planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver of the weekend: Belgian GP
Poll ended at Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:39 pm
Hamilton 66%  66%  [ 37 ]
Bottas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vettel 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Raikkonen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ricciardo 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Verstappen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Massa 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Stroll 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Perez 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Ocon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Sainz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kvyat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hulkenberg 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Palmer 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Alonso 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 56
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Belgium

Cast your vote for the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix!


Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position



Standings after Hungary
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Vettel      |   28   |
2  |  Hamilton    |   27   |
3  |  Bottas      |    9   |
4  |  Stroll      |    5   |
5  |  Alonso      |    5   |
6  |  Ricciardo   |    4   |
7  |  Perez       |    3   |
8  |  Sainz       |    3   |
9  |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
10 |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
11 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
12 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
13 |  Verstappen  |    1   |
14 |  Ocon        |    1   |
15 |  Grosjean    |    1   |


Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 695
Hamilton.
Great pole lap, excellent car positioning at the start and then an awesome defensive move to keep Seb behind after the SC.
Worryingly for Lewis was the fact that the Ferrari looked the best car in the race on a circuit I'm sure Mercedes thought they'd be a good amount ahead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
Went for Hamilton. Hard to see a standout performer really and Hamilton didn't put a foot wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 695
Leaving Di Resta in proved impossible to resist for some FM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
FFS Di Resta :lol:

Poll edited


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Laz_T800 wrote:
Hamilton.
Great pole lap, excellent car positioning at the start and then an awesome defensive move to keep Seb behind after the SC.
Worryingly for Lewis was the fact that the Ferrari looked the best car in the race on a circuit I'm sure Mercedes thought they'd be a good amount ahead.


Ferrari best car? Hardly. Vettel needed a tow to get on the front row, never once triggered DRS on Hamilton (that I can see) and was slower at the end despite having a two tire compound advantage.

I'm sure, quite sure, that Hamilton would rather be driving a Mercedes than the Ferrari.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 695
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Hamilton.
Great pole lap, excellent car positioning at the start and then an awesome defensive move to keep Seb behind after the SC.
Worryingly for Lewis was the fact that the Ferrari looked the best car in the race on a circuit I'm sure Mercedes thought they'd be a good amount ahead.


Ferrari best car? Hardly. Vettel needed a tow to get on the front row, never once triggered DRS on Hamilton (that I can see) and was slower at the end despite having a two tire compound advantage.

I'm sure, quite sure, that Hamilton would rather be driving a Mercedes than the Ferrari.


Looked to me like Vettel was able to sit just behind Lewis the whole race even though he was in the dirty air.
I'd say that means the Ferrari is a pretty good match for the Mercedes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Massa!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 2632
Location: England
Hard to look past Hamilton here, though the real winner on Sunday was the dirty air problem. Ascloseasthat with Vettel though, think we are starting to see two multiple world champions beginning to push each other onto greater and greater heights now that the stakes are getting higher.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2018: {Rookie Year}
Current positon: 1st | 3 Podiums | 1 Win


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Michigan, USA
Gotta be Hamilton. Didn't put a foot wrong all weekend, and held off Vettel with a faster car.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4524
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Massa!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laughing at the people because they have different opinion then you. How miserable.

_________________
The end is near


Last edited by Lt. Drebin on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4524
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14223
Went Massa. Would have been Hamilton but he annoyed me so much with the defeatist whinging behind the safety car. Like Vettel he is someone who could benefit from working with a sports psychologist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Posts: 3
Palmer. Sympathy vote


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

I find Perez's behavior very strange. He was never a reckless driver before. Maybe that year with Mclaren we saw him get into it with Jenson a few times but nothing really since then. This year he seems to be on a collision course with his teammate every weekend. I get the sense that he feels threatened by Ocon...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4524
sandman1347 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

I find Perez's behavior very strange. He was never a reckless driver before. Maybe that year with Mclaren we saw him get into it with Jenson a few times but nothing really since then. This year he seems to be on a collision course with his teammate every weekend. I get the sense that he feels threatened by Ocon...

