planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/gp3/news/kub ... st-895950/

I'd be interested to know how his lap times compared with other drivers. He did more than 70 laps which is a good amount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am 

He should go to Formula E. I think that would be a big bopst for both the series and Kubica if he is up to it physically.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
He should go to Formula E. I think that would be a big bopst for both the series and Kubica if he is up to it physically.

I don't know if street circuit racing is the way to go. Apparently the likes of Monaco is the main reason why he couldn't do F1. I think WEC would be ideal - big wide open circuits. Just maybe if he can get into a better operation than ByKolles. LMP2 is mega competitive, surely one of those squads would love to have him

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am 

mcdo wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

I don't know if street circuit racing is the way to go. Apparently the likes of Monaco is the main reason why he couldn't do F1. I think WEC would be ideal - big wide open circuits. Just maybe if he can get into a better operation than ByKolles. LMP2 is mega competitive, surely one of those squads would love to have him

Forgive my ignorance - but why would street circuits be different than any other circuit in relation to Kubica's injury? Some 'open' circuits have just as tight corners as Monaco etc., are you talking about the tightness of the corners or the proximity of the barriers?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Forgive my ignorance - but why would street circuits be different than any other circuit in relation to Kubica's injury? Some 'open' circuits have just as tight corners as Monaco etc., are you talking about the tightness of the corners or the proximity of the barriers?

It's the tightness of the cockpit he has restricted mobility in his right arm/hand.

He basically had to have mobility controls fitted in his rally car.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 11th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm 

Does anybody know how Kubica has progressed with mobility in his arm and hand over the years? Is he slowly getting better and better with it. I read a few weeks ago the aim was to be back in F1 and he alluded to it was improving that this was now actually a possibility when it simply didn't seem possible 2-3 years ago.

If he continues to progress it could be realistic to see him back in F1 in 2 years time, he would still only be 34.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

Would it be possible though since he has been away from the sport so long? Surely he must have lost speed even though he is not too old? Also, who would offer him a seat?

Not that I would mind having him back on the grid, quite the opposite. I would really like to see him back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm 

lamo wrote:
Does anybody know how Kubica has progressed with mobility in his arm and hand over the years? Is he slowly getting better and better with it. I read a few weeks ago the aim was to be back in F1 and he alluded to it was improving that this was now actually a possibility when it simply didn't seem possible 2-3 years ago.

If he continues to progress it could be realistic to see him back in F1 in 2 years time, he would still only be 34.

The impression I got is that's not going to get any better than it is now.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 11th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Would it be possible though since he has been away from the sport so long? Surely he must have lost speed even though he is not too old? Also, who would offer him a seat?

Not that I would mind having him back on the grid, quite the opposite. I would really like to see him back.

I don't think it's realistic. But if it did turn out to be possible it would be one hell of a good news story for someone like... I dunno... Renault... to get him in for Abu Dhabi

Then he could hand the keys over to Alonso :o

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am 

Nice thoughts to see him back, but in reality he is 34 (?) does not have a full range of movement and had not driven a F1 car for 3+ years. Is it realistic to expect to see him in a F1 car?

Better to concentrate on Le Mans I think

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am 

moby wrote:
Nice thoughts to see him back, but in reality he is 34 (?) does not have a full range of movement and had not driven a F1 car for 3+ years. Is it realistic to expect to see him in a F1 car?

3+? It's been more than 6 years!

I agree with you - it had been great if we would still had him but the moment he crashed, his F1 career ended. Lots of people seem unable to accept it and let it go, but he'll never be in an F1 car again except for maybe some kind of demonstration event for fans.

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:40 am 

mds wrote:
moby wrote:

3+? It's been more than 6 years!

I agree with you - it had been great if we would still had him but the moment he crashed, his F1 career ended. Lots of people seem unable to accept it and let it go, but he'll never be in an F1 car again except for maybe some kind of demonstration event for fans.

I picked 3 years as thats how long the super licence lasts. He would have to re qualify would he not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:04 am 

Haha what a coincidence, just saw this on Reddit

From a primary school test in Poland, the question reads "Who was the first Polish ruler?"

