All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:12 pm 

Cars.

Grid.

How many.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 pm 

Watching that made me think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm 

The more the better. Why it's not a priority for Liberty to actually fill the grid I don't know. I don't understand why all the enforced barriers to entry. Anyone that turns up with a car that meets the regs should be able to try and compete.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

Is there not a limit of 26? (or is it 28?)

Any more than this and there has to be Pre-Qualifying and the lower cars have to drop out.

Other than that they need to be within a sensible time of the leaders. Its where the 105% came from originally.

I would love to see 30+ cars, but tracks are far too small these days

24. I like that number.

mikeyg123 wrote:
The more the better. Why it's not a priority for Liberty to actually fill the grid I don't know. I don't understand why all the enforced barriers to entry. Anyone that turns up with a car that meets the regs should be able to try and compete.

Image from: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-1 ... ars-go-die

I think 20-26 is roughly my limit. Less than 20 and we definitely have too many people getting points imo. Points to the top half isn't disagreeable to me. If tracks can accomodate more cars, I'm not against their being more actually but I think my sweet spot is low/mid-twenties.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:37 pm 

IMHO Liberty should make efforts to have at least 12 teams on the grid in 2021. 12-14 teams is ideal number.

Currently we have too less. If there are more midfield teams, it is great for racing as you see at least one or 2 of them breaking into the top every few years like we have seen in past.

Less teams, and less midfield teams means we form well established team rankings through the calendar year. I would rather have more reasonably funded teams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
IMHO Liberty should make efforts to have at least 12 teams on the grid in 2021. 12-14 teams is ideal number.

Currently we have too less. If there are more midfield teams, it is great for racing as you see at least one or 2 of them breaking into the top every few years like we have seen in past.

Less teams, and less midfield teams means we form well established team rankings through the calendar year. I would rather have more reasonably funded teams.

Yes I'm in agreement with your ideal number. I think a more equitable revenue sharing model would make it possible to field more teams and I'm pretty sure Liberty will explore that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm 

As many as they can cram onto the track. IMO 30 should be a good starting point.

Formula One has become a closed club and being able to participate in a Formula One race requires a lot of money, greased palms, and knowing the players. Many ears ago, basically if you showed up on registration day and were not too slow, you had a chance to make the race.

As a fan I want to see a lot of battling and hard racing. I do not get a tingle when the race is basically a contest between (at best) six cars. That is why I have no problems spending my money for a weekend at an endurance race, but find the cost of attending a Formula One race as foolish.

p.s. Traffic is part of life, and racing should not plead any exemption. Driving in traffic is part of any driver's required skill set.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
As many as they can cram onto the track. IMO 30 should be a good starting point.

Formula One has become a closed club and being able to participate in a Formula One race requires a lot of money, greased palms, and knowing the players. Many ears ago, basically if you showed up on registration day and were not too slow, you had a chance to make the race.

As a fan I want to see a lot of battling and hard racing. I do not get a tingle when the race is basically a contest between (at best) six cars. That is why I have no problems spending my money for a weekend at an endurance race, but find the cost of attending a Formula One race as foolish.

p.s. Traffic is part of life, and racing should not plead any exemption. Driving in traffic is part of any driver's required skill set.

Its not just the track though, its the garages as well. Monaco especally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

Quality over quantity. I'd rather stick with 20 cars than add another HRT just to make up the numbers.

I'd rather they worked on sorting out the competitiveness of the current grid before accepting new teams. Under the current revenue structure there really is no point in anyone new entering.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm 

j man wrote:
Quality over quantity. I'd rather stick with 20 cars than add another HRT just to make up the numbers.

I'd rather they worked on sorting out the competitiveness of the current grid before accepting new teams. Under the current revenue structure there really is no point in anyone new entering.

A pure personal viewpoint, but I think its the rules that need work. If you have to pass cars to race, it adds all sorts of variables ans indeed skills. Its where drivers like Sena and Schumacher showed they were better than the rest.

More cars and a much reduced blue flag rule. Just look how far Alonso fell back last week when he got involved in blue flags. Once you are in blue flag territory you may as well retire now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:34 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you've said about dealing with traffic but I have to chime in on the whole "show up on registration day" thing. Back in those days, just being crazy enough to do it was the main thing you needed in order to race in F1. Now it's much more merit-based. I don't think you can ever go back to that type of environment to be honest.

