planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 pm 

Valtteri Bottas says he needs to take a "good look in the mirror" but how long will Mercedes give him to sort himself out?

I would post the link but it's easy to find.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:44 pm 

Well he won't be replaced this year and he has a contract for next year. However if it is not sorted during next year well Wehrlein and Kubica are currently free.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:51 pm 

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he only got a 1 year extension to coincide with the availability of Max and Daniel at Red Bull.

An ongoing story of poor form vs Hamilton will only help Mercedes wash off any negative PR of not renewing him into 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

Thing about bottas is that hamilton doesn't seem to be concerned with him at all, unlike previous teammates. You dont get the sense that he fears bottas can challenge him at all ever. That is not a good omen for bottas in the future because the mercedes bosses believe that hamilton needs to be pushed by his teammates.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:16 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he only got a 1 year extension to coincide with the availability of Max and Daniel at Red Bull.

An ongoing story of poor form vs Hamilton will only help Mercedes wash off any negative PR of not renewing him into 2019.

Max isn't available at the end of next year.

I think with Ricciardo being available though and Ocon and Wehrlein having another year under their belts, they'd be the obvious contenders for the seat at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm 

I thin Bottas is lucky Hamilton was not on top form at the start of the year. Flip the season round and I'm not sure he's getting resigned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:12 pm 

I don't think there was any real alternative this year. Even Williams resorted to un-retiring Massa.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:19 pm 

I'm not sure what has happened to Val. I genuinely thought he was in with a shout of winning the title. He's gone backwards ever since Hamilton gifted him the place back. I wonder if something happened inside Mercedes after Hamilton gave up those three points.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
I'm not sure what has happened to Val. I genuinely thought he was in with a shout of winning the title. He's gone backwards ever since Hamilton gifted him the place back. I wonder if something happened inside Mercedes after Hamilton gave up those three points.

Bottas has been slower than Hamilton in the vast majority of the season, all that has happened is that Hamilton is no longer having any dodgy weekends which kept things relatively close for Bottas.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 11th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Bottas has been slower than Hamilton in the vast majority of the season, all that has happened is that Hamilton is no longer having any dodgy weekends which kept things relatively close for Bottas.

I really think it's a combination of Mercedes being unhappy with the switch back, and also the team orders now being in effect. I said when Lauda declared they should focus on helping Hamilton win the title with team orders that it risked demotivating Valtteri.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:08 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

I really think it's a combination of Mercedes being unhappy with the switch back, and also the team orders now being in effect. I said when Lauda declared they should focus on helping Hamilton win the title with team orders that it risked demotivating Valtteri.

This type of absurd and ridiculous comment adds nothing to the conversation. You've developed quite the track record for this type of nonsense in a relatively short time in the forum...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:22 pm 

mas wrote:
Well he won't be replaced this year and he has a contract for next year. However if it is not sorted during next year well Wehrlein and Kubica are currently free.

I predict that he will be replaced by Ricciardo in 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Thing about bottas is that hamilton doesn't seem to be concerned with him at all, unlike previous teammates. You dont get the sense that he fears bottas can challenge him at all ever. That is not a good omen for bottas in the future because the mercedes bosses believe that hamilton needs to be pushed by his teammates.

I think there is also a slight advantage in this. Hamilton sems to get on better with Bottas. And even last year, Rosberg and Hamilton tangled twice. Bottas may not be as good as Rosberg just yet but he certainly does a good job at keeping out of Hamilton's way. This can be a good and bad thing though. I think the fact that they seem more relaxed as team mates has to be an advantage in a way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 pm 

I know keep trying to defend Bottas, but I think I'm going to have to again. I know Mercedes is a top team, But I still think it is a bit unreasonable to say Bottas isn't or won't be good enough for what the team need. For all we know, if Verstappen had gone there this year instead of Bottas, he may not have had the smoothest of years as we don't know how he would cope with changing to a totally different team. I think we should wait until well into next year before we judge Bottas. I think it is unfair to compare him against Hamilton. Many say Hamilton is the best and that he is truly outstanding. If he so clearly stands out from the rest, there has to be a large gap between him and the others. And as there are certainly a few drivers that are better than Bottas, why is it that surprising that the gaps are sometimes as big as they are? I don't think that should mean Bottas is poor. He's just clearly not on Hamilton's level and not a sgood as Rosberg. But when Rosberg was up against Hamilton, he was already experience with the team as he'd been with them since 2010. I'm sure this helps drmatically. But he didn't manage to beat Hamilton until his 7th year with the team and even that was down to bad luck on Hamilton's side. But Hamilton has now been with the team for 5 years, and next year, it could be possible that Bottas may improve enough for Mercedes to sign him for another year or possibly more. You can tell the reason why they did only give him a years extension. But there is nothing saying that Bottas won't improve and make them keep him instead of looking for others if he's much better next year. I do think that all drivers can build on their performance if they are in a team for longer. And as Bottas is against Hamilton, I really can't say he's doing a bad job. I'm pretty sure he'll get better next year. But weather it will be enough to make Mercedes want to keep him, I don't know.

Usually if Bottas does have poor form in qualifying, he does make up for it in the races. And his championship position really isn't that bad considering the drivers he's fighting with a lot of the time are Hamilton and Vettel. I think it's obvious that he's still overall quite a bit better than Kimi, but Vettel and Hamilton are clearly quite a lot better. But was that really not to be expected? If we are saying Bottas is poor now, then by Hamilton's standards, he must have had some really poor race weekends near the start of the season.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:51 pm 

Bottas has been off it but Hamilton has been on it which makes things look worse. We know that Hamilton can get on runs where he makes his team-mate look ordinary, as can the other top drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mas wrote:

I predict that he will be replaced by Ricciardo in 2019.

I don't know why but I just can't envisage Ricciardo in Merc overalls. I can totally picture him in red

Alonso in 2007 took ages to get used to

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:51 pm 

mas wrote:

The thing is, Wehrlein has only looked marginally better than Ericsson overall this season. Even though Wehrlian qualifies ahead much more often, their average time gap mid way through the season was tiny. Ericsson has had more incidents, but I'd say Wehrlein race pace has only been slightly better. I don't think Wehrlein is even close to Bottas at the moment. But he could improve.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mas wrote:

The thing is, Wehrlein has only looked marginally better than Ericsson overall this season. Even though Wehrlian qualifies ahead much more often, their average time gap mid way through the season was tiny. Ericsson has had more incidents, but I'd say Wehrlein race pace has only been slightly better. I don't think Wehrlein is even close to Bottas at the moment. But he could improve.

I would say that at worse Wehrlein is probably two tenths shy of Bottas with a lot more Potential. One will be driving a Merc next year the other out of F1. But thems the breaks as they say. I rather thin the Mercedes flatters Bottas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I think there is also a slight advantage in this. Hamilton sems to get on better with Bottas. And even last year, Rosberg and Hamilton tangled twice. Bottas may not be as good as Rosberg just yet but he certainly does a good job at keeping out of Hamilton's way. This can be a good and bad thing though. I think the fact that they seem more relaxed as team mates has to be an advantage in a way.

It is an advantage now, because Ferrari basically has the same problem, with Raikonnen massively underpoerforming. But there is a Redbull or possibly Mclaren challenge looming next year. Merc can't afford to have a guy that is often more than half a second off the pace in the second car if they want to fight for the Constructor championship.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I know keep trying to defend Bottas, but I think I'm going to have to again. I know Mercedes is a top team, But I still think it is a bit unreasonable to say Bottas isn't or won't be good enough for what the team need. For all we know, if Verstappen had gone there this year instead of Bottas, he may not have had the smoothest of years as we don't know how he would cope with changing to a totally different team. I think we should wait until well into next year before we judge Bottas. I think it is unfair to compare him against Hamilton. Many say Hamilton is the best and that he is truly outstanding. If he so clearly stands out from the rest, there has to be a large gap between him and the others. And as there are certainly a few drivers that are better than Bottas, why is it that surprising that the gaps are sometimes as big as they are? I don't think that should mean Bottas is poor. He's just clearly not on Hamilton's level and not a sgood as Rosberg. But when Rosberg was up against Hamilton, he was already experience with the team as he'd been with them since 2010. I'm sure this helps drmatically. But he didn't manage to beat Hamilton until his 7th year with the team and even that was down to bad luck on Hamilton's side. But Hamilton has now been with the team for 5 years, and next year, it could be possible that Bottas may improve enough for Mercedes to sign him for another year or possibly more. You can tell the reason why they did only give him a years extension. But there is nothing saying that Bottas won't improve and make them keep him instead of looking for others if he's much better next year. I do think that all drivers can build on their performance if they are in a team for longer. And as Bottas is against Hamilton, I really can't say he's doing a bad job. I'm pretty sure he'll get better next year. But weather it will be enough to make Mercedes want to keep him, I don't know.

