planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Team orders at Mercedes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:55 pm 

Does it officially confirm that Bottas is officially the number 2 driver at Mercedes? Will he give up his title ambitions to win a new contract?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:00 pm 

No, he gave Lewis the chance to pass Kimi as Lewis was clearly the faster driver. If he was number 2 he'd not have been given the place back.

End of discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:04 pm 

Quark wrote:
Does it officially confirm that Bottas is officially the number 2 driver at Mercedes? Will he give up his title ambitions to win a new contract?

With Toto being his manager, he's bound to get a contract.

Mercedes will only back either driver when the other driver falls back in the WDC table. This is quite evident with Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:06 pm 

Don't think so. We've seen this with other teams over the years. And ultimately Bottas finished the race ahead of Hamilton. As fair as can be

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:15 pm 

Yeah hats off to Mercedes, didn't expect them to give the place back.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:04 pm 

Covalent wrote:

This has more to do with Hamilton than Mercedes.
Alonso, Vettel would not have done what Hamilton did today.

Lewis is actually one of the most fairer drivers on the grid and I support him because I believe in honor and integrity, and he has plenty of it(Not that the 2 other multiple WDCs have none of it, but not enough for me to fully support and respect them).
There are things more important than WDC points.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:07 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Lewis is actually one of the most fairer drivers on the grid and I support him because I believe in honor and integrity, and he has plenty of it(Not that the 2 other multiple WDCs have none of it, but not enough for me to fully support and respect them).

Jep, Hamilton is the most humble of the top drivers. :thumbup:

Don't expect the Hamilton-haters to give credit where credit is due though. Haters gonna hate, better ignore it.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Don't expect the Hamilton-haters to give credit where credit is due though. Haters gonna hate, better ignore it.

Have you not read the race thread? MANY drivers gave Hamilton credit, even several whom you would likely call a "hamilton-hater". Perhaps you should go read it, then come back and give credit were credit is due in that situation. BTW, most of those critical of Hamilton giving back that position were NOT Hamilton critics, instead more of the fan variety upset that he gave back 3 points.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

I have not no, been at work. Missed the race, just came home.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:

You don't know that. I didn't think Lewis would give it back either, but he did. Fair play to him...and a smart move as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:14 pm 

While Ferrari refuses to give Kimi a fair chance.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:17 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

It's only because he's so far off in the itle race.

Aren't Ferrari so adamant on being secretly strict about having a no.1 & no.2 driver?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:23 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Aren't Ferrari so adamant on being secretly strict about having a no.1 & no.2 driver?

And how is he supposed to close gap? by finishing races behind his teammate?
Is the 5th race enough to decide who is out of the championship?

This excuse of being out of the title race we keep hearing it coming ONLY from "Ferrari"(who knows why it doesn't happen in the other teams. Coincidence?).

I have been very critical of Raikkonen but I have been surprised by his pace in the last races. If only he could unleash his potential.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:31 pm 

Jep, Kimi is underrated, and Vettel is overrated. They are actually quite close pacewise.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:32 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Jep, Kimi is underrated, and Vettel is overrated. They are actually quite close pacewise.

Rarely

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:32 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

And how is he supposed to close gap? by finishing races behind his teammate?
Is the 5th race enough to decide who is out of the championship?

This excuse of being out of the title race we keep hearing it coming ONLY from "Ferrari"(who knows why it doesn't happen in the other teams. Coincidence?).

I have been very critical of Raikkonen but I have been surprised by his pace in the last races. If only he could unleash his potential.

By qualifying ahead and driving clear in front and not having to bump wheels with team mate to win that place.

Even when he qualified ahead, on at least 2 occasions he couldnt keep Vettel behind him, not just Vettel, but bunch of other cars as well.

Lets face it, today was the strongest drive that Kimi had all season and he even ran that close to Vettel because of an issue on other car. Even in Monaco, it was clear that Vettel had plenty of speed in reserve. Even after that he had whole bunch of races where he could not keep up with the leaders and at times even RedBulls.

The position Kimi finds himself in is all down to himself. Not Vettel, not Ferrari team orders. Its all on him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

Eh? Kimi outqualfies Vettel occasionally and outpaces him in the race very, very rarely. 2-3 times a year at best. Most of the time Vettel is significantly quicker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

Covalent wrote:

I didn't expect either. And it looks to me Bottas did not either.
Though, I would put this solely on Lewis alone, being hit by the lightening of sportsmanship. He had good reason not to do it. After Bottas let him pass, he apparently gave up and fell behind with Max closing on him. I doubt that he was ever really threatened by Max, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:56 pm 

Prema wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Though, I would put this solely on Lewis alone, being hit by the lightening of sportsmanship. He had good reason not to do it. After Bottas let him pass, he apparently gave up and fell behind with Max closing on him. I doubt that he was ever really threatened by Max, though.

This was only possible at Mercedes because of Bottas. This would've been impossible last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:00 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Prema wrote:
Covalent wrote:

This was only possible at Mercedes because of Bottas. This would've been impossible last year.