In terms of your complaint about having at most 6 cars battling for the win; that wouldn't change by adding more teams. Most likely the teams that come in would be in the middle of the pack or at the back of the pack. Becoming a top team would be almost impossible for any new entrant in the short run.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 pm 

moby wrote:
j man wrote:

A pure personal viewpoint, but I think its the rules that need work. If you have to pass cars to race, it adds all sorts of variables ans indeed skills. Its where drivers like Sena and Schumacher showed they were better than the rest.

More cars and a much reduced blue flag rule. Just look how far Alonso fell back last week when he got involved in blue flags. Once you are in blue flag territory you may as well retire now.

Back in those days the cars weren't nearly as aerodynamically sensitive. Passing backmarkers was much easier back then. Nowadays a backmarker can ruin your race.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 pm 

moby wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Its not just the track though, its the garages as well. Monaco especally

Some tracks are deficient in accommodating enough cars, although I believe all any team should be given is 20 feet by 20 feet and told to get on with it. But track owners are reluctant to give up precious high income locations for more cars.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you've said about dealing with traffic but I have to chime in on the whole "show up on registration day" thing. Back in those days, just being crazy enough to do it was the main thing you needed in order to race in F1. Now it's much more merit-based. I don't think you can ever go back to that type of environment to be honest.

In terms of your complaint about having at most 6 cars battling for the win; that wouldn't change by adding more teams. Most likely the teams that come in would be in the middle of the pack or at the back of the pack. Becoming a top team would be almost impossible for any new entrant in the short run.

The merit aspect comes into play on qualifying day. It doesn't matter who you are, if you do not qualify well, load the trailer.

But a lot of obstacles for a larger grid are covered in many topics we discuss here. The disparity between teams, the lack of parity, aerodynamics on cars that inhibit close racing, and of course, never forget politics and money.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 pm 

26. Old school number. There were always team and cars like Merzario, Kauhsen, RAM, AGS, ATS, Osella, Minardi, HRT, and oh so many more. They added more interest because you could cheer for their success and be happy for it, even when you driver on top does not o well. For some of them you cheering to qualify, for others to get a point or two. F1 had special flavor when they were around. They were there not win, but to punch above their weight. And I loved that, every single success they had.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:
j man wrote:

Back in those days the cars weren't nearly as aerodynamically sensitive. Passing backmarkers was much easier back then. Nowadays a backmarker can ruin your race.

But which is cause and which is effect? Did this way come about through the prima donna drivers getting on the radio and shouting 'Blue flag, Blue flag' and the designers take advantage of not having to fight to pass?

If the rules said they have to fight to pass, they will design the cars to do it. If they are waved by, they will not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
26. Old school number. There were always team and cars like Merzario, Kauhsen, RAM, AGS, ATS, Osella, Minardi, HRT, and oh so many more. They added more interest because you could cheer for their success and be happy for it, even when you driver on top does not o well. For some of them you cheering to qualify, for others to get a point or two. F1 had special flavor when they were around. They were there not win, but to punch above their weight. And I loved that, every single success they had.

I remember Mclaren not making it through Pre - Quali in Monaco one time.

Look at this. 41 entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Monaco_Grand_Prix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 pm 

moby wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:
j man wrote:

But which is cause and which is effect? Did this way come about through the prima donna drivers getting on the radio and shouting 'Blue flag, Blue flag' and the designers take advantage of not having to fight to pass?

If the rules said they have to fight to pass, they will design the cars to do it. If they are waved by, they will not.

I don't think they're prima donnas. I think there is a reality to driving modern F1 cars that makes it impractical to allow backmarkers to get in the way. You would have leading drivers running their tires off trying to get past them. Also it's not about designing the cars to pass. As long as your car is heavily reliant on aerodynamics to achieve performance, it will be difficult to follow in another car's wake. To design a car to be able to follow another without losing performance would be to make that car MUCH slower than the other cars in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 pm 

Ideally 30.
24 as a minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 pm 

They don't allow anymore than 26 on the grid, so 26.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:18 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:
j man wrote:

I don't think they're prima donnas. I think there is a reality to driving modern F1 cars that makes it impractical to allow backmarkers to get in the way. You would have leading drivers running their tires off trying to get past them. Also it's not about designing the cars to pass. As long as your car is heavily reliant on aerodynamics to achieve performance, it will be difficult to follow in another car's wake. To design a car to be able to follow another without losing performance would be to make that car MUCH slower than the other cars in F1.

