planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I remember talk of Alonso retiring back in 2013/14, he would have been around the same age Hamilton is now. Vettel will the next one in a couple of years time when he's the same age, that's just the age that the speculation starts seemingly.

A driver needs to show some sort of discontent with F1 for such speculation to have any substance, Alonso's only discontent was with Ferrari, indeed we had Alonso campaigning hard for a Mercedes seat in 2014, hardly signs of a driver on the brink of retirement.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Pokerman - I don't really understand your issue with people speculating about Hamilton's retirement date. he might retire in the next few years. He might not. So what? I don't see many people suggesting he is going to retire this year.

I think you have to remember that things can change. Rosberg wasn't going to retire until he decided he was etc.

Just because Hamilton is not thinking of retirement now doesn't mean he won't be in 12 months time.

I read some people speculating that he might retire at the end of this year, there is more being put on Hamilton packing in soon then any other driver.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I remember talk of Alonso retiring back in 2013/14, he would have been around the same age Hamilton is now. Vettel will the next one in a couple of years time when he's the same age, that's just the age that the speculation starts seemingly.

A driver needs to show some sort of discontent with F1 for such speculation to have any substance, Alonso's only discontent was with Ferrari, indeed we had Alonso campaigning hard for a Mercedes seat in 2014, hardly signs of a driver on the brink of retirement.

Not really. F1 drivers don't tend to make it to 40 in the sport so when a driver gets into their 30's speculation inevitably starts. Vettel will be the same soon enough, especially if he stays with Ferrari, he's only been 30 for little over a month but 2 years from now people will start speculating.

Well clearly we can see that Alonso wasn't thinking of retirement at all back in 13/14 but it was still being discussed as a possibility as it now with Hamilton, which was my point as you had said that other 30+ drivers hadn't been subject to the same speculation. I'm not sure why you're taking offence to the thought of Hamilton retiring as though it's an attack on him though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pokerman - I don't really understand your issue with people speculating about Hamilton's retirement date. he might retire in the next few years. He might not. So what? I don't see many people suggesting he is going to retire this year.

I think you have to remember that things can change. Rosberg wasn't going to retire until he decided he was etc.

Just because Hamilton is not thinking of retirement now doesn't mean he won't be in 12 months time.

I read some people speculating that he might retire at the end of this year, there is more being put on Hamilton packing in soon then any other driver.

I don't understand why you have an issue with that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Neither do I. Hamilton might opt to retire at the end of the season. He might remain in F1 for another several years yet. Nobody knows what is going on in his head, all we know is that he's 32 years old and he's therefore at a point in his career where it isn't unthinkable that he could decide he's had enough of F1.

I think with Lewis as well, there is always that undercurrent that he's not as focused on F1 as others, and therefore isn't as committed. Go back a few weeks and there was the whole F1 London Live situation, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
The only link in this respect to Rosberg is that he was his teammate otherwise why Hamilton and not say Alonso who is older?

I don't understand?

Rosberg is an F1 driver who quit suddenly without any evidence being that he was going to do so. The point being that it can happen. lac of evidence does not mean one cannot speculate as to Hamilton's retirement date.

I'm saying in that respect you can make the same case for any 30+ driver, It's strange how Hamilton is the only driver in this age range that people think might retire soon especially when he's not even given a hint that he is considering it.

Not so strange when Lewis makes comments on the lines of these:

"My destiny is in my own hands. I can decide to stop at the end of this year,"

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/10922119/lewis-hamilton-opens-door-to-f1-retirement-despite-enjoying-awesome-2017-competition

Now you can't read anything conclusive from that, but I'd suggest he'd media-savvy enough to know that saying things like that would be bound to cause speculation as to its meaning.

He was being asked a question about retirement because of Rosberg retiring, there's all kinds of quotes from him like he's driving better than he has ever had before and he sees himself retiring maybe at 37, he's still young and he's in his prime.

He mentions things like so long as he's driving well and he is in a good car then basically he's good to go.

which is why I said you can't read anything conclusive into it. But you stated there wasn't even a hint that he's considering it and that quote might be suggestive of a hint. Or it could be perfectly innocent. But things like this are what feed the flames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm 

pokerman wrote:
With Alonso it's clear he has no intention of packing in racing anytime soon, he has set himself goals past the end of his F1 career, his only problem presently is finding a better car.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of why people are speculating on Hamilton retiring. Goals. Alonso has set himself the goal of a third WDC, or - failing that - the Triple Crown. Hamilton, on the other hand, from very early in his career always talked about Senna's records, and how much it would mean to him to equal them. He's done that; he's achieved his goal. Schumacher's records have never mattered as much to him, so in fact there is something about him that's very much like Rosberg: he's done what he came to F1 to do.

