planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 am 

Jenson Button had an 18 point lead over his teammate Rubens Barrichello in the driver's standing heading into the race. In qualifying, Giancarlo Fisichella took a surprising pole over Jarno Trulli and Nick Heidfeld. In the race, Scuderia Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen, made a lighting start gaining several positions. Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button were both eliminated from the race due to a first lap crash. Raikkonen would eventually win the race after passing Fisichella on lap 5.

So do guys remember this race?

It was Kimi's last win for Ferrari to date.

It was Fisichella's last podium as well as Force India's first.

Would you guys like me to create an F1 Flashback series just before every Grand Prix? :-P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 am 

I was really gutted for Force India.

During the 1st start, Fisi had led into the 1st corner & by the time all the cars had reached at the end of Kemmel Straight, Fisi had around a second's lead over the rest. Then the crash happened & race was red flagged.

After the 2nd start, Fisi again led but because Kimi had ERS, he got past Fisi on the straight. Fisi throughout the race was unable to get past Kimi on the straight due to the ERS advantage of the Ferrari.

However, it was quite a historic moment for Force India.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 am 

One of the most frustrating races I can remember. FI went from being a complete back marker team to challenging for the win in effectively one upgrade (That's how close competition was in 2009).

We could have had possibly the biggest shock win ever but sadly were denied. Kimi got himself up to the second by deliberately running off the circuit at turn 1 which ave him a massive run up the straight. Then after the restart he could just blast past with KERS and stay ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 am 

I remember just being perplexed by the whole thing. And I had no sympathy for JB because he shouldn't have been qualifying that low

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:44 pm 

I am a Ferrari fan, but I so wanted Fisico to win that race. It maybe wasn't meant to be, but got him that Ferrari contract, didn't it? At least that was the rumour at the time, that he let Kimi past to sweeten the deal. He signed for Ferrari only a few days after if I am not mistaken. Who knows? It was a great result for FI and Fisico, whichever way it came.

Thanks CC78AMG, nice post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 am 

Yes, as others stated, one of those frustrating races. Fisi earned it big time. A couple of other examples of such races from history where drivers who earned it did not won:

De Cesaris (Alfa Romeo), USA West 1982 (Yet Lauda earned every bit of his victory there)
Villeneuve (Ferrari), San Marino 1982
Capelli (Layton House March), France 1990
Hill (Arrows), Hungary 1997
Barichello (Ferrari), Austria 2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:35 pm 

I remember screaming at the TV when Force India mirrored Kimi's stop - he was never going to pass on track, they should have given him 3 laps more fuel than Kimi and he would have been ahead after the second stop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm 

The Force India showing that race was fantastic, but surely it has to be pointed out that the decision not to fit KERS that season was instrumental in losing the race?

I was mostly sad for Fisico's switch to Ferrari, and perhaps even more so for Luca Badoer. That must have hurt.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi