planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:22 pm 

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/13 ... me-in-2018

I think he has said in the past that he would never race on an oval so if he really means full time I guess that rules out a switch to Indycar unless he has had a change of heart so I wonder what series he will be driving in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm 

My money would be on Super GT. LeMans top class is dead with no path to resurrection in sight, as you said he's not interested in ovals so Indy and NASCAR is out. I don't recall him ever saying anything in either direction about Supercars so that could be a wildcard, but maybe something like Blancpain if not Super GT.

On second thought maybe with all of the manufactures jumping on the FE bandwagon he might feel that's worthwhile but I don't the prestige being high enough there to draw a former WDC yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 pm 

Would love to see him in Indycar. He's opposed to ovals? Maybe he spoke with Alonso and changed his mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
My money would be on Super GT. LeMans top class is dead with no path to resurrection in sight, as you said he's not interested in ovals so Indy and NASCAR is out. I don't recall him ever saying anything in either direction about Supercars so that could be a wildcard, but maybe something like Blancpain if not Super GT.

On second thought maybe with all of the manufactures jumping on the FE bandwagon he might feel that's worthwhile but I don't the prestige being high enough there to draw a former WDC yet.

Jacques Villeneuve dislikes this post.

It would be a huge coup for FE if they could get Button, but Super GT makes a lot more sense. I feel like the next significant F1 name to join FE will be Felipe Massa, who I reckon would already be racing there had Rosberg's retirement not opened up an opportunity for him to return to F1. Unless Rosberg is intending to race for Mercedes when they join in 2019, and might perhaps fancy a year with another team in the 2018/19 season to get up-to-speed?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 am 

owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/131379/button-will-definitely-race-fulltime-in-2018

I think he has said in the past that he would never race on an oval so if he really means full time I guess that rules out a switch to Indycar unless he has had a change of heart so I wonder what series he will be driving in.

I think Indy is different nowadays. The series started as ovals, but now it is including more track and street races than ovals. I am not following the series and I'm no expert, but I think he could still go for it. Alonso/Sato/etc. showed us that F1 drivers can adapt their driving to oval racing, so why not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am 

Siao7 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/131379/button-will-definitely-race-fulltime-in-2018

I think Indy is different nowadays. The series started as ovals, but now it is including more track and street races than ovals. I am not following the series and I'm no expert, but I think he could still go for it. Alonso/Sato/etc. showed us that F1 drivers can adapt their driving to oval racing, so why not?

I could see him being tempted into doing the 500, and maybe even some road/street races (hell, if I were Jenson Button, I would be dipping in and out of as many different series as I could!) but if you're a 38-year-old Jenson Button, do you really want the risk of running five additional oval races? I know anything he does has an element of risk attached, but of the realistic options he's got, IndyCar oval races are those that would surely carry the biggest risk in terms of potential injuries or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:45 am 

Jenson would be a massive coup for F-e. As it is all the drivers anyone has heard of there are ex drivers who didn't make the cut, that's not a good message for a race series to send out. Getting a WDC to race there would up their status and draw in UK viewers at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:52 pm 

Would love it if it was F-e but I doubt it, most likely Super GT.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Would love it if it was F-e but I doubt it, most likely Super GT.

Impressed, It is Super GT, confirmed today, he should do well in it! With Honda of course.

https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news/button-secures-2018-super-gt-drive-with-honda-985354/