I don't think that's fair. Last year, and the two before that, was a two-driver Championship. Why would one go out of their way to help another? After all, Hamilton didn't let his team mate past at this race in 2014, did he? Why is it Bottas in particular that's made the difference?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:02 pm 

Prema wrote:

Lewis is still on pace for WDC this year. It was good to see him give the place back, but it was no great sacrifice considering that Bottas had him beat without team orders.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:02 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

The only way you could say they were close would be in one lap pace, but even there Vettel is usually faster. During the races Vettel is more often than not considerably quicker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:04 pm 

Blake wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:

You don't know that. I didn't think Lewis would give it back either, but he did. Fair play to him...and a smart move as well.

He only got the place via a promise to give it back, so he couldn't do much else, really. If he hadn't he could kiss goodbye to his team mate helping him ever again

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:12 pm 

He didn't need to do that today, and I respect Hamilton loads for doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:15 pm 

I think what we saw today made it 100% clear that Bottas and Hamilton and equals and Mercedes race each race to maximise the team result.

Bottas did his usual, only good on one compound tyre. Not a single race has he been strong on both, even with his charge last race in Silverstone, his pace was actually weak when on that SS charge. If it was a track overtaking was possible on, Hamilton probably would have won or been 2nd behind Kimi today, with Bottas 4th. Bottas reminds me of Heikki, very good over 1 lap, questionable race pace. Although Bottas usually has good race pace on 1 tyre, Heikki was just plain weak in the race.

Pretty clear today, Mercedes race each race to maximise the team result regardless of drivers. Ferrari race each race to maximise Vettels results and actively slow Raikkonen down - they pitted him because he was going to over cut Vettel and take the lead today. If they were equals, Kimi would have 2 wins this year now (Monaco and Hungary) both of which they pitted him at that point so Vettel won or at least gave Vettel a chance to win (Monaco). The lap Kimi pitted today was about to be the fastest lap of the race, his in lap was 1.6 seconds quicker than Vettels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 pm 

Kimi only has himself to blame for his current de-facto no2 status. If he started the seasons more sharply and did not get so behind the other three top drivers he would not force Ferrari to concentrate on Vettel's wdc chance because he has left the wcc as a long shot now due to his lagging behind. I have noticed that he does do well against Vettel on certain tracks each year but that means nothing if he cant stay in touch on Vettel's tracks. Next year he has to be more alert and on it from race 1 and force Ferrari to pay him more attention from the get-go wrt to the wdc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:21 pm 

Calm now, I'm not digging at Vettel I'm just sharing my opinion.

The car is surely built to suit Vettel, and rightly so since he is better. The whole team is probably built around Vettel to give him the highest chance of the WDC, still rightly so.
That said Kimi gets a lot of flak from people saying he doesn't deserve the seat. He has outqualified Vettel a few times (one of them Monaco which he should have won), also he has been quicker at a few races too.
This season they are fairly close but Kimi will never get the chance if Ferrari can give the win to Vettel. Kimi will only be allowed to win if Vettel is too far back of has a DNF. How easy is it for Kimi the perform at the top knowing that he won't be allowed to win, and knowing everything is built around the other guy.

If Kimi is so bad as (some) people say he is then Vettel isn't that great either since he should beat Kimi by a larger margin than this.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

The car is surely built to suit Vettel, and rightly so since he is better. The whole team is probably built around Vettel to give him the highest chance of the WDC, still rightly so.
That said Kimi gets a lot of flak from people saying he doesn't deserve the seat. He has outqualified Vettel a few times (one of them Monaco which he should have won), also he has been quicker at a few races too.
This season they are fairly close but Kimi will never get the chance if Ferrari can give the win to Vettel. Kimi will only be allowed to win if Vettel is too far back of has a DNF. How easy is it for Kimi the perform at the top knowing that he won't be allowed to win, and knowing everything is built around the other guy.

If Kimi is so bad as (some) people say he is then Vettel isn't that great either since he should beat Kimi by a larger margin than this.

Same story with Massa and Alonso who was driving for(try to guess) Ferrari.
It is the Ferrari philosophy and you will notice Ferrari is the only top team with such a huge discrepancy in terms of points/performance between their 2 drivers.

Whoever drives for Ferrari and has the upper hand will have an excessively high gap and become the "best" driver. Coincidence??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:29 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

So much so for not having the said dig.
So you are saying that Ferrari gave the win to Vettel today?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

It is the Ferrari philosophy and you will notice Ferrari is the only top team with such a huge discrepancy in terms of points/performance between their 2 drivers.

Whoever drives for Ferrari and has the upper hand will have an excessively high gap and become the "best" driver. Coincidence??

Kimi and Massa?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:33 pm 

lamo wrote:
I think what we saw today made it 100% clear that Bottas and Hamilton and equals and Mercedes race each race to maximise the team result.

