2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Vettel has to be gutted, he would have won this.

You think? I doubt Ferrari had the race pace.

Today's warmer conditions were way more suitable for Ferrari. When Raikkonen showed so much speed, it's understood Vettel would've been much quicker.

The cooler conditions of yesterday weren't favourable for Ferrari.

Possibly, I'm using Kimi as my reference and believe Mercedes could have gone faster if needed so I'll admit I'm making assumptions and could very well be wrong.

A better way for me to word it would have been I doubt Ferrari have the race pace to challenge for the win. Perhaps Ferrari would have been a few tenths faster on race pace but when starting behind in a one stop race a few tenths isn't enough to be able to realistically challenge.

LKS1 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Curious that Max asks if he can overtake Hamilton due to him being a championship contender but dives down the inside of Vettel at every opportunity.

Vettel has made an enemy in the wrong place in Max IMO, not that it matters now but that may well have proved decisive in the championship.

I agree, that was a v odd radio request.

What was even more odd when Raikkonen was told that he could now push (when he was 18 seconds behind Bottas with 6 laps to go).

kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Ricciardo will need a change of underpants after that near miss

He needs to figure out how to beat his teammate. jeez, max is blowing him away again.

Unlucky to be on the outside for turn 1 on the 'supposed' better line - unlike last race where it was a major advantage to be on 1-3-5-etc due to the wet

Then Ocon clearly ILLEGALLY blocked Ricciardo (I mentioned it at the time earlier this thread) by moving again, and again, and again, and again - where everything after the first move should have been penalised - costing Dan lots of time and position

Would Dan have beaten Max - that's not so clear as position was king and after the start, Max was in the best position - but it would have been closer

And then Dan staying out cost him time - but that's a team thing and if positions were reversed, RBR would have done the same

Blowing away though - err no

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:01 am 

red_alert wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Ricciardo should be very worried. Verstappen is the real deal.

Worried about what? Out qualified teammate, finished one place behind. More points, a ton of podiums. Has first pick at Merc/Ferrari in 2019.

2nd pic unless he can start besting Max.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 am 

snippets from toto talking to sky.
hamiltons engine was managed from when seb retired.
there was no engine gremlins and was just cold tyres.

mathematical permutations for Austin.
if Lewis wins. he is champion if seb finnished 5th or lower.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 am 

F1Oz wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:

He needs to figure out how to beat his teammate. jeez, max is blowing him away again.

Unlucky to be on the outside for turn 1 on the 'supposed' better line - unlike last race where it was a major advantage to be on 1-3-5-etc due to the wet

Then Ocon clearly ILLEGALLY blocked Ricciardo (I mentioned it at the time earlier this thread) by moving again, and again, and again, and again - where everything after the first move should have been penalised - costing Dan lots of time and position

Would Dan have beaten Max - that's not so clear as position was king and after the start, Max was in the best position - but it would have been closer

And then Dan staying out cost him time - but that's a team thing and if positions were reversed, RBR would have done the same

Had it been illegal, he should've got a penalty! He didn't though. His 1st move was the one allowed & then he moved again to the left as he had to take the racing line to enter turn 1.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 am 

mcdo wrote:
Damn Fernando don't do that!

Alonso playing 'silly *inaudible*' - at best....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:04 am 

wire2004 wrote:

In Malaysia, Raikkonen had issues before the start & in this race, Vettel had. I think reliability is going to be a major concern for them till the last race.

All this after Ferrari had an overhaul of their quality control! 8O

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:04 am 

Bottas sounds like a broken man...very odd.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:05 am 

F1Oz wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Strange. I didn't see you calling for a penalty in Malaysia when Ricciardo weaved down the straight, and moved under braking defending against Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:06 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Curious that Max asks if he can overtake Hamilton due to him being a championship contender but dives down the inside of Vettel at every opportunity.

Vettel has made an enemy in the wrong place in Max IMO, not that it matters now but that may well have proved decisive in the championship.

I feel Max has more respect for Hamilton and very very little for Vettel. Hamilton he can still learn from and is at the moment mahbe the best driver on the grid.

