planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 pm 

I don’t often contribute in this forum anymore because other’s have usually got it well covered, but the C4/FTA online catch up is shocking! It’s a full 7 to 8 hours after quali and I can’t even watch a summary on 4OD!

All that is on offer is a 3-minute piece which crashes after the first first 30 seconds! I’d be better off asking my 90-year old mum to try and record it on her VHS and post the tape to me! Pinnacle of technology my a-r-s-e!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm 

Its not designed to be good, to push you into paying for the real deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 am 

I agree. It's often terrible. Channel 4 is often the only non-BBC one i use (the iPlayer is usually pretty good)

Flash2k11 wrote:

Channel 4 don't have a pay to view option so, as far as i can see, there is nothing in it for them to delay uploading it. You still have to watch the ads whichever way you see it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:45 am 

They won't be able to stream the footage until at least the time they show the highlights show. There will be a stipulated time contracted with Sky as to when they can first broadcast this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
I agree. It's often terrible. Channel 4 is often the only non-BBC one i use (the iPlayer is usually pretty good)

Flash2k11 wrote:

Channel 4 don't have a pay to view option so, as far as i can see, there is nothing in it for them to delay uploading it. You still have to watch the ads whichever way you see it

Channel 5's on demand is great, no adverts either, pity they don't have anything worth watching!

Incidentally, Channel 4's website showing the race is on at 5pm today, not 5:15pm or 7:15pm as in my TV Mag.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am 

Biffa wrote:
I don’t often contribute in this forum anymore because other’s have usually got it well covered, but the C4/FTA online catch up is shocking! It’s a full 7 to 8 hours after quali and I can’t even watch a summary on 4OD!

All that is on offer is a 3-minute piece which crashes after the first first 30 seconds! I’d be better off asking my 90-year old mum to try and record it on her VHS and post the tape to me! Pinnacle of technology my a-r-s-e!

Just to say, the few times I've used 4oD and 5oD, it has been full of adverts, often playing the same 2 in the same order every 15 minutes or so. It also interrupts the program at moments that you just wouldn't expect it to. That is the only thing I think is unreasonable about them. So long as I use a decent web browser or something similar, it works fine. It even worked fine on my cheap tablet. If you have the ability to do this, recording the highlights that was on Channel 4 will be a better way to do it. You then know it certainly will work and you can skip through the adverts. I bought a cheap freeview HD box a few years ago and I have recorded every F1 race from when it stopped being on the BBC. It was under £30 and you can record the program onto a memory stick and then watch it later. I find that much better than using catch up as you can watch the session as soon as it has finished.

Channel 4 can't really help the time they make it available on their site. This weekend, it was already a highlights session. The highlights started 4 hours after the actual qualifying session had finished. Not bad at all really. They have it at the end of the day for a reason as that usually will be when more people can watch it. The highlights program finished an hour and a half later. So that is 5 and a bit hours. Up to 2 hours after a program has finished, that often seems to be the case with F1 on the BBC iplayer too. You often did have to wait quite some time after the program had finished before you could catch up, especially with live events. But to me, this is normal and is the reason why I record everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 am 

The iPlayer is easily the best catch up service. The features they introduced during the 2012 Olympics such as the two hour live rewind and live pause make it very flexible

For this reason i don't use my TV at all as you can drop in and out of live TV and see what you want

The (slight) downside is i don't watch ITV or any other channels due to not being able to skip the ads or pause the live stream

The exceptions to this (of course) are the online Channel 4 F1 coverage and ITV4 BTCC, which i'm watching now but may miss the middle race due the Hungarian Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:53 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
The iPlayer is easily the best catch up service. The features they introduced during the 2012 Olympics such as the two hour live rewind and live pause make it very flexible

For this reason i don't use my TV at all as you can drop in and out of live TV and see what you want

The (slight) downside is i don't watch ITV or any other channels due to not being able to skip the ads or pause the live stream

The exceptions to this (of course) are the online Channel 4 F1 coverage and ITV4 BTCC, which i'm watching now but may miss the middle race due the Hungarian Grand Prix

If I'm wanting to skip adverts on an advert channel, I watch it on a device you can pause it on. Adverts on Channel 4 take up around 20 minutes of the time in an hour and a half probably. So pause it for 20 minutes before hand, then watch and skip all the adverts. This is what is better about watching it on a divice that can pause and fast forward. Even live TV on the internet has disadvadvantages as if it has adverts, you can't skip them.
The other disadvantage I notice about Iplayer is both catch up and live TV there just isn't the same quality as when you record it or watch it on TV at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:43 pm 

Don't complain - in Oz we get no qualifying or practice sessions (except Oz GP), fewer than half the races, and the only thing we get for other races is a one hour 'highlights' (less than 40 minutes with exorbitant adds)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:38 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:

I do pay for everything, but there have been times in the past where I was busy for whatever reason during the race, and trying to watch a replay is a nightmare. There's no on-demand catch up for it on Sky, you have to wait until the prescribed time many hours later when they're showing the full repeat, and hope to avoid spoilers in the meantime. It is an area they could improve on dramatically.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm 

I bought a Humax FVP 4000T a while back and can not bull enough. Once something is recorded onto it, you can do what you want with it. 4 (or maybe 5, not sure) simultaneous recordings plus access to all the players. Well worth £200 of anyone's money

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm 

moby wrote:
I bought a Humax FVP 4000T a while back and can not bull enough. Once something is recorded onto it, you can do what you want with it. 4 (or maybe 5, not sure) simultaneous recordings plus access to all the players. Well worth £200 of anyone's money

Me too, newer ones have more facilities, but mine has been recording for 5 years plus, excellent value and functionality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 pm 

A lot of it is just f1 or non channel 4 programs. It's good for it's own programs.

But if you think f1 is bad on All 4, you should try watching formula e of channel 5's online service! Every double header this year, the first race isn't out until way after the second race over 24 hours later. And I'm still yet to find or watch the second New York race!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am 

minchy wrote:
A lot of it is just f1 or non channel 4 programs. It's good for it's own programs.

But if you think f1 is bad on All 4, you should try watching formula e of channel 5's online service! Every double header this year, the first race isn't out until way after the second race over 24 hours later. And I'm still yet to find or watch the second New York race!

Not only that, but they switch back and fore with Spike :?:
I originally signed up to get a reminder when it was on, but it seems to have stopped reminding me about April time. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm 

they will push it so far that only a few can afford it and then moan about viewing figures