I agree. Perez seems to feel the pressure from Ocon, a newcomer who can easily be more interesting to other teams, and seems like he does not like such development, while waiting for some better seat himself.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:38 pm
Posts: 297
Oops, did you say driver of the day. Unfortunately I read "Bell End of the Day" and voted Perez. ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14223
sandman1347 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

I find Perez's behavior very strange. He was never a reckless driver before. Maybe that year with Mclaren we saw him get into it with Jenson a few times but nothing really since then. This year he seems to be on a collision course with his teammate every weekend. I get the sense that he feels threatened by Ocon...


It looks like that but I don't understand why. Hulk was highly rated and closer in performance to Perez yet nothing like this ever happened. And Hulk is a rougher racer than Ocon!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

I find Perez's behavior very strange. He was never a reckless driver before. Maybe that year with Mclaren we saw him get into it with Jenson a few times but nothing really since then. This year he seems to be on a collision course with his teammate every weekend. I get the sense that he feels threatened by Ocon...


It looks like that but I don't understand why. Hulk was highly rated and closer in performance to Perez yet nothing like this ever happened. And Hulk is a rougher racer than Ocon!

But Hulk wasn't younger. In reading between the lines, there are signs that Ocon might have more ultimate pace than Perez and Sergio is wary of that. Ocon is in his first year with the team while Perez has been with them for 3+ years and has a lot more F1 experience in general. I definitely see signs that Ocon will have the upper hand by next season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14223
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Voted Ocon, for surviving two homicide attempts and bringing home some points.

I find Perez's behavior very strange. He was never a reckless driver before. Maybe that year with Mclaren we saw him get into it with Jenson a few times but nothing really since then. This year he seems to be on a collision course with his teammate every weekend. I get the sense that he feels threatened by Ocon...


It looks like that but I don't understand why. Hulk was highly rated and closer in performance to Perez yet nothing like this ever happened. And Hulk is a rougher racer than Ocon!

But Hulk wasn't younger. In reading between the lines, there are signs that Ocon might have more ultimate pace than Perez and Sergio is wary of that. Ocon is in his first year with the team while Perez has been with them for 3+ years and has a lot more F1 experience in general. I definitely see signs that Ocon will have the upper hand by next season.


Possibly and I agree Ocon has a lot of upside but Hulk actually WAS better than Perez almost half the time and often mentioned before him for big drives (Certainly for their first two years together) yet Perez never reacted like this. I'm not saying you're wrong just that i seems out of character. Maybe a degree of frustration at being overlooked for the Ferrari drive again?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
I don't think anyone did anything special on Sunday, but on the basis that Hamilton dropped his team mate by a fairly conclusive amount on Saturday I gave it to him


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9898
Location: Travelling around the world
Hamilton. This week was an easy one

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7378
Location: Belgium
I was there, so I didn't get all of the information on what I saw, but the driver who impressed me most was Palmer. I still have to watch the race on the telly, so I don't know how his incident with Alonso happened, but to be best of the rest prior to his gearbox failure was encouraging and very satisfying. I hope his strong showing will continue next week.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2936
Location: UK
Fiki wrote:
I was there, so I didn't get all of the information on what I saw, but the driver who impressed me most was Palmer. I still have to watch the race on the telly, so I don't know how his incident with Alonso happened, but to be best of the rest prior to his gearbox failure was encouraging and very satisfying. I hope his strong showing will continue next week.

Yes Palmer drove very well all weekend. Unfortunately without a result to show for it at the end I'd struggle to vote for him in this poll, whether it was his fault or not.

I think Palmer was blameless for the Alonso incident, he was shoved off the track while trying to go around the outside at Rivage. It was clear from Alonso's radio communication through the race that the red mist had descended, and he barged Palmer off in his frustration at being passed. Incidentally not dissimilar to what Magnussen was handed a 5sec penalty for in Hungary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7378
Location: Belgium
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Massa!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Massa was my second, together with Palmer.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1497
Fiki wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Massa!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Massa was my second, together with Palmer.

