planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic

Do you miss No.1?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 22 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 50
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1727
With Lewis likely to take his 4th title in the next couple of races, we'll most likely be seeing '44' again instead of '1' on his car next season.

Nico won the WDC in 2016 and I had hoped for its return but he promptly retired; the last driver to have the No.1 on their car was Vettel in 2014, so we'll have to go through a fourth season without it should Lewis win the WDC this year.

Does anyone else miss the No.1 in F1? For me, the number signifies that you are truly the best at your chosen discipline; all the greats (even Lewis) has had the honour of carrying it on their car. It should be mandatory if a driver wins the WDC, IMO.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8709
It will be good to have it back, especially with these larger numbers

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 691
Location: UK
As I understand it, the champion only has a choice as to whether to use it, anyone confirm that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1656
Option or Prime wrote:
As I understand it, the champion only has a choice as to whether to use it, anyone confirm that?


Yes, nobody but the champion can use it, but the champion doesn't have to use it. Lewis chose to stay with 44 last time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10734
It's a number. I couldn't possibly care less. :)

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2638
If I'd been asked this question back when the car numbers ran from 1 up to the 20s then sure, perhaps it would've noticed.

But now that each driver has their own specific number? Literally the only time I remember it isn't being used is when the topic comes up (i.e. this thread). Doesn't matter at all to me these days.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3008
I think that Hamilton sticking with 44 was probably in part rejecting Vettel's monopoly of the number 1 during his RBR domination, so wanted to show it was no big deal as well as build his brand around the number (Like Beckham did with his shirt number).

After all, the famous finger for all those years made Vettel synonymous with 'number one' . This can only lead to one thing:


Image
Credit: I made this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4393
Location: Michigan, USA
Yes. I don't care about a driver's 'brand', and I do miss seeing the #1. The #1 belongs to the team, not the driver.

8)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8709
The number 1 used to look pretty iconic before it got shrunk down so small you couldn't even see it from the 2000s on wards..

Image

Image
cloudfront.net

The last time we had it, barely visible -

Image
globalmotorsport.net

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5035
Not that fussed to be honest.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6716
Yeah I miss it, I also think it’s nice for the team to have it on their car as most of the time they’re the ones that have really earned it.

Not too fussed about it, Lewis should do whatever he wants, I do look forward to seeing it again though.

Thinking about it did Mercedes ever run the #1 back in the 50’s? Has there ever been a #1 Mercedes in F1?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1608
I loved it, and certainly miss it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 495
It's a number on a car that you can't see anymore without a TV camera being directly in front of a stationary car - I haven't missed it in the slightest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 938
Exediron wrote:
Yes. I don't care about a driver's 'brand', and I do miss seeing the #1. The #1 belongs to the team, not the driver.

8)


well not really, if a driver wins the wdc opts to take the No 1 then moves to a different team the following season he would take the 1 with him, so how do you see that the #1 belongs to the team?

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 445
No, dont miss the #1.... Would be cool tho if there was a different designation on the car (eg. Different color halo, a crown design above drivers current number, "champion" on the back of rear spoiler.)

_________________
PF1 pick 10
2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th


Last edited by Mayhem on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 am
Posts: 541
Location: Far North of Scotland
Whilst I like the #1, it doesn't really bother me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4393
Location: Michigan, USA
DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Yes. I don't care about a driver's 'brand', and I do miss seeing the #1. The #1 belongs to the team, not the driver.

8)

well not really, if a driver wins the wdc opts to take the No 1 then moves to a different team the following season he would take the 1 with him, so how do you see that the #1 belongs to the team?

That bit's never really made sense. I'd be happy if they cars were numbered 1 and 2 for the WCC, then 3 and 4 for second place, etc.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3008
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Yeah I miss it, I also think it’s nice for the team to have it on their car as most of the time they’re the ones that have really earned it.

Not too fussed about it, Lewis should do whatever he wants, I do look forward to seeing it again though.

Thinking about it did Mercedes ever run the #1 back in the 50’s? Has there ever been a #1 Mercedes in F1?

The WDC getting the number 1 started in the 1970s I think. So prior to that the numbers had no significance other than being a highly insecure candidate key for logging the cars in the database.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 85
Mayhem wrote:
No, dont miss the #1.... Would be cool tho if there was a different designation on the car (eg. Different color halo, a crown design above drivers current number, "champion" on the back of rear spoiler.)


I did like the proposed ‘Yellow Halo’ idea they suggested to identify the championship leader


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 am
Posts: 32
Please remember to post the source along with all images posted.

_________________
- Mod Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6716
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Yeah I miss it, I also think it’s nice for the team to have it on their car as most of the time they’re the ones that have really earned it.

Not too fussed about it, Lewis should do whatever he wants, I do look forward to seeing it again though.

Thinking about it did Mercedes ever run the #1 back in the 50’s? Has there ever been a #1 Mercedes in F1?

The WDC getting the number 1 started in the 1970s I think. So prior to that the numbers had no significance other than being a highly insecure candidate key for logging the cars in the database.

Thanks :thumbup:

I wonder when/if we will see a Mercedes with the number 1 then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:39 pm
Posts: 165
What was it that lead to Damon Hill running with number zero in the past?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 861
Location: Far side of Koozebane
TedStriker wrote:
What was it that lead to Damon Hill running with number zero in the past?


Mansell retiring at the end of 92 after winning the WDC for Williams.

Prost didn't want 0 on his car so Hill got it while Prost got 2.

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 248
Jezza13 wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
What was it that lead to Damon Hill running with number zero in the past?


