planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
He's still scoring consistent points and not getting involved in silly incidents.

Better luck than judgement. He drove Magnussen into a wall in Singapore at about 160mph.

Williams should be up with FI in the constructors championship. There miles off in reality I thought Massa's US drive was his best for a while but before that Stroll had him beat three races in a row Belgium - Singapore

I remember KMag's crazy dive down the inside of Massa.

Massa beat Stroll in Spa, finished right behind Stroll at Monza despite Stroll starting on the front row, he tried to pass him, and then close behind Stroll in Singapore with 2 cars between them.

Both Monza and Singapore were affected by the rain and Stroll is better than Massa in the rain so that was a bit of a differentiator.

Seriously? How can you dive "crazily" down the inside of someone when both cars are flat out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5cXY4knyFQ - That's a "crazy dive"?

I think you can't remember the incident? If the roles were reversed K-Mag would still be getting heat and if Verstappen had done it you'd never stop talking about it.

I think that Massa's car nearly went into the wall on the outside, KMag takes risks.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
He's still scoring consistent points and not getting involved in silly incidents.

Better luck than judgement. He drove Magnussen into a wall in Singapore at about 160mph.

Williams should be up with FI in the constructors championship. There miles off in reality I thought Massa's US drive was his best for a while but before that Stroll had him beat three races in a row Belgium - Singapore

Massa beat Stroll in Spa, finished right behind Stroll at Monza despite Stroll starting on the front row, he tried to pass him, and then close behind Stroll in Singapore with 2 cars between them.

Both Monza and Singapore were affected by the rain and Stroll is better than Massa in the rain so that was a bit of a differentiator.

Seriously? How can you dive "crazily" down the inside of someone when both cars are flat out?

I think you can't remember the incident? If the roles were reversed K-Mag would still be getting heat and if Verstappen had done it you'd never stop talking about it.

I think that Massa's car nearly went into the wall on the outside, KMag takes risks.

Which doesn't change the fact Massa was very lucky not to cause a horrendous accident.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Which doesn't change the fact Massa was very lucky not to cause a horrendous accident.

But he didn't did he. Maybe he knows where the limits are. He hasn't got in to trouble like Verstappen and nor has he taken another driver out or badly affected his own race due to an overly risky move like Verstappen has.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
But he didn't did he. Maybe he knows where the limits are. He hasn't got in to trouble like Verstappen and nor has he taken another driver out or badly affected his own race due to an overly risky move like Verstappen has.

As I said better luck than judgement. Schumacher didn't cause an accident when he run Barrichello to the wall and nobody said "perfect judgement" And it's not like Verstappen is doing those things regularly either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am 

Add Kyvat to the list now

http://www.planetf1.com/news/kvyat-in-c ... iams-seat/

As he comes with sponsorship and is young and fast that just might sway it over Kubica.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 am 

mas wrote:

As he comes with sponsorship and is young and fast that just might sway it over Kubica.

This won't work for Williams.
They need an over 25 driver for their sponsors marketing.
Kyvatt is only 23, so if they keep Stroll, they can't take Kyvatt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 am 

G926 wrote:
mas wrote:

This has been debunked already - by Williams themselves no less. The 25 thing is not a requirement, just a broad guideline. Williams want to choose the best driver for the seat and if he happens to be 24 (which he'll be in April already), then so be it. Di Resta could take over promotional responsibilities where needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 am 

mds wrote:
G926 wrote:
mas wrote:

This has been debunked already - by Williams themselves no less. The 25 thing is not a requirement, just a broad guideline. Williams want to choose the best driver for the seat and if he happens to be 24 (which he'll be in April already), then so be it. Di Resta could take over promotional responsibilities where needed.

I wasn't aware Williams had debunked this.
My impression was that it had nothing to do with the team itself, but advertising regulations in various countries that stipulated anyone in the ads must be over 25.

That being said, I wouldn't like to see Kyvatt in the team. I think he's had his shot at F1 and may disappear to another motorsport.
With all the other signings, the second Williams seat has suddenly become a very attractive one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:00 pm 

G926 wrote:
mds wrote:
G926 wrote:
mas wrote:

I wasn't aware Williams had debunked this.
My impression was that it had nothing to do with the team itself, but advertising regulations in various countries that stipulated anyone in the ads must be over 25.