As I keep saying though, there is a difference between racing and driving your car fast. It seems to be all driving your car fast none about racing. The rules make it that way, but how do the rules come about.

It used to be a separate motor sport called time trial or sprint to drive qualli style around a track without having to fight for a place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm 

Would anyone miss Haas?

Id rather see another big team join Ferrari, Red Bull, Merc and just have 8 cars racing than a 30 field grid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 pm 

moby wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:

As I keep saying though, there is a difference between racing and driving your car fast. It seems to be all driving your car fast none about racing. The rules make it that way, but how do the rules come about.

It used to be a separate motor sport called time trial or sprint to drive qualli style around a track without having to fight for a place.

Having to fight a back marker is not fighting for a place, or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 pm 

Zazu wrote:
Would anyone miss Haas?

Id rather see another big team join Ferrari, Red Bull, Merc and just have 8 cars racing than a 30 field grid

All the teams serve a purpose, not every team can win, how do young drivers get into F1 without teams like Haas, Sauber, STR or even Williams?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:27 am 

I was thinking 30 when I saw the title. Good round number.

We don't have right proper back markers anymore. We need teams like Minardi and Jordan to bring in the next best thing. There's no underdog back marker cheering for. I think we need these battlers almost as much as we need top level teams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 am 

pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:
Would anyone miss Haas?

All the teams serve a purpose, not every team can win, how do young drivers get into F1 without teams like Haas, Sauber, STR or even Williams?

All teams absolutely serve a purpose,

But should the quality of the sport as a whole be deminished to purely be able to say we have a full grid line up of 26? Of Course not, higher numbers would make the sport more of a spectacle but in reality if only the same 2 guys would be the only ones fighting for the win adding more cars would just add more traffic. We think blue flags are a problem now. Let there be 8 more cars like manor or sauber even mclaren be on the grid and we will really have a parking lot.

Imo the sport would be far better if every car on the grid had the chance to actually challenge for the win. Yes thats what everyone races for on sunday but we all know who really has a shot at racing for a win and who is just driving fast around a track. Something that has been discussed a few times is 2 separate races a drivers championship race & constructors race...

It'll never happen but i for one would like to see a drivers champ race featuring only the points finishers of every race in a sprint style race every man for themself, no team orders, just drive. Reversed grid line up based on the top 10 of every race. Fastest cars in the back and every driver elbows out to win points for the drivers championship. Points are separate from constructors points.

Now on the constructors race same format we have now and teams work out whatever strategy they wish for the team. Teams get what they want as far as quality drivers working together for good of the team and then u take the leash off and let the drivers loose in the drivers championship race. The points earned here do not effect the drivers championship and finishing positions determine if you qualify for the drivers championship race that wkd.

PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th

Last edited by Mayhem on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 am 

Mayhem, on your point, what about a NASCAR style finals series? So have a championship to determine a top 6 (For example) and those top 6 then fight it out in a finals series to determine the champion?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 am 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
Mayhem, on your point, what about a NASCAR style finals series? So have a championship to determine a top 6 (For example) and those top 6 then fight it out in a finals series to determine the champion?

Not into nascar myself but Definately an interesting concept that could possibly apply to F1 .

The reason why i suggest the top 10 format is due to the fact that all points paying positions are viewed as valuable constructor points towards said championship. Its only fair to include all 10 drivers who scored for there team. Keeps the drivers motivated in the constructors race to do a good team result here to qualify for drivers championship race.

PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th

Last edited by Mayhem on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:22 am 

Zazu wrote:
Would anyone miss Haas?

You should have been in hog heaven the year of the tire fiasco at Indy - 6 cars. Whoopie f'n doo!

