planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lewis Hamilton's cars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:01 pm 

Has a great collection, will give him that! https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/lewis-ha ... rs?76542rh

Recon the Project one would definitely be on his list!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm 

RachelM wrote:
Has a great collection, will give him that! https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/lewis-ha ... rs?76542rh

Wow.....that's quite a collection.

Surprised to see the old time Ford's on that list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm 

RachelM wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the first one off the production line. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that David Coulthard has ordered one of the Aston Martin Valkyrie's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 am 

Its Jay Leno's collection I like. (if you go there in particular I love the Baker electric 1908 (?) )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 am 

I wonder how people like him schedule what car to drive and when to drive it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 am 

It doesn't seem that he has a central location where all of these vehicles reside. So he probably just drives what is near to where he is. The photo with the Cobra was definitely taken in California and the tags are from that state.

I'm also sure that he doesn't drive an exotic every time he gets behind the wheel so it'd be interesting to see what his daily driver is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am 

moby wrote:
Its Jay Leno's collection I like. (if you go there in particular I love the Baker electric 1908 (?) )

Sounds like you've actually been to Leno's facility so you know that if the list in the linked article is only a third of what Lewis has, it would still only be about a third of what Jay has.

And yes, Leno's whole collection of steam cars is incredible. As well as his early electric cars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:18 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the first one off the production line. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that David Coulthard has ordered one of the Aston Martin Valkyrie's.

Custom made, some Lewis features to add for sure! Valkyrie is an incredible piece of machinery, hard to choose favourite between the project one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
RachelM wrote:

Wow.....that's quite a collection.

Surprised to see the old time Ford's on that list.

Before I clicked the link, I was hoping 'old Fords' meant a Capri, a Granada and a Cortina! My old man had all 3 at one point, remember his beige Cortina as a kid... horrid car lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm 

I bet Hamilton has his eye on the new Bugatti Chiron, look at the smile on montoya, 0-400-0 in 42 seconds! 8O 8O 8O

https://youtu.be/PkkV1vLHUvQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:29 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:

Before I clicked the link, I was hoping 'old Fords' meant a Capri, a Granada and a Cortina! My old man had all 3 at one point, remember his beige Cortina as a kid... horrid car lol.

Ha, me too :lol:

I love my old Fords. If I won the lottery, that is what I would buy. You can keep your super cars, just give me a garage full of 1970s/80s Fords :D

Never owned a Capri, but I have had two Cortinas, a Mk1 Fiesta Supersport, Mk2 XR2 and a Mk4 XR3i.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm 

SteveW wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

I love my old Fords. If I won the lottery, that is what I would buy. You can keep your super cars, just give me a garage full of 1970s/80s Fords :D

Never owned a Capri, but I have had two Cortinas, a Mk1 Fiesta Supersport, Mk2 XR2 and a Mk4 XR3i.......

70's?… 80's???!?!?!?

Really? That was the JUNK era for ford outside a few mustangs and their station wagons which were built to last a family a lifetime.
The best era for ford was the mid60's to very early 70's. From 75-76 onward running all the way through today, they have been, well…
let's just say that when a factory mechanic advises you to not buy one that's saying something, and when it's a Mechanic who helped fabricate and build everything for the Ferrari Slayers, you best be sure he's not just speaking nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
SteveW wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

70's?… 80's???!?!?!?

Really? That was the JUNK era for ford outside a few mustangs and their station wagons which were built to last a family a lifetime.
The best era for ford was the mid60's to very early 70's. From 75-76 onward running all the way through today, they have been, well…
let's just say that when a factory mechanic advises you to not buy one that's saying something, and when it's a Mechanic who helped fabricate and build everything for the Ferrari Slayers, you best be sure he's not just speaking nonsense.

oh I fully agree and guess the USA Fords that you're referencing clearly suffered the same terrible build quality, made of steel that would rust the minute it saw a rain drop, that the UK and European Fords suffered during that time? :lol:

Thing is, I started driving in 1989 when I was 17 and loved all the "sporty" Fords form that era, even though they weren't the best cars.

I still maintain (and I genuinely believe this) that a garage full of classic European Fords would give me more pleasure than a line of Ferraris/Lambos/etc etc

I'm sure I'd probably make some room for an original GT500 too ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am 

I love my Ford Fiesta ST. I've never driven a car that's so much fun to drive.

Lewis Hamilton should try one!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am 

I had a home build Ford Anglia, with a re-cranked engine to give me 1340cc (i think it was) and a couple of carbs off an Alfa. A van dif and I was king of the road. How embarrassing now :blush:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 am 

moby wrote:
I had a home build Ford Anglia, with a re-cranked engine to give me 1340cc (i think it was) and a couple of carbs off an Alfa. A van dif and I was king of the road. How embarrassing now :blush:
Ha, probably less embarrassing than my first car. Mk5 Cortina Crusader that I fitted with a twin choke weber carb from a 1.6 Ghia to replace the awful VV carb, and a Peco back box to make it sound better. 8O :? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 pm 

Worldchampion wrote:
I bet Hamilton has his eye on the new Bugatti Chiron, look at the smile on montoya, 0-400-0 in 42 seconds! 8O 8O 8O

I am majorly surprised he doesn't own one to be honest, I recon it's definitely on his list. May gift himself if he gets the next championship which is more likely now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 pm 

huummm...., does this mean I can post any non-F1/Motorsports related thread into this forum as long as I put "Lewis Hamilton" in the title??? :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 pm 

Worldchampion wrote:

To be honest figures in KPH is a bit deceiving because in MPH it's really not that astonishing, especially given the ginormous engine in that thing.
The 0–300 km/h (0–186 mph) in 14.53 seconds so it's mighty close to the same type of acceleration and stopping ability withing a similar time frame with a much smaller engine and at a muuuch lower price point. Still insane, but I can see that mark eclipsed by other cars without too much fuss.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Worldchampion wrote:

The 0–300 km/h (0–186 mph) in 14.53 seconds so it's mighty close to the same type of acceleration and stopping ability withing a similar time frame with a much smaller engine and at a muuuch lower price point. Still insane, but I can see that mark eclipsed by other cars without too much fuss.

What car with a smaller engine and much lower price point were you thinking of? I'm not aware of any production car costing under a million that can match that number, and the only ones that can better it cost as much or more than the Bugatti.

A heavily modified street racer certainly can match that 0-300 for less money, but it also wouldn't do any of the stuff you get a Bugatti for, such as being luxurious or remotely reliable.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)