:o :thumbup:

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am 

Stadler Nonshatter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 pm 

moby wrote:
Stadler Nonshatter?

source - http://i.imgur.com/dhMeAzK.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 am 

Tomorrow Robert Kubica will test Renault E20 on Ricardo Tormo Circuit

http://www.italiaracing.net/newsint.asp ... 8110&cat=1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm 

I'm not actually that fussed how quick he is or whether it will lead to a return of some sort. Just looking forward to seeing Robert Kubica back in an F1 car where he belongs :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm 

Kubica definetly had the talent and the class to be a great World Champion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 pm 

AquaManiac wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. What possible reason could there be to conduct this test other than for sentimental reasons? Surely they're not actually trying him out for the race seat???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:35 pm 

If this test goes well, I predict Renault will replace Palmer with Kubica straight away for the remainder of the season and fulfill at least the remainder of his then contract in 2011.
This way they don't have to pay to get drivers like Perez or Alonso out of their existing contracts and it keeps from stirring the pot in other those teams. It's one helluva longshot, but holy hell would I welcome this!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:39 pm 

j man wrote:
AquaManiac wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. What possible reason could there be to conduct this test other than for sentimental reasons? Surely they're not actually trying him out for the race seat???

Well Palmer sucks and Monaco which was the main problem track that Kubica can't do because of his injury is past now. I don't know what other tracks he can't do but if he jumps in and obliterates Palmer in the eyes/data of the engineers in this test it must be tempting for Renault to try and make something work.

Maybe he'd have to sit out some GP's but it would be great to have him back. Give him an FP session on a track he can do and lets see.

I understand I'm being hugely optimistic of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm 

Well Lotus49…

I'm not so sure you're being overly optimistic for the simple reason Kubica competed at a VERY high level in WRC which, as we all know is utter frantic chaos for a driver without any impediments to handle. As well, Kubica has recuperated quite well now 5 years since his accident. Since he's right handed, once his mind accepted he was as healed as he was going to get, muscle memory kicked in and he slowly began doing pretty much everything he used to with his right hand all over again. I've seen him chugging a soda and putting on a cap and he didn't look at all awkward or impeded.

I just don't see any reason why he won't be able to handle the rigors of F1 and do a superb job. You're either quick or you're not, and Kubica is naturally quick. Plus the PR it would generate for both the team and F1 would be sensational. It would almost certainly kill Palmers professional racing career though, unless he lands a rent-a-ride on a cash strapped team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Well Lotus49…

I'm not so sure you're being overly optimistic for the simple reason Kubica competed at a VERY high level in WRC which, as we all know is utter frantic chaos for a driver without any impediments to handle. As well, Kubica has recuperated quite well now 5 years since his accident. Since he's right handed, once his mind accepted he was as healed as he was going to get, muscle memory kicked in and he slowly began doing pretty much everything he used to with his right hand all over again. I've seen him chugging a soda and putting on a cap and he didn't look at all awkward or impeded.

I just don't see any reason why he won't be able to handle the rigors of F1 and do a superb job. You're either quick or you're not, and Kubica is naturally quick. Plus the PR it would generate for both the team and F1 would be sensational. It would almost certainly kill Palmers professional racing career though, unless he lands a rent-a-ride on a cash strapped team.

Oh I don't doubt his talents for a second and I'd love nothing more than him to replace Palmer immediately but i'm just still a bit wary of the injury and it's impact on certain tracks is all.

Monaco for example is one he's admitted he simply can't do because of the limited mobility he has and the tight cockpit of an F1 car. I can't recall the other problem tracks and of course there are tracks he can do fine by all accounts but it's the reason he hasn't been back so far so I think i'm being optimistic in wanting him to replace Palmer now and for those reasons to have disappeared.

But maybe the whole Alonso sitting one out, Button coming in thing and the change in ownership has piqued some interest at Renault or thought process whereby they are happy with him missing a few problem tracks on the calendar now, who knows.

I hope the test goes well enough to give them all the headache of what to do anyway!. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:53 am 

As they're bringing Sirotkin as well it must be some kind of benchmark test for Kubica.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:07 pm 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Kubica does better than Sirotkin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:45 pm 

Will Buxton just teased with this on his Twitter feed…

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/stat ... 4368154626

And Kubica posted this on his Twitter feed as well…

https://twitter.com/R_Kubica/status/872085687276683264

From Google translator…

"Mark Hughes of motorsportmagazine.com looked at Robert Kubica's current situation and summarized his conclusion that the Pole has a chance of returning to F1. All depends only on the GP Canada 2008 winner.

