It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

So he had to wait for the right circumstances rather than walk into any team when he chooses to.

Yes like Alonso has had to do yet were is the Ferrari or Mercedes contract for him?

Also regarding 1993 it was said that Prost had a veto against Senna which he probably negotiated for himself the previous year in 1992 before Senna actually proclaimed interest in driving for Williams.

Alonso, much like Senna and any other driver can't just pick and choose when and where to go, it has to be under the right circumstances for everybody.

When drivers are clear of contracts like we see with many drivers presently regarding next season.

Yes, circumstances dictate rather than the drivers,whatever their reputation.

Regarding contracts, Alonso with regards to this should be able to choose were he drives between Ferrari and Mercedes if he was head and shoulders the best driver on the grid.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Which post?.

You can class me as a fan if you want, he's one of the drivers I like. Not sure I'd say he's clearly the best of his generation, I tend to go back and forth between him and Lewis.

Blake already stepped forward just before your post. :)

He was responding to you bringing the best of his generation up with this post...

pokerman wrote:
Generally speaking I have to read posts of how Alonso is the best of his generation yet that doesn't seem to translate to how the people that count seem to view him?

And he actually said there are many who think that rather than he thought it so at the point no-one had said it but yet you still wrote the above.

If you are referring to Blake he clearly thinks that.

He may well do but at the point you felt the need to correct davidheath no-one, including Blake, had actually said it. And the first person to even mention best of his generation was you, in reference to posts declaring him such, posts only you can see apparently, which was davidheaths point in the first place.

Blake posted at the top of page 3 and DavidHeath posted after that, now I will admit there's a good chance he didn't see Blake's post because Blake posted in reply to my post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Regarding contracts, Alonso with regards to this should be able to choose were he drives between Ferrari and Mercedes if he was head and shoulders the best driver on the grid.

Agreed. He should be able to.

That being said I would understand if Ferrari weren't keen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Yes like Alonso has had to do yet were is the Ferrari or Mercedes contract for him?

Also regarding 1993 it was said that Prost had a veto against Senna which he probably negotiated for himself the previous year in 1992 before Senna actually proclaimed interest in driving for Williams.

Alonso, much like Senna and any other driver can't just pick and choose when and where to go, it has to be under the right circumstances for everybody.

When drivers are clear of contracts like we see with many drivers presently regarding next season.

Yes, circumstances dictate rather than the drivers,whatever their reputation.

Says who?. He's 36 and both those teams have top tier drivers around the early 30's and are having great success currently.

Unless he has half a second or more a lap over them, which is laughable, I wouldn't sign him up either. Why change what's working?.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake already stepped forward just before your post. :)

He was responding to you bringing the best of his generation up with this post...

pokerman wrote:
Generally speaking I have to read posts of how Alonso is the best of his generation yet that doesn't seem to translate to how the people that count seem to view him?

And he actually said there are many who think that rather than he thought it so at the point no-one had said it but yet you still wrote the above.

If you are referring to Blake he clearly thinks that.

He may well do but at the point you felt the need to correct davidheath no-one, including Blake, had actually said it. And the first person to even mention best of his generation was you, in reference to posts declaring him such, posts only you can see apparently, which was davidheaths point in the first place.

Blake posted at the top of page 3 and DavidHeath posted after that, now I will admit there's a good chance he didn't see Blake's post because Blake posted in reply to my post.

No, Blake simply said there are many that feel that rather than simply posting Alonso is the best of bis generation like you keep trying to claim bizarrely. Doesn't matter if you feel Blake is one of them, at the point davidheath pulled you up about having to read invisible posts about Alonso being the best of his generation he was right, no-one had actually said it in this thread.

So go on then, your original comment above about having to read posts about him being the best of his generation, what posts inspired that then?.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
No, Blake simply said there are many that feel that rather than simply posting Alonso is the best of bis generation like you keep trying to claim bizarrely. Doesn't matter if you feel Blake is one of them, at the point davidheath pulled you up about having to read invisible posts about Alonso being the best of his generation he was right, no-one had actually said it in this thread.

So go on then, your original comment above about having to read posts about him being the best of his generation, what posts inspired that then?.

So Blake saying that many people feel that Alonso is the best driver of his generation is different from someone saying he thinks he is the best driver of his generation?