That being said, I wouldn't like to see Kyvatt in the team. I think he's had his shot at F1 and may disappear to another motorsport.
With all the other signings, the second Williams seat has suddenly become a very attractive one.

Paddy Lowe as said the 25 thing isn't hard and fast and if they wanted to hire somebody under 25 then they would.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 pm 

Williams looks now like a poor man opening every garbage can to see is there some food left. How the mighty have fallen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:27 pm 

I think Kvyat is about the best option Williams have on the table. I feel that he was unmotivated in his second Torro Rosso spell once the prospect of a Red Bull return evaportated on Max's RB debut. A fresh challenge will bring the best out of him.

He was pretty impressive in 2015, even outpointing Ricciardo (although that flattered him somewhat). There is some ability there.

Last edited by BMWSauber84 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Williams looks now like a poor man opening every garbage can to see is there some food left. How the mighty have fallen.

Maybe Paddy can make a difference!! Or perhaps the elder Mr. Stroll can find them a significant cash influx. Hard times for Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm 

They surely are going to make their decision before the Brazilian GP in respect to Massa?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:
They surely are going to make their decision before the Brazilian GP in respect to Massa?

Brazil would be a far more fitting race for Massa to end his career. They should maybe think about putting Kvyat (if it is to be him) in the car for Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:57 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

What Massa did could be put in the same box as thoses Verstappen moves you are criticizing. There is nohing to say about Magnussen on that particular overtake.

BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Brazil would be a far more fitting race for Massa to end his career. They should maybe think about putting Kvyat (if it is to be him) in the car for Abu Dhabi.

As far as I know, Massa denied any rumor about him being replaced for Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm 

Fantaribo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

What Massa did could be put in the same box as thoses Verstappen moves you are criticizing. There is nohing to say about Magnussen on that particular overtake.

BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

As far as I know, Massa denied any rumor about him being replaced for Abu Dhabi.

Isn't that my exact point? I don't think Massa has been at fault for damaging his car or affecting his result for ages down to a result of a bad overtake. Where as Verstappen has taken Ricciardo out and since no blame got put on him in Italy and it was Verstappen who suffered, I can only really blame Verstappen. It may seem silly, but if they believe Massa did anything unreasonable or against the rules, they would have penalised him. With regards to the Massa getting overtaken by Magnussen, nothing went wrong did it even if it was close. Maybe Massa was lucky, but if he doesn't get blamed and nothing goes wrong with his moves, I think he is smart enough to know to not go too far. When was the last time Massa was penalised for an incident with other drivers? He's been involved in loads, but since he's been at Williams, I think pretty much all of them have been down to the other driver or a racing incident. Verstappen has cost himself heavily sometimes doing some moves like this while Massa hasn't. I remember several times in 2014 where Massa was involved but was the innocent victim every time. One with Kobyashi, one with Perez, one with Magnussen and one with Raikonnen. I think there may have been another too. But he wasn't to blame in any of them. Massa sure gets involved in a lot, but I think that is more bad luck than anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:25 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Isn't that my exact point? I don't think Massa has been at fault for damaging his car or affecting his result for ages down to a result of a bad overtake. Where as Verstappen has taken Ricciardo out and since no blame got put on him in Italy and it was Verstappen who suffered, I can only really blame Verstappen. It may seem silly, but if they believe Massa did anything unreasonable or against the rules, they would have penalised him. With regards to the Massa getting overtaken by Magnussen, nothing went wrong did it even if it was close. Maybe Massa was lucky, but if he doesn't get blamed and nothing goes wrong with his moves, I think he is smart enough to know to not go too far. When was the last time Massa was penalised for an incident with other drivers? He's been involved in loads, but since he's been at Williams, I think pretty much all of them have been down to the other driver or a racing incident. Verstappen has cost himself heavily sometimes doing some moves like this while Massa hasn't. I remember several times in 2014 where Massa was involved but was the innocent victim every time. One with Kobyashi, one with Perez, one with Magnussen and one with Raikonnen. I think there may have been another too. But he wasn't to blame in any of them. Massa sure gets involved in a lot, but I think that is more bad luck than anything.

Hang on a minute. Have you not been saying Verstappen is responsible for his problems in Italy and Spain due to risky car positioning and saying it is his own fault he gets involved in a lot of scrapes that aren't his fault because of this?