I don't think I could have Massa as a close driver of the weekend because of him ignoring yellow flags in practice I think it was. He collected a 5 place grid penalty for this. But because of the other drivers having penalties. His 5 place penalty resulted in him dropping all the way from 16th position to 16th. What a worthless penalty! :lol:
However, his race was very good. Most certainly one of the drives of the day. There was another penalty that just didn't work too this race. The 10 second stop go for Kimi. His position ended up resulting no worse but partly because of Bottas's poor restart.

About Palmer, I did consider him for a vote for driver of the weekend. He looked very strong on Saturday. Best of the rest in P3 in 7th. 7th in Q2 again with a time over 3 tenths faster than Hulkenberg who just about managed to squeeze into the top 10. Palmer set 7th early on, then his clutch broke. Then the team managed to fix it and he manage to improve a little right at the end. Interestingly, Even though Hulkenberg was P7 in Q3, his time set on US like Palmer did in Q2 was still over 3 tenths slower than Palmer's. I think Palmer could have pretty comfortably been best of the rest outside of the top 3 teams if he had the chance.

I feel Palmers race may have been a different story if he started in 7th or somewhere near here. But the way he got pushed off track on 1 or 2 occasions to me looked very unreasonable. He looked to have a good race still but was rather unlucky yet again.

I ended up voting for Hamilton and was very close to voting Vettel instead. Palmer would probably be my next choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
I think Vettel was as good as Hamilton was, but given Hamilton took the win, I'm voting on him.

Weird though that a driver that got beaten on Saturday is currently second. Really guys?

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7378
Location: Belgium
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Massa!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Massa was my second, together with Palmer.

I don't think I could have Massa as a close driver of the weekend because of him ignoring yellow flags in practice I think it was. He collected a 5 place grid penalty for this. But because of the other drivers having penalties. His 5 place penalty resulted in him dropping all the way from 16th position to 16th. What a worthless penalty! :lol:
However, his race was very good. Most certainly one of the drives of the day. There was another penalty that just didn't work too this race. The 10 second stop go for Kimi. His position ended up resulting no worse but partly because of Bottas's poor restart.

About Palmer, I did consider him for a vote for driver of the weekend. He looked very strong on Saturday. Best of the rest in P3 in 7th. 7th in Q2 again with a time over 3 tenths faster than Hulkenberg who just about managed to squeeze into the top 10. Palmer set 7th early on, then his clutch broke. Then the team managed to fix it and he manage to improve a little right at the end. Interestingly, Even though Hulkenberg was P7 in Q3, his time set on US like Palmer did in Q2 was still over 3 tenths slower than Palmer's. I think Palmer could have pretty comfortably been best of the rest outside of the top 3 teams if he had the chance.

I feel Palmers race may have been a different story if he started in 7th or somewhere near here. But the way he got pushed off track on 1 or 2 occasions to me looked very unreasonable. He looked to have a good race still but was rather unlucky yet again.

I ended up voting for Hamilton and was very close to voting Vettel instead. Palmer would probably be my next choice.
I have just seen the incident with Alonso, and I have to say he pushed Alonso wide first. I do think Alonso repaid him far too harshly, but it is more than high time the stewards started doing a proper job again. This cannot be allowed to stand. That is not racing hard but fair; it is downright unsporting.

I would expect a driver who got caught out and ran wide accidentally, to at least apologise to his victim. But as we saw at Silverstone, some drivers get away with running someone off, some get away with taking "corrective action" into their own hands rather than leaving it to the stewards, and some stewards seem to be vague when deciding between sporting behaviour and "danger".

Anyway, I hope Jolyon was wise enough to try to talk to Alonso about it after the race, because if the stewards don't, then the drivers have to.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1912
Hamilton by a hair over Vettel. Both ended up with a tremendous qualy lap and their battle at the front during the race was very good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Michigan, USA
mds wrote:
Weird though that a driver that got beaten on Saturday is currently second. Really guys?

I do have to agree with this. It's driver of the weekend, not driver of the race. Ricciardo was poor in qualifying, so he shouldn't be a serious candidate for it.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: F1_Ernie and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group