For the record Blake has said this in the past and so as mikeyg, now whether Blake is an Alonso supporter as such maybe he isn't?

DavidHeath states that Alonso supporters themselves do not call Alonso the best driver of his generation which I kind of find strange in itself as it must be only none supporters that say this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

(1). So Blake saying that many people feel that Alonso is the best driver of his generation is different from someone saying he thinks he is the best driver of his generation?

(2). For the record Blake has said this in the past and so as mikeyg, now whether Blake is an Alonso supporter as such maybe he isn't?

(3). DavidHeath states that Alonso supporters themselves do not call Alonso the best driver of his generation which I kind of find strange in itself as it must be only none supporters that say this?

1. He didn't just bring it up out of thin air, he was responding to your post about Alonso being the best of his generation and he didn't state he thinks it himself or that he's an Alonso fan so clearly yes.

2. Maybe davidheath hadn't seen those posts in the past and was assuming you were talking about posts you'd read in this very thread. In fact we don't even have to assume do we, we know he was talking about this thread as he clearly stated it.

3. More strawmen. He clearly states in this thread and he was clearly right when he posted it....

davidheath461 wrote:
The problem is that that you're arguing against imaginery people (or people from other forums, facebook comments, youtube comments etc.).

I don't see any Alonso fans in this thread making claims that Alonso is the best of his generation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm 

Hey, guys... Can I have a dollar for every time my name is mentioned without me being the discussion? Perhaps I should be flattered that my opinion, or what someone(s) thinks is my opinion, is so worthy of discussion!
:lol:

I am not sure I understand what the issue is, but let it be known... Yes, MANY do think that Alonso is the best of this generation of drivers. Yes, I am one who believes that. No, I am no more an Alonso fan than I am many of the other drivers, but I cheer for and support the boys in the red cars with Prancing Horses in the logo. I just don't happen to believe that Seb, Kmi, or Lewis are as good as Nando... I believe that is my right of opinion.

One doesn't have to drive for Ferrari, Merc, or such to be the best. One does not have to have 3 or 4 WDCs to be the best. There is no definition to "best" that defines it as the most WDCs in a top car.
Stirling Moss was probably the best driver post Fangio up to Clark's heyday. yet he never even won 1 WDC and was often in something less than the top car(s). You simply cannot confuse "best" with most "successful"... they can be one and the same, but do not have to be.

Lastly, if someone has their nose out of joint because I, and others, feel that Fernando Alonso is better than their living idol... so be it.
;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:

DavidHeath states that Alonso supporters themselves do not call Alonso the best driver of his generation which I kind of find strange in itself as it must be only none supporters that say this?

I didn't say that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I didn't say that.

I stand corrected no Alonso fan that posted in this thread actually said that Alonso is the best driver of his generation.

Last edited by pokerman on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm 

Blake wrote:
Hey, guys... Can I have a dollar for every time my name is mentioned without me being the discussion? Perhaps I should be flattered that my opinion, or what someone(s) thinks is my opinion, is so worthy of discussion!
:lol:

I am not sure I understand what the issue is, but let it be known... Yes, MANY do think that Alonso is the best of this generation of drivers. Yes, I am one who believes that. No, I am no more an Alonso fan than I am many of the other drivers, but I cheer for and support the boys in the red cars with Prancing Horses in the logo. I just don't happen to believe that Seb, Kmi, or Lewis are as good as Nando... I believe that is my right of opinion.

One doesn't have to drive for Ferrari, Merc, or such to be the best. One does not have to have 3 or 4 WDCs to be the best. There is no definition to "best" that defines it as the most WDCs in a top car.
Stirling Moss was probably the best driver post Fangio up to Clark's heyday. yet he never even won 1 WDC and was often in something less than the top car(s). You simply cannot confuse "best" with most "successful"... they can be one and the same, but do not have to be.

Lastly, if someone has their nose out of joint because I, and others, feel that Fernando Alonso is better than their living idol... so be it.
;)

That being said why don't either Ferrari or Mercedes want him if he is the best driver of his generation, is it because of what Brundle says or maybe as put forward by one poster he's basically too old for another contract which I find hard to believe.

You being a Ferrari fan Blake why does your beloved team not want Alonso back even amongst rumours of Vettel only wanting a 1 year contract?