But here you seem to be giving Massa a free pass for the same thing really?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Hang on a minute. Have you not been saying Verstappen is responsible for his problems in Italy and Spain due to risky car positioning and saying it is his own fault he gets involved in a lot of scrapes that aren't his fault because of this?

But here you seem to be giving Massa a free pass for the same thing really?

But Verstappen got taken out due to the risk he took in Spain and Italy... In Spain, Bottas may have braked early, but Raikonnen and Verstappen risked pulling along side at the same time. Raikonnen could have gone wider if Verstappen wasn't on the outside and I personally think Verstappen should have known 3 into 1 was very unlikely to work out. But it was a racing incident which was the right decision in my view. Massa may have been lucky in Singapore, but he has not been responsible for a retirement in these circumstances and that is my point. Massa did very nearly squeeze Magnussen in the wall, but just about left him enough room. Magnussen didn't suddenly have to move over any more than he was already so I don't see what was wrong with Massa doing what he did. It was hard but fair racing, even if it was risky.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
But Verstappen got taken out due to the risk he took in Spain and Italy... In Spain, Bottas may have braked early, but Raikonnen and Verstappen risked pulling along side at the same time. Raikonnen could have gone wider if Verstappen wasn't on the outside and I personally think Verstappen should have known 3 into 1 was very unlikely to work out. But it was a racing incident which was the right decision in my view. Massa may have been lucky in Singapore, but he has not been responsible for a retirement in these circumstances and that is my point. Massa did very nearly squeeze Magnussen in the wall, but just about left him enough room. Magnussen didn't suddenly have to move over any more than he was already so I don't see what was wrong with Massa doing what he did. It was hard but fair racing, even if it was risky.

Yet when Schumacher did it to Barrichello in Hungary everybody said he should have gotten DSQ?

In Spain if you look Verstappen did give Kimi loads of room. He's no squeezing him at all. Certainly in some of Massa's accidents you list above his car position contributed. Certainly in Canada and I think he was largely at fault in Germany where he got flipped over. I enjoy debating with you and respect your opinion but I think you are showing some double standards with your criticism of Verstappen compared to how you speak about other drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Yet when Schumacher did it to Barrichello in Hungary everybody said he should have gotten DSQ?

In Spain if you look Verstappen did give Kimi loads of room. He's no squeezing him at all. Certainly in some of Massa's accidents you list above his car position contributed. Certainly in Canada and I think he was largely at fault in Germany where he got flipped over. I enjoy debating with you and respect your opinion but I think you are showing some double standards with your criticism of Verstappen compared to how you speak about other drivers.

I agree with Karun Chandhok's view on Channel 4 with what Verstappen did in Spain. He also thought it was just too much of a risk and I don't think he did give Kimi enough room considering he should have known that Bottas was on the inside of Kimi. if Verstappen had gone wider, Kimi could have too and it wouldn't have happened. If Verstappen hadn't takes that risk in the first place, it won't have happened. I don't see Massa's 2014 incidents being at all similar and in Germany, I can only blame Magnussen. Didn't he get a penalty or was it a racing incident? My main point is that Massa hardly ever gets penalised for his incidents. And from what the decision was on both Verstappen's incidents I mentioned this year in Italy and Hungary, I think he was at fault for both. And also IMO, he was partly responsible for his retirement in Spain. But lets just accept that we have different views.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I agree with Karun Chandhok's view on Channel 4 with what Verstappen did in Spain. He also thought it was just too much of a risk and I don't think he did give Kimi enough room considering he should have known that Bottas was on the inside of Kimi. if Verstappen had gone wider, Kimi could have too and it wouldn't have happened. If Verstappen hadn't takes that risk in the first place, it won't have happened. I don't see Massa's 2014 incidents being at all similar and in Germany, I can only blame Magnussen. Didn't he get a penalty or was it a racing incident? My main point is that Massa hardly ever gets penalised for his incidents. And from what the decision was on both Verstappen's incidents I mentioned this year in Italy and Hungary, I think he was at fault for both. And also IMO, he was partly responsible for his retirement in Spain. But lets just accept that we have different views.

He was alrwady giving Kimi more room than Kimi was using.

You can't judge fault bassed on the stewards decisions. They are only penalising extreme stuff this year. Look at the last race. No doubt Vettel punctured Hamilton's tyre but no penalty.

