planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 pm 

You think Monza was bad for penalties? Just wait until next year. The FIA has reduced significantly the amount of engine components that can be used during the 2018 season.

Article 23.3 a) of the 2018 Sporting Regulations, states: “Unless he drives for more than one team, each driver may use no more than 3 engines (ICE), 3 motor generator units-heat (MGU-H), 3 turbochargers (TC), 2 energy stores (ES), 2 control electronics (CE) and 2 motor generator units-kinetic (MGU-K).

Honda's going to have drivers with triple digit position penalties for sure!

Good luck Torro Rosso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 pm 

So,,, What if they swap drivers mid year? 3 more engines?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm 

moby wrote:

:nod:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:38 pm 

Well I'm not looking forward to career mode in the F1 2018 video game...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:07 pm 

moby wrote:

No, the engines are tied to the constructor's car entry - if a driver C replaces driver B he takes over B's allotment.

In theory, supposing Verstappen had a lot more engines than Ricciardo and Red Bull decided they wanted to give Ricciardo those engines for championship fight due to him being much further ahead, they could:

Swap Ricciardo with Sainz, putting Sainz in Ricciardo's car.
Swap Ricciardo with Verstappen, putting Ricciardo into Verstappen's car,
Swap Verstappen with Sainz.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Well I'm not looking forward to career mode in the F1 2018 video game...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am 

Firstly the reduction is utterly ridiculous, the FIA have no clue. Secondly, have the FIA changed the wording in the spec? the OP is quoting the spec and it mentions "driver" multiple times, currently it is all tied to the car not the driver, is this changing next season?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:57 am 

Even in the V8 days recently they had 8 engines a year. And they weren’t allowed to develop them like now.
3 is a joke.

How much more money is spent testing the engines in the factory to make them 100% reliable, vs maybe allowing 6 or 8 engines where the manufacturers can tinker on track during a season.

All this move does is locks in Merc’s and Ferrari’s engine advantage and makes it harder for Renault and Honda to catch up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 am 

Randine wrote:
Even in the V8 days recently they had 8 engines a year. And they weren’t allowed to develop them like now.
3 is a joke.

How much more money is spent testing the engines in the factory to make them 100% reliable, vs maybe allowing 6 or 8 engines where the manufacturers can tinker on track during a season.

All this move does is locks in Merc’s and Ferrari’s engine advantage and makes it harder for Renault and Honda to catch up.

Which is why they keep voting to lower it of course.

Just in Monza a few weeks ago we had Brawn saying the penalty situation had to be looked at because of the ridiculous amount we had and no-one starting in the spot they qualified but Lewis, fast forward a couple of weeks and in good old fashioned F1 counter-intuitive rubbish they go and make it even more likely we have situations like Monza more often.

Take a bow all involved.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:41 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
You think Monza was bad for penalties? Just wait until next year. The FIA has reduced significantly the amount of engine components that can be used during the 2018 season.

Article 23.3 a) of the 2018 Sporting Regulations, states: “Unless he drives for more than one team, each driver may use no more than 3 engines (ICE), 3 motor generator units-heat (MGU-H), 3 turbochargers (TC), 2 energy stores (ES), 2 control electronics (CE) and 2 motor generator units-kinetic (MGU-K).

Honda's going to have drivers with triple digit position penalties for sure!

Good luck Torro Rosso!!!

Suzie Wolff to Toro Rosso confirmed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:32 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Randine wrote:
3 is a joke.

Just in Monza a few weeks ago we had Brawn saying the penalty situation had to be looked at because of the ridiculous amount we had and no-one starting in the spot they qualified but Lewis, fast forward a couple of weeks and in good old fashioned F1 counter-intuitive rubbish they go and make it even more likely we have situations like Monza more often.

Take a bow all involved.

Yeah I noticed that as well. There seems to be a real issue connecting the dots between these insights and realizations and the actual policies that they implement. This is such a glaring contradiction that it's scary. They may be just waiting until 2021 to fully address the engine situation but they are locking in a less competitive field for the next 3 years if they actually move forward with this 3 engines per year nonsense. For me personally, I cannot see any reason to make such a huge requirement. I think it adds nothing to the racing and just compromises the show by having all these penalties over the course of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:41 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Randine wrote:
3 is a joke.

Take a bow all involved.

Yeah I noticed that as well. There seems to be a real issue connecting the dots between these insights and realizations and the actual policies that they implement. This is such a glaring contradiction that it's scary. They may be just waiting until 2021 to fully address the engine situation but they are locking in a less competitive field for the next 3 years if they actually move forward with this 3 engines per year nonsense. For me personally, I cannot see any reason to make such a huge requirement. I think it adds nothing to the racing and just compromises the show by having all these penalties over the course of the season.

:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I think it adds nothing to the racing and just compromises the show by having all these penalties over the course of the season.

Or maybe they're thinking... drivers out of position on the grid makes good TV?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm 

ALESI wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
I think it adds nothing to the racing and just compromises the show by having all these penalties over the course of the season.

Or maybe they're thinking... drivers out of position on the grid makes good TV?

Other than Hamilton at Spa last year, has any other Mercedes or Ferrari powered driver taken an engine related grid drop?