- Significant in tests [GP3 on the Franciacort track and Formula E at Donington track] was the assessment of the right-hand restriction and whether he still prevented him from driving one-way. The Franciacorta track was chosen due to the two tight turns that require a strong steering turn. Kubica happily admitted that he had no problems with the hand that had previously caused trouble. Natural questions are about the return to F1. Testing with the F1 team makes it not a sucker, "Hughes wrote.

"It's a man who can not live without competition. He is not interested in wealth or image, which is extremely unusual behavior. If he feels he can master a car on any track and withstand the more demanding cars of the 2017 season, he will be looking to return to F1. He is 32 years old - he added.

- Renault is very interested to guarantee him a serious test. Speculation raises Jolly Palmer's place. For the 2018 season talks with Renault leads Esteban Ocon, Carlos Sainz and Sergio Perez. Kubica can prove his attitude in the car and show that he is the best candidate. If next time we see him behind the hybrid Renault steering wheel, it will confirm this cooperation. Kubica is on the way back - he finished."

All sounds quite intriguing! Let's hope Renault offers some clarity on this sooner rather than later, but so far so good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 pm 

According to Sky Sports F1 he managed 115 laps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:
According to Sky Sports F1 he managed 115 laps.

According to Renault too:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm 

Kubica to replace Palmer, you heard it hear first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:53 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Kubica does better than Sirotkin.

He did apparently. Also read that he coped fine with 2 tight hairpins on that track so sounds quite promising. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:01 pm 

Couple of dodgy translations via bing and Google, one involving a penguin and the other 100 towers but anyway the gist is..

Kubica not penguin(!?!) ...
For his return in F1, a hundred laps, a race simulation and better times than Sirotkin.
Polak is back

Edited to add that comes from a journalist from L'Equipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm 

Does anyone know if his injury will affect his ability to get out of the car and replace the wheel in the required time?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Couple of dodgy translations via bing and Google, one involving a penguin and the other 100 towers but anyway the gist is..

Kubica not penguin(!?!) ...
For his return in F1, a hundred laps, a race simulation and better times than Sirotkin.
Polak is back

Edited to add that comes from a journalist from L'Equipe.

I'm glad I can out the penguin question to bed at last :]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:06 pm 

Lol, I don't suppose you know what it's supposed to be Zoue?. The other translation suggested "No one armed Kubica".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Lol, I don't suppose you know what it's supposed to be Zoue?. The other translation suggested "No one armed Kubica".
A manchot is also a one-armed person, so the gist is Kubica no longer has just one arm

Learn something new every day! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 pm 

before dismissing this "because of Monaco" you might want to take a quick squint at the 1972 race.
OK J-P Beltoise's disability was not as severe as Kubica's and the BRM was supposedly very tractable in the wet but it is still one hell of an achievement (more so when you consider the quality of the field)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:37 pm 

So this test happens as soon as the race he would have had difficulty with is done and dusted. Coincidence? Er, actually yeah probably but he couldn't do much worse than Palmer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
So this test happens as soon as the race he would have had difficulty with is done and dusted. Coincidence? Er, actually yeah probably but he couldn't do much worse than Palmer.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Is it that Renault put Kubica in the car after Monaco because it's the one track he couldn't cope with physically given his disability? I don't think they would be wasting valuable track time with a driver who does not factor in the future of the team. There is information now that Kubica ran over a hundred test laps and that he was better than Sirotkin, a "promising young talent". I still want to see a confirmation of that, but if Kubica was indeed faster over such a long test session, then it is obvious. He's back in F1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Does anyone know if his injury will affect his ability to get out of the car and replace the wheel in the required time?

I remember reading (I believe in the Sporting Regs) that even for testing drivers must demonstrate they can exit the vehicle in the appropriate amount of time or they're not allowed to drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 am 

Wow, the stars could be aligning for the best F1 comeback ever. Lets hope if happens and he still has the speed :thumbup: