planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: F1 Engine Noise
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 pm 

And well done with the Blade Runner quote, love the movie and that scene.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I used to go to races with anywhere from 6-10 like minded friends. I'm the sole survivor from that group. Our group fell apart after the first hybrid race.

This is not hard to imagine at all.

Just a note on your predictably puerile comment. I still meet up with these friends all the time and will be at next year's Indy 500 with several of them if made plans turn out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I used to go to races with anywhere from 6-10 like minded friends. I'm the sole survivor from that group. Our group fell apart after the first hybrid race.

Just a note on your predictably puerile comment. I still meet up with these friends all the time and will be at next year's Indy 500 with several of them if made plans turn out.

You mean the noise level at the 500 doesn't bother you? Why is that? It's barely louder than F1, there's just more cars in a tighter clump.

That aside, comments like this are precisely why I ascribe the opinion to you that noise is the most important thing in F1. It's easily the thing you talk about the most, and how many other changes could they have made that would have instantly destroyed your watching group?

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

Covalent wrote:
And well done with the Blade Runner quote, love the movie and that scene.

There was also a line in there that could have been written for Bernie -
' Have you ever tried to take that test yourself? .. I'm not in the business. I am the business. '

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am 

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

You mean the noise level at the 500 doesn't bother you? Why is that? It's barely louder than F1, there's just more cars in a tighter clump.

That aside, comments like this are precisely why I ascribe the opinion to you that noise is the most important thing in F1. It's easily the thing you talk about the most, and how many other changes could they have made that would have instantly destroyed your watching group?

At the 500, I found the noise level to be pretty uninteresting, mitigated slightly by the amplifying factor of the grandstand that we sat in. I had no problems watching the 500 without ear plugs, which tells me how low the volume was. Also, I went to many CART races up at Road America back in the day, and again, was not terribly impressed. However, at that time I had never attended an F1 Grand Prix (until 1991). That event opened up my ears in a way I never thought possible. I'm not a big Indy Car fan these days. I only knew 2-3 drivers at the 500. During the CART/IRL wars I preferred the losing side (CART) and so dropped the sport. As F1 changes, I see the same thing happening.

You can think that for me noise is the most important thing, but that's simply your own hubris and nothing more. I post on plenty of other topics but none of that matters when I state my own preference for things that dont fit into the clique here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm 

V6 engines have never sounded good to me. In line 6's sound a whole lot better. V8s take it to a higher levels, V10s and V12s are just incredible to hear.
We need more cylinders, more revs. Sadly I know that is very unlikely to happen. I still watch and enjoy the current F1, but the current noise has taken away something from the spectacle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:46 pm 

kleefton wrote:
V6 engines have never sounded good to me. In line 6's sound a whole lot better. V8s take it to a higher levels, V10s and V12s are just incredible to hear.
We need more cylinders, more revs. Sadly I know that is very unlikely to happen. I still watch and enjoy the current F1, but the current noise has taken away something from the spectacle.

I attended many races with Porsche 962C's. Those were turbocharged V-6 engines. Despite not revving all that high and being turbocharged, they were loud as hell and sounded glorious. (Not as good as the V-12 Jaguars however!) I recall one race I was watching on TV, a 962C was getting warned by IMSA officials that he was exceeding the track noise limits. They actually had a decibel limit that any car could not exceed. The team was warned for a few laps and then finally black flagged. On the drivers final lap he actually ran over (on purpose!) the decibel sensor and then retired the car.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:02 pm 

Ya folks want noise, try rev-ing a 1967 426 Hemi Roadrunner open-headered drag-strip pro-stock car called "Spooky" in my Uncle's closed 2 car garage as a teenager......, it could literally cause your heart to go into arrhythmia even with your hands clamped tightly over your ears. :]

As far as today in racing, I prefer any of the C6 and C6.R to C7, C7 Z06, and C7.R V8's in the Corvettes to the mousey sounds of F1 in 2017, but then my soon to be 30 year old Silverado's custom Edlebrock parts built stock TBI 350 V8 thru Flowmaster header'd duals is simply divine at 65-85mph locked up in over-drive down IH10 Texas @3am.

NUTHIN beats the V8 or V-Twin scoot sounds that make my life's joy "zoom-zoom", always has...... 8)