planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 am 

I mean cmon, it's his first race. It's like playing Monopoly the first time with your younger brother and giving him less money and rubbish property deals at the start. Completely unsporting and brainless attitude from the FIA.

Make debutants exempt from penalties regardless of the engine swaps etc. Being a newcomer ought to be enough of a disadvantage.

Of course teams, could then simply stick a brand new unexperienced driver in every race but theu would probably get even less points and crash loads of cars.

Can somebody throw a book on common sense at the FIA??? Give the guy a chance to shine. I just hope he gets a few good overtakes in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 am 

This is the finest example of the penalty rule by the FIA - An ironic joke!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:12 am 

Half the world want equal rules for everyone, the other half want 'exceptions'... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 am 

That sucks big time. Something is fundamentally wrong with FIA rules already for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am 

(pat on the back) 'well done lad. good qualifying. now *inaudible* off to the back of the grid, welcome to F1'

(BH) "I don't know why I bothered"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 pm 

pendulumeffect wrote:
I mean cmon, it's his first race. It's like playing Monopoly the first time with your younger brother and giving him less money and rubbish property deals at the start. Completely unsporting and brainless attitude from the FIA.

Make debutants exempt from penalties regardless of the engine swaps etc. Being a newcomer ought to be enough of a disadvantage.

Of course teams, could then simply stick a brand new unexperienced driver in every race but theu would probably get even less points and crash loads of cars.

Can somebody throw a book on common sense at the FIA??? Give the guy a chance to shine. I just hope he gets a few good overtakes in.

Except I believe teams can only run four drivers in a season....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 pm 

ALESI wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

Do they have any reasons behind that rule? I have seen no damage when 7-8 drivers drove for the same team a race or two in 70's and more than 4 in 80's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
ALESI wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

Do they have any reasons behind that rule? I have seen no damage when 7-8 drivers drove for the same team a race or two in 70's and more than 4 in 80's.

F1 wants to be too exclusive for it's own good.

And they don't want 'some local' like a Mario Andretti to get a one off drive and qualify on the pole like happened back in the early 70's. Heaven forbid that the 'greatest drivers in the world' get shown up by a local driver getting a one off ride at his home GP.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:53 am 

mmi16 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
ALESI wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

F1 wants to be too exclusive for it's own good.

And they don't want 'some local' like a Mario Andretti to get a one off drive and qualify on the pole like happened back in the early 70's. Heaven forbid that the 'greatest drivers in the world' get shown up by a local driver getting a one off ride at his home GP.

Been thinking about this. What comes to mind is first off the 4 engine rule. could be based on that?
Other than that, the drivers numbers? there are only 99 double digit numbers available (inc 1-9)

I know the rule was in place before either of the above, just wondering why it still is. There was a time when a team could take a local driver for cash at his home race, and some of them were 'poor'. perhaps it is based on that, although I would like to see 'guest drivers' as long as the standard is high enough. Saints jnr and snr in the Spanish race? :]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am 

pendulumeffect wrote:

Well, in the other thread for MV making a pass outside the track limits, everyone is vending that the FIA is not enforcing the rules. So now that they do, people still complain?

It is unfortunate for the rookie, but the rules are there to be followed. We can't be judging the FIA for not enforcing them and then for enforcing them indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm 

Does any driver deserve it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm 

Seanie wrote:

In a results driven sport, the words "deserve" and "fair" fall on deaf ears. But despite the cruelty of this sport, yes, the current regulations are truly and properly insane.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Seanie wrote:

In a results driven sport, the words "deserve" and "fair" fall on deaf ears. But despite the cruelty of this sport, yes, the current regulations are truly and properly insane.

Yes, I think applying a 30 grid place penalty when there are only 20 cars is ridiculous. 10-15 would be much more appropriate.

Its not as if the places carry over if you're only dropping 7 places.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:44 pm 

Surely changing this rule would be once again adapting for the sake of the outlier?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm 

Ennis wrote:
Surely changing this rule would be once again adapting for the sake of the outlier?

Surely it'd be adapting it to make it more suitable to the sport its applied to?

There isn't likely to be more than 30 cars in the sport, I can't remember the last time there was, so if the penalty doesn't carry over from race to race - whats the point in it being 30 places? Make it a number suitable for the size of the grid - or just say, you start from the back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:33 pm 

Seanie wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Surely it'd be adapting it to make it more suitable to the sport its applied to?

There isn't likely to be more than 30 cars in the sport, I can't remember the last time there was, so if the penalty doesn't carry over from race to race - whats the point in it being 30 places? Make it a number suitable for the size of the grid - or just say, you start from the back.

Because each is individual penalties related to specific components, so what's the point when '30 place' means you're at the back anyway? A bit like 399 year jail sentences, or concurrent life sentences. :)

Additionally, I think the component penalties should carry over from race to race - saves the cars which really matter from playing the system and introducing multiple parts in to the pool in a single weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 pm 

Seanie wrote:
Ennis wrote:

So 3 drivers in a certain weekend have a penalty that make them "start from the back". How do you decide in what order they start?

People shouldn't get so hung up on that number. It's a way to rank those that get penalties, that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm 

Ennis wrote:
Seanie wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Because each is individual penalties related to specific components, so what's the point when '30 place' means you're at the back anyway? A bit like 399 year jail sentences, or concurrent life sentences. :)

Additionally, I think the component penalties should carry over from race to race - saves the cars which really matter from playing the system and introducing multiple parts in to the pool in a single weekend.

It becomes relevant if several cars have penalties. one with only a 50 place drop will start infront of the one with 90 and both infront of the poor *inaudible* with 196 penalties :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 pm 

moby wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Seanie wrote:
Ennis wrote:

It becomes relevant if several cars have penalties. one with only a 50 place drop will start infront of the one with 90 and both infront of the poor *inaudible* with 196 penalties :twisted:

That was sorta where I was going with it :) Even the part that doesn't work makes no difference, so why change it?