Will he keep racing? Who knows. But there is a reason Hamilton might retire from F1 before he's old, if he's no longer motivated by just racking up more titles, wins, etc.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
With Alonso it's clear he has no intention of packing in racing anytime soon, he has set himself goals past the end of his F1 career, his only problem presently is finding a better car.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of why people are speculating on Hamilton retiring. Goals. Alonso has set himself the goal of a third WDC, or - failing that - the Triple Crown. Hamilton, on the other hand, from very early in his career always talked about Senna's records, and how much it would mean to him to equal them. He's done that; he's achieved his goal. Schumacher's records have never mattered as much to him, so in fact there is something about him that's very much like Rosberg: he's done what he came to F1 to do.

Will he keep racing? Who knows. But there is a reason Hamilton might retire from F1 before he's old, if he's no longer motivated by just racking up more titles, wins, etc.

Adding to that, I think there is a marked difference between Hamilton and the three drivers who are actually older than he is. Raikkonen has said he won't race for another F1 team besides Ferrari, so is basically a part of the F1 grid until Ferrari drop him. Massa has already been forced into retirement once, and you would assume that when Williams do eventually drop him a second time, he'd be faced with the same scenario he had last year. Their future lies very much in the hands of the team they're racing for. Alonso, meanwhile, wants to win another WDC but very clearly doesn't want another season in an uncompetitive car. I think it is fair to say that given a seat with Ferrari or Mercedes, he'd happily stay in F1. Given a McLaren capable of fighting for race wins, he'd happily stay in F1. But another season with a Honda-powered McLaren that is both woefully down on power and horribly unreliable? He'll surely depart F1, if not permanently then at least for a year. His future is out of his hands as well. On the other hand, Hamilton has what you would assume will remain a very competitive seat for at least a couple more years yet if he wants it. If he wants to keep racing and winning, he can. If he grows bored of that then he can simply walk away. That's not to say Massa/Alonso/Raikkonen can't simply retire/leave F1, but if they want to remain in F1 in a situation that is positive for them, they're relying on others giving them that opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am 

With Force India wanting to remove India from their name, there's a rumour that Lance Stroll's father is interested in investing in Force India, which would necessitate Lance moving over to FI.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37093.html

I know it's called 'Silly Season' but this is sillier!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
With Force India wanting to remove India from their name, there's a rumour that Lance Stroll's father is interested in investing in Force India, which would necessitate Lance moving over to FI.

Force Stroll? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm 

I think the fact that Seb only wants a one year deal with Ferrari speaks volumes - I feel that's more than a simple bargaining chip.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Not really. F1 drivers don't tend to make it to 40 in the sport so when a driver gets into their 30's speculation inevitably starts. Vettel will be the same soon enough, especially if he stays with Ferrari, he's only been 30 for little over a month but 2 years from now people will start speculating.

Well clearly we can see that Alonso wasn't thinking of retirement at all back in 13/14 but it was still being discussed as a possibility as it now with Hamilton, which was my point as you had said that other 30+ drivers hadn't been subject to the same speculation. I'm not sure why you're taking offence to the thought of Hamilton retiring as though it's an attack on him though.

That's because it's so prevalent, his possible decision to retire in the near future is talked about more than any other drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:19 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Because I don't understand why some people are so convinced that Hamilton will retire in the next year or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Neither do I. Hamilton might opt to retire at the end of the season. He might remain in F1 for another several years yet. Nobody knows what is going on in his head, all we know is that he's 32 years old and he's therefore at a point in his career where it isn't unthinkable that he could decide he's had enough of F1.

I think with Lewis as well, there is always that undercurrent that he's not as focused on F1 as others, and therefore isn't as committed. Go back a few weeks and there was the whole F1 London Live situation, for example.

His reason for that was that he needed some R&R to ready himself for Silverstone which he then dominated, hardly lack of focus more focusing on what he believed was more important for himself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don't understand?

Rosberg is an F1 driver who quit suddenly without any evidence being that he was going to do so. The point being that it can happen. lac of evidence does not mean one cannot speculate as to Hamilton's retirement date.

I'm saying in that respect you can make the same case for any 30+ driver, It's strange how Hamilton is the only driver in this age range that people think might retire soon especially when he's not even given a hint that he is considering it.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/10922119/lewis-hamilton-opens-door-to-f1-retirement-despite-enjoying-awesome-2017-competition

Now you can't read anything conclusive from that, but I'd suggest he'd media-savvy enough to know that saying things like that would be bound to cause speculation as to its meaning.