Usually if Bottas does have poor form in qualifying, he does make up for it in the races. And his championship position really isn't that bad considering the drivers he's fighting with a lot of the time are Hamilton and Vettel. I think it's obvious that he's still overall quite a bit better than Kimi, but Vettel and Hamilton are clearly quite a lot better. But was that really not to be expected? If we are saying Bottas is poor now, then by Hamilton's standards, he must have had some really poor race weekends near the start of the season.

Not long ago you were talking him up as a challanger for the title and Hamilton. I think that was unrealistic, this was only a few races ago. Now your position has shifted to seeing him as more of a 2nd driver - then in that context he isn't doing to bad of a job. Especially points wise, there isn't much more room for any 2nd driver to have scored any more points. Performance wise he is a little bit too far behind some weekends.

You have even dropped your "equal or possibly better than Rosberg" so fair play for updated your opinion as the season goes on. He could still come good.

Personally, if he is at the same level next year then I would prefer a new challenge for Hamilton. Ricciardo would be an excellent replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:31 pm 

There's a reason he's only on a 1 year deal. He's doing the job adequately at the moment - picking up enough points to win the WCC, whilst also not challenging Hamilton which helps with the team dynamic. I've said before that I think he's keeping the seat warm for Ocon to take over in 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:17 am 

I think he needs to have a dynamite 2018 to be there in 2019, and even then it may not be enough if either RBR driver wants that seat. DanyRic is out of contract, and Max will 110% have clauses in his contract around RBR's performance in the same way Vettel did (and just about all elite sportspeople do)

The third name I'll throw out there is Ocon. Rough around the edges at this stage, hasn't always played nice with Checo but he just has something, doesn't he. 2019 MAY be too soon to throw into the deep end but I daresay he's the one Mercedes want to have in their car early next decade at the latest.

Wehrlein is battling to stay in F1, he won't be getting the keys to the Merc any time soon. Kubica is too much of a risk with his probable physical limitations, and honestly there's no upside to signing him now over Ricciardo/Ocon given how long he has been out of the game now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:10 am 

JackAttack_19 wrote:
I think he needs to have a dynamite 2018 to be there in 2019, and even then it may not be enough if either RBR driver wants that seat. DanyRic is out of contract, and Max will 110% have clauses in his contract around RBR's performance in the same way Vettel did (and just about all elite sportspeople do)

The third name I'll throw out there is Ocon. Rough around the edges at this stage, hasn't always played nice with Checo but he just has something, doesn't he. 2019 MAY be too soon to throw into the deep end but I daresay he's the one Mercedes want to have in their car early next decade at the latest.

Wehrlein is battling to stay in F1, he won't be getting the keys to the Merc any time soon. Kubica is too much of a risk with his probable physical limitations, and honestly there's no upside to signing him now over Ricciardo/Ocon given how long he has been out of the game now.

I really do get that gut feeling that he's got that extra gear the top guys have but he hasn't really shown it has he? He hasn't been any better than Perez for the most part. I think this is still sort of an extension of his rookie year so I don't really want to make any judgement but next year will be big for him. He needs to firmly establish the upper hand in that matchup. Only then would it make sense to bring him to the works team. They will likely have their pick of the Red Bull drivers next year so Ocon will need to really impress if he wants that seat. I actually doubt he'll get it. For me, he seems like a Hulkenburg-level driver who is just missing something.