You can also tell there is mutual respect already when looking at Hamilton having a chat with Max after the race.

Ricciardo is a great driver and will do fine. I do feel he knows it will be difficult to be the "top dog" in a team with Max. We will see how this year ends and how next year will go.

The one thing that I don't like too much is Ricciardo asking for attention when Max is speaking, like after the race with the press throwing water etc. It looks like fun and all but I feel thst if it was Max starting this it wouldn't be that funny for him. He is a great guy, but there id a time and place for certain things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
wire2004 wrote:

In Malaysia, Raikkonen had issues before the start & in this race, Vettel had. I think reliability is going to be a major concern for them till the last race.

apologies. it is not finnished that i should of put. it is finnishes bloody auto correct
It should read if Lewis wins in Austin. if seb is 5th or lower. Lewis is champion.

Last edited by wire2004 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
F1Oz wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Had it been illegal, he should've got a penalty! He didn't though. His 1st move was the one allowed & then he moved again to the left as he had to take the racing line to enter turn 1.

How many times have we seen illegal actions ignored?

Ocon moved right, then left, then more left, then right again at least) - at least 4 distinct moves - it was the most illegal I have seen since this rule was introduced - FIA are gutless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:08 am 

F1Oz wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
F1Oz wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:

How many times have we seen illegal actions ignored?

Ocon moved right, then left, then more left, then right again at least) - at least 4 distinct moves - it was the most illegal I have seen since this rule was introduced - FIA are gutless

I didn't see anything wrong with it. it wasn't importing nor dangerous. hard racing. that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:09 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Bottas sounds like a broken man...very odd.

The sort of questions he's been asked and the generally sympathetic and almost patronising approach toward him by reporters over the weekend can't be helping.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:09 am 

red_alert wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Ricciardo should be very worried. Verstappen is the real deal.

Worried about what? Out qualified teammate, finished one place behind. More points, a ton of podiums. Has first pick at Merc/Ferrari in 2019.

Has benefited from sheer better luck all season, cannot seem to stay with Verstappen during a race, and yes, finally outqualified Verstappen yesterday, but only after Redbull decided to run different downforce levels on both cars. I don't know, I would be worried if I were him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 am 

And what we saw from Bottas today, wow. Clearly number two driver now if he wasn't already.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 am 

Verstappen33 wrote:
And what we saw from Bottas today, wow. Clearly number two driver now if he wasn't already.

The tale of the 2 Finns!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 am 

Verstappen33 wrote:
Ricciardo is a great driver and will do fine. I do feel he knows it will be difficult to be the "top dog" in a team with Max. We will see how this year ends and how next year will go.

Max is making Dan look like a good driver rather than a great driver. Still plenty of good drivers have won more races and titles than great drivers. Vettel and Alonso, a case in point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:18 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
wire2004 wrote:

I said in an earlier post that Ferrari were pursuing speed (IMO) - which has understandably led to reliability problems.

We've seen this in previous seasons when a (slightly) slower team concentrate their development on speed - and reliability suffers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 am 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

Max is making Dan look like a good driver rather than a great driver. Still plenty of good drivers have won more races and titles than great drivers. Vettel and Alonso, a case in point.

If Ricciardo moves away from Max by going to a different team he will get more air. He beat Vettel before and can try to do it again. Vettel will not be happy with him in a team but only because he knows the pressure Ricciardo will bring.

I agree that some great drivers really are good drivers and are looking better than they are because of certain conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 am 

rivf1 wrote:
Lol mercedes needing to use team orders to beat a slower rb

I don't know how long you have been following autoracing. FYI, a driver whose tires are close to the end of their life moving over for a team mater who is fighting for the lead is not team orders.

If you want to know about team orders, study Ferrari. As a primer, read up up on the 2002 Austrian Grand Prix. A Ferrari classic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 am 

F1Oz wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I like that you keep the faith F1Oz, I really do, but sadly to me it's looking very much like Vettel/Webber 2.0.

