planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 am 

Here's the updated list of penalty points heading to Hungary:

Driver - Penalty Points - Date of expiration
26. Kvyat - 9 - October 23, 2017 (2 points)
5. Vettel - 7 - October 2, 2017 (2 points)
55. Sainz - 7 - July 30, 2017 (2 points)
2. Vandoorne - 5 - April 30, 2018 (1 point)
11. Perez - 5 - September 17, 2017 (3 points)
20. Magnussen - 5 - October 23, 2017 (2 points)
30. Palmer - 5 - 27 November 2017 (2 points)
27. H├╝lkenberg - 4 - April 9, 2018 (4 points)
31. Ocon - 4 - September 18, 2017 (2 points)
8. Grosjean - 3 - April 8, 2018 (3 points)
44. Hamilton - 2 - 16 November 2018 (2 points)
94. Wehrlein - 2 - May 14, 2018 (2 points)
19. Massa - 2 - 13 November 2017 (2 points)
33. Verstappen - 1 - October 30, 2017 (1 point)

Kvyat close to being banned. Verstappen at the bottom of this list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 am 

Well, there are 6 drivers more who aren't even on the list. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am 

I thought penalty points lasted for twelve months? If they do, why will Hamilton get a penalty in Nov 17?

Last edited by shoot999 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 am 

Llotyhy wrote:

So they will be Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Bottas, Ericsson, Alonso and Stroll if I am correct. At leased 3 of these drivers have had rather a lot of criticism this year for not being good enough or being clumsy or other things. At leased they have no penalty points!
I personally think penalty points for what Kvyat did in Canada was just ridiculous though. It is true that he now has the most but I think 7 what he should have. Many believed Sainz should have be punished more than he was in Canada. I don't think 3 penalty points will have been too much for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am 

Bottas got penalty points last year for the collision with Hamilton. I felt that was ridiculously harsh for a run of the mill first corner accident. Same with Kyvat in Canada, also seemed harsh.

Whilst generally I think the penalty point system is good, penalties do seem to be subjective and inconsistent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

So they will be Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Bottas, Ericsson, Alonso and Stroll if I am correct. At leased 3 of these drivers have had rather a lot of criticism this year for not being good enough or being clumsy or other things. At leased they have no penalty points!
I personally think penalty points for what Kvyat did in Canada was just ridiculous though. It is true that he now has the most but I think 7 what he should have. Many believed Sainz should have be punished more than he was in Canada. I don't think 3 penalty points will have been too much for that.

Having no penalty points but being average at best is not exactly a great positive :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Having no penalty points but being average at best is not exactly a great positive :lol:

I know there are not exactly much positives to this. But I do think Stroll has got a fair bit better and Ericsson is nowhere near as bad as most think. I certainly think Ericsson is good enough to have another season in F1, and not just because of his sponsors and money. He has had several very reasonable races this year, quite often beating Wehrlien by quite some margin. The fact he has no championship points just don't make him look like he is decent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

I know there are not exactly much positives to this. But I do think Stroll has got a fair bit better and Ericsson is nowhere near as bad as most think. I certainly think Ericsson is good enough to have another season in F1, and not just because of his sponsors and money. He has had several very reasonable races this year, quite often beating Wehrlien by quite some margin. The fact he has no championship points just don't make him look like he is decent.

Yeah I do agree with those drivers. TBH I have had enough of Kimi who I think should have been out of F1 a number of years ago and seems to get more embarrassing the longer he stays. Kimi seems to have no enthusiasm for the sport but then does he for anything.

Vettel wants him so will stay another year. Problem is I doubt he will win you the WDC or take points of Vettels title rivals.

Get Max or Dan in the other Ferrari and lets have some fun :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 pm 

A few things have changed since this thread got created so I thought I may as as well update it.

Daniil Kvyat: 10

Sebastian Vettel: 7

Kevin Magnussen: 7

Sergio Perez: 6

Jolyon Palmer: 6

Carlos Sainz Jr.: 5

Felipe Massa: 5

Stoffel Vandoorne: 5

Esteban Ocon: 4

Nico Hulkenberg: 4

Max Verstappen: 3

Romain Grosjean: 3

Kimi Raikkonen: 3

Lewis Hamilton: 2

Pascal Wehrlein: 2

Jenson Button: 2

The drivers without penalty points:

Marcus Ericsson, Valtteri Bottas, Fernando Alonso, Daniel Ricciardo and Lance Stroll. Antonio Giovinazzi too I suppose if I include him.

For the fun of it, here is the Constructors penalty points Championship:

Toro Rosso: 15

Ferrari: 10

Hass: 10

Renault: 10

McLaren: 7

Force India: 5 I may be saying this a bit early, but Perez in dropping 3 points on 17.09.17 and Ocon is dropping 2 the day after. So they did have 10 but will result in 5 within a day.

Williams: 5

Red Bull: 3

Sauber: 2

Mercedes: 2

Toro Rosso are winning by a bigger margin than any of the teams are split up! But then the same goes for Kvyat actually with the drivers. He's got the most by 3 and all the others are more balanced out.

Another thing to add is the reprimands:

Sergio Perez 2
Carlos Sainz Jr. 1
Sebastian Vettel 1
Lance Stroll 1
Daniel Ricciardo 1

While Perez had looked very good at times this year, he isn't doing that well for penalty points and reprimands.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 pm 

Another update for this page:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/standings ... lty+points

Very interesting that there are now only 2 drivers on the grid that don't have any. I made a mistake the other day and didn't notice Ricciardo didn't have any. But it is just him and Bottas. Then next, Stroll is the one who has the least at 1. Bottas may not be doing great performances, but unlike virtually everyone else, he's good at keeping out of trouble and not breaking the rules.

Just noticed that Ericsson got 2 penalty points for his contact with Magnussen. I know some people may be tyred of me seeming like a fan of Ericsson but don't you think this is extremely harsh? a 5 second penalty and a 2 points on top of that. Vergne got basically the same penalty in 2014 when he spun Grosjean at that very corner. I think I remember him getting a 5 second penalty but not sure about anything else. Ericsson affected his own race as well as Magnussen's. But I thought that it was more like a racing incident. I thought this too with the 2014 incident with Grosjean and Vergne. Anyone else have a different view? The commentators on Channel 4 were surprised when Ericsson got a penalty for this and this was well before he had 2 penalty points added on top.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 pm 

I don't recall the older incident but I definitely think this is pretty harsh. Even as somewhat of a Haas fan on replay I thought it looked like a racing incident to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I don't recall the older incident but I definitely think this is pretty harsh. Even as somewhat of a Haas fan on replay I thought it looked like a racing incident to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJLgpZFlzKQ

I didn't quite remember it right. It looks nothing like as bad. But it damaged Grosjean's steering and he had simply terrible over steer for the rest of the race. But it basically was an overtake that resulted in damage. Where as with Ericsson, I thought Magnussen just spun and Ericsson caused damage to his own front wing. But yes, spinning did result in Magnussen suffering more. I still think the incidents are similar. And I still think 2 penalty points is really harsh for what Ericsson did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:09 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Another update for this page:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/standings ... lty+points

Very interesting that there are now only 2 drivers on the grid that don't have any. I made a mistake the other day and didn't notice Ricciardo didn't have any. But it is just him and Bottas. Then next, Stroll is the one who has the least at 1. Bottas may not be doing great performances, but unlike virtually everyone else, he's good at keeping out of trouble and not breaking the rules.

Just noticed that Ericsson got 2 penalty points for his contact with Magnussen. I know some people may be tyred of me seeming like a fan of Ericsson but don't you think this is extremely harsh? a 5 second penalty and a 2 points on top of that. Vergne got basically the same penalty in 2014 when he spun Grosjean at that very corner. I think I remember him getting a 5 second penalty but not sure about anything else. Ericsson affected his own race as well as Magnussen's. But I thought that it was more like a racing incident. I thought this too with the 2014 incident with Grosjean and Vergne. Anyone else have a different view? The commentators on Channel 4 were surprised when Ericsson got a penalty for this and this was well before he had 2 penalty points added on top.

I wouldn't read to much into it. The handing out of penalty points seems completely random. Sometimes you get them others it's just like they forget.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 pm 

Well... Kvyat doesn't have to worry anymore ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm 

Ironically, the top 2 are not in F1 anymore.

The next worst i.e. Magnussen, is really pushing for a race ban.