Mansell retiring at the end of 92 after winning the WDC for Williams.

Prost didn't want 0 on his car so Hill got it while Prost got 2.


And they weren't allowed to choose a number from the other end of the pack. The lowest of which would have been 31


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4206
It's a part of tradition, good tradition, I might add. I miss it.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am
Posts: 2819
It's a travesty. Needs to be mandatory

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 3 victories (USA '17, USA '16, Mexico '16),
- 6 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6814
Location: Belgium
Yes. Just as I miss seeing a Ferrari carrying the number 27. Of course, I would have disliked Schumacher run around with that number. 7 and 8 still mean Prost and Lauda to me...

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
After all, the famous finger for all those years made Vettel synonymous with 'number one' . This can only lead to one thing:

Image
Credit: I made this
THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! :lol:

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1608
Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Yes. I don't care about a driver's 'brand', and I do miss seeing the #1. The #1 belongs to the team, not the driver.

8)

well not really, if a driver wins the wdc opts to take the No 1 then moves to a different team the following season he would take the 1 with him, so how do you see that the #1 belongs to the team?

That bit's never really made sense. I'd be happy if they cars were numbered 1 and 2 for the WCC, then 3 and 4 for second place, etc.


People care about WDC's, not WCC's. Also, outside of 1/2, the rest are actually numbered by WCC results.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2488
Nope.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4393
Location: Michigan, USA
ReservoirDog wrote:
People care about WDC's, not WCC's. Also, outside of 1/2, the rest are actually numbered by WCC results.

Probably true. But the people who aren't fooling themselves realize the WDC is also a team achievement.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 85
The drivers could get creative, and combine their number with the #1.
Some examples, Ryan Hunter-Reay

Image

Source: http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/6-2 ... -for-ESPYs

Shane Van Gisbergen

Image

Source: https:www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-champ-van-gisbergen-ditches-1-for-97-864780/amp/

Granted, the Gis ditched the 1 for 97 for this season, still counts


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 157
bradtheboywonder wrote:
The drivers could get creative, and combine their number with the #1.



I've been thinking the same, i'm sure you could do a good "1" inbetween Leiws' 4s

I thought Lorenzo did it in MotoGP not that long ago.

Image

source: http://www.fubiz.net/usersstuff/jorge-l ... umber-one/

Turns out it was actually his initials :blush: :lol:

_________________
Oooh I'm so badass... I've got a z in my name.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 445
bradtheboywonder wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
No, dont miss the #1.... Would be cool tho if there was a different designation on the car (eg. Different color halo, a crown design above drivers current number, "champion" on the back of rear spoiler.)


I did like the proposed ‘Yellow Halo’ idea they suggested to identify the championship leader


I did like that idea as well. But what if current points leader and current champ are one in the same. Would there be 2 separate color designations?

_________________
PF1 pick 10
2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 445
Warnzee wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:
The drivers could get creative, and combine their number with the #1.



I've been thinking the same, i'm sure you could do a good "1" inbetween Leiws' 4s

I thought Lorenzo did it in MotoGP not that long ago.

Image

source: http://www.fubiz.net/usersstuff/jorge-l ... umber-one/

Turns out it was actually his initials :blush: :lol:


Pretty creative on his part. :thumbup:

_________________
PF1 pick 10
2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 85
Mayhem wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
No, dont miss the #1.... Would be cool tho if there was a different designation on the car (eg. Different color halo, a crown design above drivers current number, "champion" on the back of rear spoiler.)


I did like the proposed ‘Yellow Halo’ idea they suggested to identify the championship leader


I did like that idea as well. But what if current points leader and current champ are one in the same. Would there be 2 separate color designations?


Yeah, I liked your idea of having “Champion” on the rear wing, but I think sponsors would have a say against that. Maybe a different coloured Halo.
Gold halo = Champion
Silver Halo = Points Leader


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 445
bradtheboywonder wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
No, dont miss the #1.... Would be cool tho if there was a different designation on the car (eg. Different color halo, a crown design above drivers current number, "champion" on the back of rear spoiler.)


I did like the proposed ‘Yellow Halo’ idea they suggested to identify the championship leader


I did like that idea as well. But what if current points leader and current champ are one in the same. Would there be 2 separate color designations?


Yeah, I liked your idea of having “Champion” on the rear wing, but I think sponsors would have a say against that. Maybe a different coloured Halo.
Gold halo = Champion
Silver Halo = Points Leader


Having "champion" on the rear spolier would be a nice touch as your actually chasing the champion trying to take his spot. As for the sponser possible issue if its a fia rule then they cant complain.

I was thinking those colors as well. Lol

_________________
PF1 pick 10
2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8709
Not to be used all the time, but stars after names could be quite good on some graphics and world championship stars maybe in logos like in Football.

Silver star - a race winner but none champion
Gold star - one gold star for each championship like Football teams do to denote World Cup wins.

Image]https://i.pinimg.com/2

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1727
lamo wrote:
Not to be used all the time, but stars after names could be quite good on some graphics and world championship stars maybe in logos like in Football.

Silver star - a race winner but none champion
Gold star - one gold star for each championship like Football teams do to denote World Cup wins.

Image]https://i.pinimg.com/2

Stars are a good idea, maybe the teams should put them above their logo on the front of the nose and the driver has them somewhere on his helmet.

I always think of Schumacher's helmet design with the 7 stars on the top, before he even won his first F1 title. It was as if he knew...

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:21 pm
Posts: 337
I miss seeing the #1 on a McLaren.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: f1madman, Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group