I have to agree with Kleefton here. Dan needs to up his game and up it soon otherwise IMO he risks Ferrari and or Merc possibly considering other options.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:25 am 

Rosberg warmed into his role with the Sky team this weekend and did a solid and good job in the end - that sounds very Rosbergish, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am 

Verstappen33 wrote:
I agree that some great drivers really are good drivers and are looking better than they are because of certain conditions.

I dunno, greatness seems to flow from certain drivers. It's difficult to deny Alonso's greatness, his performance demotes Hamilton to "great on his day" or "very, very good". The only other driver that I can see greatness flowing from is Max although we have seen only a fraction of his potential.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am 

Invade wrote:
Rosberg warmed into his role with the Sky team this weekend and did a solid and good job in the end - that sounds very Rosbergish, doesn't it?

For sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:29 am 

Did Vettel take an extra engine last week in Malaysia meaning he will avoid a penalty as he will not have to take a new one in Austin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 am 

Invade wrote:

I was not thrilled to hear Rosberg was joining the Sky F1 team this weekend, but I have actually very much enjoyed his contributions. I especially liked how he didn't let any of Lazeby's usual hyperbole go unchallenged and I thought his battle with "for sure" was genuinely endearing too. All in all a big :thumbup: for Nico.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KMag again with some dodgy driving

Thought that was fine, as did Brundle

He hit Massa's car, the fine bit probably is that it's not something to concern the stewards

Massa hit K-Mag really. Turned in on him when Magnussen was alongside. Massa was to blame for the contact that's for sure.

I dont think so.

KMag right rear went of the track and he under-steered into Massa.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am 

Quote:
@adamcooperF1
VET has received a reprimand for failing to attend the national anthem on the grid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 am 

This interview with Ricc and Max is absolutely hilarious!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 am 

Clarky wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KMag again with some dodgy driving

Thought that was fine, as did Brundle

He hit Massa's car, the fine bit probably is that it's not something to concern the stewards

Massa hit K-Mag really. Turned in on him when Magnussen was alongside. Massa was to blame for the contact that's for sure.

I dont think so.

KMag right rear went of the track and he under-steered into Massa.

He left a cars width at all times. Massa just seemed to turn into the side of him. He had room.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:46 am 

Very impressed with how Max conducted his interview with Sky. He was very frank and mature, and pointed out that the traffic didn't cost him the win, because if the traffic hadn't been there then he wouldn't have caught Hamilton in the first place, because of the way the Mercedes was affected from following other cars he benefited from it more than he lost out.

It's of the most mature and honest interviews I've seen from a driver.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
wire2004 wrote:

That won't show results until next season probably. All the components in the current car were made weeks/months ago now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Very impressed with how Max conducted his interview with Sky. He was very frank and mature, and pointed out that the traffic didn't cost him the win, because if the traffic hadn't been there then he wouldn't have caught Hamilton in the first place, because of the way the Mercedes was affected from following other cars he benefited from it more than he lost out.

It's of the most mature and honest interviews I've seen from a driver.

Yes, good and frank interview. Funny that he suggested Bottas should have blocked him harder and held him up even longer to protect Lewis since he is the WDC challenger.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:54 am 

Clarky wrote:
Quote:
@adamcooperF1
VET has received a reprimand for failing to attend the national anthem on the grid

This is a ridiculous penalty, a fine would be suffice. A penalty that can result in a grid penalty for missing an anthem is not appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am 

lamo wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Quote:
@adamcooperF1

This is a ridiculous penalty, a fine would be suffice. A penalty that can result in a grid penalty for missing an anthem is not appropriate.

I wonder whether it was deliberately severe to set a precedent in order to deal with any potential negative publicity should Hamilton decide to take the knee in Austin, or at the very least deter him.

Clarky wrote:
Quote:
@adamcooperF1

Missing the national anthem gets punished? Wow how absurd!

lamo wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Quote:
@adamcooperF1

It never rains, eh. Though it seems to be a continuation of the theme where Vettel seems to be doing niggly little things that are technically infringements but not really a big deal; if you keep doing things like that, the stewards start to take notice as it all adds up. Wonder what his reason was for missing it?