planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 pm 

Formula 1.com is reporting that Kyvat, Sainz and Palmer are all swapping their present seats from Austin onwards

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... t-usa.html

Kyvat will move into Sainz's Toro Rosso seat, Sainz will move into Palmer's Renault seat and Palmer will move into Kyvat's spectator seat, on the sofa by the TV.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 pm 

I feel bad for Palmer given his luck this season and how Renault have stacked the upgrades in Hulkenburg's favour, but this move is in no way surprising. I wonder if TR knew this swap was on when they put Gasly into the car earlier than expected.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 pm 

Palmer is in no way as bad as some people make out. No, he's obviously not as quick as Hulkenberg but that doesn't make him bad. At Spa he looked good to out-qualify Hulk before his car let him down, again. Today he was only 0.14s behind and could have beaten him if he hadn't taken too much kerb into the chicane.

I genuinely believe Hulk is one of the best drivers never to have a top seat, your worst nightmare as a teammate. Stick Kimi in that car instead and we'd probably be talking about how evenly matched Palmer is with a world Champion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Palmer is in no way as bad as some people make out. No, he's obviously not as quick as Hulkenberg but that doesn't make him bad. At Spa he looked good to out-qualify Hulk before his car let him down, again. Today he was only 0.14s behind and could have beaten him if he hadn't taken too much kerb into the chicane.

I genuinely believe Hulk is one of the best drivers never to have a top seat, your worst nightmare as a teammate. Stick Kimi in that car instead and we'd probably be talking about how evenly matched Palmer is with a world Champion.

I don't think Hulkenberg could do what he's done to Palmer with Kimi, but I do agree Palmer has a tough teammate, I just don't think he's good enough to warrant a seat in F1.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:42 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

lol are you kidding me ? Hulk holds the record for most races without a podium. Hulk has not been very lucky but is a decent driver at best. I will not put him even in top8. With Perez they were pretty close and so is Ocon. Sainz will give good competition to him though. Palmer getting destroyed by a mid range driver means he does not belong to F1 sadly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:34 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

lol are you kidding me ? Hulk holds the record for most races without a podium. Hulk has not been very lucky but is a decent driver at best. I will not put him even in top8. With Perez they were pretty close and so is Ocon. Sainz will give good competition to him though. Palmer getting destroyed by a mid range driver means he does not belong to F1 sadly

That would be a meaningful stat if Hülkenberg's team-mates had loads of podiums and race wins.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

That would be a meaningful stat if Hülkenberg's team-mates had loads of podiums and race wins.

Perez has 4 podiums in Force India while being paired with Hulk.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:47 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Wouldn't mind hearing what 8 drivers you are putting in front of Hulkenburg, and the record of most races without a podium just really highlights how unlucky he has been rather than any terminal lack of talent. You look at some of the cars he has been in.... before the resurgence of FI it wasn't exactly a list of fantastic ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm 

Hulkenberg and Sainz in the same car is going to be very entertaining to follow. Any predictions on who will get the upper hand?
I think the Hulk will be in front this year, as he has been in the team longer, but next year Sainz is going to give him a real run for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm 

That stats means that Hulk has been good enough survive in F1 so far but not quiet good enough to attract top teams. I guess in first few years if you can't make impression you need to be lucky to get into top3 teams.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:00 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Wouldn't mind hearing what 8 drivers you are putting in front of Hulkenburg, and the record of most races without a podium just really highlights how unlucky he has been rather than any terminal lack of talent. You look at some of the cars he has been in.... before the resurgence of FI it wasn't exactly a list of fantastic ones.

Not me that said it, but I feel it's fair.

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

They're all ahead of Hulk in my eyes, one or two may be debatable admittedly. But that is without Vandoorne, who I feel might be ahead, but not sure I've seen enough of him in F1 to put him ahead yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm 

Grosjean would be the big one i'd disagree with there, and I don't think Bottas has done too much down the years to suggest he is that much ahead of Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

Fair enough, I'm just not sure I've ever seen a real standout race for him. He probably has a higher performance floor than some, but his ceiling seems lower.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:42 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Top 3 teams drivers, then Alonso and Grosjean. After that there is a group of very close drivers. I will not be surprised if Sainz outperform him in Renault.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:45 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
That stats means that Hulk has been good enough survive in F1 so far but not quiet good enough to attract top teams. I guess in first few years if you can't make impression you need to be lucky to get into top3 teams.

I believe the Hulk was the first driver that Mercedes approached to replace Rosberg, being German may have helped, but Renault would not release him.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:46 pm 

Herb wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

They're all ahead of Hulk in my eyes, one or two may be debatable admittedly. But that is without Vandoorne, who I feel might be ahead, but not sure I've seen enough of him in F1 to put him ahead yet.

I wouldn't put Grosjean above the Hulk, I would say that Grosjean is declining stock.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:51 pm 

Reportedly Renault had to pay Palmer $5-7M to terminate his contract, although we may feel sorry for Palmer, being able to recover that kind of money at least means the season wasn't a total loss for him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:56 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Reportedly Renault had to pay Palmer $5-7M to terminate his contract, although we may feel sorry for Palmer, being able to recover that kind of money at least means the season wasn't a total loss for him.

