planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 am 

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/fre ... spartandhp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 am 

First off, I'm hoping this thread is okay by the forum rules established way back in 2014 regarding discussion about Schumacher's condition: I think it is, so I'll reply to it!

I hope this is a good sign, but unfortunately I rather suspect it's a bad one instead. The part about him having become 'weak' sounds more like they're trying to save him from dying than that they're hoping or expecting an actual breakthrough.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 am 

I suspect the thread will be closed, especially when there's only a link in the body of the thread, and when at least in my opinion the title is a bit misleading.

Quote:
But now German magazine Bravo reports that Schumacher is "weak" and relatives are considering a move to the US.

Not really "going to the USA" is it.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:56 am 

I'd be interested to know the type of treatment someone like Schumacher could get in the USA that he can't get in Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
I'd be interested to know the type of treatment someone like Schumacher could get in the USA that he can't get in Europe.

Not saying it is the case, but some treatments are not allowed in Europe, but are in US (stem cell??)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 am 

Exediron wrote:
First off, I'm hoping this thread is okay by the forum rules established way back in 2014 regarding discussion about Schumacher's condition: I think it is, so I'll reply to it!

I hope this is a good sign, but unfortunately I rather suspect it's a bad one instead. The part about him having become 'weak' sounds more like they're trying to save him from dying than that they're hoping or expecting an actual breakthrough.

Considering he's been out of the coma for what, three, three and a half years now, if there was some kind of treatment out there that was going to have a good shot at improving whatever condition he's in, you would've expected he already would've been through it. That it is only happening now does make you think it's probably aimed more at keeping him alive. I suppose the one positive is that at the speed with which medical treatments advance, there is the possibility that it is something that wasn't available three years ago, or has only now started showing enough positive results to make it worth trying.

As has been the case since the accident, you hope for the best but fear for the worst.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:41 am 

moby wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Not saying it is the case, but some treatments are not allowed in Europe, but are in US (stem cell??)

Isn't it the other way around? I believe Germany, coincidentally, is seen as the leader in stem cell treatments/research (with many in the US complaining that regulation has held them back).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am 

Ennis wrote:
moby wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Isn't it the other way around? I believe Germany, coincidentally, is seen as the leader in stem cell treatments/research (with many in the US complaining that regulation has held them back).

Was just a guess, as usual the wrong conclusion :uhoh:

Just tried to read up on it, but the USA is such a mix from state to state its impossible to follow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 pm 

FAKE/FALSE new story, as noted in the papers today - this story was never true just more idle speculation.........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 pm 

F1nut wrote:
FAKE/FALSE new story, as noted in the papers today - this story was never true just more idle speculation.........

That wouldn't surprise me, I don't know what healthcare the US has that Eu and Suisse don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

Worldchampion wrote:
F1nut wrote:

That wouldn't surprise me, I don't know what healthcare the US has that Eu and Suisse don't.

There's bound to be some experimental procedures in any advanced country that you can't get anywhere else. But beyond that, not much.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

Worldchampion wrote:
F1nut wrote:

TIRR/Memorial Hermann Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Model System is just one of the places here in the Houston Medical Center along with the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) which was recently awarded a five-year grant by VA Office of Research and Development to establish a VA Rehabilitation Research Center of Excellence.

Some of the best docs on the planet live and work here in Texas, including the excellent TBI docs up in Dallas...... , here's a link to an article on TBI stem cell work from last year: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/prognosis/article/Houston-researchers-use-stem-cells-to-treat-10483202.php