RACE DISTANCE: 307.471 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:31.540
By Kimi Raikkonen (2005)

Tyres:
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre
White-marked medium tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1: Felipe Massa (Williams), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Lance Stroll (Williams)
Part 2: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren), Pascal Wehrlein (Sauber)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:31 pm 

Starting with some good news!

Vettel won't need a new gearbox as his gearbox didn't suffer any damage in Malaysia:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41489132

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm 

Are those hats to stop them blowing away in typhoon season by providing them with 3x downforce?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Starting with some good news!

Vettel won't need a new gearbox as his gearbox didn't suffer any damage in Malaysia:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41489132

Depends on who you ask. :]

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Are those hats to stop them blowing away in typhoon season by providing them with 3x downforce?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 am 

Tyre pressures are higher, what's the track temp likely to be do we know?. If it's low then Mercedes should be looking good.

Pressures
Front-22.5
Rear-20.5
http://f1pressarea.pirelli.com/wp-conte ... /37524.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 am 

Never seen rain stats like that before - 90% chance of rain on Friday for like 15 hours straight. Can't be right

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weath ... e&ie=UTF-8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 am 

Damn. Friday could be a washout.

Probably not going to have much of an idea on the competitive order till qualifying. Looks like it's going to get warmer on Sunday so maybe another Malaysia for Merc where it's fine over a lap but come race time their tyres might struggle?.

Keeps it interesting anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 am 

On various sites it seems rain all through the day with very few breaks in it. Looks like a wash out. Saturday also might catch some rain (unlikely though). Sunday seems dry, temperatues around 27-28. Malaysia was 32-33 on race day and I believe it dropped to around 30 during qualifying under clouds when the Mercedes weren't too bad. Temperatures shouldn't be the problem, but Ferrari's new suspension and new engine 4 might be.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 am 

Nice info on the temps in Malaysia, lamo. :thumbup:

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
They're being trialled - publicly - before a decision is made whether to fit them to Alonso's and Vandoorne's helmets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am 

I'm a Hamilton fan, but I really like the fact that we don't have a clue what the Mercedes will be like. Has Lewis ever had a full season without a mechanical DNF?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:54 am 

TedStriker wrote:
Has Lewis ever had a full season without a mechanical DNF?

2007, 2008, 2009, 2013?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 am 

Both Mercedes drivers will be using the new aero package on Friday in Suzuka. Apparently some of the upgrades can bring at least a tenth.

Temperatures will be rising on Sunday and Suzuka has an old, very rough asphalt with a lot of grip.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 am 

I'm hoping for a Hamilton pole, win and that he retains the WDC lead, as usual. I'll admit I'm a bit worried though, Mercedes seem to have dropped quite alot of pace the last two races to both Ferrari and Red Bull. Also with their longer wheelbase I think they might struggle on a track like Suzuka?

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am 

Mercedes long wheelbase is made for circuits like Suzuka, Spa and Silverstone.

They have to be the favourites here based on what happened around those two circuits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am 

Well it's certainly the most intrigued I've been so far this season as I have doubts that Mercedes will be the best team even on a track that will supposedly suit them a lot better than Singapore and Malaysia and also believe Red Bull will continue to be competitive and be able to mix it up at 2-3 of the last 5 races of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am 

KingVoid wrote:

They have to be the favourites here based on what happened around those two circuits.

You sure about Suzuka? It's quite narrow and twisty, shouldn't that favour cars with a shorter wheelbase?

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

You sure about Suzuka? It's quite narrow and twisty, shouldn't that favour cars with a shorter wheelbase?

Don't think the width of the track has any negative effects on the LWB. Most of the corners are very high speed. Onlyt two corners are what you would call slow speed whereFerrari will definitely have a clear edge. The rest of the track should favor Mercedes, but we don't know how much Merc has lost with their last upgrade and how much Ferrari has gained. My guess is that it will be really close, with Vettel or Hamilton grabbing pole, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 am 

Nico Rosberg joins Sky Sports F1 for the Japanese GP
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... apanese-gp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Its the technical version of the foil hat brigade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:13 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Don't think the width of the track has any negative effects on the LWB. Most of the corners are very high speed. Onlyt two corners are what you would call slow speed whereFerrari will definitely have a clear edge. The rest of the track should favor Mercedes, but we don't know how much Merc has lost with their last upgrade and how much Ferrari has gained. My guess is that it will be really close, with Vettel or Hamilton grabbing pole, but we shall see.

