planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 pm 

Last year I observed trends, in a rather dorky thread, and the conclusion was that any driver who has won the first 4 races of a season has become champion that season, without fail. It proved true with Rosberg.

This year, I have two other infallible trends I've observed:

1. Any driver in the entire history of F1, who has won in both Melbourne and Sakhir in the same season, has become champion that year.

2. Any driver in the entire history of F1, who has won in both Melbourne and Hungary in the same season, has become champion that year.

Of course, I use "in the entire history of F1", but Melbourne and Sakhir have only been in F1 since 1996 and 2004 respectively. Oh, how clever of me. :lol:

Sebastian Vettel has achieved both points this year. So, it points to him being the champion this year.

Of course, these things can stop working too. Since 1950, NO driver had ever been champion while having lesser wins, lesser podiums AND lesser poles than another driver. If they lacked in wins, they'd have more podiums. Or poles. But Rosberg was behind Hamilton in all 3 categories last year. Yet he became champion breaking a 66 years old streak.

Sebastian loves F1 history, so I hope he continues the traditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:00 pm 

Fine, never mind.

Last edited by Alienturnedhuman on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:43 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I point you to this:

https://xkcd.com/1122/

There will 'traditions' that would 'point' to Hamilton becoming WDC as well that will get broken if Vettel wins.

... I assume you are entirely aware that everyone who will participate in this thread knows that, and are just engaging in some lighthearted statistical fun?

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 am 

Any driver who has had 3 Grand Chelems in one year has become champion that year. In fact, they dominated the season.

Ascari in 1952, Clark in 1963, Mansell in 1992.

Hamilton has had 3 this season.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 am 

Some record / trend will have to be broken then! What I love is that it is still (at least presently) so unpredictable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:35 pm 

These casual trends are made to be broken, they are entertaining to hear some times but at others were you hear commentators using them like they have actual statistical meaning (crofty) its quite annoying.

Nico pulled off one last year that you would think was impossible to do;

Win the WDC win less wins, podiums, poles, fastest laps and laps lead than another driver, whilst also being behind in race and and qualifying head to heads. Basically every stat used to compare team mates he lost on (all be it, narrowly)
The only measurable statistic Nico was ahead on was races finished and that is what won him the title. If you told me all that information before the season, I would be willing to bet my house he didn't win the title.

My other personal favourite F1 pattern is JV and MS won 12 of the 17 races in 1997 between them. Both were on the podium 8 times and of the 17 races, 16 of them had at least one of them on the podium - all of that and they never stood on the podium together during the entire season. Amazing.

Sorry to derail your friend a bit, I don't have any for 2017, except Vettel has finished ahead of Hamilton in 3/3 of the races beginning with A, so get your bets on for Abu Dhabi ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 pm 

lamo wrote:
... I don't have any for 2017, except Vettel has finished ahead of Hamilton in 3/3 of the races beginning with A, so get your bets on for Abu Dhabi ;)
Watch this space for the tifosi to insist on having Monza spelt backwards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 pm 

LoL.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 am 

lamo wrote:
These casual trends are made to be broken, they are entertaining to hear some times but at others were you hear commentators using them like they have actual statistical meaning (crofty) its quite annoying.

Nico pulled off one last year that you would think was impossible to do;

Win the WDC win less wins, podiums, poles, fastest laps and laps lead than another driver, whilst also being behind in race and and qualifying head to heads. Basically every stat used to compare team mates he lost on (all be it, narrowly)
The only measurable statistic Nico was ahead on was races finished and that is what won him the title. If you told me all that information before the season, I would be willing to bet my house he didn't win the title.

My other personal favourite F1 pattern is JV and MS won 12 of the 17 races in 1997 between them. Both were on the podium 8 times and of the 17 races, 16 of them had at least one of them on the podium - all of that and they never stood on the podium together during the entire season. Amazing.

Sorry to derail your friend a bit, I don't have any for 2017, except Vettel has finished ahead of Hamilton in 3/3 of the races beginning with A, so get your bets on for Abu Dhabi ;)

And points. ;)