In Italy Verstappen did take risks but so did Massa. It's a bit of a cop out to solely blame Verstappen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

He was alrwady giving Kimi more room than Kimi was using.

You can't judge fault bassed on the stewards decisions. They are only penalising extreme stuff this year. Look at the last race. No doubt Vettel punctured Hamilton's tyre but no penalty.

In Italy Verstappen did take risks but so did Massa. It's a bit of a cop out to solely blame Verstappen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am 

How could anything be more inspiring than Kubicas story if he makes a comeback?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:21 pm 

What is Frijns up to for '18?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pm 

Massa's retirement news makes this one worth bumping.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 pm 

Kubica returning is looking increasingly likely. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Massa's retirement news makes this one worth bumping.

Yeah and I said that Williams needed to let Massa know one way or the other before Brazil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:24 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Kubica returning is looking increasingly likely. :)

Rumours are that di Resta was 2 tenths quicker than him, just rumours though.

Nobody has much of a clue who Williams will pick, there seems to be various names still in the hat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:39 pm 

Well Massa confirming he's retiring after Abu Dhabi

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13283 ... nd-of-2017

Open for one of the others, personal would love to see Kubica given a chance if he's for enough and the insurance issues can be resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:40 pm 

I now think Kvyat is the best choice. He may have been poor the last 2 seasons, but Red Bull haven't allowed him to have a full season without messing it up. The year before that, he was certainly good. And had a decent first season too. With a new start outside of Red Bull, he could well come accross as much more relaxed driver. Also, if the WIlliams is more compettetive than the car he has last been in was, that may bring him back to the level he performed in 2015. He's had years of experience in they hybrid era and also started his carrer in it. Di Resta, Kubica pretty much have no experience at all and IMO, would be a far bigger risk, especially Kubica. I've heard about Wehrlein being a possibility, but other than that he crashes less, his pace has looked no better than Ericsson's this season really. He's decent, But I think Kvyat has already shown to be better from his 2nd season.

So I''m hoping it will be Kvyat who they go for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 pm 

Even if they pick Kubica they should still pick up Kyvat as their reserve driver. He just might be a good fit for Williams in the long run plus he's 25 in 2019. See how Kubica goes and then draft Kyvat in if it doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:23 pm 

As much as I think Kvyat is the right choice and would thrive in a new environement, Williams might see a Kvyat/Stroll pairing as a bit too unreliable.

I cannot see the Kubica situation working out unfortuately. Di Resta stands a very good chance despite not being particularly inspiring or quick. He might be seen as dependable foil to the mercurial Stroll.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

Di Resta when in Force India was quite steady in getting points. Kvyat could be a risk as he has made some big errors. Kubica could be good more for a PR point of view as I do believe he's not as fit as any of the current drivers on the grid. He's a great driver but I think they should give him a reserve driver role, give him FP1 outings this year & get him more ready for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:20 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I now think Kvyat is the best choice. He may have been poor the last 2 seasons, but Red Bull haven't allowed him to have a full season without messing it up. The year before that, he was certainly good. And had a decent first season too. With a new start outside of Red Bull, he could well come accross as much more relaxed driver. Also, if the WIlliams is more compettetive than the car he has last been in was, that may bring him back to the level he performed in 2015. He's had years of experience in they hybrid era and also started his carrer in it. Di Resta, Kubica pretty much have no experience at all and IMO, would be a far bigger risk, especially Kubica. I've heard about Wehrlein being a possibility, but other than that he crashes less, his pace has looked no better than Ericsson's this season really. He's decent, But I think Kvyat has already shown to be better from his 2nd season.

So I''m hoping it will be Kvyat who they go for.

Would also mean Kvyat could be dropped again, so we won't have seen Max have his last win in F1!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm 

People are so fed up of Massa bigging himself up desperately, he hasn't even got a retirement thread! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:39 pm 

I would like to see what Robert Kubica could do in the current generation of Williams. If Williams doesn't have faith in Kubica's abiltiy to deliver then Paul Di Resta makes the most sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 pm 

Kvyat is the clear best option to my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

The Kubica dream return is very much alive and well

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13295 ... -abu-dhabi

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

If Kubica can drive quickly and consistently then he has to be top choice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:05 pm 

They need to get Kyvat too as reserve driver just in case.