He was being asked a question about retirement because of Rosberg retiring, there's all kinds of quotes from him like he's driving better than he has ever had before and he sees himself retiring maybe at 37, he's still young and he's in his prime.

He mentions things like so long as he's driving well and he is in a good car then basically he's good to go.

which is why I said you can't read anything conclusive into it. But you stated there wasn't even a hint that he's considering it and that quote might be suggestive of a hint. Or it could be perfectly innocent. But things like this are what feed the flames

He was asked a question about retirement which he obviously had to reply to, that's all it takes it seems to reason that Hamilton could retire soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I take on board what you said in reference to Senna, but that being said if he was doing a Rosberg then he retires after 2015 in terms of titles, or at the end of this year after beating Senna's pole record, what's the likelihood?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm 

[quote="pokerman"]

If there was no chance a retirement was imminent why not rule it out?

He's put the possibility out their.

I'm still confused why you seem to care so much anyway? I personally think Hamilton will not be in F1 when he pushes into his late 30s. He seems like he has a lot of things he wants to do in his life and at some point he's just not going to need F1 anymore. F1 is a draining business. Especially for someone like Hamilton. He may just fancy doing something else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

It might sound a bit silly but in fact this how Pappa Stroll operates, he spends whatever it takes to get his son into a more favourable position, so in fact it's quite believable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
I think the fact that Seb only wants a one year deal with Ferrari speaks volumes - I feel that's more than a simple bargaining chip.

If he gets the deal what does that say of Alonso, basically Vettel would be controlling the driver market.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I'm still confused why you seem to care so much anyway? I personally think Hamilton will not be in F1 when he pushes into his late 30s. He seems like he has a lot of things he wants to do in his life and at some point he's just not going to need F1 anymore. F1 is a draining business. Especially for someone like Hamilton. He may just fancy doing something else.

He never said he was considering retirement he just said he could retire whenever he wants and even he retired now he still would have achieved enough to cement his standing in the sport.

As opposed to him also saying that he intends to sign another contract for 3 or 4 years then at age 37 he would then consider if he should retire.

One is making a statement of intent whilst the other is just hypothesising without any actual substance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

He never said he was considering retirement he just said he could retire whenever he wants and even he retired now he still would have achieved enough to cement his standing in the sport.

As opposed to him also saying that he intends to sign another contract for 3 or 4 years then at age 37 he would then consider if he should retire.

One is making a statement of intent whilst the other is just hypothesising without any actual substance.

Is it possible that Hamilton will retire in the next few years? Yes or No?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Few years is not very specific as it references more than 2 years, his contract runs out in 2019, are you giving this as his possible retirement date?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Few years is not very specific as it references more than 2 years, his contract runs out in 2019, are you giving this as his possible retirement date?

No. I am saying it is possible he might chose to retire this year, next year, year after etc. Whilst it is possible there is no reason not to discuss it.

Surely you have to acknowledge that it is possible Hamilton will retire at the end of the season? However slim you think that possibility is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

No. I am saying it is possible he might chose to retire this year, next year, year after etc. Whilst it is possible there is no reason not to discuss it.

Surely you have to acknowledge that it is possible Hamilton will retire at the end of the season? However slim you think that possibility is.

Of course he will retire sometime, you do realise that some posters are thinking he retires at the end of this season or next season, why is Hamilton in particular seen as being so much at risk of flight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Of course he will retire sometime, you do realise that some posters are thinking he retires at the end of this season or next season, why is Hamilton in particular seen as being so much at risk of flight.

It's possible he will so why not talk about it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I question why Hamilton seems to be first in the queue, he gets far more sound bites on this then any other driver.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I question why Hamilton seems to be first in the queue, he gets far more sound bites on this then any other driver.

I think people have given you their reasons. I still don't understand why this seems to be bumming you out so much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He was asked a question about retirement which he obviously had to reply to, that's all it takes it seems to reason that Hamilton could retire soon.

It's still a hint, though. If he opens the door to speculation then it's pretty obvious that people will speculate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm 

To retire, a driver needs either a good reason to be somewhere else, As Nico and a young family, or a good reason not to want to be there, erm, as Nico and his situation with Lewis.

Hamilton has whet is arguably the best car, gets understanding and support off the team and seems to get on OK with Botas.