That kind of money will buy you a good ride in Indy, he could do a lot worse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

About time Palmer was shown the door. Shame Kvyat is coming back though, he's just as bad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:07 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
About time Palmer was shown the door. Shame Kvyat is coming back though, he's just as bad.

There's no more junior Red Bull drivers in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Herb wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

I wouldn't put Grosjean above the Hulk, I would say that Grosjean is declining stock.

Agreed. Check out Hulk's performance against Gutierrez compared to Hulk's.

I think Grosjean's being found out TBH. Worse than Kimi, Barely better than Maldanado, brely better than Gutierrez.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:19 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Herb wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

Agreed. Check out Hulk's performance against Gutierrez compared to Hulk's.

I think Grosjean's being found out TBH. Worse than Kimi, Barely better than Maldanado, brely better than Gutierrez.

Not much better than KMag who was getting matched by Palmer in the second half of last season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:

OTH it gives TR a chance to compare him with Gasly before next season and potentially bring in another driver if Kyvat does not perform.

Last edited by mas on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Herb wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

Just replace Ro-Gro with Sainz and you have your list. Even Ocon is a driver I would take ahead of Hulk. 7 years without a podium DOES mean something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:27 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Herb wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Perez
Bottas
Grosjean

Just replace Ro-Gro with Sainz and you have your list. Even Ocon is a driver I would take ahead of Hulk. 7 years without a podium DOES mean something.

Well we will soon find out regarding Sainz and the Hulk.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm 

I think this makes sense. Palmer has had more than enough time to prove himself and he's not been up to standard. Buying him out of his contract sounds expensive but there is even more money up for grabs if they can get 5th in the constructors' championship (and 6th is certainly achievable, particularly if they deprive Toro Rosso of their main points-scorer).

Have Red Bull officially abandoned their young driver programme? I wonder what is to become of the Toro Rosso team if that is the case?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:44 pm 

j man wrote:
Have Red Bull officially abandoned their young driver programme? I wonder what is to become of the Toro Rosso team if that is the case?

Not according to Ted Kravitz - who basically seemed to start his own rumour last race that Werhlein would be moving to Toro Rosso,
but when he asked Pascal at Suzuka, he said it was the first he'd ever heard of it. Ted then said Helmet Marko had said it would go against the whole point of the Red Bull Driver program - which implies for now it's still in effect.

Even if RBR sell Toro Rosso, it just means they lose their F1 proving team - they still have young driver programs in the lower formulas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
7 years without a podium DOES mean something.

This. Exactly right. How anyone can be fan of Hulkenberg is absolutely mystifying to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:06 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

This. Exactly right. How anyone can be fan of Hulkenberg is absolutely mystifying to me.

It's possible to be a fan of a driver without thinking they're the best or fastest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:12 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

It's possible to be a fan of a driver without thinking they're the best or fastest.

Or even improving.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Or even improving.

Well, yeah. Extend that to teams. How many fans did Minardi have down the years, despite being absolutely nowhere for large swathes of their entire existence? Everyone loves an underdog, not that I think Hulkenberg is an underdog, just pretty unlucky with timing and circumstance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

I believe the Hulk was the first driver that Mercedes approached to replace Rosberg, being German may have helped, but Renault would not release him.

Huh, I never knew that

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

We're not all bandwagoners

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

I'm shocked this happened before the end of the season. It makes sense for Renault. I guess it means Gasly is definitely withdrawing from the Super Formula title chase

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm 

mcdo wrote:
I'm shocked this happened before the end of the season. It makes sense for Renault. I guess it means Gasly is definitely withdrawing from the Super Formula title chase

It appears so but I guess doing the series was just to keep him busy until a F1 seat became available?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:25 am 

mcdo wrote:

Sky F1 were reporting during the race today that Honda want Gasly to complete the Super Formula season. Given that Toro Rosso are switching to Honda next year I'm not so sure their request would be easily ignored.

No idea who Toro Rosso would look to bring in for the second seat in that case. Is Markus Winkelhock available?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Sky F1 were reporting during the race today that Honda want Gasly to complete the Super Formula season. Given that Toro Rosso are switching to Honda next year I'm not so sure their request would be easily ignored.

No idea who Toro Rosso would look to bring in for the second seat in that case. Is Markus Winkelhock available?

:o

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 pm 

j man wrote:

This season they had Gasly, Ticktum, Kari, Verhagen and Verschoor on their books. Gasly drops out because he has a Toro Rosso drive, Kari has been dropped officially for 2018, so they have Ticktum in GP3, and Verhagen and Verschoor in FR2.0 or F3.
It's not looking great for them for a while in terms of bringing talent through, even if it hasn't officially ended.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:

They mentioned Alexander Rossi as a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm 

I would like to see Kyvat and Buemi for one race ;).