planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 am 

Zazu wrote:
I'm at Catalunya and they actually look good trackside.

Interesting! Just to get a clearer picture, did you dislike the way they looked in photos beforehand?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 am 

Yes, was completely opposed

It looks better on some liveries than others. At round 2 no one will comment on the aesthetics because it looks normal very quickly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/MercedesAMGF1/ ... 11/?type=3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:42 pm 

This guy on instagram has a great idea for the Halo. Match it to the drivers helmet design. They look cool and make it easier to spot your driver. :thumbup:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfrCoVJFY9H/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 pm 

Matching it to the driver's helmet would be useful but i think a lot of people would complain it makes the halo more visible when they want it to be more hidden

Maybe next year when people have got used to it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 am 

I wonder if Indycar ace the screen development how long it'll be until F1 follow suit?

One advantage Indy has over F1 in using the screen is that Indy cars don't have an airbox above the driver. I'd imagine the installation of a screen on a F1 car would adversely affect air flow into the airbox to a certain degree, thus affecting engine cooling.

Would installation of a screen require a rethink on car design and engine cooling methods? Maybe raising the airbox or getting rid of it altogether?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Sorry, but I find the comment from Charlie Whiting patronising and completely missing the point, "fans will definitely know who is behind each Halo, they just need to look at the car numbers, helmets and cameras."

Its the drivers I want to see! Might as well have a closed cockpit if we are going to go by colour, shape and numbers!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/whiting-downplays-driver-confusion-with-halo/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:05 pm 

I think the Halo and tarmac run off's are safety measures taken that have seriously impact on the quality of the sport. Both should be reversed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 pm 

Anti-Halo Rant: I think this has to be the ultimate in anti-fan, anti-entertainment decisions made by the powers that be in F1. Basically, in order to protect against an extremely rare and flukey type of accident, we are going to install a device that accomplishes the following:
1. You know those cool helmet designs that your favorite drivers wear so you can tell them apart? We're going to completely block those so you can't see them!
2. You know those awesome onboard camera shots that fans love to watch? We're going to completely block those too!
3. You know those beautiful cars that the engineers design? We're going to attach a bulbous, hideous accessory right smack dab in the middle of them!

Awesome idea!

Honestly, in the last 40 years can you remember an F1 driver being struck by debrit other than Felipe Massa in 2009? Perhaps this device does improve safety but stopping one accident every few decades isn't worth this. I know that's not the PC point of view but let's be honest; if safety really came first for you, you would not race cars at 200 mph. There has to be a balance and this tips the scales too far IMO.

Rant complete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:17 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Anti-Halo Rant: I think this has to be the ultimate in anti-fan, anti-entertainment decisions made by the powers that be in F1. Basically, in order to protect against an extremely rare and flukey type of accident, we are going to install a device that accomplishes the following:
1. You know those cool helmet designs that your favorite drivers wear so you can tell them apart? We're going to completely block those so you can't see them!
2. You know those awesome onboard camera shots that fans love to watch? We're going to completely block those too!
3. You know those beautiful cars that the engineers design? We're going to attach a bulbous, hideous accessory right smack dab in the middle of them!

Awesome idea!

Honestly, in the last 40 years can you remember an F1 driver being struck by debrit other than Felipe Massa in 2009? Perhaps this device does improve safety but stopping one accident every few decades isn't worth this. I know that's not the PC point of view but let's be honest; if safety really came first for you, you would not race cars at 200 mph. There has to be a balance and this tips the scales too far IMO.

Rant complete

What I don't understand is why we had a raft of regs to make cars look better a few years ago? The thinking is so unjoined up. It's so F1.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

Awesome idea!

Rant complete

Tom Pryce, fatal accident Kyalami 1977.
Okay, that is 41 years ...

Markus Höttinger, was it 1981?
But that was in F2.

I do think, the fatal accident of Henry Surtees was more relevant here than Massa's.

But, yes, I agree with your rant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 am 

Watching the drivers twist and turn to get out of the Halo cockpits makes me wonder what will happen if they have to extract a driver under medical conditions.
It looks like it could be complicated, will they need to cut the Halo off I wonder?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 pm 

G926 wrote:
Watching the drivers twist and turn to get out of the Halo cockpits makes me wonder what will happen if they have to extract a driver under medical conditions.
It looks like it could be complicated, will they need to cut the Halo off I wonder?

Looking at the halo installations, I am wondering if there are attachment bolts or pins that keep the halo in place, in sockets perhaps. The halos might not be all that hard to remove.

The halo is designed to take an impact from the top, front or side. Would not have to be that strong against forces trying to lift them up off the chasis.

Just my conjecture.