planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 am 

Hmm, Practice starts...to check if he had the hand movement to operate the clutch paddles?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:38 am 

Looked like he was flogging it! That sound! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 am 

mds wrote:
moby wrote:
Nice thoughts to see him back, but in reality he is 34 (?) does not have a full range of movement and had not driven a F1 car for 3+ years. Is it realistic to expect to see him in a F1 car?

Better to concentrate on Le Mans I think

3+? It's been more than 6 years!

I agree with you - it had been great if we would still had him but the moment he crashed, his F1 career ended. Lots of people seem unable to accept it and let it go, but he'll never be in an F1 car again except for maybe some kind of demonstration event for fans.

Well, I'd love to be proven wrong as per my above post.

Still don't think this is that straightforward - even for a driver that is in perfect health, returning after having been out more than 6 seasons would be a daunting task. Would love to see it but this can go both ways.

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm 

It wasn't all positive, apparently the 6-year gap was evident
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubi ... st-915113/

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm 

mcdo wrote:

If you're referring to the "shows what I've lost" comment I don't think that's about losing speed/talent, reads to me as though he's talking about losing the opportunity to drive that machinery.

Pace wise he says in the article he was able to run at a good and consistent pace.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm 

Wonder if Renault are considering him as a replacement for Palmer (this year itself would be too early)?

If Renault have found his satisfactory, Renault could give him all the time & equipment he needs to get back to his competitive best for 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:30 pm 

No, I find it's pretty clear Robert is speaking about having lost ability in some capacity. HOWEVER… when it comes to top professionals, no one is a tougher critic on them than themselves. Kinda like Michael saying he felt Senna was the greatest driver of all time when in fact it was him.

Brian Regan summed it up with his bit about Captain Sully being a Hero… it's ok to be one, so long as you don't go around thinking it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 pm 

Re. Monaco - perhaps Kubica, if there is a return to F1 possible, could simply opt to do Indy 500, à-la-Fernando..?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:43 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Re. Monaco - perhaps Kubica, if there is a return to F1 possible, could simply opt to do Indy 500, à-la-Fernando..?

Wouldn't Singapore also be a hindrance?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:21 pm 

Amazing news!

Has anyone got the session times ??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:11 pm 

a comparison would be very unfair on him just yet , and I really hope he gets more tests

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

If you're referring to the "shows what I've lost" comment I don't think that's about losing speed/talent, reads to me as though he's talking about losing the opportunity to drive that machinery.

Pace wise he says in the article he was able to run at a good and consistent pace.

Never thought of it that way, you could be right. But was the 2012-spec F1 car that much of a dream to drive?

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:32 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Never thought of it that way, you could be right. But was the 2012-spec F1 car that much of a dream to drive?

I imagine any F1 car is a dream to drive so long as you don't have another car to measure it against- especially after 6 years away.

I could be wrong but to me the meaning of the quote looks like "mixed feelings, great to be back in an F1 car but it's made me realise what could have been/what I've been missing".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:54 pm 

What was his laptime compared to Sirotkin and 2012 drivers? Anyone have this? I cannot find it online.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm 

Ja'a wrote:
What was his laptime compared to Sirotkin and 2012 drivers? Anyone have this? I cannot find it online.

Nothing has been released and I don't expect that anything will be.

Also there was no race at that circuit in 2012 so there wouldn't be any comparisons to other drivers times in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 am 

Ja'a wrote:

On a first 10 lap stint he already was quicker by .45 sec.
Kubica mentioned that he could do it quicker by another 0.3-0.4 sec (due to getting used to new tires) but Renault did not have any more sets of soft tires available.
General impression was so good that Renault guys were asking Robert if he had any more "secret" tests before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm 

Just read that Kubica is set to replace Palmer for FP1 on Friday. Not sure how factually accurate that is so I wont post a link just yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this situation for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Just read that Kubica is set to replace Palmer for FP1 on Friday. Not sure how factually accurate that is so I wont post a link just yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this situation for sure.