Racing is about many things - not just for the 'strong' teams. F1 over the past two decades has become a ultra-exclusive 'Old Boys Club', with more barriers to entry than any other organized 'sport'. Right now we only have 10 player - TEN out of the whole f'n WORLD.

F1 drivers hold themselves up as the 'best racers in the world', however, more often than not the expect competition to move out of their way.

SCCA Club racing allows 25 cars per track mile; which for F1 I expect is too many. That being said 10 cars per track mile is reasonable, with Monoco, at 2 miles being stricken from the allowance procedure. 15 teams or 30 cars is reasonable, 20 teams and 40 cars would be better. If NASCAR can pit 40 cars on a 1/2 mile bull ring, certainly F1 can handle more than 20 cars at 10 COUNT IT - TEN pit locations, since each car doesn't have it's own pit space (just working garage area).

Time for F1 to put on their big boy pants and race - through traffic. I love to drive the Interstates without traffic (it can generally be done between Midnight and 4 AM) however, reality is there is beau coup traffic the other 20 hour of the day.

The 'excitement' of any sports is watching someone capitalize on someone else's mistake. In every sport mistakes get made - even at the top levels, the sports are contested by humans and humans do make mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 am 

bradtheboywonder wrote:

And I stopped watching NASCAR when they went to the playoff format.

Personally, I want to see a lot of cars battling all over the track. I am not interested in time trials or processional racing. I tune in to watch a competition, not an exhibition.

But that's one major problem, different fans have different desires. Some desire what is basically a time trial, with minimal traffic or competition. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just that it doesn't tingle my fuzzies. So what Formula One will be like ten years from now is open to speculation, but changes are coming.

A lot of the racing hard/passing/traffic issues that seem to get in the way at Formula One have been solved in other series. Tire manufacturers can build more durable tires that are forgiving on how hot they run. Indycar has more underbody generated downforce, and they can run closer and battle harder. A lot of the "problems" within Formula One are self-generated, because a lack of forethough and inability to properly think things through has painted the sport into a corner.

Fortunately Liberty bought the sport in time, and they are presently researching how to improve the sport and bring in more fans. So who knows what will come to pass, but I expect good things.

Additionally, if Formula One could attract 30 entrants, this will signal that the sport is much healthier and attractive for teams to get into the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 pm 

moby wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Look at this. 41 entries

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Having to fight a back marker is not fighting for a place, or am I missing something?

You are missing something :D
To be more precise, I am missing something. Passing back markers was always part of racing. Good drivers use them poor drivers complain about having to do something. If a car is a lap quicker than another one, surly it should be capable of passing it. The reason it is not is because it is designed that way. Even the 'mighty' Mercedes are poor behind other cars, because they are designed to win from the front. The Red Bulls do not suffer a fraction as much because they are designed to be fighting it out, not seeing how fast they can go on a clear road.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm 

moby wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Look at this. 41 entries

Finishers though? And finishers on the same lap?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
moby wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Look at this. 41 entries

Is that what its about? its not scalelextric. The cars race each other, not just the one in the lead. If you only want the first 3 finishers, you just as well only have 3 starters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

moby wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
moby wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Look at this. 41 entries

Is that what its about? its not scalelextric. The cars race each other, not just the one in the lead. If you only want the first 3 finishers, you just as well only have 3 starters.

What it's about will vary from person to person, but complaints about reliability and competitiveness still happen at the moment. Maybe more entries would be good, but if you suddenly only had two cars finishing on the same lap, half the field over 3 seconds off the pace and almost 50% of the starters retiring due to mechanical issues: Well, lets just say there would be some debate.

It was what it was then, and aspects of it were awesome, but lets not let our rose tinted glasses get too opaque eh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:55 pm 

A minimum of 26, as in the old days.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

I just would like the top teams to be allowed to field three cars even if only the fastest two of theirs in any race are allowed to score in the WCC points. This really would free up the logjam for the fastest drivers where they literally have to wait years before getting competitive drives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:19 pm 

mas wrote:
I just would like the top teams to be allowed to field three cars even if only the fastest two of theirs in any race are allowed to score in the WCC points. This really would free up the logjam for the fastest drivers where they literally have to wait years before getting competitive drives.

sorry, reply in wrong post