The truth is that as long as Raikkonen is at Ferrari, Mercedes don't need anything more than Bottas in that other seat. In fact, a better driver would hurt them in the WDC. I actually suspect they will wait to see what Ferrari does next year before signing someone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 am 

Just a thought... Why not Nico Hulkemberg? He's missing something? Yes, a top car?

He's fast, he's German. He's steady if that's what you want. He's experienced. And in a top car could turn out to be a top contender also who knows. At the very worst he'll be a more than capable second driver. He will NOT rock the boat or cause problems.

I do wonder why he's not a consideration apparently

Last edited by justmoi on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:52 am 

justmoi wrote:
Just a thought... Why not Nico Hulkemberg? He's missing something? Yes, a top car?

He's fast, he's German. He's steady if that's what you want. He's experienced. And in a top car could turn out to be a top contender also who knows. At worst he'll be a more than capable second driver at the very worst. He will NOT rock the boat or cause problems.

Firstly, Hulk is contracted to Renault. Secondly, Perez deserves a shot first before Hulk. If you were to compare their driving skills, Perez is much more superior. Hulk only scores better than Perez in wet weather conditions & 1 lap pace.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:27 am 

He needs to be a lot closer but he's got his contract so he wont be nervous. As sandman said because Ferrari have gone with Kimi it means Mercedes best bet is to back Lewis and have a driver good enough to beat Kimi and take the odd win away from Seb than it is to have a line up like RB and take points away from Lewis. They can win both titles this way rather than bleed points in the wdc the other way.

That wont change until either Renault get close enough to bring in the RB boys to the mix or Ferrari strengthen their driver line up. It'll be interesting to see what happens next summer and who pulls the trigger first for probably Dan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:27 am 

justmoi wrote:

He's fast, he's German. He's steady if that's what you want. He's experienced. And in a top car could turn out to be a top contender also who knows. At the very worst he'll be a more than capable second driver. He will NOT rock the boat or cause problems.

Beaten by Perez who i considered not quite good enough. IMO both are better than Bottas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
He needs to be a lot closer but he's got his contract so he wont be nervous. As sandman said because Ferrari have gone with Kimi it means Mercedes best bet is to back Lewis and have a driver good enough to beat Kimi and take the odd win away from Seb than it is to have a line up like RB and take points away from Lewis. They can win both titles this way rather than bleed points in the wdc the other way.

That wont change until either Renault get close enough to bring in the RB boys to the mix or Ferrari strengthen their driver line up. It'll be interesting to see what happens next summer and who pulls the trigger first for probably Dan.

Mostly agree - but I can't see either Ferrari or Merc. employing a driver that may well genuinely challenge their No. 1 drivers.

But I'd love to be proven wrong :-P .

My favourite option would be for Ferrari to replace Kimi with Alonso/Merc. to replace Bottas with Max and Dan to stay at RBR (in an equally competitive car).

Sadly, this competitive line-up is just a fantasy for all the obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 am 

LKS1 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Mostly agree - but I can't see either Ferrari or Merc. employing a driver that may well genuinely challenge their No. 1 drivers.

But I'd love to be proven wrong :-P .

My favourite option would be for Ferrari to replace Kimi with Alonso/Merc. to replace Bottas with Max and Dan to stay at RBR (in an equally competitive car).

Sadly, this competitive line-up is just a fantasy for all the obvious reasons.

Yeah, I think it's clear the Ferrari door is very firmly closed to Alonso, as is Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am 

Come on people. Don't you think this Mercedes "upgrade" has been a massive failure? It is rare that Bottas is off the pace the whole race. In fact, I don't know if any races have been like that this year. He may not be at his best, but the fact that Perez is managing similar times to Bottas I think somehow indicates Mercedes's upgrade was a big downgrade.Even though he had 2 attemsps in Q3, he was the only driver not to improve. And as some mentioned here. When Toto was asked about about the difference between Hamilton and Bottas, he looked so uncomfortable you could just tell he knew the team hadn't come up with the best of upgrades. While I think Bottas is certianly partly responsible fore his performance today, I doubt it is just to do with him today. That difference is just got too big so early to make this realistic somehow.