Renault denied last week that there were any plans to get Kubica in for FP1 this year, but who knows, if he's physically capable I'd have him in the car over Palmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:47 pm 

The "what I lost" comments were in regards to his career and the opportunities he lost. Nothing to do with him losing speed, he is trying to get back into F1, zero chance he says publicly after his first proper test "I've lost some speed..."

Kubica will get another proper test in the Renault, the comeback attempt is very real and gaining momentum. Given Renaults situation it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get a few Fridays and even replace Palmer by seasons end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40492882

I would love to have him competitive and on the grid in 2018

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:19 pm 

lamo wrote:
The "what I lost" comments were in regards to his career and the opportunities he lost. Nothing to do with him losing speed, he is trying to get back into F1, zero chance he says publicly after his first proper test "I've lost some speed..."

Kubica will get another proper test in the Renault, the comeback attempt is very real and gaining momentum. Given Renaults situation it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get a few Fridays and even replace Palmer by seasons end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40492882

I would love to have him competitive and on the grid in 2018

Renault are staring at a massive feel good, positive PR, fairytale story. Both team and driver were at the brink... and now they're back... together!

It should help to deflect the focus from their rubbish engines

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm 

Oh please let him take the race seat after the summer break.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 pm 

Personally, I think once the second test has taken place, Renault will move quickly to make a decision. It does nobody any favours to have Palmer continuing with the team amidst all the speculation about Kubica potentially replacing him at some point this season. If they intend to make that move later on in the year, better to do it sooner and remove any doubt. Similarly, if they're not intending to make that change, make it very clear that's the case. Abiteboul's rather timid attempt to do that previously hardly put the matter to bed, and giving Kubica another test is only going to increase speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 pm 

Kubica is fairly confident of an F1 return, he estimates the chances at 80-90% and even pretty much says that's him trying to stay grounded and realistic.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-k ... es-926538/

Rumours according to other articles I've seen are that he was faster than Sirotkin during his test and that he's matching Hulkenberg's simulator times, so I'd say a Renault drive could certainly be on the cards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Kubica is fairly confident of an F1 return, he estimates the chances at 80-90% and even pretty much says that's him trying to stay grounded and realistic.

Somehow I feel that he's talking about the "possibility" (in, physical possibility) being 80-90% and not the actual chances of a drive.

Look at the wording, basically it says "the possibility of returning to F1 is 80-90%". Add 10-20% and it is "100% possible to return to F1", which does not mean that it is 100% certain that he WILL return to F1.

Just the way I'm reading it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm 

mds wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Somehow I feel that he's talking about the "possibility" (in, physical possibility) being 80-90% and not the actual chances of a drive.

Look at the wording, basically it says "the possibility of returning to F1 is 80-90%". Add 10-20% and it is "100% possible to return to F1", which does not mean that it is 100% certain that he WILL return to F1.

Ah true, I suppose that's more likely what he's talking about. I guess I'm letting my excitement get the better of me here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 am 

tootsie323 wrote:

The DW12 does not have power steering.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 am 

mds wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I don't think Kubica masters the english language well enough for us to check his wording. Also, he's not a politician, and always seemed like a straightforward guy. I think he is talking about what we are all thinking about. He does not seem to be the kind of guy to play games and do this as a publicity stunt.

I just think this has caught momentum and has its inertia.

Plus, Renault is very quiet about it, untill they are absolutely 100% sure he can do it. The only logic I see for this happening, is they don't want to create a stir, and after that look like they are "refusing" Robert. We all know that if Renault say no, it's because they are absolutely sure Robert's issue is affecting the driving. But for the rest of the world, it would just be a corporation saying no to a person with handicap. That never plays good with the audience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:21 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
I don't think Kubica masters the english language well enough for us to check his wording. Also, he's not a politician, and always seemed like a straightforward guy. I think he is talking about what we are all thinking about. He does not seem to be the kind of guy to play games and do this as a publicity stunt.

