Kimi got caught by 2 stopping cars, Ocon and Sainz didn't have to deal with a competitive 2 stopping car, Hamilton 1 stopped and never looked to be in danger.


Hamilton didn't have to contend with a competitive 2-stopping car either.

Either way that was not the point, point was making the tyres last, and several drivers did very well on that front even when having to race and battle at the same time while Hamilton could determine his own rhythm and didn't have a lot of dirty air to contend with on that last stint.

If you are not comparing with a 2 stopping car then I don't know how you make that determination, Hamilton was 7 seconds in front of Vettel before Vettel stopped and then was 14 seconds in front of Vettel before Hamilton slowed down for the last 4 laps.

Vettel was not a competitive car or Verstappen?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
pokerman wrote:
If you are not comparing with a 2 stopping car then I don't know how you make that determination, Hamilton was 7 seconds in front of Vettel before Vettel stopped and then was 14 seconds in front of Vettel before Hamilton slowed down for the last 4 laps.

Vettel was not a competitive car or Verstappen?


Neither of them were competitive. Verstappen started from the back, Vettel never had pace to trouble Hamilton. I'd say after first having been hindered by Massa, Ocon was much more troubled by Sainz than Hamilton was by either Vettel or Verstappen. Hamilton could always control at the front.

Just take a look at his last 8 laps: he basically coasted home. Either that, or his tyres were completely gone and your statement of making his tyres last longer than anyone else isn't true.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23749
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
If you are not comparing with a 2 stopping car then I don't know how you make that determination, Hamilton was 7 seconds in front of Vettel before Vettel stopped and then was 14 seconds in front of Vettel before Hamilton slowed down for the last 4 laps.

Vettel was not a competitive car or Verstappen?


Neither of them were competitive. Verstappen started from the back, Vettel never had pace to trouble Hamilton. I'd say after first having been hindered by Massa, Ocon was much more troubled by Sainz than Hamilton was by either Vettel or Verstappen. Hamilton could always control at the front.

Just take a look at his last 8 laps: he basically coasted home. Either that, or his tyres were completely gone and your statement of making his tyres last longer than anyone else isn't true.

Verstappen wasn't right at the back when he made his final pit stop and was less than 2 seconds behind Vettel, Vettel had the pace to keep Verstappen out of DRS range, can we say that Verstappen was not competitive?

Hamilton's laps were consistent until he backed off for the final 4 laps, he made the one stop look like an easy strategy for him, with Ocon and Sainz you are basically just comparing their pace with Perez.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
pokerman wrote:
Verstappen wasn't right at the back when he made his final pit stop and was less than 2 seconds behind Vettel, Vettel had the pace to keep Verstappen out of DRS range, can we say that Verstappen was not competitive?


He would have been competitive if he hadn't started from the back. As it was, Hamilton was never troubled by Verstappen.

Quote:
Hamilton's laps were consistent until he backed off for the final 4 laps, he made the one stop look like an easy strategy for him, with Ocon and Sainz you are basically just comparing their pace with Perez.


You were the one stating nobody made his tyres last like Hamilton did. Facts are there were a couple of drivers who managed equal (or longer) length stints while at the same time battling each other to the end as well.

Hamilton did a 1:38.776 on lap 48 and over the next (and last) 8 laps he averaged 1.3s slower than that lap, over 10 seconds in total. He coasted home, so no he was never ever troubled by whatever the twostoppers behind him were doing. If he were, he would have maintained a higher rhythm.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8863
So now even the fact Hamilton wasn't the one who drove the longest stint is a slight on him and should be erased from history or at least belittled.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1522
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Why not? Would put him at least level, just like Hamilton he has absolutely maximized whatever there was to pick up, even with a sizeable grid penalty.

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else.


Although he was very good at that this weekend, it's not really true. Ocon made them last 5 laps longer, Sainz just as long, Kimi ran them just one lap less. The soft tyre was very durable and quite a few riders made them work for a long stint.



Because Saturday. Max has been impressive in qualifying this year but he's still lost out over the last two weekends. Lewis is looking almost faultless and metronomic throughout entire weekends regularly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Why not? Would put him at least level, just like Hamilton he has absolutely maximized whatever there was to pick up, even with a sizeable grid penalty.

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else.


Although he was very good at that this weekend, it's not really true. Ocon made them last 5 laps longer, Sainz just as long, Kimi ran them just one lap less. The soft tyre was very durable and quite a few riders made them work for a long stint.



Because Saturday. Max has been impressive in qualifying this year but he's still lost out over the last two weekends. Lewis is looking almost faultless and metronomic throughout entire weekends regularly.


Point taken, although Saturday's result is moot if it is erased after T1. If you're going to zoom in on everything then losing places on the line should count as well. ;)

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1522
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
Max is the one guy who is somewhere in the ballpark of Lewis' form over the last several races.... but still not there.


Why not? Would put him at least level, just like Hamilton he has absolutely maximized whatever there was to pick up, even with a sizeable grid penalty.

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Hamilton.

Topped every session. Pole. Win. Two clinical overtakes for the lead.

Was able to make his tyres last longer than anyone else.


Although he was very good at that this weekend, it's not really true. Ocon made them last 5 laps longer, Sainz just as long, Kimi ran them just one lap less. The soft tyre was very durable and quite a few riders made them work for a long stint.



Because Saturday. Max has been impressive in qualifying this year but he's still lost out over the last two weekends. Lewis is looking almost faultless and metronomic throughout entire weekends regularly.


Point taken, although Saturday's result is moot if it is erased after T1. If you're going to zoom in on everything then losing places on the line should count as well. ;)



Yeah that's why I say almost faultless. Not that Lewis got a bad start but starts aren't one of his strong points or an area where he regularly makes ground even when given the chance when qualifying lower on the grid. On the contrary for Max, he might be the best off the line this season. I'd say Max is officially entering his prime. He can get better yet but he's good and well-rounded enough right now for me to think he's becoming a pretty complete package who delivers consistently - though I'd like to see this continue on for the rest of the year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 2161
Location: England
Ive gone Sainz, Hamilton had pretty much the perfect weekend barring the start, but to jump straight into another team and put in the level of performance he did, plus a stonking (albeit with the help of running a bit off track) overtake, it was something very special. If he keeps that up, RB will be waving Ricciardo out the door with a smile.

_________________
http://tsatr.mooo.com
The Sun and The Rain - The reluctant runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group