I think it will be very competitive between the top3 teams. The corners arent highspeed like Spa, theyre 3rd and 4th gear and the track reminds me of Hungary. iirc Kimi goes well round here and has looked good last few races. Might not be for the winners but expect clear team orders here

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 pm 

Suzuka is nothing like Hungary ffs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 pm 

The best comparison is Silverstone.

News reports have Ferrari bringing significant upgrades. Mercedes might be in trouble. If they are blown away again, it's cause for concern.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:46 pm 

Invade wrote:

Gee that's a lot like Trump joining CNN. Prepare for Ted to ambush him with rubbish questions/claims.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:41 pm 

Is it raining in Suzuka currently?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 pm 

Mate live in Nagoya (20km away) said rain today, overcast tomorrow. Unsure about Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
Suzuka is nothing like Hungary ffs.

I think the corners in sector 1 are similar to Hungary. Most of the other high speed 'corners' are just flat out

Ferrari look very good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:56 am 

As expected Ferrari (Vettel) looking strong!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 am 

Any advantage Merc ever had has been wiped out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 am 

Zazu wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I think it will be very competitive between the top3 teams. The corners arent highspeed like Spa, theyre 3rd and 4th gear and the track reminds me of Hungary. iirc Kimi goes well round here and has looked good last few races. Might not be for the winners but expect clear team orders here

The senna S's are definitely all high speed, taken in 5th or 6th gear. This year's cars will probably do them in 6th and 7th. The only slow corners are the hairpin and the Casio chicane, the Spoon curve can be considered medium speed (4th gear) but again, this year's cars might change that. All in all, a much faster circuit than Hungary.

This is a track that should have favored the Mercedes earlier in the year, but it looks like Ferrari has outdevelopped them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:41 am 

kleefton wrote:
Zazu wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

The senna S's are definitely all high speed, taken in 5th or 6th gear. This year's cars will probably do them in 6th and 7th. The only slow corners are the hairpin and the Casio chicane, the Spoon curve can be considered medium speed (4th gear) but again, this year's cars might change that. All in all, a much faster circuit than Hungary.

This is a track that should have favored the Mercedes earlier in the year, but it looks like Ferrari has outdevelopped them.

It's very similar to Silverstone in terms of the mix of corners. Merc should be going well here. If Ferrari are ahead I think it's safe to say they are genuinely better than Merc ATM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:40 am 

Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:48 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari have (is it have had, or has had btw?) had the best overall package the whole season. Mercedes has been quicker at a few tracks but always been harder on the tires and more difficult to set up.

nah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Zazu wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

It's very similar to Silverstone in terms of the mix of corners. Merc should be going well here. If Ferrari are ahead I think it's safe to say they are genuinely better than Merc ATM.

still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:00 am 

Zoue wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

nah

Yes.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 am 

Everyone knew Mercedes were gong to struggle in Singapore.

Ferrari always go well at Malaysia even when not the fastest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 am 

Zoue wrote:
still really early days but so far nothing points to an advantage. Yet

Apart from FP1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 am 

Invade wrote:

Ok will have to watch the Sky coverage this weekend then, maybe Nico's presence will tone down a bit the unbearable Lewis love. :thumbup:

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am 

Covalent wrote:
Invade wrote:

Ok will have to watch the Sky coverage this weekend then, maybe Nico's presence will tone down a bit the unbearable Lewis love. :thumbup:

Yep - I'm very much looking forward to it. He'll be there for qualifying too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 am 

Apparently, Lewis has said the car is a little bit like himself in nature (lol) and James Allison said about the car something like: "It is difficult, but it does not disobey the laws of physics."