planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am 

Image indycar.com

Will Power emerged out of the blue from falling 1 lap down to snatch a win in the ABC Supply 500 event at Pocono that also saw a record-breaking 42 lead changes from 10 drivers. Series leader Josef Newgarden finished 2nd and Alexander Rossi taking the final podium spot despite huge issues in the pits.

The 1st 54 laps belonged to Tony Kannan, Rossi, and Scott Dixon swaping lead after lead. In the case of Power, he began having an issue with his front-wing assembly on lap 66 foring him to change for another front wing causing him to lose 1 lap. But it turned around when Schmidt Peterson driver Sebastian Saavedra went wide on the 1st turn resulting damage to his suspension. It enabled Power to get his lap back. The turning point came when Saavedra's teammate James Hinchcliffe and the Ed Carpenter Racing entry of JR Hildebrand collided going into turn 1. Debris from the crash struck into Power's rear wing assembly resulting to have it replaced. But he also went off sequence during the stint where he would later take the lead in 154. At the same time, Power had a huge lead of 5 second going into the final laps before Newgarden and Rossi caught up the him. But the experience of Power was too much for Newgarden and Rossi where Power had to go low in the inside line to break the draft enabling to take his 32nd career victory passing Dario Franchitti, and Paul Tracy for 9th in the all-time win list.

Simon Pagenaud and Kannan rounded up the top 5 followed by Dixon, Helio Castroneves, a banged up Ryan Hunter-Reay, Graham Rahal and Carlos Munoz sealing the top 10.

With his 2nd-place finish, Newgarden stays ahead of the other contenders. The only change was Dixon who moved ahead of Castroneves for 2nd with only 16 points behind (494-476). 3rd thru 10th remain unchanged as they head out to Gateway Motorsports Park for the final night race of the season. It will be the 1st time that Indy Car will compete at the facility since 2003.

Report:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/08/08- ... race-early

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... esults.pdf

Last edited by Placid on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm 

Still trying to wrap my around how Power won that race

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Still trying to wrap my around how Power won that race

If Verstappen had done it, everyone would be talking about how he's such a sensational talent and can defend where other drivers can't...

I was also surprised. The part that really astonished me though is how he suddenly got a 5-second lead from nowhere after the stops; he wasn't even on my radar until then!

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS