planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20985
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet


Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20985
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah


Yes.

Nope


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1522
LOL.

In different words JAlli just more or less implied that he thought Lewis was a mug, but realises now he's a good guy.

OK, maybe that's a bit cynical - but you'll see what I mean when the press conferences are uploaded somewhere. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 523
Saw the reports of earthquake in Japan. Any more info?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 pm
Posts: 132
Invade wrote:
LOL.

In different words JAlli just more or less implied that he thought Lewis was a mug, but realises now he's a good guy.

OK, maybe that's a bit cynical - but you'll see what I mean when the press conferences are uploaded somewhere. :twisted:

That's a bit of a stretch there mate...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2519
Invade wrote:
Apparently, Lewis has said the car is a little bit like himself in nature (lol) and James Allison said about the car something like: "It is difficult, but it does not disobey the laws of physics."




'Me and the car I think have lots of things in common-it's got great potential but doesn't always want to do what you tell it to do.' LH.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 1306
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah


Yes.

Nope


Jep. I can do this all day Zoue.

Please don't make me.

_________________
Winner of the [Charging Hamilton Trophy] !
Winner of the [Dominant Hamilton Trophy] !

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: London
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah


Yes.

Nope


Jep. I can do this all day Zoue.

Please don't make me.


But can you do it for your entire life?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 45
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah


Yes.

Nope


Jep. I can do this all day Zoue.

Please don't make me.


Please don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 am
Posts: 167
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.


I am inclined to agree. This sums it up for me:

""While the Ferrari is quick everywhere, and has a much more level overall performance from race to race, the Mercedes is unpredictable and difficult to manage and, as a race car, it is probably on balance inferior to the Ferrari" (Andrew Benson)

Anyway, gearbox penalty for Bottas http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set ... d-penalty/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm
Posts: 320
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6751
pendulumeffect wrote:
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.


Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5214
Location: Mumbai, India
Bottas to get a 5 place penalty for new gearbox:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set-for-five-place-grid-penalty/

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8889
SR1 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.


I am inclined to agree. This sums it up for me:

""While the Ferrari is quick everywhere, and has a much more level overall performance from race to race, the Mercedes is unpredictable and difficult to manage and, as a race car, it is probably on balance inferior to the Ferrari" (Andrew Benson)

Anyway, gearbox penalty for Bottas http://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-set ... d-penalty/

He'll be sixth for sure in the race then...

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9717
Location: Ireland
Mod Blue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
nah


Yes.

Nope


Jep. I can do this all day Zoue.

Please don't make me.


Please don't.

There's a new hotshot in town, here to clean the scum off these threads

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4151
Location: LONDON...!
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

The last 2 races?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6751
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

The last 2 races?

Singapore we never saw their race pace and Malaysia they didn't get pole (but still looked faster in the race). I don't see how the last two races go against my point?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4151
Location: LONDON...!
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

The last 2 races?

Singapore we never saw their race pace and Malaysia they didn't get pole (but still looked faster in the race). I don't see how the last two races go against my point?

Im asking if you are talking about the last 2 races that suggest Ferrari would be unstoppable in the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6751
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:
I reckon SV will take pole and LH will take the win and overtake SV on track.

I'd be pretty shocked if that came to be. Ferrari are almost always better in the race than qualifying, if a Ferrari gets pole it should be unstoppable in race pace based on what we've seen so far.

The last 2 races?

Singapore we never saw their race pace and Malaysia they didn't get pole (but still looked faster in the race). I don't see how the last two races go against my point?

Im asking if you are talking about the last 2 races that suggest Ferrari would be unstoppable in the race.

No I'm not suggesting that Ferrari will be unstoppable this weekend. I think this is a Mercedes circuit and weekend personally, but we will see.

My point was in reference to pendulumeffect's post, where Vettel would get pole and Hamilton overtake him on track. I'm just making the point that Ferrari tend to be stronger in the race than qualifying so if a Ferrari gets pole it's unlikely that Mercedes will have the race pace to compete on Sunday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm
Posts: 320
The reason I say Vettel to get pole is because Vettel will set up the car to try and get pole and bank on Ferrari's race pace to stay first through the race. LH on the otherhand is probably going to go for a conservative qualifying as he doesn't need to attack so much. However I think this is a Mercedes track, plenty of long straights, cool / wet conditions. I can see LH overtaking SV but not the other way around. LH has been super here in the recent past IMO especially in the wet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
Mercedes biggest strength is 1 lap pace, if it is beaten in qualifying by Ferrari then its likely Mercedes has no chance in the race.
The only exception to that is Russia but even that was to do with Bottas getting track position at the start and I also think if Hamilton was on form that weekend he would have got pole and won. Mercedes had a better car.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Last edited by lamo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20985
Is there much difference between a qualifying and race setup?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 636
Location: Australia
pendulumeffect wrote:
The reason I say Vettel to get pole is because Vettel will set up the car to try and get pole and bank on Ferrari's race pace to stay first through the race. LH on the otherhand is probably going to go for a conservative qualifying as he doesn't need to attack so much. However I think this is a Mercedes track, plenty of long straights, cool / wet conditions. I can see LH overtaking SV but not the other way around. LH has been super here in the recent past IMO especially in the wet.

It would be very difficult to overtake with a lot of turbulent air in the mid speed corners don't you think? I reckon this is a race that will be won at turn one and hence a qualifying car is the way to go.

_________________
#Keep Fighting Michael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
cm97 wrote:
pendulumeffect wrote:
The reason I say Vettel to get pole is because Vettel will set up the car to try and get pole and bank on Ferrari's race pace to stay first through the race. LH on the otherhand is probably going to go for a conservative qualifying as he doesn't need to attack so much. However I think this is a Mercedes track, plenty of long straights, cool / wet conditions. I can see LH overtaking SV but not the other way around. LH has been super here in the recent past IMO especially in the wet.

It would be very difficult to overtake with a lot of turbulent air in the mid speed corners don't you think? I reckon this is a race that will be won at turn one and hence a qualifying car is the way to go.


Depends if its a 1 or 2 stopper, if its 2 stops it gives the 2nd place man a few more options. He has 2 chances to undercut as well as the opportunity to run an alternative tyre for the middle stint (like Hamilton did to Vettel in Spain this year). A driver on an older soft vs a new SS might be able to pass. That is the only way I see a pass occurring in Japan between top cars.

If it is a 1 stopper, the leader just needs to find clean air and pit, then cruise to the end. This is what happened in Spa at the first stops, the moment there was clean air behind to pit into, Mercedes pitted. Ferrari could not pit an earlier - if they did they were coming out into traffic.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet


Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way

It's more the fact that Vettel did it on the slower tyres, but then again it's just practice.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 103
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet


Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way

It's more the fact that Vettel did it on the slower tyres, but then again it's just practice.


Vettel was as fast on softs as hamilton on supersofts but the ant Davidson was nonchalant about it just saying there was huge track evolution


Everyone will set the car up for qual. Can't remember the exact stat but basically no one wins round hear unless they start on the front row


Over the course of the season merc and Ferrari are very similar and track/condition dependent on which is superior.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3614
What's the delta around here between S and SS?.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1629
My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 2897
ReservoirDog wrote:
My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.


I have Vettel p1, hamilton p2 and Bottas p3.

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 2897
Lotus49 wrote:
What's the delta around here between S and SS?.


Usually it's around .5-.6?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3614
kleefton wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
What's the delta around here between S and SS?.


Usually it's around .5-.6?


Cheers. :thumbup:

Hard to take much from FP1 with Ferrari apparently running lighter on their long run* as well but the Ferrari looked good riding on board.(*AMuS)

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23897
kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.


I have Vettel p1, hamilton p2 and Bottas p3.

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.

I thought that Bottas had a gearbox penalty?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1629
kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.


I have Vettel p1, hamilton p2 and Bottas p3.

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.


I expect Bottas to fail spectacularly. And he's also got a 5 place penalty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5214
Location: Mumbai, India
Bottas not having an easy weekend so far.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5214
Location: Mumbai, India
Raikkonen crashes out as well.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 103
Hamilton and Vettel shoo in for front row


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5214
Location: Mumbai, India
Fernando Alonso will receive a 35-place grid penalty at the Japanese Grand Prix after McLaren-Honda was forced to change his car's power unit overnight:
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20939879/honda-problems-result-alonso-grid-penalty-suzuka

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 2897
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
My money's on a Vettel pole and win. Hamilton 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.


I have Vettel p1, hamilton p2 and Bottas p3.

The long run data seems to favor Ferrari, but the pundits are saying that Merc were running an older spec PU at a much detuned state, whereas Ferrari was running the spec 4. Also Vettel was apparently running lower fuel than Hamilton. Not sure how they know so much though. This isn't a particularly strong track for Lewis, hence the main reason why I think Vettel will grab pole, as he is quite good around here.

I thought that Bottas had a gearbox penalty?


Yeah, i was talkinga bout the race results. I don't think the redbulls are going to be a problem here. Bottas should make the podium. It's ferrari vs merc all the way this weekend I feel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 103
Raikkonen 5 place penalty
Bottas 5
Sainz 20
Palmer 20
Alonso 35

well...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8742
Zazu wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet


Apart from FP1.

You think? Hamilton was leading it for much of practice until Vette pumped in a quicker one right at the end. Not sure you can read too much from that either way

It's more the fact that Vettel did it on the slower tyres, but then again it's just practice.


Vettel was as fast on softs as hamilton on supersofts but the ant Davidson was nonchalant about it just saying there was huge track evolution


Everyone will set the car up for qual. Can't remember the exact stat but basically no one wins round hear unless they start on the front row


Over the course of the season merc and Ferrari are very similar and track/condition dependent on which is superior.


Huge track evolution? I heard him say that and rewound. Hamilton set his time 4 minutes earlier. The delta between the SS and S is 0.7 apparently. Ferrari looked good in P1, not so much now.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group