planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 591
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/13 ... me-in-2018

I think he has said in the past that he would never race on an oval so if he really means full time I guess that rules out a switch to Indycar unless he has had a change of heart so I wonder what series he will be driving in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4534
My money would be on Super GT. LeMans top class is dead with no path to resurrection in sight, as you said he's not interested in ovals so Indy and NASCAR is out. I don't recall him ever saying anything in either direction about Supercars so that could be a wildcard, but maybe something like Blancpain if not Super GT.

On second thought maybe with all of the manufactures jumping on the FE bandwagon he might feel that's worthwhile but I don't the prestige being high enough there to draw a former WDC yet.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Posts: 121
Would love to see him in Indycar. He's opposed to ovals? Maybe he spoke with Alonso and changed his mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2646
RaggedMan wrote:
My money would be on Super GT. LeMans top class is dead with no path to resurrection in sight, as you said he's not interested in ovals so Indy and NASCAR is out. I don't recall him ever saying anything in either direction about Supercars so that could be a wildcard, but maybe something like Blancpain if not Super GT.

On second thought maybe with all of the manufactures jumping on the FE bandwagon he might feel that's worthwhile but I don't the prestige being high enough there to draw a former WDC yet.


Jacques Villeneuve dislikes this post.

It would be a huge coup for FE if they could get Button, but Super GT makes a lot more sense. I feel like the next significant F1 name to join FE will be Felipe Massa, who I reckon would already be racing there had Rosberg's retirement not opened up an opportunity for him to return to F1. Unless Rosberg is intending to race for Mercedes when they join in 2019, and might perhaps fancy a year with another team in the 2018/19 season to get up-to-speed?

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5370
owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/131379/button-will-definitely-race-fulltime-in-2018

I think he has said in the past that he would never race on an oval so if he really means full time I guess that rules out a switch to Indycar unless he has had a change of heart so I wonder what series he will be driving in.


I think Indy is different nowadays. The series started as ovals, but now it is including more track and street races than ovals. I am not following the series and I'm no expert, but I think he could still go for it. Alonso/Sato/etc. showed us that F1 drivers can adapt their driving to oval racing, so why not?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2646
Siao7 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/131379/button-will-definitely-race-fulltime-in-2018

I think he has said in the past that he would never race on an oval so if he really means full time I guess that rules out a switch to Indycar unless he has had a change of heart so I wonder what series he will be driving in.


I think Indy is different nowadays. The series started as ovals, but now it is including more track and street races than ovals. I am not following the series and I'm no expert, but I think he could still go for it. Alonso/Sato/etc. showed us that F1 drivers can adapt their driving to oval racing, so why not?


I could see him being tempted into doing the 500, and maybe even some road/street races (hell, if I were Jenson Button, I would be dipping in and out of as many different series as I could!) but if you're a 38-year-old Jenson Button, do you really want the risk of running five additional oval races? I know anything he does has an element of risk attached, but of the realistic options he's got, IndyCar oval races are those that would surely carry the biggest risk in terms of potential injuries or worse.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm
Posts: 2246
Jenson would be a massive coup for F-e. As it is all the drivers anyone has heard of there are ex drivers who didn't make the cut, that's not a good message for a race series to send out. Getting a WDC to race there would up their status and draw in UK viewers at the same time.

_________________
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2118
Would love it if it was F-e but I doubt it, most likely Super GT.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 701
Location: UK
Banana Man wrote:
Would love it if it was F-e but I doubt it, most likely Super GT.


Impressed, It is Super GT, confirmed today, he should do well in it! With Honda of course.

https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news/button-secures-2018-super-gt-drive-with-honda-985354/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], SteveW, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group