But lets be honest, he had the best start of the top guys and helped stop Ricciardo from getting much closer behind Hamilton. He also made is a little harder for Vettel. So given the situation, I think he's still doing a reasonable job. But I think Mercedes need to look at this and concider putting Bottas back on the previous setup.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
justmoi wrote:

Beaten by Perez who i considered not quite good enough. IMO both are better than Bottas.

Perez and Hulkenberg have both made much bigger mistakes than any Bottas has made this year. Perez was really messy in Monaco. He also was really messy in Spa and collected Penalties in Both. Hulkenberg collected 2 penalties in China as well as 4 penalty points. He then crashed into the wall in Baku. Bottas may have been involven in incidents, but he wasn't actually to blame for any of them. And he also recoverd very well from a couple of them. I think it is pretty clear that Bottas is a level above Perez and Hulkenberg. He's made way less mistakes than both of these drivers over his career. The fact that Hulkenberg hasn't managed a single podium to me also gives a little evidence he isn't as good as Bottas. He has had his oppertunities I'm sure.

I guess everyone can have their opinions though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 am 

He is 3rd in championship and only 25points behind Vettel so he is doing fine. I think car is not suiting him well also Mercedes seems to lacking grip especially in Singapore and here in Sepang as well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:50 am 

Bottas started this season quite well IMO but (especially after reading this thread) his stock has taken quite a nosedive recently. He's still got time to turn things around but if I was him I would be somewhat worried. The chase for e.g. Max and Dan will start sooner rather than later and Bottas needs to show that he deserves to be a contender for the seat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 am 

He is off form and Hamilton is on form.

However he is performing as expected. He is a bit better than Massa but not as good as Rosberg.

He is capable of the odd sublime performance though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 am 

Badgeronimous wrote:

However he is performing as expected. He is a bit better than Massa but not as good as Rosberg.

Seems so, yes.

Easy to forget that Rosberg had periods of significant dominance over Hamilton. 7 better finishes in a row at one point was it? Maybe more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 am 

Actually, I don't think Bottas is better than Massa. He is now, but Massa is no longer at his best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:17 am 

Invade wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:

Seems so, yes.

Easy to forget that Rosberg had periods of significant dominance over Hamilton. 7 better finishes in a row at one point was it? Maybe more.

Using Massa as a barometer, we know that a top tier driver would be expected to dominate him. Bottas never really did.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 am 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Invade wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:

Seems so, yes.

Using Massa as a barometer, we know that a top tier driver would be expected to dominate him. Bottas never really did.

I do think Rosberg is a little underrated generally. He at least had the raw pace to convert many chances as long as he doesn't have to do too much racing; and frankly, his racecraft was a bit underrated later on into the rivalry with him and Lewis, though it was never top notch of course. I'm not seeing that raw race speed from Bottas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 am 

Invade wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:
Invade wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:

Seems so, yes.

I do think Rosberg is a little underrated generally. He at least had the raw pace to convert many chances as long as he doesn't have to do too much racing; and frankly, his racecraft was a bit underrated later on into the rivalry with him and Lewis, though it was never top notch of course. I'm not seeing that raw race speed from Bottas.

Rosbergs only crime was he was a fraction worse than Hamilton. Hamilton being a guy who, when on form, is almost untouchable and one of the quickest ever.

Definitely under rated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am 

Feeble performance from Bottas today. To finish behind Vettel who started at the back is really not good enough. What is most strange to me is that Bottas seems to have gotten worse over the course of the season, he's regularly over half a second behind Hamilton in qualifying now. Or Hamilton has improved as he's grown accustomed to the car and he's left Bottas behind. Either way, Bottas has not been good enough and this weekend in particular has highlighted why drivers like Hamilton can command such high salaries.

The contract extension still makes sense though I think, purely because there's not really anyone else available who I think would be doing any better.