planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet

Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:24 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah

Yes.

Nope

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am 

LOL.

In different words JAlli just more or less implied that he thought Lewis was a mug, but realises now he's a good guy.

OK, maybe that's a bit cynical - but you'll see what I mean when the press conferences are uploaded somewhere. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am 

Saw the reports of earthquake in Japan. Any more info?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 am 

Invade wrote:
LOL.

In different words JAlli just more or less implied that he thought Lewis was a mug, but realises now he's a good guy.

OK, maybe that's a bit cynical - but you'll see what I mean when the press conferences are uploaded somewhere. :twisted:

That's a bit of a stretch there mate...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 am 

Invade wrote:
Apparently, Lewis has said the car is a little bit like himself in nature (lol) and James Allison said about the car something like: "It is difficult, but it does not disobey the laws of physics."

'Me and the car I think have lots of things in common-it's got great potential but doesn't always want to do what you tell it to do.' LH.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 am 

Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah

Yes.

Nope

Jep. I can do this all day Zoue.

Please don't make me.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

nah

Yes.

Nope

Please don't make me.

But can you do it for your entire life?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

nah

Yes.

Nope

Please don't make me.

Please don't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 am 

Warheart01 wrote:

I am inclined to agree. This sums it up for me:

""While the Ferrari is quick everywhere, and has a much more level overall performance from race to race, the Mercedes is unpredictable and difficult to manage and, as a race car, it is probably on balance inferior to the Ferrari" (Andrew Benson)

Anyway, gearbox penalty for Bottas http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set ... d-penalty/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 am 

I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am 

pendulumeffect wrote:

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am 

Bottas to get a 5 place penalty for new gearbox:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set-for-five-place-grid-penalty/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 am 

SR1 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

I am inclined to agree. This sums it up for me:

""While the Ferrari is quick everywhere, and has a much more level overall performance from race to race, the Mercedes is unpredictable and difficult to manage and, as a race car, it is probably on balance inferior to the Ferrari" (Andrew Benson)

Anyway, gearbox penalty for Bottas http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set ... d-penalty/

He'll be sixth for sure in the race then...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am 

Mod Blue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
nah

Yes.

Nope

Please don't make me.

Please don't.

There's a new hotshot in town, here to clean the scum off these threads

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

The last 2 races?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 am 

Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

The last 2 races?

Singapore we never saw their race pace and Malaysia they didn't get pole (but still looked faster in the race). I don't see how the last two races go against my point?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

The last 2 races?

Singapore we never saw their race pace and Malaysia they didn't get pole (but still looked faster in the race). I don't see how the last two races go against my point?

Im asking if you are talking about the last 2 races that suggest Ferrari would be unstoppable in the race.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:25 am 

Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

The last 2 races?

Im asking if you are talking about the last 2 races that suggest Ferrari would be unstoppable in the race.

No I'm not suggesting that Ferrari will be unstoppable this weekend. I think this is a Mercedes circuit and weekend personally, but we will see.

My point was in reference to pendulumeffect's post, where Vettel would get pole and Hamilton overtake him on track. I'm just making the point that Ferrari tend to be stronger in the race than qualifying so if a Ferrari gets pole it's unlikely that Mercedes will have the race pace to compete on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am 

The reason I say Vettel to get pole is because Vettel will set up the car to try and get pole and bank on Ferrari's race pace to stay first through the race. LH on the otherhand is probably going to go for a conservative qualifying as he doesn't need to attack so much. However I think this is a Mercedes track, plenty of long straights, cool / wet conditions. I can see LH overtaking SV but not the other way around. LH has been super here in the recent past IMO especially in the wet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 am 

Mercedes biggest strength is 1 lap pace, if it is beaten in qualifying by Ferrari then its likely Mercedes has no chance in the race.
The only exception to that is Russia but even that was to do with Bottas getting track position at the start and I also think if Hamilton was on form that weekend he would have got pole and won. Mercedes had a better car.

Last edited by lamo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 am 

Is there much difference between a qualifying and race setup?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am 

pendulumeffect wrote:
The reason I say Vettel to get pole is because Vettel will set up the car to try and get pole and bank on Ferrari's race pace to stay first through the race. LH on the otherhand is probably going to go for a conservative qualifying as he doesn't need to attack so much. However I think this is a Mercedes track, plenty of long straights, cool / wet conditions. I can see LH overtaking SV but not the other way around. LH has been super here in the recent past IMO especially in the wet.

It would be very difficult to overtake with a lot of turbulent air in the mid speed corners don't you think? I reckon this is a race that will be won at turn one and hence a qualifying car is the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

cm97 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:

It would be very difficult to overtake with a lot of turbulent air in the mid speed corners don't you think? I reckon this is a race that will be won at turn one and hence a qualifying car is the way to go.

Depends if its a 1 or 2 stopper, if its 2 stops it gives the 2nd place man a few more options. He has 2 chances to undercut as well as the opportunity to run an alternative tyre for the middle stint (like Hamilton did to Vettel in Spain this year). A driver on an older soft vs a new SS might be able to pass. That is the only way I see a pass occurring in Japan between top cars.

If it is a 1 stopper, the leader just needs to find clean air and pit, then cruise to the end. This is what happened in Spa at the first stops, the moment there was clean air behind to pit into, Mercedes pitted. Ferrari could not pit an earlier - if they did they were coming out into traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way

It's more the fact that Vettel did it on the slower tyres, but then again it's just practice.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Apart from FP1.

It's more the fact that Vettel did it on the slower tyres, but then again it's just practice.

Vettel was as fast on softs as hamilton on supersofts but the ant Davidson was nonchalant about it just saying there was huge track evolution

Everyone will set the car up for qual. Can't remember the exact stat but basically no one wins round hear unless they start on the front row

Over the course of the season merc and Ferrari are very similar and track/condition dependent on which is superior.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

What's the delta around here between S and SS?.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm 

My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:

I have Vettel p1, hamilton p2 and Bottas p3.

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Usually it's around .5-.6?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Usually it's around .5-.6?

Cheers. :thumbup:

Hard to take much from FP1 with Ferrari apparently running lighter on their long run* as well but the Ferrari looked good riding on board.(*AMuS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 pm 

kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.

I thought that Bottas had a gearbox penalty?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm 

kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

I expect Bottas to fail spectacularly. And he's also got a 5 place penalty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 am 

Bottas not having an easy weekend so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:38 am 

Raikkonen crashes out as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 am 

Hamilton and Vettel shoo in for front row

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 am 

Fernando Alonso will receive a 35-place grid penalty at the Japanese Grand Prix after McLaren-Honda was forced to change his car's power unit overnight:
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20939879/honda-problems-result-alonso-grid-penalty-suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 am 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

I thought that Bottas had a gearbox penalty?

Yeah, i was talkinga bout the race results. I don't think the redbulls are going to be a problem here. Bottas should make the podium. It's ferrari vs merc all the way this weekend I feel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 am 

Raikkonen 5 place penalty
Bottas 5
Sainz 20
Palmer 20
Alonso 35

well...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:07 am 

Zazu wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Apart from FP1.

Vettel was as fast on softs as hamilton on supersofts but the ant Davidson was nonchalant about it just saying there was huge track evolution

Everyone will set the car up for qual. Can't remember the exact stat but basically no one wins round hear unless they start on the front row

Over the course of the season merc and Ferrari are very similar and track/condition dependent on which is superior.

Huge track evolution? I heard him say that and rewound. Hamilton set his time 4 minutes earlier. The delta between the SS and S is 0.7 apparently. Ferrari looked good in P1, not so much now.