planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Palmer again
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm 

OK he has done it again. When he came to F1, I had hopes for him, and as a stand by driver he seemed to do well compared to the full time drivers.

As the season went on, I got less and less belief in him and was well past the point of dismissing the talk of him going to Williams, not good enough.

Just when I had completely written him off, he has a (comparably) good race.

I know the first corner took out 4 cars, and his team mate lost his gearbox, but as a stand alone race he was quite good.
A Wet and drying track caught a few out but he handled it well with no brain fade or white line fever to stay infront of the Mclaren for a long time and a couple of reasonable passes too.

I really give up trying to fathom him. Is he going to be a reasonable driver and just not had a good car under him (which tbh Renault have said is the case, but my mind thinks otherwise), or was this race the exception, also, is it really too stupid to talk of him at Williams?

Post subject: Re: Palmer again
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 pm 

moby wrote:
OK he has done it again. When he came to F1, I had hopes for him, and as a stand by driver he seemed to do well compared to the full time drivers.

As the season went on, I got less and less belief in him and was well past the point of dismissing the talk of him going to Williams, not good enough.

I know the first corner took out 4 cars, and his team mate lost his gearbox, but as a stand alone race he was quite good.
A Wet and drying track caught a few out but he handled it well with no brain fade or white line fever to stay infront of the Mclaren for a long time and a couple of reasonable passes too.

I really give up trying to fathom him. Is he going to be a reasonable driver and just not had a good car under him (which tbh Renault have said is the case, but my mind thinks otherwise), or was this race the exception, also, is it really too stupid to talk of him at Williams?

Palmer is done in F1. He has had a car capable of scoring points in most of the races this year but he has failed to do so until Singapore. I actually think Hulk is underachieving in that car this year. They should be no lower than 5th in the constructor's right now. Palmer's performance is totally sub-par. There's no way he should get another shot with so many talented youngsters trying to break in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm 

moby wrote:

He was a long way off Hulkenberg's pace.

He would have finished 11th without those in front coming a cropper. It was an ok performance. Nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:

Palmer is done in F1. He has had a car capable of scoring points in most of the races this year but he has failed to do so until Singapore. I actually think Hulk is underachieving in that car this year. They should be no lower than 5th in the constructor's right now. Palmer's performance is totally sub-par. There's no way he should get another shot with so many talented youngsters trying to break in.

No lower than 5th? I think over the season the Williams and the FI have both been better. Williams is let down badly by it's drivers IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:

No lower than 5th? I think over the season the Williams and the FI have both been better. Williams is let down badly by it's drivers IMO.

FI has definitely been better but Williams? I don't think so. They are strong on tracks that really don't rely on aerodynamics at all but they struggle anywhere else. The Renault has often been a Q3 car but they have failed on Sundays to bring home the points. Watch out for Sainz next year. He's going to demolish Hulk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 pm 

I think Palmer is similar to Ericsson in a way. He's taking a long time to get to be a reasonable driver. I thought Ericsson was terrible and the worst driver on the grid early in 2015. I now think he's much better, just nothing special. But he sure did take more than a couple of years to improve. I think Palmer may become the same if offered another year. But I don't know if it is worth it. I think Massa is better than him and Stroll looks to be improving quickly.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:

I certainly agree that Williams and Force India are better than Renault.

I don't think Massa has been that bad at all really. He was extremely unlucky in the 1st half of the season where I honestly think he was pretty strong other than China. I think he possibly missed out on as much as 40 points in this time. While this much would put him ahead of Verstappen, that isn't realistic, but I do think that he'd be ahead of both Force India drivers. At leased Ocon anyway. Stroll was very poor at first and Massa is looking to have some weaker races recently but I do still think that Massa has been under rated this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
moby wrote:

FI has definitely been better but Williams? I don't think so. They are strong on tracks that really don't rely on aerodynamics at all but they struggle anywhere else. The Renault has often been a Q3 car but they have failed on Sundays to bring home the points. Watch out for Sainz next year. He's going to demolish Hulk.

Remember at the start of the season. The Williams was closer to the Red Bull than the rest of the midfield when the driver deficit is accounted for. Switch the drivers round and I'd be surprised if the FI had more points than the Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:23 am 

This result is non-representative and being in a Renault, he should have been achieving top 10s all year.

In practice and qualifying his lap speed was around a second off Hulkenberg consistently.

His performance has clearly been lacking, but so has his attitude. Crashes and poor performances don't seem to bother him. He appears to believe he owns the seat and hasn't had to earn it.

Given his poor pace, I still can't understand how he won the GP2 series a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am 

oz_karter wrote:
This result is non-representative and being in a Renault, he should have been achieving top 10s all year.

In practice and qualifying his lap speed was around a second off Hulkenberg consistently.

His performance has clearly been lacking, but so has his attitude. Crashes and poor performances don't seem to bother him. He appears to believe he owns the seat and hasn't had to earn it.

Given his poor pace, I still can't understand how he won the GP2 series a few years ago.

Because he was in his fourth year at that level, in a particularly weak field where his only real competition (Vandoorne) was in his rookie season. And even then Stoffel outscored him from the fourth round onwards.