Bottas did his usual, only good on one compound tyre. Not a single race has he been strong on both, even with his charge last race in Silverstone, his pace was actually weak when on that SS charge. If it was a track overtaking was possible on, Hamilton probably would have won or been 2nd behind Kimi today, with Bottas 4th. Bottas reminds me of Heikki, very good over 1 lap, questionable race pace. Although Bottas usually has good race pace on 1 tyre, Heikki was just plain weak in the race.

Pretty clear today, Mercedes race each race to maximise the team result regardless of drivers. Ferrari race each race to maximise Vettels results and actively slow Raikkonen down - they pitted him because he was going to over cut Vettel and take the lead today. If they were equals, Kimi would have 2 wins this year now (Monaco and Hungary) both of which they pitted him at that point so Vettel won or at least gave Vettel a chance to win (Monaco). The lap Kimi pitted today was about to be the fastest lap of the race, his in lap was 1.6 seconds quicker than Vettels.

So, what you`re basically saying is that, Ferrari should let Kimi to overcut Vettel, but they should not allow Vettel to overcut Kimi in return! :lol:
Do you realize that only if Ferrari heavily favored Kimi over Vettel, only then Kimi would have had the 2 wins that you`re implying?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:36 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Kimi and Massa?

Yeah the anomaly just like Hamilton and Kovalainen were for McLaren.
Massa and Raikkonen were team mates for 2 years and a half. just like(more or less) Hamilton and Kovalainen.

Ferrari has always been #1/#2.
Explain how the #2 driver seems incapable/less likely to win races there compared to say McLaren/RedBull/Mercedes??

If you are a Top driver, driving for Ferrari will do good to your legacy, not only because of the brand and prestige, but because they will do ANYTHING to protect their #1 driver and make him successful.

Last edited by Pullrod on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

SmoothRide wrote:
Prema wrote:

Lewis is still on pace for WDC this year. It was good to see him give the place back, but it was no great sacrifice considering that Bottas had him beat without team orders.

Yes. Actually, many of us (from both sides of the fence) seam to be caught by a surprise seeing Lewis not do a non-sporty act of a broken deal towards his teammate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Explain how the #2 driver seems incapable/less likely to win races there compared to say McLaren/RedBull/Mercedes??

Ferrari employ elite drivers like Schumacher, Alonso and Vettel who are very difficult for their teammates to beat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:

Ferrari employ elite drivers like Schumacher, Alonso and Vettel who are very difficult for their teammates to beat?

Difficult or impossible?? ;)
There is no way(and I mean it) for Schumacher/Alonso/Vettel to win all the races for Mercedes or RedBull with the driver policy they have had in place.
Even Pedrosa beat Marquez once in a while. In Ferrari it just seems IMPOSSIBLE.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm 

Well I didn't expect that. Well done Lewis. And the hypocrisy from the CH4 Team, praising Lewis for his sportsmanship after dribbling on for ten laps about why he should be allowed to keep third!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm 

Migen wrote:
lamo wrote:

So, what you`re basically saying is that, Ferrari should let Kimi to overcut Vettel, but they should not allow Vettel to overcut Kimi in return! :lol:
Do you realize that only if Ferrari heavily favored Kimi over Vettel, only then Kimi would have had the 2 wins that you`re implying?

No, Kimi did not need favouring in Monaco or Hungary to win. He just needed the obvious decision at the time or equal treatment. Especially today. In Monaco we saw, Ferrari will do different things to give Vettel a chance to take the lead and today we saw if Kimi is about to take the lead then the opposite will occur, things will be done to make sure he doesn't.

In Monaco he was pitted too early, he pitted to cover a car that was 6 seconds behind him. He should have been kept out to see how the others performed on new tyres. Because it was clear that old tyres were quicker even before Kimi was pitted.

In Hungary he was pitted when he was just about to set the fastest lap of the race and over cut Vettel. Again, not favouring. If Kimi pitted first he would take the lead, if he pitted 2nd he just needed 2 laps to take the lead. The only way for Vettel to maintain the lead was pit first and Kimi pit the next lap. Ferrari managed it well, but Kimi was nearly too quick for them.

That is not favouring, that is just normal strategy. But Vettel is the better prospect for the title, so its perfectly understandable. Just a shame if you are Kimi or a Kimi fan.

Last edited by lamo on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 pm 

In Bahrain we saw team orders from mercedes too. also, lewis promised to give the place back, but never did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Didn't realize it was Lewis decision, if that's the case said hat goes off for Lewis.

I'm just going to ignore the "Haters gonna hate" rambling.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

hk77 wrote:
In Bahrain we saw team orders from mercedes too. also, lewis promised to give the place back, but never did.

Mercedes over ruled Hamilton in that situation and let him through without needing to give it back. The decision was that Hamilton would pass Bottas on track with 100% certainty due to their pace differential. Hamilton took nearly 8 seconds out of Bottas in 4 laps... Mercedes decided to let him by rather than have him take 3-4 laps and kill his tyres to do it by racing him.

Today was different because Hamilton could not pass Bottas on his own so needed to be let through for an attempt at Kimi.