He does like 'adoration', so possibly there are more reasons to go to Ferrari, but to retire? What would he replace it with?
Music? Has he run the drill and given up on this? or is it still enough of a draw? This is open ended and not (very) age dependent, as he is well out of the lower group and has time left to become one of the 'seniors'. No new kid, and what he wants to do, he does anyway.
I really can not see Lewis retire in the next 3 years minimum, unless something else becomes a bigger draw for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Nail. Head.

The reason no one is speculating a retirement from Hulkenberg or Grosjean is that they have not yet reached the goals every F1 driver set on themselves. You retire prematurely only when you have either reached your goal or realized you cannot.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 pm 

moby wrote:
To retire, a driver needs either a good reason to be somewhere else, As Nico and a young family, or a good reason not to want to be there, erm, as Nico and his situation with Lewis.

Hamilton has whet is arguably the best car, gets understanding and support off the team and seems to get on OK with Botas.

He does like 'adoration', so possibly there are more reasons to go to Ferrari, but to retire? What would he replace it with?
Music? Has he run the drill and given up on this? or is it still enough of a draw? This is open ended and not (very) age dependent, as he is well out of the lower group and has time left to become one of the 'seniors'. No new kid, and what he wants to do, he does anyway.
I really can not see Lewis retire in the next 3 years minimum, unless something else becomes a bigger draw for him.

Indeed the reasons given for Hamilton to retire have no real substance to them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Nail. Head.

The reason no one is speculating a retirement from Hulkenberg or Grosjean is that they have not yet reached the goals every F1 driver set on themselves. You retire prematurely only when you have either reached your goal or realized you cannot.

So what goals has Hamilton set, the 3 titles set by Senna which he achieved in 2015, Senna's pole position record which he broke this season, why is Hamilton still racing on if he has apparently reached all his goals?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Nail. Head.

So what goals has Hamilton set, the 3 titles set by Senna which he achieved in 2015, Senna's pole position record which he broke this season, why is Hamilton still racing on if he has apparently reached all his goals?

He only met the last one this year. If he doesn't retire at the end of this year, it means those goals weren't enough for him. But he certainly wasn't going to quit the Monday after the Canadian GP, was he?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

It could be a good investment. Give the other seat for sale, and that's it. Stroll certainly has some talent, will he develop, depends on himself only.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Nail. Head.

He only met the last one this year. If he doesn't retire at the end of this year, it means those goals weren't enough for him. But he certainly wasn't going to quit the Monday after the Canadian GP, was he?

Of course but then again who truly thinks that Hamilton will retire at the end of this year and perhaps more telling would they put a sizeable bet on it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm 

So what? I don't think Rowland is going to get the 2nd Renault seat either. Doesn't mean I can't speculate on it. Who would have put a bet on Rosberg retiring?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:04 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
So what? I don't think Rowland is going to get the 2nd Renault seat either. Doesn't mean I can't speculate on it. Who would have put a bet on Rosberg retiring?

I guess were different then, I wouldn't speculate on something that I never thought was going to happen, that's believing that you think it might happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I guess were different then, I wouldn't speculate on something that I never thought was going to happen, that's believing that you think it might happen.

What? Just because I don't think something is going to happen doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I don't think Bottas is going to win this year's WDC but it is possible so no reason not to discuss it.
I don't think Hamilton is going to retire this year but it is possible so no reason not to discuss it.

Earlier on in the thread you were adamant Giovinazzi was ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, now you acknowledge he isn't. Things change.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

What? Just because I don't think something is going to happen doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I don't think Bottas is going to win this year's WDC but it is possible so no reason not to discuss it.
I don't think Hamilton is going to retire this year but it is possible so no reason not to discuss it.

Earlier on in the thread you were adamant Giovinazzi was ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, now you acknowledge he isn't. Things change.

I posted last time as I was due to go out so it was a quick reply, speculating on drivers in contention for seats or the WDC title that are on a short list is not quite the same as out of the blue speculating that a driver is going to retire in 1 or 2 years time, countless times I've seen this in respect to Hamilton without any kind of hint from Hamilton himself, even giving reasons why Hamilton might retire despite all his personal goals being achieved and yet he races on, I just find it a bit strange why people feel that Hamilton in particular might lack motivation to carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I posted last time as I was due to go out so it was a quick reply, speculating on drivers in contention for seats or the WDC title that are on a short list is not quite the same as out of the blue speculating that a driver is going to retire in 1 or 2 years time, countless times I've seen this in respect to Hamilton without any kind of hint from Hamilton himself, even giving reasons why Hamilton might retire despite all his personal goals being achieved and yet he races on, I just find it a bit strange why people feel that Hamilton in particular might lack motivation to carry on.

As before, he has given hints?