But I'm not saying he is playing games, or being political, or whatever else. He has said something, and I think that's what he meant by it. That's all.

I just can't imagine him really meaning "the chances of me being making an F1 comeback are 80-90% and I'm being conservative with that".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am 

mds wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:

But I'm not saying he is playing games, or being political, or whatever else. He has said something, and I think that's what he meant by it. That's all.

I just can't imagine him really meaning "the chances of me being making an F1 comeback are 80-90% and I'm being conservative with that".

who knows, something's definatelly going on. Because all these years he has been reserved, I might say distant. Suddenly, it seems there is a drop of hope, because also he seems to be way more present.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
mds wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:

who knows, something's definatelly going on. Because all these years he has been reserved, I might say distant. Suddenly, it seems there is a drop of hope, because also he seems to be way more present.

In any case, I'm all for it. I also think that Renault is trying to stay a bit under the radar (by saying nothing is going to happen) but I too am tempted to think more is going on.

I do feel, though, that a lot of people are underestimating how hard it is to be out of F1 for over 6 years and then come back. Schumacher was out for 3 years, and he needed quite some time to really be on top of the game again. Some are thinking he'd come back, drop in the car, and put the pressure on Nico already. I feel it would be a huge accomplishment if he starts out by matching the things Palmer is doing now, but that would probably be a disappointment to a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am 

mds wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:
mds wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:

In any case, I'm all for it. I also think that Renault is trying to stay a bit under the radar (by saying nothing is going to happen) but I too am tempted to think more is going on.

I do feel, though, that a lot of people are underestimating how hard it is to be out of F1 for over 6 years and then come back. Schumacher was out for 3 years, and he needed quite some time to really be on top of the game again. Some are thinking he'd come back, drop in the car, and put the pressure on Nico already. I feel it would be a huge accomplishment if he starts out by matching the things Palmer is doing now, but that would probably be a disappointment to a lot of people.

That's why I would give him the back end of the season.

Put him in after the summer break and give him time to get up to speed. Without wishing to be harsh he can't score less points than Palmer has been.

If he's nowhere near you can write it off as an experiment worth trying. If he is getting up to speed them give him a go in 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am 

Things have changed a lot since last time Robert raced. I do wish him the best though, such a likeable guy and talented driver, I'd love to see him back, competitive if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:12 pm 

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/06/r ... st-kubica/

Quote:
“Whilst the first day of testing at Valencia was no more than to let Robert get reacquainted with the feel of driving again,” said managing director Cyril Abiteboul, “this second test will be to assess his capabilities to return to the highest level of competition”.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

mds wrote:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/06/renault-confirm-second-test-kubica/

Quote:
“Whilst the first day of testing at Valencia was no more than to let Robert get reacquainted with the feel of driving again,” said managing director Cyril Abiteboul, “this second test will be to assess his capabilities to return to the highest level of competition”.

Lets just hope he is fast, if he can get within half a second of Hulk in the first test I think he has a good chance. I also don't think missing a race or two would be a problem. Even if he was a serious title contender missing 1 race isn't too problematic in a 20 race championship - so long as the car is reliable. It is unlikely he will be a serious title contender the first year so missing even 2-3 races I don't see as a problem or a reason to not put him in the car if he has speed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:03 pm 

mds wrote:

Quote:

Wow I wasn't expecting Abiteboul to be so forthright on the topic at this point in time

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 am 

publicity stunt

win win situation for Renault really

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:39 am 

mcdo wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

Wow I wasn't expecting Abiteboul to be so forthright on the topic at this point in time

Well he hasn't said the aim is to return with Renault... yet :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am 

mds wrote:
mcdo wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

Well he hasn't said the aim is to return with Renault... yet :)

Polish media said something about Ferrari, but I cant trust them. (I'm Polish)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:38 am 

Long time no see or hear...
Had to upgrade my account (tuki2 now). Now I will just wait and see...
Just to warm you up and help you to remember...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 080455.stm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm 

ugh...
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-kubi ... -rowlinson