planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Verstappen makes a big enough fuss he will be out. See Sainz.

Is Sainz out, he's apparently only out on loan?


Pretty sure Red Bull insisted he would be driving for STR in 2018. Sainz said he would be driving elsewhere. Who got what they wanted?


The way I got it: Sainz said he will never drive for STR again, RBR indicated he's only on loan. So if Ricciardo or Verstappen leave for 2019, then Sainz will be at RBR for 2019, but he's not coming back to STR.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12378
mds wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Verstappen makes a big enough fuss he will be out. See Sainz.

Is Sainz out, he's apparently only out on loan?


Pretty sure Red Bull insisted he would be driving for STR in 2018. Sainz said he would be driving elsewhere. Who got what they wanted?


The way I got it: Sainz said he will never drive for STR again, RBR indicated he's only on loan. So if Ricciardo or Verstappen leave for 2019, then Sainz will be at RBR for 2019, but he's not coming back to STR.


Yeah that's the situation now. If you remember way back in the Canada press conference Sainz said he probably wouldn't be driving for STR in 2018. Red Bull came out, gave him a dressing down and reminded him he had a contract and said he would definitely be driving an STR in 2018.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Verstappen makes a big enough fuss he will be out. See Sainz.

Is Sainz out, he's apparently only out on loan?


Pretty sure Red Bull insisted he would be driving for STR in 2018. Sainz said he would be driving elsewhere. Who got what they wanted?

My impression is that it was Renault that got what they wanted, did Sainz know about the Honda deal with STR months before it happened?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
mds wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Verstappen makes a big enough fuss he will be out. See Sainz.

Is Sainz out, he's apparently only out on loan?


Pretty sure Red Bull insisted he would be driving for STR in 2018. Sainz said he would be driving elsewhere. Who got what they wanted?


The way I got it: Sainz said he will never drive for STR again, RBR indicated he's only on loan. So if Ricciardo or Verstappen leave for 2019, then Sainz will be at RBR for 2019, but he's not coming back to STR.

Yes he only comes back to race for RBR.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/13246 ... r-up-in-f2
Have you seen this? Not the part about Norris and Russell potentially being teammates next year but the part about Lance Stroll's father vetoing Norris at Prema? This seems bizarre to me. I don't want to get out the tin foil hat but...

Also on a totally tangential note: has there been any news on Alonso re-signing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
sandman1347 wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/132469/norris-and-russell-tipped-to-pair-up-in-f2
Have you seen this? Not the part about Norris and Russell potentially being teammates next year but the part about Lance Stroll's father vetoing Norris at Prema? This seems bizarre to me. I don't want to get out the tin foil hat but...

Also on a totally tangential note: has there been any news on Alonso re-signing?

This is being discussed in the feeder series thread.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
^^ Tnx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Alonso extends his stay at McLaren:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/885112/1/mclaren-confirms-alonso-for-f1-2018

Made possible only cause of Renault engine.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
McLaren could have a Papaya Orange livery next year:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-could-switch-to-papaya-livery-in-2018-968309/

We all want it back in F1.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4534
It's weird that McLaren is going back to orange just as tons of that color is showing up in the stands from Max fans.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9720
Location: Ireland
RaggedMan wrote:
It's weird that McLaren is going back to orange just as tons of that color is showing up in the stands from Max fans.

The fans want it and it appears Zak Brown is listening

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Sauber plans to announce its lineup during the next grand prix weekend in ABu Dhabi:
http://readmotorsport.com/2017/11/11/sauber-aims-announce-2018-line-abu-dhabi/

Am sure Leclerc will get the seat along Ericsson.

As for Williams, they're not in a hurry to announce the lineup even though we know Massa for sure is retiring. They're with their hands full when it comes to options, most notably Kubica, who will get another running at the post race tyre test in Abu Dhabi:
https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360826/

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 93
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sauber plans to announce its lineup during the next grand prix weekend in ABu Dhabi:
http://readmotorsport.com/2017/11/11/sauber-aims-announce-2018-line-abu-dhabi/

Am sure Leclerc will get the seat along Ericsson.

As for Williams, they're not in a hurry to announce the lineup even though we know Massa for sure is retiring. They're with their hands full when it comes to options, most notably Kubica, who will get another running at the post race tyre test in Abu Dhabi:
https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360826/


The speed with which they plan announce this suggests you are right. If Ericcson's position was under threat then I imagine Sauber would be waiting to see who Williams signed and pick up the best leftover.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12378
BMWSauber84 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sauber plans to announce its lineup during the next grand prix weekend in ABu Dhabi:
http://readmotorsport.com/2017/11/11/sauber-aims-announce-2018-line-abu-dhabi/

Am sure Leclerc will get the seat along Ericsson.

As for Williams, they're not in a hurry to announce the lineup even though we know Massa for sure is retiring. They're with their hands full when it comes to options, most notably Kubica, who will get another running at the post race tyre test in Abu Dhabi:
https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360826/


The speed with which they plan announce this suggests you are right. If Ericcson's position was under threat then I imagine Sauber would be waiting to see who Williams signed and pick up the best leftover.


It's Ericsson or Giovinazzi for the 2nd seat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
As per a French Channel Canal +, Kubica is set to join Williams for 2018:
http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/334782,Polish-F1-racer-to-join-Williams-report

Don't know how credible it is but this seems the most likely.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Toro Rosso are soon expected to confirm Hartley & Gasly:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro-rosso-set-to-confirm-gasly-and-hartley-for-2018-978533/

No surprises here.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
UnlikeUday wrote:
As per a French Channel Canal +, Kubica is set to join Williams for 2018:
http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/334782,Polish-F1-racer-to-join-Williams-report

Don't know how credible it is but this seems the most likely.

If true I wish all the best for Kubica but going forward how do we judge his performance against Stroll who is possibly the slowest driver in F1?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 683
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
As per a French Channel Canal +, Kubica is set to join Williams for 2018:
http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/334782,Polish-F1-racer-to-join-Williams-report

Don't know how credible it is but this seems the most likely.

If true I wish all the best for Kubica but going forward how do we judge his performance against Stroll who is possibly the slowest driver in F1?


Would be embarrassing for Lance to get thumped by Kubica.

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 105
Quote:
Robert Kubica has already been chosen to be the new Williams driver in 2018 to replace Felipe Massa. The news have been broken over the weekend by the French TV network Canal + and now can be confirmed by Diário Motorsport and GRANDE PRÊMIO. It is not currently known when the official announcement will be made, but at the moment it is just a formal procedure. The Polish support group is negotiating various operations to boost Kubica's return, and one of the parties involved in particular has even confirmed that the contract is already signed - without specifying, however, on what grounds.


https://twitter.com/grandepremio/status ... 1910262784
http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/f1/notic ... ir-de-2018

Source: Grande Prêmio (Brazilian site)


Last edited by Daniel Gallagher on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6752
Please, please, please be true!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
So not official then.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 105
UnlikeUday wrote:
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.


The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2649
I'm not convinced. I can't help but think that if it were official, Williams wouldn't have announced that Kubica was going to drive in the Abu Dhabi tyre test, not without confirming that he was going to race for them in 2018. Maybe that test is just to absolutely satisfy them that he's the right guy, or clear whatever lingering doubts they appear to have. But I don't feel like they're going to confirm it until after that test.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.


The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 105
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.


The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.


The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2649
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Already specified this in another thread, though the source was different:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14280&start=1280#p726427

Aka Silly Season 2018 thread.


The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9720
Location: Ireland
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

I would add the Massa/Brazil thing into the equation. Hold off until that was all out of the way

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2649
mcdo wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

I would add the Massa/Brazil thing into the equation. Hold off until that was all out of the way


Maybe, and perhaps when it is made official that Kubica will be driving in the Abu Dhabi tyre test, it'll come off the back of him being confirmed for 2018. And maybe it is all just Williams taking their time because they can. But based on the information we have right now, this delay plus their need to give him further running leaves me unconvinced they're convinced about him.

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Maybe, and perhaps when it is made official that Kubica will be driving in the Abu Dhabi tyre test, it'll come off the back of him being confirmed for 2018. And maybe it is all just Williams taking their time because they can. But based on the information we have right now, this delay plus their need to give him further running leaves me unconvinced they're convinced about him.


Either way it will be a gigantic leap of faith to hire a driver that hasn't raced single seaters since 2010 and give him a seat in F1.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 5376
mds wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Maybe, and perhaps when it is made official that Kubica will be driving in the Abu Dhabi tyre test, it'll come off the back of him being confirmed for 2018. And maybe it is all just Williams taking their time because they can. But based on the information we have right now, this delay plus their need to give him further running leaves me unconvinced they're convinced about him.


Either way it will be a gigantic leap of faith to hire a driver that hasn't raced single seaters since 2010 and give him a seat in F1.


I am sure the deal would have some caveats, like fitness tests, etc. Maybe they have lined up some other tests with older cars to test his ability to perform over a full GP distance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
The Brazilian site is spot on and they confirmed, rather than predicted, that Kubica signed with Williams.

As a journalist myself, I stand by their info.


The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Maybe, and perhaps when it is made official that Kubica will be driving in the Abu Dhabi tyre test, it'll come off the back of him being confirmed for 2018. And maybe it is all just Williams taking their time because they can. But based on the information we have right now, this delay plus their need to give him further running leaves me unconvinced they're convinced about him.


Either way it will be a gigantic leap of faith to hire a driver that hasn't raced single seaters since 2010 and give him a seat in F1.


I am sure the deal would have some caveats, like fitness tests, etc. Maybe they have lined up some other tests with older cars to test his ability to perform over a full GP distance.


No doubt and they already have done some tests in older cars. But there's also the thing of actually racing. Doing laps on your own is one thing, doing it in a pack of 19 drivers is something else. Especially when most of the racing he has done has been while alone on track (ERC/WRC2/WRC).

He was also supposed to run in LMP1 in 2017, and in an F-E event as well. Both failed to materialize.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21002
pokerman wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Daniel Gallagher wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

The reason I pointed to this thread is because it contains news about drivers who'll be racing in 2018.


I understand. This forum changed its rules and I wasn't aware for which I'm sorry. I have posted quite a few breaking news about driver changes (was only ever wrong in one when I posted about Raikkonen to Mercedes in 2012) and it was never merged with this thread.


No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
No sweat. Coming to the main point, Kubica returning will be such a great news. Williams also wouldn't want to look at any other option besides him.


And you know that... how, exactly? For all we know, he's struggling with long-run consistency, or struggling with his fitness levels, or there are other issues with which he has yet to convince Williams. If Williams can get Robert Kubica as he was prior to his accident then yes, I agree that they shouldn't need to look at any other option. But right now, it seems like they're hesitating to make a decision, instead feeling the need to give him further running. Perhaps that's because they have the best empty seat available and therefore are in no rush at all, but it does make me wonder a little bit if they remain unconvinced.

Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it

I think you have misread my post, it was Kubica that was stalling.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21002
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it

I think you have misread my post, it was Kubica that was stalling.

No I understood what you said. I wasn't criticising your post, just pointing out that Kubica can't really afford pride at this stage of his career and he should consider himself lucky that any team is willing to take what is after all a bit of a gamble on him


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it

I think you have misread my post, it was Kubica that was stalling.

No I understood what you said. I wasn't criticising your post, just pointing out that Kubica can't really afford pride at this stage of his career and he should consider himself lucky that any team is willing to take what is after all a bit of a gamble on him

Oh so the Williams safety net is receiving money from Kubica?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21002
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently it was Kubica stalling on signing the contract, he's basically been offered the drive because of the sponsorship he his bringing to the team, his pride was hurting because he didn't want to be seen as a pay driver, it's something that he has criticised in the past.

he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it

I think you have misread my post, it was Kubica that was stalling.

No I understood what you said. I wasn't criticising your post, just pointing out that Kubica can't really afford pride at this stage of his career and he should consider himself lucky that any team is willing to take what is after all a bit of a gamble on him

Oh so the Williams safety net is receiving money from Kubica?

gives them some mitigation for the risk, sure. They're the ones with the most to lose potentially


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
he's been given an amazing opportunity to resurrect his F1 career. Frankly, any team looking to take on a driver with his relatively little recent racing experience is taking a massive gamble. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure they get some safety net for it

I think you have misread my post, it was Kubica that was stalling.

No I understood what you said. I wasn't criticising your post, just pointing out that Kubica can't really afford pride at this stage of his career and he should consider himself lucky that any team is willing to take what is after all a bit of a gamble on him

Oh so the Williams safety net is receiving money from Kubica?

gives them some mitigation for the risk, sure. They're the ones with the most to lose potentially

That makes sense.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group